Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Injection is interesting issue 4 is starting to let you know what is going on. In the last few pages you know that whatever the group did they unleashed all these weird unholy things that are causing the weirdness and they have been stopping the problem before it gets to big based on guilt. It's like a guilt based Justice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Neurosis posted:

Über 27 is a great end to the first book and has me excited for the next.

Patton smoking a cigar while his halo effect appears in his eyes after blowing away the assassin was great.

I am most curious to see what Stephanie and co. are going to get up to. What is Alan so close to deciphering?

Yeah, that patton scene is cheesy and awesome. I had to reread the rest after the latest issue and I wish I had done so before reading it. Alan is working on the "alien" human-upgrade manual. He mentions that he's working on (and seemingly close to finding) something very different to the established ubermensch. It'll be interesting where he goes with that, the invasion, japan's bomb, battleship hideki and the rest

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Chairman Capone posted:

I just read Crossed 100 #7 and it was... a bit of a surprise. For some reason i thought it was going to be an 8 issue miniseries all done by Moore, but I guess it's an ongoing and he just did the first arc. In any case I'll stick with it, though hopefully Moore left an idea for where the overall plot would go. The writing was decent enough in this one but already there are a few things that might be signs it just won't be able to sustain itself. Plus I really don't like the new artist.

Providence also continues to be really enjoyable. Not sure where the plot is going but I'm really enjoying "Alan Moore reinterprets famous Lovecraft stories." A lot of the Deep One stuff made me laugh from the latest issue. Especially the graffiti of the two Deep Ones high-fiving each other with smiles while double-teaming a woman.

Yes, the images which implicated violent rape, necrophilia, and paedophilia were super amusing and chuckle-worthy. What jolly fun. It was also enjoyable to witness how the structure of the story associates Jewish victims of the holocaust with actual cannibalistic, rapist, murderous Cthulhu worshipping cultists. What a remarkable provocateur.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CountFosco posted:

Yes, the images which implicated violent rape, necrophilia, and paedophilia were super amusing and chuckle-worthy. What jolly fun. It was also enjoyable to witness how the structure of the story associates Jewish victims of the holocaust with actual cannibalistic, rapist, murderous Cthulhu worshipping cultists. What a remarkable provocateur.

Now tell us how you feel about the Nazi imagery in Spaceballs.

Also: there is no rape, necrophilia, or pedophilia in those pictures. There's nothing at all to associate the latter two, and from everything in both the issue and the actual Lovecraft story, there's nothing to indicate the Innsmouth people aren't willing participants. I think there's the one guy in the actual Lovecraft story who doesn't like what the town is doing and if I remember right explicitly states that he didn't take part. And the holocaust imagery is a reference to the fact that the story itself talks about the government putting the Innsmouth people into concentration camps, and the WWII connection has been made plenty of times before Moore did it here.

But man, that Alan Moore, what a loving hack, right?

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 15, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Three issues into Providence and I'm out. Quite simply, it's just not very good. Maybe if the artist wasn't complete dogshit I'd stick around but as it stands... Nah.

For Moore, it's really lazy work, much like Neonomicon was before it. Yes, I can see what he's doing. It's all very clever, merging Lovecraft's stories together and having a gay Jewish man as our POV character, but... It's just not remotely entertaining. There's practically no story there at all. What we have is "A man goes to places and talks to people in a very badly drawn way. Also, many-angled-non-Euclidean-chitinous-penises"

Alan must have another tax bill to pay

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chairman Capone posted:

Now tell us how you feel about the Nazi imagery in Spaceballs.

Spaceballs is awful. Pretty much the only reason why people think it's good is because it's Mel Brooks, but then you realize every other Mel Brooks film isn't awful.

edit: So I guess your analogy still works, but not for the point you meant.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 16, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mycot posted:

every other Mel Brooks film isn't awful.

Mel Brooks made Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

Mel Brooks made Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

I'll admit all I've seen of that one are the "good scenes" on youtube.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mycot posted:

Spaceballs is awful. Pretty much the only reason why people think it's good is because it's Mel Brooks, but then you realize every other Mel Brooks film isn't awful.

edit: So I guess your analogy still works, but not for the point you meant.

Sounds like you need to be a smarty and join the nazi party

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

bobkatt013 posted:

Sounds like you need to be a smarty and join the nazi party

That was from The Producers. :colbert:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also: there is no rape, necrophilia, or pedophilia in those pictures.

In the panel where Boggs leads Black through the tunnel we see various bits of graffiti. I believe that these are meant to be representations of the occult rites which the Oannes Society actually uses. The entire point of Providence, to paraphrase Moore, is to bring out the sexual element sublimated, latent in Lovecraft's work, out into the open. An unveiling. Lovecraft's stories are horror stories, and the sorts of sex in these stories are not loving, romantic, consensual acts but acts of sexual horror. There are three main "panels" in that panel, each seperated by the wooden pillars. In the bottom of the right hand pillar we see a male figure inserting himself into a still, passive figure which is laying down. The eyes are "x-ed" out, a visual clue that this is a depiction of an act of black sexual occultism with necrophilia. In the top left of that panel we have a standing figure, adult-sized, clearly naked and accompanied on each side by smaller figures - very likely children.

In the top of the left panel we see an enormous frog-sea beast taking a woman (note the long hair) from below, again the face is crossed out. The contrast between big and small figures in the sexual act is even more apparent in the dream, however because it is a dream I am less inclined to use that as hard evidence.

Chairman Capone posted:

There's nothing at all to associate the latter two, and from everything in both the issue and the actual Lovecraft story, there's nothing to indicate the Innsmouth people aren't willing participants. I think there's the one guy in the actual Lovecraft story who doesn't like what the town is doing and if I remember right explicitly states that he didn't take part. And the holocaust imagery is a reference to the fact that the story itself talks about the government putting the Innsmouth people into concentration camps, and the WWII connection has been made plenty of times before Moore did it here.

In the issue, we see the swastika chalked in front of the Oannes society. Given that the evil Boggs reacts negatively to it, we can interpret this as an act of resistance. The Oannes society has taken over in at least this part of Salem, and frankly if I were a native of Salem, I'd be resisting them as well. What we are dealing with here are not merely an oppressed minority. Rather, they are what was an oppressed minority (and justly so!) that has succeeded in basically taking over. Rape is explicitly referenced in the parish newsletter. "Like, you remember, Tobit, when that revenuer boy come up from Boston wanting to know all about what's done at the refinery? He was the one what kept up crying for his mother all the while I was doing it, and where I give you and Negathalia-Lou half of them black puddens what I made."

In this context, in the context of all of the sexual graffiti I believe that Moore intends us to suspect that "doing it" refers not just to murdering the revenuer (basically an unlucky civil servant just trying to do his job) but to raping the revenuer as well. Just after, he talks about what "good old times" that was. This is what the society of Oannes is: murderes, rapists, the very cream of evil, veiled in a frame of civic respectability and strong community. They are predators that see anything not-them as prey.

And this is the tragedy of the Black character. A gay man, he exists in a society driven underground, a society which uses secret signals to communicate with each other. A society that struggles. His curiosity is aroused when he begins to wonder if other such societies could exist. What he fails to understand is that while homosexual persecution is a genuine injustice, persecution of Cthulhu occultists is no injustice at all. A good illustration of this lack of understanding on his part is when Increase describes him as smelling like Salmagundi, a meat salad dish. He fails to realize that Increase genuinely wants to butcher and consume his flesh, and in a bit of dark humor confuses that attraction of appetite for a sexual attraction.

Chairman Capone posted:

But man, that Alan Moore, what a loving hack, right?

Uh, strawman argument much? You'll find fewer bigger Alan Moore fans on this board than myself. However, if blinding myself to his faults means that I am not the biggest, bestest Alan Moore fan, than I suppose I am guilty of not being that. I never argued that he was a hack. My initial post was not even arguing that Providence was bad! (I'm still trying to decide that, judgement ongoing) I was merely looking to point out that the work was extremely dark and grim and that I found little humor in it at all.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

trashbuilder posted:

Injection is interesting issue 4 is starting to let you know what is going on. In the last few pages you know that whatever the group did they unleashed all these weird unholy things that are causing the weirdness and they have been stopping the problem before it gets to big based on guilt. It's like a guilt based Justice League.

So it does pick up? Image was giving away a digital copy of issue #1 for free this past weekend and I got it. I had no idea what was going or the plot or anything. I can't even tell what the idea of the book is. Sounds like this might be perfect for a trade wait.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

CowboyAndy posted:

So it does pick up? Image was giving away a digital copy of issue #1 for free this past weekend and I got it. I had no idea what was going or the plot or anything. I can't even tell what the idea of the book is. Sounds like this might be perfect for a trade wait.

It does pick up - I'm thoroughly enjoying it by this point - but I can't say trade waiting would be a bad idea.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Iggles posted:

Yeah, that patton scene is cheesy and awesome. I had to reread the rest after the latest issue and I wish I had done so before reading it. Alan is working on the "alien" human-upgrade manual. He mentions that he's working on (and seemingly close to finding) something very different to the established ubermensch. It'll be interesting where he goes with that, the invasion, japan's bomb, battleship hideki and the rest

Thoughts on Alan's thing: maybe intellectual enhancement rather than something purely physical? Maybe something that doesn't relate to human enhancement (although as I recall the theme of everything on the artifact was human enhancement)?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Welcome Back #1 and Young Terrorists #1 were both incredible this week. Really looking forward to more of both.

Power Up continues to be super-cute and really endearing.

Wolf #2 was still pretty mediocre, but better than last month. Maybe I'll give it one more issue? I don't know.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Are people reading The Spire? People should be reading The Spire. Si Spurrier + Jeff Stokely + Andre May doing a murder mystery set in a cool ... I hesitate to say 'steampunk' but sort of science fiction-y fantasy-ish city on an otherwise desolate planet. I'm really liking the world building and characters so far, though it's only 2 issues in (out of 8 total).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The new volume of Empowered is pretty good! But I've also given up trying to sell Empowered to people because it's impossible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I keep looking for it once in awhile but it's not on comixology. Neither was Zim.

Wait that's weird. There it is. hmm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I keep looking for it once in awhile but it's not on comixology. Neither was Zim.

Wait that's weird. There it is. hmm.

What, Empowered? It's a Dark Horse book, it wouldn't have been there until DH made their deal with Comixology/Amazon a couple months ago.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Are people reading The Spire? People should be reading The Spire. Si Spurrier + Jeff Stokely + Andre May doing a murder mystery set in a cool ... I hesitate to say 'steampunk' but sort of science fiction-y fantasy-ish city on an otherwise desolate planet. I'm really liking the world building and characters so far, though it's only 2 issues in (out of 8 total).

Ayyuuup. I think calling it steampunk or sci-fi-y is doing the world building a disservice. It's just fantasy! But the rarest of all beasts, non-Tolkienesque fantasy. The Spire has been very good and very pretty so far.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

Ayyuuup. I think calling it steampunk or sci-fi-y is doing the world building a disservice. It's just fantasy! But the rarest of all beasts, non-Tolkienesque fantasy. The Spire has been very good and very pretty so far.

I was going to argue the 'fantasy' thing because of the spliced hybrids and the people roaming around outside with gas masks or whatever, and then I realized what it most reminds me of is China Mieville's stuff, which is definitely fantasy. So I'll cede the point there. It's really cool worldbuilding though. I just sometimes forget what it's like reading fantasy that isn't faux-medieval poo poo with wizards and elves. :shobon:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Welcome Back #1 and Young Terrorists #1 were both incredible this week. Really looking forward to more of both.

Chiming in to parrot this. Welcome Back is so much better than it has any right to be.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My buddy at work just lent me issue #9 of Escape from New York after talking it up, and now I'm wondering why I never bothered to pick the book up. It's a lot of fun.

I bring it up because it's by the same guy doing Welcome Back and Dead Letters: Christopher Sebela. I'm hugely impressed with his writing thus far and I think I'll be following his work around very closely.

And Spire talk: I'm loving it. I picked up Six Gun Gorilla as it was coming out (did a write-up of it earlier in the thread), and I hadn't realized the same team was doing The Spire until after I read the first issue. It has a very similar feel to Six Gun Gorilla, which is actually pretty welcome, but is different enough to feel completely fresh. It's one of the books I look forward to the most each month.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I must be kinda :downs: lately but the gears kept slowly turning in my head after Lumberjanes #17.

"Wait... what are they talking about?"

"Oh."

"Oh!" :toot:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
8House looks really good - is it?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

LordPants posted:

8House looks really good - is it?

Arclight is neat. 2 issues in and it is weird and fantasy-tastic, and very alien, but not a ton of plot yet.
What's up with the 8house brand? Is it a few books set in the same world? Anyone read the others?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kiem starts this week as 8house #3, so I guess it'll go back and forth on the stories whenever they're ready, cause Arclight didn't seem to finish at #2.

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/brandon-grahams-8house-a-series-of-science-fiction-miniseries
This old interview says it's 'a world.'

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 30, 2015

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

What's up with the 8house brand? Is it a few books set in the same world? Anyone read the others?

I think all the books should be set in the same world/universe, but each book will be mostly separate from the ones before it. I don't know how much shared backstory the stories will share. I think part of the vibe they are going for is the noble houses from Dune sort of thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We Stand On Guard is awakening an urge to destroy the Great Satan within me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So Plutonia was great for a first issue. Although there was something about The Superhero who had to work a double shift while her mother looks after her kid :negative:

I liked 8House, but I appreciate Graham's style. My understanding is that he's more like a supervising editor of the thing. The story was one of those style heavy substance thin things where they place you in this world and don't really explain everything. But I really like that style a lot, and Prophet was really good when it would tell these kinds of stories so I liked it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I finally got around to Wild Children, and it was pretty fun, though probably a tough read if one hasn't read up on their anarchist philosophy.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

LordPants posted:

So Plutonia was great for a first issue. Although there was something about The Superhero who had to work a double shift while her mother looks after her kid :negative:

The spoilered bit was super sad. I really enjoyed that first issue, though; we got a ton of personality from the kids and the art style's really nice and helps set the tone. I liked that they had Lemire on the backup story, that yet again set the tone but a kind of different one that helped the two stories stand apart even though they're both obviously part of the same thing. Man, I'm super lookin forward to more of this one.

Apparently Lemire's got a couple more self-drawn graphic novels coming out next year, which I can't wait for. :swoon: I know his art style ain't everyone's cuppa but I like how rough it is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Apparently Lemire's got a couple more self-drawn graphic novels coming out next year, which I can't wait for. :swoon: I know his art style ain't everyone's cuppa but I like how rough it is.

Its more raw then most and it gets a lot of emotion out of it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Holy poo poo, The Wicked + The Divine #14. This is next-level poo poo and they're just showing off.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ElNarez posted:

Holy poo poo, The Wicked + The Divine #14. This is next-level poo poo and they're just showing off.

i really liked the part where the dedication made sense

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Is nobody else reading Autumnlands?

I just got the first trade and it's loving gorgeous, and the story / setting is pretty neat too.

It's basically a world where people are all animals, and the high elite run on Magic and live in floating cities and dominate the tribes that live on the ground.

Like these Bison, lead by Seven Scars:

Except Magic is running out. One Wizard has a plan to bring back The Champion through time and space, because he will bring back the Magic. Not everyone agrees with this plan.

The spell, and perhaps the plan itself, go wrong, and their floating city crashes, and now a highly politicized and scheming society is simultaneously trying to survive when all they have known is decadence, and under threat not only from themselves, the environment, but also the tribes they have abused.

The whole thing is tied together nicely by this young (and newly orphaned) kid, who is old enough to be capable and aware but young enough to have not become one of the old politicians or scared people, and instead is excited by this adventure.

There's more to it but I think it's best to discover that on your own because it's way cooler without the briefing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Everyone should be reading Bitch Planet.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Who was the second person at the end of the latest wicked+divine?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annake what the gently caress are you playing at?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BigRed0427 posted:

Everyone should be reading Bitch Planet.

Five issues in, still going strong, including the bonus essays.