Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I'm still waiting on my apology, Diqnol. You know what you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I don't require an apology Taste. Why the sudden apology movement?

I may be outspoken, gruff, and counter-consensus but I don't want to be confused for someone that doesn't care about yall and value you as pals. Even if I think sa mafia can be a little sensitive, it matters more to me that at the end of the day people know that I care about them and wouldn't want to make them feel bad.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

DuckHuntDog posted:

I'm still waiting on my apology, Diqnol. You know what you did.

I never apologize for anything nor did I do anything and furthermore,

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taste, I want an apology for making me lose as scum that one time

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rarity posted:

Taste, I want an apology for making me lose as scum that one time

I'm sorry :(

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

ljtrigirl posted:

You don't need to apologize. We're all terrible people?

lol I was going to post this

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Taste, http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Since we're apologizing sorry about that one time I ignored your pm Diq

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I like this article. How do you feel about it from an educational perspective?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The Atlantic posted:

The current movement is largely about emotional well-being. More than the last, it presumes an extraordinary fragility of the collegiate psyche, and therefore elevates the goal of protecting students from psychological harm. The ultimate aim, it seems, is to turn campuses into “safe spaces” where young adults are shielded from words and ideas that make some uncomfortable. And more than the last, this movement seeks to punish anyone who interferes with that aim, even accidentally. You might call this impulse vindictive protectiveness. It is creating a culture in which everyone must think twice before speaking up, lest they face charges of insensitivity, aggression, or worse.

This is a really good article.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Since we're apologizing sorry about that one time I ignored your pm Diq

lmao

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It is a well-thought-out and well-written article, but I worry that it's the sort of thing that will give ammunition to the sort of people who are already wont to complain in the style of "loving sjws won't let me call people faggots anymore loving political correctness" and already have too much of a voice outside of the relative shelter of college campuses.

Oh god, it's me, I'm the political derail.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

It is a well-thought-out and well-written article, but I worry that it's the sort of thing that will give ammunition to the sort of people who are already wont to complain in the style of "loving sjws won't let me call people faggots anymore loving political correctness" and already have too much of a voice outside of the relative shelter of college campuses.

Oh god, it's me, I'm the political derail.

There are always idiots, Allen Wren. But reasonable people normally win, or at least I hope they do.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

There are always idiots, Allen Wren. But reasonable people normally win, or at least I hope they do.

Donald Trump has a very real following and most of it is of the wealthier sort, I believe.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Donald Trump has a very real following and most of it is of the wealthier sort, I believe.

yes but donald trump is not a political reality, as much as everyone wants to be concerned that he is.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He's a manifestation of the same frustrations and he knows it

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

yes but donald trump is not a political reality, as much as everyone wants to be concerned that he is.

His political support is pretty significant and the fact that it exists at all speaks to how people really think and feel in large numbers in the US regardless of how much of a political reality he is. That says to me, at least, that there is a big number of lovely thinking individuals with a modicum of success. So while I don't really mean to rain on your parade, it's important to realize how many people get away with thought crimes.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

His political support is pretty significant and the fact that it exists at all speaks to how people really think and feel in large numbers in the US regardless of how much of a political reality he is. That says to me, at least, that there is a big number of lovely thinking individuals with a modicum of success. So while I don't really mean to rain on your parade, it's important to realize how many people get away with thought crimes.

Yeah the fact that trump is being taken seriously by a portion of our population as a candidate is very sad

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I apologize for nothing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

What

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sorry for being mildly facetious merk

(except I'm not AHAHAHAHAHA)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The rest of your post sounded fine, and then you tossed out a 1984 reference. What do I believe?!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Political correctness is a good thing, it's about treating people with respect and dignity. If you can't do that, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you're a bad person?

Trigger warnings are also important because the world is hosed up and it fucks up everyone within it, and sometimes you need a minute or two to get chill before you approach a topic that has hosed you up personally.

That's my two cents.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

Political correctness is a good thing, it's about treating people with respect and dignity. If you can't do that, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you're a bad person?

Trigger warnings are also important because the world is hosed up and it fucks up everyone within it, and sometimes you need a minute or two to get chill before you approach a topic that has hosed you up personally.

That's my two cents.

Fear is in the eye of the beholder.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I could go at length about a number of topics that have hosed me up personally at the drop of a hat. Everyone is different and a trigger warning simply covers your butt in case the person who reads your post is less equipped to talk about it than you are.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

Fear is in the eye of the beholder.

Fear is a very real and tangible and if people process their experiences with it in different ways, then that's okay. We're all sharing this space together and helping each other out is the right and proper thing to do. Putting forth kindness, compassion, and generosity brings forth good things into the world, and even if you don't receive any in return, you've helped to make the world a better place.

I could go at length about a number of topics that have hosed me up personally at the drop of a hat. Everyone is different and a trigger warning simply covers your butt in case the person who reads your post is less equipped to talk about it than you are.

Like I said, it's more about being an actual warning, a way of preparing people that what they're about to engage in will be covering certain areas. Not everyone is as able as you are to engage in such things, everyone deals with pain in their own way, and there's nothing wrong with that. Saying that this is "coddling" bugs me, because it implies that different processes of managing emotional pain are somehow lesser, thus implying that those individuals that do so are lesser in return, rather than acknowledging the breadth of the human experience and our shared humanity.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think trigger warnings are wildly impractical.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I don't think trigger warnings are bad but I do think discomfort is inevitable in education and protecting students from potentially uncomfortable topics infantilizes them.

But I don't want to conflate trigger warnings with the larger principles that that atlantic article is talking about. I just think they can both come from the same place which can be bad!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You are the one who is saying it's lesser and that it's "coddling", not I. I would say perhaps some ways of doing it are less effective but due to the huge variance in human experience there could be very good reasons a person is dealing with it less effectively etc etc so yeah, it's not that somebody who can't handle something like you can is worse or anything barbaric like that but it's not unfair to say that a trigger warning is for people who are comfortable talking about something to use when a topic may reach the eyes of someone less equipped for such a conversation. The effectiveness of a trigger warning is an entirely different bag, though. Hope that clears up what I said, cheers.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The correlation of respect with specific language is a personal, not universal, relationship.

For example, I respect someone more if they are honest and willing to be forthright, even if I find their opinions detestable.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey everybody I'm taking two players from SA for a cross community temple game I'm running.

It's just an exhibition match so you can't win merk's trophy though

Apply in thread with your buddy

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 27, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

my roommate is getting her PhD in social psychology from one of the finest institutions in America.

she says the Atlantic article is a bunch of hooey, that the people who wrote it are notorious for "wanting conservative voices heard on college campuses," that the plural of anecdote is not data, and that neither she personally nor anyone she's worked with has ever once had an issue with people complaining about course material due to their sensitivity.

Anecdote noted :grin:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

You are the one who is saying it's lesser and that it's "coddling", not I. I would say perhaps some ways of doing it are less effective but due to the huge variance in human experience there could be very good reasons a person is dealing with it less effectively etc etc so yeah, it's not that somebody who can't handle something like you can is worse or anything barbaric like that but it's not unfair to say that a trigger warning is for people who are comfortable talking about something to use when a topic may reach the eyes of someone less equipped for such a conversation. The effectiveness of a trigger warning is an entirely different bag, though. Hope that clears up what I said, cheers.

I think the article just angried up my blood. Alles klar

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

my roommate is getting her PhD in social psychology from one of the finest institutions in America.

she says the Atlantic article is a bunch of hooey, that the people who wrote it are notorious for "wanting conservative voices heard on college campuses," that the plural of anecdote is not data, and that neither she personally nor anyone she's worked with has ever once had an issue with people complaining about course material due to their sensitivity.

oh come on

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Millennial Identity politics doesn't really have much credit to begin with outside of millennials, it's a little hash tag Ben ghazi to look at it that way imo

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

the point that you and taste missed is that, without actual data behind your arguments, one person's anecdote is just as meaningful as another's. My roommate's and her colleague's experiences are just as valid as some anonymous midwestern professor.

It should cause us to take a step back and say, well, if there isn't any actual evidence that this is a systemic issue, then why is this article so popular? Why have so many people read it and responded to it? Are they that concerned with an anonymous midwest professor's well-being, or do they want the story to be reflective of broader trends for some other reason?

And the answer obviously, especially considering its authors, is "they want conservative voices and opinions to be heard on college campuses, and the best way to do that is by discrediting millennial identity politics."

Yeah, it's meaningful if your argument is 'this is literally happening at every college campus.' I don't even know what kind of data you'd want to look at for this. Survey data?

Like, anecdotes are valuable because they allow us to look at a situation and find what is good and bad from it. Something doesn't need to be an epidemic for us to condemn it. The Atlantic article does try to claim that this is happening more and more, but I don't think it's ridiculous to look at these examples and say "this is something that, on a larger scale, will get worse and worse."

And I agree, the other side (conservative voices, whatever those may be) may be worse, but I think it's fine to look at things you find alarming and say they are alarming.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

the point that you and taste missed is that, without actual data behind your arguments, one person's anecdote is just as meaningful as another's. My roommate's and her colleague's experiences are just as valid as some anonymous midwestern professor.

It should cause us to take a step back and say, well, if there isn't any actual evidence that this is a systemic issue, then why is this article so popular? Why have so many people read it and responded to it? Are they that concerned with an anonymous midwest professor's well-being, or do they want the story to be reflective of broader trends for some other reason?

And the answer obviously, especially considering its authors, is "they want conservative voices and opinions to be heard on college campuses, and the best way to do that is by discrediting millennial identity politics."

Yeah I think actually the "conservative voices" are those of people who are pushing the idea of putting content warnings on art to the point where it's borderline censorship. This has nothing to do with identity politics, trauma is not an identity, and trigger warnings lose all value when taken out of the context of designated safe spaces.

Can't help but notice your attempt to discredit the writers of the article as well, that really doesn't help your cause much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip