Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Just looked at the schedule for my overtime shift tonight: the person closing with me took sick leave, we can't use hold over on the guys that leave at 10:30PM because they both have 9 hour quick turns and the 2 on RDOs today have OT tomorrow so they're ruled out. Guess Albuquerque Center gets to take my airspace a few hours early. :allears: FAA hiring :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What's up in Atlanta im stuck swearing my rear end off in a md88 and all I hear is ground stip

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

jaegerx posted:

What's up in Atlanta im stuck swearing my rear end off in a md88 and all I hear is ground stip

Sucks you didn't proofread this before you pasted the same question in 3 threads.

There are thunderstorms.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Ferret King posted:

Sucks you didn't proofread this before you pasted the same question in 3 threads.

There are thunderstorms.

Eh I was half asleep. Was getting pissed cause my connection only had 30 minutes in between.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So what's up with this new "scandal" involving FLM's and padding their currency? I hear it started at Houston Center after there was a deal while a sup was "getting currency" but it wasn't the sup at the sector. One of our guys has apparently not been current since November. Pretty crazy poo poo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I didn't hear about anything like that. Though we did just get briefed that, nationwide, currency requirements are not being met like, 25% of the time.

It didn't mention whether it was controllers or supervisors most commonly failing to meet currency. I guess it makes sense that it would most often be supervisors, as they plug in the least.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Everyone knows that it's super important for supervisors to be plugged in for four hours a month, as long as it's only between 0630 and 0730 local, on the D side, call forwarded, at a sector with no more than four airplanes in it, while turned around and having a conversation with the low side controller.

Bonus points if they use the guy coming in on a morning OT shift as CIC.

(Three of our five supervisors actually do stay current on a radar position, but they're the exception at our facility.)

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

MrYenko posted:

Everyone knows that it's super important for supervisors to be plugged in for four hours a month, as long as it's only between 0630 and 0730 local, on the D side, call forwarded, at a sector with no more than four airplanes in it, while turned around and having a conversation with the low side controller.

Bonus points if they use the guy coming in on a morning OT shift as CIC.

(Three of our five supervisors actually do stay current on a radar position, but they're the exception at our facility.)

The big facility world is so different from the small. Where I'm working now the supes put in about 80-90% as much TOP as the controllers, and that covers all positions and all times of day.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think it just varies. At Waco the supervisors logged the minimum. At Corpus they do the same.

I'd consider both to be small facilities.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Facebook just reminded me of this classic

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Facebook just reminded me of this classic

That one is amazing in every way. I keep this one on my desk to remind me of the great HVAC loss-of-control of 2014.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else get the new ERIDS screens(screen that lets us look things up for non-center folks)? They're loving HUGE.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Anyone else get the new ERIDS screens(screen that lets us look things up for non-center folks)? They're loving HUGE.

Ya, we've had em for about a month. Our tech-ops left two monitor button-pusher things on each monitor, which you can use to adjust it.

...Or, if you're like me, you can use them to set it to a maximum-daylight brightness mode, zoom in on a blank white space on a chart or LOA document, and blind people as they walk around the corner.

:v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
In the terminal environment we're still working off a 486 PC based system:

http://www.sysatl.com/products/ids4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I generally think of myself as pretty computer savvy, but I've worked for the FAA for two and a half years, and was exposed to ERIDS for another three and a half years before that, and I STILL can't figure out how to search the NOTAM system for anything specific.

If you click away from the new NOTAM notification page, that fucker is as good as lost.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So it's about as intuitive as it is for pilots to retrieve and decipher Notices To Airmen?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

So it's about as intuitive as it is for pilots to retrieve and decipher Notices To Airmen?

Worse, if you can imagine that. I find it easier to wait for a break, and grab the notams off DUATS on my phone.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Did someone working at ZDC just get transferred to Hawaii?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Haha, just got the email saying they're ATC Zero. Just says ERAM outage. "Expect possible routes and entrail" :lol:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 15, 2015

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Talked to some former coworkers out there, apparently ERAM poo poo the bed, and when they tried to fail-over to HOST it dropped all the flight plan data out of the FDIO. They've been trying to get workarounds in place, but it's been quite the day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JohnClark posted:

Talked to some former coworkers out there, apparently ERAM poo poo the bed, and when they tried to fail-over to HOST it dropped all the flight plan data out of the FDIO. They've been trying to get workarounds in place, but it's been quite the day.

They still have HOST as the backup? Ours is DARC which wouldn't really be any different than just dumping all of the flight plan data and all hell breaking loose if we had to go to it. poo poo, I've never actually used DARC, just the "simulation" they set up so you can get checked out. I'd be loving lost.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

fknlo posted:

They still have HOST as the backup? Ours is DARC which wouldn't really be any different than just dumping all of the flight plan data and all hell breaking loose if we had to go to it. poo poo, I've never actually used DARC, just the "simulation" they set up so you can get checked out. I'd be loving lost.
They would go DARC at ZDC once a week on the midshift while I was out there, just to make sure it still worked mostly. They only made the switchover to ERAM within the last year, I guess they must still have the HOST equipment in place. Thank goodness, cuz damnit, I want to get to the beach in North Carolina today! :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JohnClark posted:

They would go DARC at ZDC once a week on the midshift while I was out there, just to make sure it still worked mostly. They only made the switchover to ERAM within the last year, I guess they must still have the HOST equipment in place. Thank goodness, cuz damnit, I want to get to the beach in North Carolina today! :)

Didn't even think about how long they'd been on ERAM. I'm pretty sure we got rid of the HOST equipment almost a couple years ago at this point.

I'm constantly amazed at how "lucky" the FAA is getting with some of these incidents as far as the timing of them goes. It's a Saturday morning, so this isn't going to be some huge deal. Some minor inconveniences provided they get it figured out and that's it. ZAU went down a couple of hours before the morning push when it would have been pure chaos. Stuff like that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

:golfclap:

To explain the joke:

The guy who sliced his own throat and set chicago center on fire a few months ago, causing the outage there, was facing a transfer to Hawaii that he didn't want.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 15, 2015

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

fknlo posted:

Didn't even think about how long they'd been on ERAM. I'm pretty sure we got rid of the HOST equipment almost a couple years ago at this point.

I'm constantly amazed at how "lucky" the FAA is getting with some of these incidents as far as the timing of them goes. It's a Saturday morning, so this isn't going to be some huge deal. Some minor inconveniences provided they get it figured out and that's it. ZAU went down a couple of hours before the morning push when it would have been pure chaos. Stuff like that.

I had the same thought. And honestly, though it'll seem a bit callous, both 9/11 and the Great Recession helped the FAA out as well, kept traffic depressed enough that their understaffing hasn't proven catastrophic as yet.

That aside, I'll be really interested to hear what exactly went wrong with ERAM. When I got briefed on it they made it sound as though it was backed up six ways from Sunday, I'm very curious to know how it completely failed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

By my count, this is the third complete failure of ERAM, or its fallback abilities. ZLA had one, ZMA had one, and now ZDC.

(ZMAs was rather minor, and didn't cause significant delays.)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

:golfclap:

To explain the joke:

The guy who sliced his own throat and set chicago center on fire a few months ago, causing the outage there, was facing a transfer to Hawaii that he didn't want.

Only a crazy person would turn down a transfer from Chicago to Hawaii as winter approaches...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fordan posted:

Only a crazy person would turn down a transfer from Chicago to Hawaii as winter approaches...

Dude sliced his throat and torched the place. He was for sure crazy.

I like how RIC is almost in the middle of the area served by ZDC. So glad I didn't have to travel today.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm told the issue at ZDC is that a flight plan got stuck in the system and kept regenerating until it used up all the available 3 digit ID numbers we use. This crashed the main ERAM channel. When they switched to the backup it happened again and took it down as well. So theoretically, if you had enough airplanes to run out of the ID numbers your system would crash. I don't think that's a number that's actually achievable, so we may be safe!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Obligatory

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

What's the acid menu?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

squeakygeek posted:

What's the acid menu?

Aircraft ID.

It provides an easy reference for aircraft types. For ATC and flight planning purposes, aircraft types are abbreviated to 4 characters or less. Sometimes you see a weird one come through that you're not familiar with. Or sometimes a pilot calls himself "Geronimo" and you can't remember what ID that is (PA23).

It also provides a picture of the aircraft (at least, one of the variants) and rough performance characteristics. For the terminal/tower guys, it also provides the weight category of the aircraft, which is important for knowing what wake turbulence rules to apply, if any, and what Same Runway Separation to apply.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The EnRoute Information Display System (gently caress me I can't believe I remembered that acronym) that we have at centers doesn't have a picture. It does have number and type of engines, and some generic climb and descent rate numbers, that are mostly-completely-not-close-to-reality.

Also, ours died today, center wide. So of course some guy wanted to shoot an obscure GPS approach to an uncontrolled field nobody ever goes to.

Queue the mad search for paper charts while I try to string the guy along long enough to get the plate.

Question for you guys, when a helicopter checks in looking for flight following, what do you put in for the type? I have a pet peeve about it, and it seems like damned near everyone just puts HELO. It makes me want to start putting PLNE in for fixed wing VFRs.

I ask, because I had a HELO/U truck into my airspace at 155kts across the ground the other day, and when I asked his type, it was a godamned S61N. Just a bit different than a Robinson or something.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Question for you guys, when a helicopter checks in looking for flight following, what do you put in for the type? I have a pet peeve about it, and it seems like damned near everyone just puts HELO. It makes me want to start putting PLNE in for fixed wing VFRs.

I ask, because I had a HELO/U truck into my airspace at 155kts across the ground the other day, and when I asked his type, it was a godamned S61N. Just a bit different than a Robinson or something.

Guilty. I'm a real sperg about aircraft types too, but Helicopters are Helicopters and usually nobody gives a poo poo.

EDIT: I even make amendments when Cherokees are put in as "PA28" instead of "P28A."

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 18, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The Ferret King posted:

Or sometimes a pilot calls himself "Geronimo" and you can't remember what ID that is (PA23).

Obscure official aircraft types, how I love thee. I currently fly the Beech 99, which is officially named the "Airliner," which I guess is a meaningful name that differentiates it among early/mid Beeches. If you're just talking about early/mid Beeches.

But most of the time ATC will call me out to other planes as "traffic X o'clock, Y miles, Z thousand feet, an airliner" which is pretty hilarious to listen to as I imagine the puzzlement in the cockpit listening to this.

Others will call me a King Air, which, strictly speaking is wrong, but really is about a thousand times more accurate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Guilty. I'm a real sperg about aircraft types too, but Helicopters are Helicopters and usually nobody gives a poo poo.

EDIT: I even make amendments when Cherokees are put in as "PA28" instead of "P28A."

Ever get something strange? One of my dad's friends took me up in a globe swift, the conversation with ATC on the ground went something like this:
"... type?"
"Globe Swift"
"Say again"
"Globe Swift"
"what?"
"Golf Charlie one"

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The EnRoute Information Display System (gently caress me I can't believe I remembered that acronym) that we have at centers doesn't have a picture. It does have number and type of engines, and some generic climb and descent rate numbers, that are mostly-completely-not-close-to-reality.

Also, ours died today, center wide. So of course some guy wanted to shoot an obscure GPS approach to an uncontrolled field nobody ever goes to.

Queue the mad search for paper charts while I try to string the guy along long enough to get the plate.

I will put HELO on local VFR flights, because honestly if he's just hanging around in our airspace then it's typically not a big deal (although approach tagged a guy as HELO the other day, had just a november callsign, and when I looked out the window to pick him up it turned out to be a privately owned Chinook!). If it's a NAS VFR then I'll get the actual type to put in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Ever get something strange? One of my dad's friends took me up in a globe swift, the conversation with ATC on the ground went something like this:
"... type?"
"Globe Swift"
"Say again"
"Globe Swift"
"what?"
"Golf Charlie one"

I've had to say "PHONETICS PLEASE" multiple times after multiple attempts to get an aircraft ID. No, I don't know what obscure/uncommon aircraft is, just give me the loving phonetics. Hell, give me the phonetics on common ones too. I can't keep all the Piper indian names straight either.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

I've had to say "PHONETICS PLEASE" multiple times after multiple attempts to get an aircraft ID. No, I don't know what obscure/uncommon aircraft is, just give me the loving phonetics. Hell, give me the phonetics on common ones too. I can't keep all the Piper indian names straight either.

While near Piper Saratoga, the Piper Archer shot a Piper Arrow, hitting the Piper Warrior, and making him feel like a real Piper Comanche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

"... type?"
"Globe Swift"
"Say again"
"Globe Swift"
"what?"
"Golf Charlie one"

I retain the aircraft type for the Globe Swift in memory because there are some that fly through here and nobody ever remembers the ID. I was considering using it as a second example in my earlier post even, and now I wish I had.

We also have a Found Air Expedition (FBA3) that runs pipeline patrols regularly. And a Flight Design CTLS (FDCT) light sport that is hangared at one of our satellite airports.