Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
MN9 is basically why you don't want to announce games in advance, because fans will build up expectations and then be mad the reality doesn't match their fantasy.

Actually you don't want to announce anything in advance, I've seen this for movies and TV too. Just never tell the internet about anything because the internet is incapable of enjoying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah, I figure this is some kind of language barrier situation. Sucks that you can't even tell what genre this will be. Some of the imagery is very interesting in and of itself, and he probably intentionally went yhe cryptic way, too, but it's too cryptic for people's bucks apparently.

It's an unauthorized Castlevania remake/sequel with them dancing around not having the rights in a nudge-nudge wink-wink way. Also scummy as hell.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, that's probably why Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: OS and Shovel Knight all tanked so hard, because The Internet Hates Everything

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RottenK posted:

is there a fancy german word for experiencing powerful secondhand embarassment on behalf of people who i don't know or care about

Fremdschämen iirc

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The White Dragon posted:

Fremdschämen iirc

thanks

red ash made me experience fremdschämen

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Studio 4 C are amazing and making some of the best contemporary animation out there, I really feel bad about them being associated with stuff like this. Masaaki Yuasa is a goddamned genius.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MarsDragon posted:

MN9 is basically why you don't want to announce games in advance, because fans will build up expectations and then be mad the reality doesn't match their fantasy.

Maybe that's a hazard when your entire marketing scheme consists of "building up expectations to gather money" and then you go on to defy expectations. I mean, it's not like somebody was twisting their arm to change up the design of the franchise they're aping. That's something they did on their own, after selling it as that product. I don't get blaming the customers in that situation.

That's not to say Inti Creates shouldn't try to innovate or experiment, but this was probably the wrong project to meddle with a successful formula.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

"Ask your mom"? :v:
I twatted that at Kamiya and he blocked me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, that's probably why Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: OS and Shovel Knight all tanked so hard, because The Internet Hates Everything

Well we are on Something Awful.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Great Joe posted:

I twatted that at Kamiya and he blocked me.

If you twatted something at me I'd block you too

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wendell posted:

Red Ash is a failed spinoff because there wasn't enough interest in it for a successful kickstarter.

Megaman Legends is a series with niche appeal but they wouldn't have had any trouble funding the game if their campaign wasn't run so poorly. You can't really narrow it down to people dogpiling on Inafune or the devs overestimating the demand for a new Legends game - the campaign was inexcusably awful and a complete embarrassment to all involved and at no point did seem like they knew what people expected from them or even what they were pitching.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
People don't want a game that plays like Megaman Legends, they want Megaman Legends 3 :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

People don't want a game that plays like Megaman Legends, they want Megaman Legends 3 :(

Mega Man Legends to me was this neat Miyazaki influenced 3D action Zelda game with a more interesting world and characters than any recent Zelda game. As much as I want to continue Volnutt's story MML has a very specific aesthetic and spin on the Zelda formula that no one has really copied.

If Armikrog of all things could get funding at the last second then there's no doubt in my mind that any property, no matter how old or obscure or niche, could get funding provided the pitch isn't straight garbage. And yeah, Red Ash was straight garbage.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I have zero investment in either MN9 or Megaman but watching the trainwreck development has been entertaining.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lord Lambeth posted:

I have zero investment in either MN9 or Megaman but watching the trainwreck development has been entertaining.

Take out the specific references and that's pretty much what I come to this thread for.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I still don't have any strong feelings about the gameplay in MN9 but yeah everything else about that kickstarter has made me regret spending my money on it.

Good thing I went for the smallest tier but still bad I supported these lovely people in any way. Never have I had a kickstarter where I see an update and think 'oh what now?'

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Remember when nearly everybody was riding the Comcept "gently caress you, dad!" wave where we were delighted to see them troll Capcom?

Those were good times.

Good times. :(

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I find Red Ash problematic just because Legends was never a great game to begin with. It had some interesting boss fights, but ultimately if you want to make a good game, it's going to have to be significantly different from Legends' clunky controls, boring levels, and pedestrian enemy design.
It's important to remember that Megaman Legends was a competent 3D adventure game with an aesthetic that actually worked well with the lovely hardware available, had almost full voice acting in an era where that was unheard of, and had working z-targeting a year before Ocarina of Time was released and put it in the public consciousness. It's imperfect and has a lot of rough edges but a lot of that was just due to nobody really understanding how to best do 3D adventure stuff yet, so it's not hard to see why it's still well-regarded by people who played it. Even if it is kind of like FF7 where it's held up poorly as the medium has advanced and the game design in it has evolved over the years though, yes.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Megaman Legends is a series with niche appeal but they wouldn't have had any trouble funding the game if their campaign wasn't run so poorly. You can't really narrow it down to people dogpiling on Inafune or the devs overestimating the demand for a new Legends game - the campaign was inexcusably awful and a complete embarrassment to all involved and at no point did seem like they knew what people expected from them or even what they were pitching.
Yeah, there was just little to nothing about it that was done well and if any of a dozen different things were done better it could have been a success (showing real gameplay, not splitting the interest by having an anime kickstarter simultaneously and putting the cart before the horse, admitting there was a publisher for it at the start, releasing it after MN9 so it didn't seem like a desperate cash grab for a floundering studio, having MN9 be actually good so their followup projects would carry some hype, etc.) and they... didn't. So it wasn't.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Remember when nearly everybody was riding the Comcept "gently caress you, dad!" wave where we were delighted to see them troll Capcom?

Those were good times.

Good times. :(

They can recover from this if they actually try to turn MN9 into a successful game, really work their asses off for Red Ash or build up other games before they try Kickstarter again, but goddamn have their ruined the wave of goodwill they had 2 years ago.

Toxxupation posted:

The big lesson I've learned from double fine, comcept, etc is that publishers are actually totally necessary and force developers to actually output a finished and complete product within a designated timeframe

Some people can work without the structure or need to get out of the grasp of morons like Konami in order to develop the games they can and want to do if there is a market from them. However, the system definitely has its uses and not every old developer or young gun is Koji Igarashi or Harebrained Schemes. Many still need a publisher to hound them into doing their goddamn job or someone who understands what a game needs to give them useful suggestions.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 16, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The big lesson I've learned from double fine, comcept, etc is that publishers are actually totally necessary and force developers to actually output a finished and complete product within a designated timeframe

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, yes and no. Good publishers serve that purpose well, but bad publishers can run a good dev into the ground. Likewise, a good independent studio can release a product just fine but bad studios are bad and will fail.

Obviously there's lots of in between too, but yeah.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asimo posted:

It's important to remember that Megaman Legends was a competent 3D adventure game with an aesthetic that actually worked well with the lovely hardware available, had almost full voice acting in an era where that was unheard of, and had working z-targeting a year before Ocarina of Time was released and put it in the public consciousness.

History has been kinder to it than its initial reception, which was pretty harsh at the time (subpar PC and N64 ports didn't help). It's gotten something of a cult following since then, but I think that's more for the memorable characters, bosses, and cutscenes (and boy, was it heavy on cutscenes) than the relatively dull gameplay. It's innovative in some respects, but it's hardly a standout game for 1998.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I backed quite a few kickstarters from developers who I thought were done a number by publishers but the unspoken understanding was that this was their one-time opportunity to prove they can make it outside the system. It's frustrating that many big name developers on Kickstarter don't seem to grasp that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Japanese devs in particular are pretty weird about kickstarter. Probably because the indie scene is pretty small.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

History has been kinder to it than its initial reception, which was pretty harsh at the time (subpar PC and N64 ports didn't help). It's gotten something of a cult following since then, but I think that's more for the memorable characters, bosses, and cutscenes (and boy, was it heavy on cutscenes) than the relatively dull gameplay. It's innovative in some respects, but it's hardly a standout game for 1998.
I always remember the PSX version being well received, just a really poor seller (probably due to the lovely, lovely US cover art). And yeah the lackluster ports to other consoles probably didn't help though no.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Japanese devs in particular are pretty weird about kickstarter. Probably because the indie scene is pretty small.
It's important to keep in mind that the PC gaming market in Japan is really, really small and mostly limited to the super hardcore types. It never really caught off there in the way it did in the west for various reasons and a lot of larger companies still don't really understand it. Ironically it's the indie ones who clued in relatively early on since even a modestly successful steam release day makes them more than they'd see in years of Japanese sales, it's part of why there's a big glut of japanese RPGs and visual novels and such now.

Granted the Japanese console gaming industry is slowly imploding as all the major publishers there continue their inexorable shift to mobile games, but that's another matter.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I backed quite a few kickstarters from developers who I thought were done a number by publishers but the unspoken understanding was that this was their one-time opportunity to prove they can make it outside the system. It's frustrating that many big name developers on Kickstarter don't seem to grasp that.
In fairness I'm sure they're acutely well aware it's a one-time chance. It's just their teams, for whatever reason (poor planning, poor management, etc) just aren't able to follow through.

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

You've learnt the wrong lesson then.

Banner Saga. Shovel Knight. FTL. Pillars of Eternity. Volgar the Viking. Shadowrun.

Those are just a few examples of games that would not exist without crowdfunding. Delays are the rule rather than the exception in all games development, whether there's a publisher involved or not. There's a greater deal of transparency involved in the development of most crowdfunded games, which makes delays/failures more public and that's what we're seeing right now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's important to remember that regular old publishers still put out a lot of underwhelming and / or crap games as they always have, and they tend to be a lot less high-profile and high-publicity than a Kickstarter crash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

I always remember the PSX version being well received, just a really poor seller (probably due to the lovely, lovely US cover art). And yeah the lackluster ports to other consoles probably didn't help though no.

MML was a bomb even in Japan. It just didn't sell well at all. I think it just wasn't the game the audience at the time was looking for. I mean I love the hell out of MML but it's real easy to see why it doesn't work for people.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

Well, yes and no. Good publishers serve that purpose well, but bad publishers can run a good dev into the ground. Likewise, a good independent studio can release a product just fine but bad studios are bad and will fail.

Obviously there's lots of in between too, but yeah.

Yeah it depends a lot on individual cases. I mean you look at Minecraft or Prison Architect who both did really well with the EA model yet there's also a ton of absolute trainwrecks using the exact same system. Different models work for different people and the failures are generally because of a mismatch between the developer culture and the funding model they've gone with.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

stoic665 posted:

Banner Saga.
Is poo poo.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Whoever thought that what Fire Emblem needed was to be more like Oregon Trail was a loving idiot.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Toxxupation posted:

As others said before, had DF announced an adventure game and released it conventionally 3 years later everyone would've universally been head over heels in love with Broken Age. Transparency comes with risks attached. Same for most Kickstarters that have had a troubled development but ultimately delivered a quality product. This isn't the early 90s where you would tweedle your thumbs in anticipation for the next game to drop and count the months, most people have unplayed, bought games queued up in their libraries. Kickstarter and crowdfunded games in general still rock and I believe they're here to stay...for a good reason.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Banner Saga is a good game but I don't like the combat system very much. The production values and the game structure are fine.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Yodzilla posted:

Banner Saga is a good game but I don't like the combat system very much. The production values and the game structure are fine.

That's basically the entirety of the game though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

banner saga owns

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Who wants a new Aquanox game?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So apparently Double Fine are launching their own crowdfunding site Fig specifically suited for game developer needs with Inxile's Brian Fargo and Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart being on the advisory board and Inxile and Obsidian planning to run their future projects on Fig.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

As far as I can tell, it's being run by the former COO of Double Fine, not by Double Fine itself. Although Schafer is a member of the advisory board.

I think this is a really good idea in theory. A crowdfunding site that's more hands-on, offering support and guidance to indie developers...that could end up with much better end results for the developer and increased confidence for consumers who are worried about fly-by-night developers promising the moon and then bailing halfway through. They really need to launch with something big and exciting, though, otherwise it'll be hard for them to compete with Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I do! Well, really Archimedean Dynasty but what ever close enough. It just that kickstarter really needs some better footage to show what the hell the game is actually going to be like.