Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Really? I've always thought of Quake as being even more twitchy a shooter than Doom. Everything is so immediate and squirrely and bouncy. I don't remember any anxiety or horror, but I do remember a big lava dude that dies when you run around him twice.

Quake frightens me in a way no other FPS really can, and I play it very slowly and methodically, "slicing the pie" around every corner and saving my game obsessively. Now that I'm getting better at it I don't have quite the trepidation I used to but it's not like Doom where I can just run into a fight guns blazing and mix it up with impunity. I feel the presence of each and every monster.

Tentative Quake equivalent to Linguica's analysis of Doom Ii enemies. Might form the basis of a long form Tumblr post at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't remember seeing this here, but it was originally posted on ESR on July 31st. QuakeLive is going to let private servers go back up in a future update.

We're basically handing out beta keys for the client and (Linux only) dedicated server to whoever wants them. I'm sponge on QuakeNet and sponge- on SynIRC if anyone is interested, since I don't have PMs here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mak0rz posted:

quake is about shooting grenades into the faces if eldritch horrors while running and jumping circles around them at half the speed of sound and laughing at the flying meat and gurgling sound produced when they explode hth
When I played Scourge of Armagon recently I had both the music for that and the NIN Quake ambiance on a playlist. When the NIN stuff was playing, the game felt pretty disturbing and intense. That's the power of Trent right there.

In general it's nutty fun like you mention, but Quake does have a lot of ambiance. The crazy NIN ambiance though really takes it to another level.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MrBims posted:

For actually fighting enemies, the optimal strategy is usually popping out of corners, since the nastiest attacks are area-denial (Ogre), homing (Vore), or charging lightning-gun (Shambler).

Ogres and Vores can be defeated with classic strafing. Ogres are self-explanitory, but with Vores, you need to circle-strafe so the ball is caught in an endless loop of trailing behind you. It's a little more risky, but it lets you take out Vores much faster. Shambers are the only enemy that really require corner popping.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Okay, yeah, I'm pretty impressed with the optimization work that happened in BDv20. I just tested it with Sunder. Yes, the slaughterfest itself. 1080p, openGL.

I've got a so-so PC (660ti, 8gb RAM, i5-3570k - was mid-range when I bought it a few years back). Drops started getting nasty when it was cramming enemies on top of each other and causing pathing issues, but drops only started dropping frames noticeably once enemy counts went over 1000 on maps like The Hags Finger which is just one enormous open complex. Furnace was a total no-go (4000+ reduced it to a crawl), but any modern PC should be able to run anything with sub-1000 enemies.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 15, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

laserghost posted:

I've got some real stinkers in my collection, my recent acquisition is a Russian FPS Operation Matriarchy, where you, as a brave male, fight women infected with some alien cyber virus, a'la really sexist version of Stroggs. It's from 2005, though.

Sounds a lot like Harmony. Except flipped.

Maybe they're the same thing and each side sees the other as infected :tinfoil:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

God knows if it's any good or not, I should probably try it out sometime.

Last Rites is definitely an odd duck. It's got a lot of high points, but none of them are utilized well enough to actually make it a good game. For one, it has the ability to do true 3D stuff--the pickups are models--but the level design doesn't reflect it at all. The levels are almost entirely big boxes with a few smaller boxes throughout. The graphics are pretty cool, but when you get down to the meat of them, everything of consequence is pretty much gray and brown. Interesting monster designs, but bland gray walls and bland gray guns. You have AI teammates who help you fight off the zombies, but they have a tendency to just wander around aimlessly and end up getting themselves killed. All in all, it feels sort of like a 2.5D predecessor to Left 4 Dead that just didn't put in enough effort to be memorable.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The most obscure FPS I own is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnG6uY0eS4o

It's OK. Like a slower paced arena shooter.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

All in all, it feels sort of like a 2.5D predecessor to Left 4 Dead that just didn't put in enough effort to be memorable.

Huh, I should probably give it a chance then. Thanks!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

The most obscure FPS I own is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnG6uY0eS4o

It's OK. Like a slower paced arena shooter.

Fun fact: That was created by GSC Game World, the developers of the STALKER series. Early STALKER alphas use some Firestrarter assets as placeholders.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

Huh, I should probably give it a chance then. Thanks!

Just note that I said it didn't put in the effort to be memorable. By that I mean it's not that great, so don't complain to me if you get bored with it after slogging through a few levels.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

catlord posted:

I think they released it as freeware at some point. I've mostly heard it's not even worth it then, but I've been tempted to find it, I must admit.

G.O.R.E. Ultimate Soldier has some really good ideas along with some insanely bad decisions. The weapons are an absolute joy. A riot shotty with an energy shield, a quad barreled shotty for up-close hell, the assault rifle's alt fire can cause enemies to pass out, the sniper rifle's energy charge can demolish even the hardiest of things, meaty rocket launcher/grenade launcher and all sorts of stuff I can't remember. The enemies and yourself all have specific bodypart damage as well as armor, so hitting exposed areas is really important to keep moving forward. Some encounters you really want to have a helmet, as the enemies will focus your head in some parts of the game. The stamina system, while not the best implementation, is neat because you AND enemies can pass out when it runs too low or it's brought down into negatives. (This can be seen as a bad thing too as it's a pain to have to just stop when you run low on stamina) Coincidentally, the olden days of it's multiplayer even allowed you to play some of the boss monsters, which was just downright fun to do.

The bad is nearly inexcusable stuff though. The design of the levels and enemy placement is such that you can easily get hosed the first time you encounter them, so saving neurotically is key to beating it on harder difficulties. On top of that, you can REALLY tell the engine is not designed to allow any moving platforms or changing level geometry, and by god do things feel really soulless once you notice. On top of that, everything's almost a little TOO spongey. Later in the game when you 'enter the computer' the goofy skeletons and demon poo poo you face will wreck your face the first time you encounter them. And you will really come to HATE those loving fat, beer drinking assholes who just take FOREVER to bring down if you don't unload atleast a quarter of an AR clip into their heads. (I guess they're thick-headed???) Even though the weapons themselves are neat, the means to select them is absurd, with one of them you have to press 6 three times to select if you aren't mouse scrolling through the weapons. (YES HAHAHA 666 WE GET IT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT FUN TO ACTUALLY DO THAT EVERY TIME I WANT THAT WEAPON)
Finally, the final boss is literally just a CyberDemon fight. like it's just an ugly 3D red cyberdemon knockoff in a gigantic room, you just run from it and fire until it gets close, then run around to the opposite side of the room again. It also comes out of loving nowhere and is not even remotely thematic with the rest of the game.

All in all it's hugely ambitious with a team of programmers that simply weren't up to snuff, and an art team that simply couldn't make anything all that interesting after they got the first few enemies done with.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 15, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Fun fact: That was created by GSC Game World, the developers of the STALKER series. Early STALKER alphas use some Firestrarter assets as placeholders.

Oh wow. Didn't even know that :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And if you ever played Cossacks, it was fun RTS with huge scale battles. Codename Outbreak at the other hand was awful in all aspects.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

G.O.R.E. Ultimate Soldier has some really good ideas along with some insanely bad decisions. The weapons are an absolute joy, though. a riot shotty with an energy shield, a quad barreled shotty for up-close hell, the assault rifle's alt fire can cause enemies to pass out, the sniper rifle's energy charge can demolish even the hardiest of things, and all sorts of stuff I can't remember. The enemies and yourself all have specific bodypart damage as well as armor, so hitting exposed areas is really important to keep moving forward. some encounters you really want to have a helmet, as the enemies will focus your head in some parts of the game. The stamina system, while not the best implementation, is neat because you AND enemies can pass out when it runs too low or it's brought down into negatives. (this can be seen as a bad thing too as it's a pain to have to just stop when you run low on stamina) Coincidentally, the olden days of it's multiplayer even allowed you to play some of the boss monsters, which was just downright fun to do.
The bad is nearly inexcusable stuff though. The design of the levels and enemy placement is such that you can easily get hosed the first time you encounter them, so saving neurotically is key to beating it on harder difficulties. On top of that, you can REALLY tell the engine is not designed to allow any moving platforms or changing level geometry, and by god do things feel really soulless once you notice. On top of that, everything's almost a little TOO spongey. Later in the game when you 'enter the computer' the goofy skeletons and demon poo poo you face will wreck your face the first time you encounter them. And you will really come to HATE those loving fat, beer drinking assholes who just take FOREVER to bring down if you don't unload atleast a quarter of an AR clip into their heads. (I guess they're thick-headed???) Even though the weapons themselves are neat, the means to select them is absurd, with one of them you have to press 6 three times to select if you aren't mouse scrolling through the weapons. (YES HAHAHA 666 WE GET IT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT FUN TO ACTUALLY DO THAT EVERY TIME I WANT THAT WEAPON)

All in all it's hugely ambitious with a team of programmers that simply weren't up to snuff, and an art team that simply couldn't make anything all that interesting after they got the first few enemies done with.

I remember watching some gameplay of that and I remember whenever the player runs low on stamina, they starting breathing really heavy.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Most obscure one I can think of that I played was the shareware version of Bad Toys. It was terrifying as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLiXF8U1-dw

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ogres and Vores can be defeated with classic strafing. Ogres are self-explanitory, but with Vores, you need to circle-strafe so the ball is caught in an endless loop of trailing behind you. It's a little more risky, but it lets you take out Vores much faster. Shambers are the only enemy that really require corner popping.
Heck, Shamblers can be made quick work of if you get in their grill to trigger their slow melee attack and quickly dodge backward, but not so far back that you leave their melee range and trigger their ranged lightning attack. Also Super Nailguns seem to work the fastest on them, out of the normal weaponset, so I like to break that out if I have one when a Shamblers pops up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Colon Semicolon posted:

G.O.R.E. Ultimate Soldier

Haha, nice write up. It does sound like a vaguely interesting curiosity, if only for how a handful of interesting ideas can easily be brought down.

I somehow missed that ioRTCW got a release and I tried it out. It runs pretty well, with the exception of the FOV has the weapons ever so slightly cut off. cg_fov 106 doesn't seem to work, has anybody else checked it out? Anybody else have any thoughts on it? Other than the weapons it seems to be running just fine, so I don't think it's a big issue, just a mild annoyance.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Slowed down for your amusement/education: ZDoom drawing various complex scenes piece by piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhmvIykT_8g

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rocket Pan posted:

Slowed down for your amusement/education: ZDoom drawing various complex scenes piece by piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhmvIykT_8g

I wish there was a way to turn this video into a screen-saver.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Colon Semicolon posted:

And you will really come to HATE those loving fat, beer drinking assholes who just take FOREVER to bring down if you don't unload atleast a quarter of an AR clip into their heads. (I guess they're thick-headed???)

WHERES THE PARTY

Gore had bar-none the best voice-acting in any FPS I've ever played. Every single person cranked the ham up to 11 and firefights between enemies and allies were nothing short of hysterical since it was composed of roomfuls of people screaming at each other and unloading chainguns into each other's spongey faces from 5 feet away. And don't you dare talk crap on the cackling chainsaw skeleton horde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k559WQYKyA4&t=53s

Commander Keenan posted:

Most obscure one I can think of that I played was the shareware version of Bad Toys. It was terrifying as a kid.

I also remember this and also remember being scared as hell. The complete lack of music, and the weird echoing effects that happened every so often made this game feel like a bizarre mix of Wolfenstein and LSD.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This is the most obscure FPS I have: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/lifes-battle-amazing/ http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/lifes-battle/1/

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh, Christian FPS games. Eternal War: Shadows of Light is basically a standalone Quake mod which someone released as a commercial game. Some of the resources are even lifted from Quake TC Dawn of Darkness. It's freeware since 2006 I think, but can't find any legit download link on the phone now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The most obscure FPS game I've personally owned is probably The Precursors (if that could be considered a true "FPS"). Truth be told, it's something of an FPSRPG like STALKER. Semi-incoherent. Decidedly weird. Eastern European. You start off in not-Tatooine and proceed to fly a spaceship between a number of other planets wherein you shoot bizarre aliens with laser guns and then, some time later, shoot bizarre aliens with aliens. Even your knife is a living creature, possessing an eye that rolls around with a mind of its own as you hold it in your hand.

The whole game is hosed and nobody I know has ever heard of it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Looks like the Pie in the Sky Engine - man I remember looking at that as a kid and thinking how amazing it would be to be able to get and finally make my own FPS!!! :allears: I swear I remember it being rudiculously expensive though, which is a blessing in disguise because drat.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Doesn't really look like that - PitSE games have the horrible HUD that takes half of screen

laserghost fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 16, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I had a copy of PitSE at one point, because a book about game design came with a copy. In retrospect probably a good thing I never read too much of that book...

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The most obscure FPS game I've personally owned is probably The Precursors (if that could be considered a true "FPS"). Truth be told, it's something of an FPSRPG like STALKER. Semi-incoherent. Decidedly weird. Eastern European. You start off in not-Tatooine and proceed to fly a spaceship between a number of other planets wherein you shoot bizarre aliens with laser guns and then, some time later, shoot bizarre aliens with aliens. Even your knife is a living creature, possessing an eye that rolls around with a mind of its own as you hold it in your hand.

I finished that a few years ago and really enjoyed it despite it's terrible ending, if I remember right the game had a cool faction system that affected what missions you got later on. They used to sell it on Beamdog alongside an improvement patch that fixed some issues, but that seems to be gone now. The developers of of that game also made Boiling Point Road to Hell (probably their most well known game in English countries) and Xenus 2, both of which were very similar styled games except they took place in South America.

Deep Shadows is pretty much only making hidden object games now and don't seem to have much interest in their older stuff. I've noticed that a LOT with games published by Russobit-M, they don't seem to care at all about the longevity of their products.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 16, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Yeah, I recognized that AR straight away. I was a naughty boy who downloaded the Stalker alpha all those years ago and it was the first thing I was I reminded of.

Crap quality, it's hard to find actual decent screens of either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

laserghost posted:

Doesn't really look like that - PitSE games have the horrible HUD that takes half of screen

No, it absolutely is Pie In The Sky Engine, you can see it for yourself when you grab the game off archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20010202144800/http://www.hummersoftware.com/BATTLESH.EXE

And the HUD sizes changed with different versions of the engine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I never got far in that game, but I liked it a lot. It was weird as gently caress though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Precursors is a lot prettier than I was expecting. Hey, is this that Curtain hologram girl from the Holo games you guys were talking about???

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, it absolutely is Pie In The Sky Engine, you can see it for yourself when you grab the game off archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20010202144800/http://www.hummersoftware.com/BATTLESH.EXE

And the HUD sizes changed with different versions of the engine.

Huh, you're right. I thought the next version of the engine was the proper 3d Windows one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jblade posted:

Looks like the Pie in the Sky Engine - man I remember looking at that as a kid and thinking how amazing it would be to be able to get and finally make my own FPS!!! :allears: I swear I remember it being rudiculously expensive though, which is a blessing in disguise because drat.

Oh lol. I remember playing a demo game made from the Pie in the Sky Engine. I want to say it came on a PC Gamer demo disc. The character was really floaty and the enemies were total bullet sponges. They would also spin in place when you shot them. Maybe it was too high concept for me.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The most obscure FPS that I can't play anymore was Psychotoxic, a game where you are some weird angel goth girl with powers trying to stop the biggest Allister Crowley fan in the world, cows with an udder guns, warewolves, dream commandos, ghost zombies, an entire FBI department, hood thugs, nightmare construction workers and some random nightmare serial killer in a hotel. You also meet colourful characters like a guy in a purple bunny suit with a bong in a world resembling a children's TV show, a suicidal half-naked fat man and your mother. There was a whole lot more in this game to go through, but it was pretty much a whole of weird ideas smashed into one game.

It didn't have great gameplay, but it was like one of those goofy B-movie action-horror flicks.

edit: image

Definitely better than poo poo like Dreamkiller. Anyone remember that one?

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 16, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

The most obscure FPS that I can't play anymore was Psychotoxic, a game where you are some weird angel goth girl with powers trying to stop the biggest Allister Crowley fan in the world, a cow with an udder gun, dream commandos, ghost zombies, an entire building full of FBI agents (which you murder) and some random nightmare serial killer in a hotel. You also meet colourful characters like a guy in a purple bunny suit with a bong in a world resembling a children's TV show, a suicidal half-naked fat man and your mother. There was a whole lot more in this game to go through, but it was pretty much a whole of weird ideas smashed into one game.

It didn't have great gameplay, but it was like one of those goofy B-movie action-horror flicks.

Definitely better than poo poo like Dreamkiller. Anyone remember that one?

drat, I thought that you were describing Dreamkiller for a second. I like the concept of Dreamkiller but the execution was flawed to say the least.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Sure, it was better than most Painkiller expansions that later buried what good was left of the series, but it was also monotonous and just bad. At least Psychotoxic for me was fun, unlike Dreamkiller.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Dreamkiller was basically a Painkiller total conversion, which seems fitting as Overdose, studio's previous game, actually started as an ambitious mod. OD was actually competent, if stupidly difficult, but also hosted some really bizzare enemy designs.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
OD was alright, until you figured out the spawn gimmick of the game and the way enemies can just spawn on top of your head and the tiny rear end rooms you had to maneuver around while dodging this and that. A very common thing in the game was how it liked to spawn enemies behind you. Also ammo for decent guns was scarce and your main character was a wacky half demon dude voiced by the Serious Sam guy minus the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I've heard of Psychotoxic before. Back when Steam was really early, they were the same guys that made Codename: Gordon and I checked out their site. It was really weird though because I couldn't find a single demo or order page anywhere on their site. Just a bunch of cropped-out screenshots of cows with udder guns and some goth chick. At the time I didn't know what the hell to make of it, like it was some abandoned experiment. It was like if iD's page just showed off weird, cropped-out screenshots of Doom and Quake with no indication that it was an FPS or even a game. :psyduck:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This actually sounds cool as hell and I was excited to play it before I looked it up and found it to be some bizarre Halo ripoff. There needs to be more organic weapons in FPSes.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 16, 2015