Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wait, I know about the texts, but what does the diary say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VagueRant posted:

Wait, I know about the texts, but what does the diary say?

Go find out

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Checking those was fun, although the implications of annihilating a different Max by overwriting her when she caught up to the "present" are disturbing (well, they would be, but she sounds kinda worse so eh). Reminds me of the nonsensical ending to Hot Tub Time Machine where three of the four characters travel back to the future and the fourth stays like it's some kind of heroic sacrifice when it's not, except that of course means he spent decades with versions of his friends who evolved into different people and were then overwritten by their weird loser alt-selves.

But god damnit Max! That whole sequence with disabled Chloe was agony! Why did we sit through all of that instead of skipping straight to you trying to fix it with time travel, if that's what you were just going to do anyway?! Why did you not tell this Chloe about it and get her help in planning how to fix her life? And now you're using the photo to travel again yet I just know you're going back there to kill William so Chloe won't die and I hate you for doing the dumbest, most contrived thing. This is not a forced choice, you moron!

Edit - YOU BURNED THE PHOTO GODDAMNIT WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT IT DOESN'T EVEN HELP

I can't believe we just spent god knows how much time over the last two episodes just to do a "Whoops can't change the past I guess" copout without even a good reason as to why. At least they usually build in some kind of Grandfather paradox or unavoidable butterfly's wings bullshit!

Edit Edit AhhhHHHHHH TELL CHLOE DAMNIT WHAT'S THE POINT OF TIME TRAVEL IF YOU NEVER TELL ANYONE

Dolash fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 15, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

BobTheJanitor posted:

This has been one of the more amateurish game designy things that's kind of bugged me about LiS. Overall, it's been great, don't get me wrong, but I don't like how missable a lot of details are. And I know, a lot of this is on the player to catch these things, but there's a way of crafting the scenes that would encourage messing around with everything, and the game usually doesn't do that. In almost every scene where you're free to poke around, the game gives you something that feels time-sensitive that you should be doing instead. Someone is always waiting on you to do something (sometimes even sending you text messages about it), or someone is about to come in and catch you, and that encourages immediately going to do that main goal thing instead of stopping to smell the metaphorical roses, which is easily a good 50% of the game. If you always do the goal in each scene that the game is rushing you towards, you'll miss so much.

Every open world game is like this: there's always a damsel/town/world/galaxy that needs to be saved RIGHT NOW QUICKLY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE THERE'S NO TIME and you always end up spending dozens of hours loving around before getting to it. Or, in my case, spending dozens of hours loving around before getting bored and dropping the game, with barely any of the main plot done.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also I don't think it tutorializes the 'you've learned something so you can rewind and redo this conversation differently' mechanic well enough. I missed what the little "<< (speech bubble)" icon was trying to tell me the first time it popped up, and I probably played half the game through before figuring it out. Somehow I confused it with the similarly opaque 'flappy butterflies' icon and didn't recall what either of them were indicating. Not that I wasn't sometimes rewinding and redoing conversations anyway, but I just wasn't making the connection to why that icon kept showing up. They probably should have tossed up actual directions, like 'this icon means you can go back blah blah' in a few conversations until the player had done it a few times, just to make sure it's hammered in. Or just forego the cute icons and use the TTG method of just telling you in text every time. "Chloe will remember this (but not if you rewind)"

Not pictured: Max saying those lines out loud; the little jingle that always plays when the icons shows up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dolash posted:

Edit Edit AhhhHHHHHH TELL CHLOE DAMNIT WHAT'S THE POINT OF TIME TRAVEL IF YOU NEVER TELL ANYONE

There is really absolutely no way that telling Chloe would go well for anyone. "Hey, Chloe, I saved your beloved dad's life, but then I had to kill you! Whoops! So I killed your dad again. No hard feelings, right?" Poor girl doesn't need more mental trauma on her plate.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

dmboogie posted:

There is really absolutely no way that telling Chloe would go well for anyone. "Hey, Chloe, I saved your beloved dad's life, but then I had to kill you! Whoops! So I killed your dad again. No hard feelings, right?" Poor girl doesn't need more mental trauma on her plate.

I was thinking more introducing the fact that she can travel into photos and conspiring with Chloe on how to use that to get the outcomes they wanted. Instead she gave up at the first hurdle without even trying to jump over it. It's almost enough to say "why bother introducing all this if it goes nowhere?", I get that it has potential character development implications for Max to see the 'what if?' possibilities without the writers wanting to restructure the whole story around alternate timelines but it's such a clumsy, heavy-handed way to do it that leaves Max looking dumb. Jumping into photos is 10x as powerful as rewinding but let's drop it down the memory hole because it's harder to use.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Dolash posted:

I was thinking more introducing the fact that she can travel into photos and conspiring with Chloe on how to use that to get the outcomes they wanted. Instead she gave up at the first hurdle without even trying to jump over it. It's almost enough to say "why bother introducing all this if it goes nowhere?", I get that it has potential character development implications for Max to see the 'what if?' possibilities without the writers wanting to restructure the whole story around alternate timelines but it's such a clumsy, heavy-handed way to do it that leaves Max looking dumb. Jumping into photos is 10x as powerful as rewinding but let's drop it down the memory hole because it's harder to use.

Man, it really bugs you that Max doesn't approach situations the way you would, doesn't it?

And it's way premature to say that all of that amounts to nothing. You still have about 40% of the game left.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's pretty obvious that her photo power is going to be a major part of the last episode and its got way too much potential to gently caress things up for Max to just use it cavalierly so it makes sense why's she's gotten really reluctant to use it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dolash posted:

She saw first hand what loving with the timeline that much did and didn't want to risk making things even worse.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

seravid posted:

Not pictured: Max saying those lines out loud; the little jingle that always plays when the icons shows up.

Yes, they spell that out the first time but then don't do it any more. And I'm not really sure how the jingle that plays has anything to do with it? If you happen to miss what it means that first time, it stops telling you about it. Since going through it myself I've seen bits of random LPs where people make the exact same mistake. I'm just saying, they're already dealing with an unfamiliar mechanic compared to most adventure games. The indicator for it shouldn't be anything less than blatant.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The problem with mysterious time powers that come out of the blue is that you have no loving idea how they actually work or when they'll go away / stop working / do something unintended. I think the game is doing a decent job of getting that across and even Max is catching on (a little).
It's all fun and card-jumping time adventures until some day you find yourself stuck on the wrong side of a photo from your parents vacation album from the 70ies :colbert:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Doesn't she specifically say that she can go back and use that info the first few times?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Sakurazuka posted:

She saw first hand what loving with the timeline that much did and didn't want to risk making things even worse.

I'm glad it went this way instead of getting us into some crazy Butterfly Effect-style spiral of trying to fix everything.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Pimpmust posted:

The problem with mysterious time powers that come out of the blue is that you have no loving idea how they actually work or when they'll go away / stop working / do something unintended. I think the game is doing a decent job of getting that across and even Max is catching on (a little).
It's all fun and card-jumping time adventures until some day you find yourself stuck on the wrong side of a photo from your parents vacation album from the 70ies :colbert:

Card-jumping Max tries her powers on a photo taken exactly nine months before her birthday, and has to spend the next 600 rewinds as her mom's ovum trying to make sure the right sperm gets embedded so she doesn't end up an eighteen-year old dude named Marx.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Xanderkish posted:

Card-jumping Max tries her powers on a photo taken exactly nine months before her birthday, and has to spend the next 600 rewinds as her mom's ovum trying to make sure the right sperm gets embedded so she doesn't end up an eighteen-year old dude named Marx Holden.

fixed that for you

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sakurazuka posted:

Plom Bar posted:

Man, it really bugs you that Max doesn't approach situations the way you would, doesn't it?

And it's way premature to say that all of that amounts to nothing. You still have about 40% of the game left.

"Doesn't approach situations the way you would" is another matter entirely. Max's social situations, for example, are completely different and her approaches to them aren't mine, but the fun of roleplaying games is trying out different peoples' roles and how they'd do things. The time travel stuff goes beyond that, it's not just a different take to life or some such thing, this is cosmic power she's trying to apply to solve concrete problems, and her problem-solving skills are frustrating. She has exactly the means to do what she wants and there's no barrier except maybe her own creativity or willingness to try (something she can do consequence-free because she controls time). It's even more frustrating in an interactive medium, like the old adventure game pain of not being able to do the obvious solution until you guess the contrived one the developer had in mind.

You're not wrong that the photo stuff may matter again since it's established as a power she can use, so she might use it again, and there might be something she learned along the way there that'll come back and be relevant. Narratively, though, I thought the scenes were lessened because of how contrived the situation and Max's give-up reaction to it was, in a way that I didn't find Max's power blinking out while Kate had her incident was. It was also a lot of time and energy spent in the story along the end of one episode and the start of the other that feels very disconnected from the rest, it happens unexpectedly and once it's over Max decides not to speak of it, so it's not contributing much to the overall story. On the plus side it's easier to put out of my mind for the rest of the episode. I assume it was quite the cliffhanger when it happened. One of those archival vs. serial differences I hear talked about elsewhere, maybe.

I think I said something at first about not letting how the game was going to use time travel bug me, but this broke through.

Edit. Like come on, Chloe shoots Frank and she doesn't even mention "okay here's the code for the book, now rewind so I didn't kill him"? That doesn't at least get a little eye-roll or anything out of you? The emotion of the shooting rang completely hollow knowing A) you can undo it and B) they should know that too.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 16, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i find your criticisms tedious

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have to agree with all the criticisms, and I rolled my eyes many times, but I still have a lot of fun playing the game!

I've only played Walking Dead season 1 and a bit of 2. WD was okay. What other games should I play if I like this one? I'm downloading Tales from Borderlands right now. Or should I go to a different thread to ask?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Tales from the Borderlands is shaping up to be one of their best. The Wolf Among Us was very good as well.

If you like their more old school puzzle games, I got the Strongbad game for 2 bux and like it, and really like the Back to the Future one.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's been established that Max's power can fail and that using it too much has physical repercussions (rewind as far as you can, it definitely looks like she's in pain to me) so I don't really blame her for not wanting to suddenly start relying on it and trying to fix absolutely everything; it could be taken away just as quickly as she got it, and potentially at a terrible moment. She even goes to mention this several times when Chloe's all "YEAH SUPER MAX REWIND TIME"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I will second Tales from the Borderlands - I didn't even like Borderlands, and it completely won me over. The Game of Thrones one by Telltale is a bit of a letdown by comparison.

There's a lot of gems and oddities in the adventure game world, and they vary quite a bit. Mostly depends on what you're looking for, like puzzles, dialogue, choices etc.

Also I'm still definitely enjoying this game despite my criticisms.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

epitasis posted:

i find your criticisms tedious

I agree.

All the criticisms are from treating it like a video game where you already know the rules and that it's a work of fiction, rather than immersing yourself in the game and seeing it from Max's POV. She repeatedly says she doesn't want to rely on her powers because she doesn't know if they'll go away, and it taxes her, and it can cause even worse things to happen. Also, the fact that she's a teenage girl and is dealing with some heavy poo poo; it's not going to give her the time to think straight or rationalize after going through so many traumatic experiences.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I agree.

All the criticisms are from treating it like a video game where you already know the rules and that it's a work of fiction, rather than immersing yourself in the game and seeing it from Max's POV. She repeatedly says she doesn't want to rely on her powers because she doesn't know if they'll go away, and it taxes her, and it can cause even worse things to happen. Also, the fact that she's a teenage girl and is dealing with some heavy poo poo; it's not going to give her the time to think straight or rationalize after going through so many traumatic experiences.

That I get. My complaints are about the writing (I'm a writer) and then just how dumb the two main characters were in the final episode, chasing after Nathan when they had everything they needed to sink him. Call the drat FBI. But it's a game so I just rolled with it.

I was really peeved that the writers were so lazy they just had Nathan text "HEY IM DESTROYING EVIDENCE COME GET ME," but that turned out to be a trap so it wasn't as bad as I initially thought.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The Wolf Among us is the only Telltale Game thus far where I've replayed it three or four times over (lost count) just to see all the different actions and dialogue I could take and how they panned out. I recommend it.

The Sam and Max games are wonderful, and I really miss not having new episodes. I've replayed the games several times over, and I'm doing another replay right now. Those I also recommend.

Also Game of Thrones is awkward and disappointing, but it's got some interesting stuff. Just be prepared for a lot of lackluster stuff in between.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Their Monkey Island game starts out a bit slow, but it gets really good if you get into the second half.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

blue squares posted:

That I get. My complaints are about the writing (I'm a writer) and then just how dumb the two main characters were in the final episode, chasing after Nathan when they had everything they needed to sink him. Call the drat FBI. But it's a game so I just rolled with it.

I was really peeved that the writers were so lazy they just had Nathan text "HEY IM DESTROYING EVIDENCE COME GET ME," but that turned out to be a trap so it wasn't as bad as I initially thought.

The episode 4 stuff was a bit of a stretch, but I have to give them some leniency since they're trying to tell a story here, and finding a way to rule out 'let's just call the authorities' is inevitable in almost any story where the antagonist is doing something illegal. It gets a little stale always having the cops be incompetent, or corrupt and in the pocket of the bad guy, or whatever. But the alternative is the story being over in 5 minutes, so....

At least they went with the corrupt cops cliche instead of the teeth-gratingly stupid trope where the protagonist calls law enforcement and gets some version of 'What? I don't believe you, kid! Don't waste my time, this number is for real emergencies! *click*' Compared to that, not slowing down to go to the cops because you're busy keeping up with Chloe and her murderous rage is at least vaguely within the realm of possibility, even if it doesn't really make sense considered from a more calm perspective.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Codependent Poster posted:

I agree.

For what it's worth, it is a video game, and you often are encouraged to think creatively about using your powers to solve problems - for a basic example, when you break into Nathan's room with the fire extinguisher, you can be thoughtful and use time travel to undo the damage to the handle so you don't leave any evidence. Like I said, getting into character and seeing how they approach problems is great, but sometimes plot mechanics will affect immersion. The false choice between the two timelines feels contrived, not by the limitations of Max's perspective and character but just by the writing. She does mention not relying too heavily on her powers from time to time and she certainly doesn't understand them well enough that worrying about them failing on her is a valid concern, but she seems to treat the problem like she can't fix it rather than she won't or is scared to try.

And a number of my criticisms were grounded on how that scene worked narratively, not mechanically. Max's alt-timeline diversion is interesting, maybe, but it's very disconnected the rest of the story. It involves a heretofore unseen power (which she hasn't used again since) to do something unexpected with no impact on the rest of the timeline that she buries as soon as it's over. It's basically a sort of dream sequence, you can feel it's going to be reverted and your options for interaction are pretty limited (can't even bring photos), so for a while you're just along for the ride. I think it would've been interesting to talk time travel with alt-Chloe and confront the decision about William together, it might've felt more impactful than deciding whether or not to overdose her before undoing it all anyway. I felt like it disrupted the pace of the game and its story while it was picking up steam, even aside from the time travel issues.

But ha ha let's forget all that time travel mechanics nit-pickery because ah holy poo poo near the end of episode 4. They didn't rely on time travel for the kicker this time, it's just straight up psycho family abuse-fetish-murderers. I didn't expect things to turn so sharply in this direction.

Edit - I should say I was a little harsh to say Max was a moron for not doing the smart thing with her time travel powers. Gut reaction and somewhat frustrating, predictable plotting (does every time travel story have to have the "can't change the past, surprise!" bit?). Besides, there's new things to have gut reactions to, like finding Rachel's body and not immediately reporting it to the police holy crap!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 16, 2015

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
A reminder, the episode's already been out a while, so we don't need to put spoiler text over everything. Let 'em hang loose, fellas.

I do agree about the alternative universe bit. It is pretty disconnected and I wish there was a way to integrate it more into the plot, though I can't imagine how to do that. Still, I enjoyed it and was invested in it, even if I knew it was a little awkward. I think time travel stuff is pretty frequently hard to handle, because there's always the question of "Why not use time travel to solve everything?" It's why people wonder why Hermione Granger's Time Turner is never seen after Prisoner of Azkaban. Time travel is just iffy stuff, storytelling wise.

Dolash posted:

But ha ha let's forget all that time travel mechanics nit-pickery because ah holy poo poo near the end of episode 4. They didn't rely on time travel for the kicker this time, it's just straight up psycho family abuse-fetish-murderers. I didn't expect things to turn so sharply in this direction.

Psycho family abuse-fetish-murderers? Don't you mean dumb indie twee bullshit? :smuggo:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

The false choice between the two timelines feels contrived, not by the limitations of Max's perspective and character but just by the writing. She does mention not relying too heavily on her powers from time to time and she certainly doesn't understand them well enough that worrying about them failing on her is a valid concern, but she seems to treat the problem like she can't fix it rather than she won't or is scared to try.

Did you by chance miss the sequence in episode 2 when you lose your powers and are unable to manipulate the conversation with Kate? You know, where it's shown that Max's ability is not 100% reliable, thus completely validating her concerns?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Plom Bar posted:

Did you by chance miss the sequence in episode 2 when you lose your powers and are unable to manipulate the conversation with Kate? You know, where it's shown that Max's ability is not 100% reliable, thus completely validating her concerns?

Yet it didn't stop her from trying to save William in the first place, or letting him die again (which was really choosing to meddle a second time, it's not an undo button). The thing that discouraged her was seeing that saving William had an unexpected knock-on consequence of killing Chloe, but we weren't given some kind of The Time Machine idea that time required one of them to die, it was just a freak happenstance. Rather than try to fix that too, though, it makes Max turn back (which means using her powers again anyway), which is frustrating because she was willing to try so much and there are viable solutions in reach but why she won't keep trying is sort of intangible. Do other solutions just not occur to her, this time? Is she misunderstanding the situation and how her powers work? Is she more scared of her power failing the third time than the previous two? It's frustrating.

One of the weird upsides of the sequence being so isolated from the rest of the story is that it's possible to just sort of ignore it as some big, weird dream Max had.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

Yet it didn't stop her from trying to save William in the first place, or letting him die again (which was really choosing to meddle a second time, it's not an undo button). The thing that discouraged her was seeing that saving William had an unexpected knock-on consequence of killing Chloe, but we weren't given some kind of The Time Machine idea that time required one of them to die, it was just a freak happenstance. Rather than try to fix that too, though, it makes Max turn back (which means using her powers again anyway), which is frustrating because she was willing to try so much and there are viable solutions in reach but why she won't keep trying is sort of intangible. Do other solutions just not occur to her, this time? Is she misunderstanding the situation and how her powers work? Is she more scared of her power failing the third time than the previous two? It's frustrating.

One of the weird upsides of the sequence being so isolated from the rest of the story is that it's possible to just sort of ignore it as some big, weird dream Max had.

Setting aside for now that we're dealing with an incomplete story so neither of us can say definitively what Max will or won't try, this still boils down to Max approaching situations differently from how you would. Yes, I get it, if you suddenly discovered you could jump through time by looking at photos of yourself, you'd Ashton Kutcher it over and over again until everything was just right. Max isn't you. She's much more cautious. She discovered the ability by accident, tried to make the best of it, and realized she screwed up. But because she's way more cautious than you, her first instinct wasn't to immediately try to set everything back the way it was, because she didn't know if she could or if it wouldn't have some other averse effect. Only after losing Chloe forever did she finally decide that it was worth going back to set things right.

Plus, what kind of message would it send if the writers told us, flat out, that killing William is preferable to paralyzing Chloe? They had to show that the alternate reality was Worse by having it end not just in Chloe's death, but in the Price family's thorough ruination.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

Their Monkey Island game starts out a bit slow, but it gets really good if you get into the second half.

Too bad they never made a follow up. The season ended in a pretty interesting place teasing a Voodoo Lady heel turn.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Plom Bar posted:

Setting aside for now that we're dealing with an incomplete story so neither of us can say definitively what Max will or won't try, this still boils down to Max approaching situations differently from how you would. Yes, I get it, if you suddenly discovered you could jump through time by looking at photos of yourself, you'd Ashton Kutcher it over and over again until everything was just right. Max isn't you. She's much more cautious. She discovered the ability by accident, tried to make the best of it, and realized she screwed up. But because she's way more cautious than you, her first instinct wasn't to immediately try to set everything back the way it was, because she didn't know if she could or if it wouldn't have some other averse effect. Only after losing Chloe forever did she finally decide that it was worth going back to set things right.

Plus, what kind of message would it send if the writers told us, flat out, that killing William is preferable to paralyzing Chloe? They had to show that the alternate reality was Worse by having it end not just in Chloe's death, but in the Price family's thorough ruination.

They locked themselves in to having to show that, because once they opened up the possibility that Max could travel back that far instead of a few minutes at a time then they need to explain why she wouldn't use that power to fix root issues. It also locks out talking about it with Chloe (at least so far) since she would be in favor of gambling it all to save people she cares about, meaning the power has to be quietly forgotten about because it's just too much for the story to handle.

Also I'm not overly fond of simplifying this down to "this is just how you would do it" - using time travel to fix Chloe's situation is the obvious possibility any character in that position would have to confront, the question is why Max wouldn't do it and the answer has to be well presented by the writing and supported both by plot mechanics and characterization.

Almost every time travel story deals with the "you can change the past, why can't you change The One Thing you want to change?" problem. Sometimes it's because all time travel is predestined stable loops, sometimes it's because of a Grandfather Paradox where solving the thing would eliminate the time traveler or their power. You mentioned Ashton Kutcher, the Butterfly Effect's time travel mechanics were pretty frustrating because the only guiding principle seemed to be "things have to keep getting worse each time just because." It can be a tricky problem for a writer, and I don't think it was presented well here - with even a few tweaks they could've made the dilemma more binding, even a Kate-style "powers start to fail" narrative convenience would've helped.

I don't follow the bit you said about the message though. Maybe a conversation between Max and William where Max reveals her power and William asks her to change the timeline so he dies but Chloe lives might've worked. I think that might've committed harder to the idea they were going for, or let us explore Max's fears about making things worse, your replies have plenty of reasonable points but they feel very speculative since the game didn't give us much of a chance to talk it out or define how Max feels about the incident.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Frankly the alternate timeline felt to me like one of those great ideas that the creative team had, but when they couldn't find a way to integrate it better, they didn't make the hard choice that all artists have to make: to know when to cut the material you love. Sometimes the best thing for the story is to cut your favorite parts. As (I believe) Stephen King calls it, "Kill your darlings."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dolash posted:

I don't follow the bit you said about the message though. Maybe a conversation between Max and William where Max reveals her power and William asks her to change the timeline so he dies but Chloe lives might've worked. I think that might've committed harder to the idea they were going for, or let us explore Max's fears about making things worse, your replies have plenty of reasonable points but they feel very speculative since the game didn't give us much of a chance to talk it out or define how Max feels about the incident.
That, or the above-mentioned idea about having that same conversation with Chloe would have been better. I would pick Chloe, because William's would have been no dilemma at all. Every father would instantly say yes to sacrificing himself for his daughter (or at least every father in media).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, to be fair, the dilemma would always have to resolve with Max going back to the original timeline, since the game needs to keep to one core plotline. It's just a way to explore why, and engage some more characters' perspectives with the dilemma rather than keeping it all internal to Max where we can't get at it. If Max could've brought some insight or a message back with her from the other timeline for Chloe from other-Chloe or even her dad I think that might've been cool too.

Definitely getting a kill-your-darlings vibe from it, I wouldn't be surprised if an earlier concepting session for the game had discussed using the photographs as Max's primary means of time travel, maybe she finds a special camera or some such thing. Might've made for some kind of neat Portal-esque game mechanics if you took selfies of yourself at different times and places that you could then return to.

This is all feeling like small potatoes now that I'm wrapping up episode 4 (I keep tabbing away for some reason!). Everything to do with the Prescotts is such a bigger fish in need of frying. There were at least fourteen more red binders in that locker.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Max's ability to travel through photographs requires a landing spot (she has to be in the photo) and limits her actions to the picture's immediate surroundings only. Given these constraints, what "root issues" could she possibly fix?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This guy writes way too many words to say nothing in particular

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

seravid posted:

Max's ability to travel through photographs requires a landing spot (she has to be in the photo) and limits her actions to the picture's immediate surroundings only. Given these constraints, what "root issues" could she possibly fix?

The root issue for most of Chloe's problems seemed to be her dad dying, and Max was able to fix that, but then the car accident became the issue of the new timeline. We don't know what photos are necessarily available from around the same time (it's unclear if New Timeline Max didn't visit Chloe after she moved either, or if she just stopped visiting after the accident) but if she can find any one of herself from around the right time she might be able to affect the outcome indirectly like calling Chloe on the same day and making some kind of plan that changes her schedule.

Backup plan, she's proven that she can prove to others that she's a time traveler, do that with the Price family in the photo before William's death and relay messages from the future about things that will happen to them. The sticking point isn't that it'd be impossible to come up with a solution with the photo-jumping power, at the very least it'd take some experimentation to find out and see what she had to work with before ruling it out.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dolash posted:

The root issue for most of Chloe's problems seemed to be her dad dying, and she was able to fix that, but then the car accident became the issue of the new timeline. We don't know what photos are necessarily available from around the same time (it's unclear if New Timeline Max didn't visit Chloe after she moved either, or if she just stopped visiting after the accident)

I thought she said they kept in contact, but never actually met up. That's why she was so excited to meet Max again, all her old friends have basically abandoned her but unlike the main timeline she wasn't angry about Max not seeing her.

• Locked thread