Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Goddamn hate inept service writers. Why the gently caress would you order a non posi rear end for a 4x4 f150?! "Well it was cheaper of the two and i thought it wouldnt matter." like WHAT!? Cant get another one till tuesday and customer whos been super loyal is steaming red mad and threatening not to come back. I cant wait till this non selling gently caress starts school and is out of my life. Another of his famous isms: "dude why did you not even try selling this broken rear end thing?" " DUDE (like getting all angry at me,) its super buisy up front and i didnt have time to look up the parts if you wanna sell it you go right ahead.!" And if i complain, im told to just worry about myself and that its not my pay grade to look after the sales force"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Just found out the College I want to go to cuts off registration payment today at 5pm. Even though it says you can pay until 11:59PM, they have a bulletin up saying they'll be turning off online payment at 5pm.

What the gently caress guys, some of us have jobs where we have to work beyond 5 and don't have access to a computer.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Just got approached by the Make A Wish Foundation about giving a kid with bone marrow cancer a ride through the city in his dream car. Oddly, that's the same cancer my mom died from 17 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just got approached by the Make A Wish Foundation about giving a kid with bone marrow cancer a ride through the city in his dream car. Oddly, that's the same cancer my mom died from 17 years ago.

Twelve years ago I got contacted to be a bone marrow donor for some kid I didn't even know.

I said no.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I assume that means you didn't apply to be on the donor registry prior to that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Astonishing Wang posted:

Sometimes people enjoy the company of animals, and they want to have that for themselves but they don't like fish, birds or reptiles.

And then the animal dies :(

Some birds have the opposite problem. My wife and I took her sister's yellow nape amazon (parrot) when she started having children and didn't have time for him anymore. He's currently 15 years into a potential 70+ year lifespan and we're in our early 30s, so there's a good chance he will outlive us.

It's not uncommon for people to set up trusts to take care of parrots that outlive them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Huh.
I actually have a date tomorrow.
How strange.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

Huh.
How strange.

Please liveblog it for our entertainment.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Enourmo posted:

Please liveblog it for our entertainment.
I'm sure it would be entertaining, but not a chance in hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astonishing Wang posted:

I assume that means you didn't apply to be on the donor registry prior to that.

My then girlfriend had put both of us on every organ and fluid donor list you can imagine.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Take a video of his reaction when you step on the gas.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Check out what I just found in the darkest depths of my Gmail account. I haven't seen this picture since 2004.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've decided I'm incapable of purchasing a new car, except maybe out of pure desperation. (Rx-7 don't count, haha.) I need to buy something and soon. I've been driving our truck with 330k on it. Our Mini Cooper S is falling apart at 140k. My Rx-7's are not daily drivers, especially on Portland's (Or) misfunded roads. I have employee pricing through Mazda, but I'm having a hard time justifying a new Mazda- yet alone spending $30k on a CX-5. I miss my BMW 135i, but I don't miss the maintenance and I sold it due to the 19" wheels/lovely roads/having a 8yr old son/ and N54 issues. I realize nothing is perfect, but as a decent mechanic, I keep finding myself avoiding cars with known issues. It's making buying a car impossible.

HEALP ME!

I want the following:
4 doors
30MPG (ish)
Good ride quality
Leg room
Heated seats
Bluetooth phone integration

I'm looking at the following:
Mazda CX-5
Ford Escape
BMW wagon

What else should I consider? The BMW is on the list purely because I enjoy the handing/experience, but it's hard to enjoy when 80% of my driving is the same commute on lovely roads. (Thanks Portland for not maintaining your roads. Bastards.)

I just need one less thing to worry about.

Edit: Need to add that I have NO garage and loving cats that like to sleep on hoods. Oh and trees that like to drip sap on any day above 70F.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 15, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you have employee pricing through Mazda I'd say bite the bullet and just get a CX5, I doubt you'd regret it in the long run.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Fusion?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Miata is always the answer

Edit: so buying the house I need a mower. I'm currently torn between buying a JD 212, A Cub Cadet of similar vintage or a Wheel Horse. (I'm talking older iron here). New poo poo is so god drat expensive and it just doesn't seem to last. Mostly mowing, but I picked these particular models because of attachments. All the models I chose have snow blowers for sale in the 300 range, blades for next to nothing and obviously, mower decks.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 15, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Do it!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I swear to god half the people around me were suicidal today. Had a kid ride a bicycle out in the middle of a busy road and had to slam on the brakes. Then had a car pull out in front of me on a 2 lane road (no shoulder) with a 55 mph speed limit. I had to dodge into the turning lane (thank gently caress there was one there, otherwise it would have been hitting a ditch at about 50 or hitting someone head on).

You see two cars in front of me in it, once they turn I gun it trying to get up to the speed limit (we were busy as gently caress today, so every second counted).

loving idiot.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, you did come out from behind a turning suv with it floored. And you saw the guy start coming out, and kept accelerating. If you had gone into a ditch or plowed into the guy or a car in the turn lane I don't think you'd get much sympathy based on the video.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Check out what I just found in the darkest depths of my Gmail account. I haven't seen this picture since 2004.

That's, like, two Biturbos.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That was when I won a $3000 grant for college free and clear and looked into it and discovered that I was allowed to use it to buy tools for the auto tech program, so I pulled it all out in cash, took that photo, and gave it all to the tool truck.

The rest is history.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boy it's nice when my mom rushes out in a panic attack thinking that I'm committing suicide the slow way because I'm unemployed and don't sleep at the correct time and not living on a loving kale only diet

[Telling me she thinks I'm killing myself with my sleep schedule is a great way to relax and help me get to sleep hth]

And now I'm obliged to go back to counseling and stay in contact with hey every single day once I move out... for HER mental well being

What the gently caress is going on in my life

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ExplodingSims posted:

Just found out the College I want to go to cuts off registration payment today at 5pm. Even though it says you can pay until 11:59PM, they have a bulletin up saying they'll be turning off online payment at 5pm.

What the gently caress guys, some of us have jobs where we have to work beyond 5 and don't have access to a computer.

Either you posted this before work and you should have paid instead of complaining on the internet, or you're phone posting in which case you have an internet connection and a browser and you should pay now instead of complaining. Yes it's dumb and sucks but you obviously have a way around it.

Rhyno posted:

I said no.

Why?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yep predictably I'm wide the gently caress awake and completely amped up an hour later over all the bullshit that's gone on my life

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elmnt80 posted:

Take a video of his reaction when you step on the gas.

Yessssss.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean half the screwed up poo poo in my brain is p much a direct result of doing this same dumping her insecurities on me poo poo as a kid

[be concerned I'm not successful enough in elementary school>put me on Ritalin>let shrinks convince her I an a very special snowflake who needs more than public school to succeed>split me from the friend group I'm just starting to bond with in 9th grade to send me to boarding school in loving VERMONT>crash and burn after 2 weeks there>send me to live with my dad for high school instead of back to the one I was at so I can deal with being ostracized yet again because now clearly RIGID AUTHORITY is what I need. All of which leads to me finishing high school with ZERO lifelong friends and no memories of people who, in contrast, remember me by name and leaving me with only one "friend" who turned out to be the biggest prick on the planet and is responsible for the other half of my bullshit]

BUT HEY I'M SURE IT'LL WORK OUT loving GREAT THIS TIME WITH A COLLEGE DEGREE AND A loving APARTMENT LEASE AT STAKE IF I CAN'T KEEP MY poo poo TOGETHER

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

yay! I traded the miata for a 2008 impreza hatchback and I couldn't be happier :buddy: Own it free and clear and so far I can see why people love subarus so much. This thing rides like a couch with pillows for wheels. I miss nice riding cars in this festering poo poo pit they call Houston. The roads here are so bad I think 50% of people that own trucks justify it by the road they most frequently drive on.

Man, drove almost 100 miles last night and I feel fresh as a flower. I'd feel so beat upon in my miata. My wife hated that car because of the ride and how I took corners, throwing her around. Having a cush daily driver is the tits. I can also fit all her art festival booth gear into the hatch, including the ez up tent. I don't even have to unbolt the seat bottoms like I had to in the focus wagon! Now to make this stereo not sound like radio shack speakers stuffed into cigar boxes hooked up to a mini boombox...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Well, you did come out from behind a turning suv with it floored. And you saw the guy start coming out, and kept accelerating. If you had gone into a ditch or plowed into the guy or a car in the turn lane I don't think you'd get much sympathy based on the video.

Hardly floored (it was about half throttle, but I did downshift into 2nd once the SUV turned, so I could get up to the speed limit quicker - the gearing on this car is stupid tall, 2nd will get me to over 60), but yeah, from behind a turning SUV. Still, during the day I usually drive with my foglights on (blinding HIDz that I pretty much only use as daytime running lights, since I drive a silver car on predominantly cement roads... or on very dark roads with no other traffic) for that very reason - they're so bright that you can't NOT see them, and as soon as I saw them inching out I started flashing my high beams (which will also cause the HID fogs to flash off and on). They also had a clear line of sight of me as the SUV in front of me entered the turning lane, and the driver made eye contact with me before pulling out. I turn off the fogs if I'm stuck at a light for a bit to be considerate of other drivers.

Either way, 55 mph road, they inch out doing maybe 10-15 at most, with a large line of cars coming at them on their side of the road. There were several cars behind me (at least 7-8 - that's a very long protected left turn light), and several near misses from everyone hitting their brakes - one did wind up in the ditch (right side up thankfully). As far as I know, I was the only one who opted to use the turn lane, since I knew there was no way I could have stopped. I'll own up to the fact that I should have let off the throttle and gone for the brakes when I saw them starting to inch out, but I was already flicking the high beam switch constantly when I saw them start to inch forward, and hoped they'd see me (I figured "nobody can be THAT stupid, right?" :doh). Even at the speed I was going when I saw them inching out, it would have been a very close call if I had threshold braked and not swerved (lovely cheap brake pads, lovely cheap tires, asphalt road - not a good combo).

I hosed up just as much as they did, but gently caress, who the gently caress pulls out into a 55 mph rural 2 lane road like that, especially when there's a line of cars coming at you, one of which is already flashing their lights at you just as you start to inch forward?

Enourmo posted:

Boy it's nice when my mom rushes out in a panic attack thinking that I'm committing suicide the slow way because I'm unemployed and don't sleep at the correct time and not living on a loving kale only diet

[Telling me she thinks I'm killing myself with my sleep schedule is a great way to relax and help me get to sleep hth]

And now I'm obliged to go back to counseling and stay in contact with hey every single day once I move out... for HER mental well being

I see your mother has been taking notes from my mother. Co-dependence. Gotta love it.

Apparently, because I rearranged my room and found a beer bottle cap under the bed, and left it on my desk while moving the bed, that means I'm chugging a 12 pack a day. I'll admit I've slipped up twice with the sobriety, but it's been a 6 pack both times, not the usual equivalent to an 18-30 pack. I'm out of Naltrexone, and my doctor just got kicked out of my insurance network for fraud, so I'm trying to find yet another new doctor (and being HMO, that means any changes won't take effect until the 1st). Not much of an excuse, but the Naltrexone really does help with the cravings.

I also managed to rediscover that bed frames get hungry occasionally. Linked for very minor gore. Oddly, it really didn't hurt much at any point beyond a dull ache, but it bled like a motherfucker for a good 10 minutes... then while typing about 2 hours later, I noticed some keys were sticky - turns out my finger was leaking pretty good, so I wound up ripping off the bandages and wrapping it in gauze and tape. Pulled a small chunk of skin out of the bed frame, fucker was pretty hungry judging by the chunk it took.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

That was when I won a $3000 grant for college free and clear and looked into it and discovered that I was allowed to use it to buy tools for the auto tech program, so I pulled it all out in cash, took that photo, and gave it all to the tool truck.

The rest is history.

I had a full loving ride for my junior year at UNT, between the Pell grant and UNT grants (between GPA and income) - even enough left over to pay for the cheaper dorms (same ones I was already living in), wouldn't have needed any loans, since I was working part time and could have paid for books easily. But since I had attempted too many hours, they said "welp" and yanked it out from under me after I'd signed up for classes (oh and if you don't show up for the first day, or even ever, they don't automatically drop you; you have to go up there in person and drop out, they don't let you do it by fax or email - otherwise you get sent to collections, YAY!), and I can never attend any for-credit school in the US again without running into the same poo poo after 1 semester. I hosed around and dropped out of a lot of classes in the late 1990s thanks to :catdrugs:, and apparently the laws that were passed in the mid 00s don't let anyone get grandfathered, even though I paid for all of those classes out of pocket (I finished my sophomore year at UNT with all financial aid - first time I ever used financial aid - then they did an audit at the end of the term and said "lol nope").

It was nearly $6000 in grants. I'm still pissed about that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SH/SC scares me, so does IYG. Well, sometimes.

I've rearranged my room. Which means the TV needs to go on another wall (along with the speakers, but those are the easy part). The a/v receiver will remain where it is now.

Anyone have experience with the HDMI <-> ethernet <-> HDMI kits? I know most require CAT6, just wondering if anyone's tried them with CAT5E before.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

some texas redneck posted:

SH/SC scares me, so does IYG. Well, sometimes.

I've rearranged my room. Which means the TV needs to go on another wall (along with the speakers, but those are the easy part). The a/v receiver will remain where it is now.

Anyone have experience with the HDMI <-> ethernet <-> HDMI kits? I know most require CAT6, just wondering if anyone's tried them with CAT5E before.

Why not just use cat6?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I question the kids choice in cars but that's a pretty sweet Make A Wish request. You need to do this and preferably have a 1:8 or something scale model of your car in the same color he can take with him. Make A Wish should supply this, if not and you don't want to get in touch and I will

the spyder posted:

I've decided I'm incapable of purchasing a new car, except maybe out of pure desperation.
My default boring commuter car recommendation is always a VW diesel of some type. I like the golf but if you need space a passat or wagon might be better.

ilkhan posted:

Huh.
How strange.
Relax, have fun :hfive:

Couldn't sleep so made a massive breakfast now I don't want to move. Pretty good way to start a weekend.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 15, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

astrollinthepork posted:

Why not just use cat6?
Probably has cat5 run through the wall or ceiling already.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some texas redneck posted:

I hosed up just as much as they did, but gently caress, who the gently caress pulls out into a 55 mph rural 2 lane road like that, especially when there's a line of cars coming at you, one of which is already flashing their lights at you just as you start to inch forward?

That's not rural, and you were at well more than half throttle. If you get pissed off enough to rage about that, you'd never make it driving in Ohio.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Brigdh posted:

Being an industry insider, I try to keep my head out of the cellphone rumor mill. It usually more frustrating than amusing.

I would say your current opinion of them is mostly accurate. Huawei is heavily invested in the China market, where volume is king and high end just doesn't sell as many units. China is also the only place that has TDCDMA, which is kind of "backwards" from the rest of the world. There are challenges, but maybe those end up bringing new ideas to the table.

Blackberry or Nokia would have been hilarious alternatives.

Huawei made the ideos u8150, that sold here as a google branded android phone in 2010.
I've got one and it still works, pretty slow though, but it was only a cheap ~$150 phone. I still use mine as a USB drive/listening to podcasts in bed and it not mattering if the battery is near flat in the morning.

I'm loving bored stuck at home with a busted knee (going to have to wait for a lone time for a free public health system complete knee replacement).
I've hosed around with old phones to kill the boredom.

I wish I could find some old skt a nforce2 mobos as I have a heap of athlon CPUs, ddr RAM and AGP video cards to further waste my time with. I used to have a few nforce 2 boards but they died and I threw them out. Shame as I would have replaced the caps and try revive them. But the mobos are so old no one even sells them s/h any more.

Enourmo posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

I go through the same thing.
I've got enough problems and I don't need any manufactured drama.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 15, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There's nothing wrong with a cx5. My friends dad has one and it's really nice. I'd also recommend a subaru of some sort. Won't the cx5 be easier to spot in the parking lot though? Or am I thinking of a different part of the country?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I mean half the screwed up poo poo in my brain is p much a direct result of doing this same dumping her insecurities on me poo poo as a kid

Tell your mom to gently caress off and sever.

Seriously, some people are loyal to family to a fault. If you wouldn't let anyone else treat you like dogshit why is it ok for family to do it?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Enourmo posted:

As somebody with a mom that has ridiculous paranoia and just brought a fuckload of mental baggage into our household that made me miserable as gently caress the best thing you can do is move the gently caress out by any means necessary. You can maintain a friendly relationship while visiting but as soon as the shitshow starts up again you can just leave which brings incredible peace of mind.

I may live in an extremely lovely neighborhood now where its very likely some of the units in my building are being used as meth labs, but god drat at least I don't have to deal with the fallout from poo poo like her sulking in her room for a week because one aunt and uncle she doesn't like bought a house on the lake and why is god so unfair. Or the even better "You're sister tried 'killing' herself again but we're not sending her to any counselling or putting her on any sort of medication" episodes that seemed to be a ridiculous co-dependency between my mom and sister that magically stopped when I moved out and my sister was back to being the center of attention.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beater Vipers are the best Vipers:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/5166407741.html

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I get that old Chryslers tend to have gremlins but I really wish this Caravan I'm borrowing didn't have both the brake and oil lights constantly lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I question the kids choice in cars but that's a pretty sweet Make A Wish request. You need to do this and preferably have a 1:8 or something scale model of your car in the same color he can take with him. Make A Wish should supply this, if not and you don't want to get in touch and I will

Of course I'm doing this. I'm talking to Lambo HQ about hooking the kid up with all sorts of swag. Finding a model of my car is a huge pain in the rear end but I know of a place on ebay I can snag one.

Apparently they've also hooked him up with a behind the scenes museum tour here in Seattle. So the plan is I pick him up at his house, drive him to the museum, then drive him to the dog park where the local samoyed club is going to surprise him with a party (he loves samoyeds and Lamborghinis apparently).

• Locked thread