Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

well after spending about 2 hours, 10 flint picks and 2 copper picks I still haven't found any gold so it's back to AS for me....

You were making new picks out of flint instead of just repairing the one you had with 1 flint and the broken item in a crafting table? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, the Botania stuff really feels gated way too hard. I've managed to toss him a trunk, but I need to complete three quests and each of them have something that's beyond me. Especially the ones that require botania stuff in return.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Can the pickaxe of the core find platinum? I noticed it can't find the metallurgy ores.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Can the pickaxe of the core find platinum? I noticed it can't find the metallurgy ores.

From my experience it can find copper, silver, lead and that's it. It doesn't register on iron or gold.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

From my experience it can find copper, silver, lead and that's it. It doesn't register on iron or gold.

welp, lame. platinum is all I need to open up the ore caches :saddowns:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That must be something configurable, it's able to find everything especially vanilla ores like gold in modpacks I've used.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Metallurgy is a really poo poo mod and I'm constantly reminded of that when it's in a pack. Oooo look 50 poo poo redundant ores and even more poo poo alloys whose only use is bad tools! Waow.

Blightfall is a really fantastic pack but it could benefit a lot from not having Metallurgy. Also replacing better storage with iron chests. Better storage is also really terrible at what it's supposed to do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can you get greatwood from sapling requests or am I gonna have to (gasp, sigh) go exploring?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Dude, there's a lot of reward in exploring. Don't sweat the blight sickness, keep distance with tainticles and walk away from all the rest.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

You were making new picks out of flint instead of just repairing the one you had with 1 flint and the broken item in a crafting table? :gonk:

I'm not running back to the surface to repair every 72 blocks mined

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

carry the flint with you

craft it with your damaged pickaxe

you don't need a table

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

man whoever said get boots of the traveler asap was right as hell

not only do you get around quicker but the step assist means you basically never have to jump ever which stretches your hunger even farther

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Alkydere posted:

Man, the Botania stuff really feels gated way too hard. I've managed to toss him a trunk, but I need to complete three quests and each of them have something that's beyond me. Especially the ones that require botania stuff in return.

yeah, that's the impression i got as well. with thaumcraft it's just a matter of getting a hold of iron and then from there all you have to do is make a couple duplicates of some basic things for the quests to get you started, but botania gets the joy of being heavily gated and also having very few resources around the map to the point where if you want to even get a hint as to where the flowers are you have to get past the gating.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, that's the impression i got as well. with thaumcraft it's just a matter of getting a hold of iron and then from there all you have to do is make a couple duplicates of some basic things for the quests to get you started, but botania gets the joy of being heavily gated and also having very few resources around the map to the point where if you want to even get a hint as to where the flowers are you have to get past the gating.

It doesn't help that when I saw Blightfall 2 had Botania I was looking forward for a chance to learn more about the mod. Nope, gotta bash your head in against a wall as the Paranormalist tries three more or less mutually exclusive different attempts at once. Drugging his co-worker while hacking the mainframe from inside a traveling trunk or having a straw golem play a french horn while he simultaneously breaks the door open with a crowbar despite having a portable hole focus in his pocket.

I'll probably just run around and continue to just use the pure daisies I find as spot cleaners whenever some dumb tainted sheep vomits all over my cleared areas.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's unfortunate, because botania legit has the least pain in the rear end ways to go about progressing in it and is pretty fun all around. i don't know how exactly it's tied into blightfall, but i feel like i won't be finding out for a while.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
OK , I found gold under alpha dome in the caves, I went down to the glass turned right took the coal and then went back to the center 2 blocks then right 2 blocks then right 2 blocks going down all the time and you hit caves with gold in it.

the ethereal blooms at the marble temple are good,

You can take down the leaves and the outlying logs as the node is in the main trunk and will remain as long as you don't break that one (i got 4 saplings from mine) - you can see how the block holding the node has strange burn mark on the side

also just to the north/north west is a pure daisy from botania and it also keeps the taint back so that may be a better localised protection of taint.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 15, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For the botania quests, I found the potions quest (one of the secrets has a brewing stand in it), the slime in a bucket quest (you just need like 6 buckets and Iron is plentiful in Blightfall) and the saw+crowbar+powerdrill quest to be the easiest. From there it's a ton of exploration because the flowers are scattered to the four corners of the earth and making them yourself is a huge bitch

Also the Corepick should be able to find all the vanilla ores and all the thaum shards. I don't think it finds anything else though, so you might be sol for the tech metals.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
When clearing taint, does it help to manually destroy fibrous taint, crusted taint, or anything else? Or should I just plop down my stash of ethereal blooms, and wait for the magic to happen?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just drop blooms and move on, but be careful of crusted taint because it dissolves into liquid flux and liquids can uproot blooms. Once a column of the world has been cleaned, all the blighted poo poo there will start dying and it'll clean itself up

E: Slick, there's an inactive division sigil up at 1657, 378, 68 X/Y/Z near the iceberg

I found it because I heard random explosions and ran to check it out :v:

The place is also a treasure trove of language samples, I just got 4 translation devices from it alone

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 15, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm very fond of Hardcore Darkness (not so much its name, kinda misleading!), and I put it into Blightfall.

Kinda crappy gif

New Moons are very dark, but it adds an ambience that I adore, and its so goddamned creepy in Blightfall.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i have yet to find any loving carrots and it's pissing me off

also making the lightning wand focus just improved my life by a factor of approximately infinity

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't find a loving greatwood, and it's only belatedly occurred to me that asking for saplings is never gonna give me one :(

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
There's one on the southern coast, way the gently caress down from Alpha Dome.

Good luck!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

I can't find a loving greatwood, and it's only belatedly occurred to me that asking for saplings is never gonna give me one :(

there are some in the silverwood forest east of beta dome (past the villages). However they will be being consumed by taint so axe and dash.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RickVoid posted:

There's one on the southern coast, way the gently caress down from Alpha Dome.

Good luck!

Went for that one from the silverwood forest and got my poo poo completely owned by a tainted botanist, what the gently caress :stonk:

(edit) Found one in the forst though, near a bloom so it's not tainted :woop:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to lose my mind looking for aluminum. I've found one so far.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where can I find a potato? I need it for my lightning wand so I can start murdering dudes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Where can I find a potato? I need it for my lightning wand so I can start murdering dudes.

The village south of the savannah scout location (called Redwood City on your transporter) has farms up on the hill that have potatoes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
There's greatwoods all over and there's a couple near all the starting domes (except the ones in the desert); the problem is that if you've been hanging out in them for a while the taint will have eaten them. There's one that's basically guaranteed east of omega dome though and it also has some... OTHER stuff in it! :unsmigghh:

Also: As someone more tolerant than most on here of annoying nonsense in mods, the food delay thing (before you can eat the same food again no penalty) is way too high. I ate a bunch of apples when I was starting out and now, nearing the end of the metal progression, every PoI explored, about half-to-three quarters done on most of the "main story" quest (exempting things like the colonist purification quests), I am only now starting to lose the penalty on apples.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah, I think whoever tested the 250 hunger thing was maybe a little too obsessed with eating all the various meal types. You *can* get through it without a huge amount of trouble actually, considering how many goddamn dairy products there are and how many meals use dairy products, but dairy products are also really annoying to make since you can't make them in batches without automated crafting. Tomatoes also unlock a bunch of different things to eat... then there's fishing and meat-based foods. HOWEVER, once you actually get past the 250 hunger you suddenly have to start referring to NEI to see which foods are good to eat again. Or keep all the best foods you eat in a chest so you can refer back to them easily. It's annoying and it should really be like 100 hunger. That's long enough to make it important to get new sources of food at the start where it counts, and short enough so you don't have to keep like 50 types of meals available. That said, I am actually going to see if I can get enough big meals to cover the 250 without it being annoying in the endgame.

I imagine Epic Bacon is going to be important to get since it covers like 50 hunger points all by itself. Big meals are really important. Unfortunately because of the pre-existing hunger history you can't eat epic bacon until you clear it all out.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Yeah, I think whoever tested the 250 hunger thing was maybe a little too obsessed with eating all the various meal types. You *can* get through it without a huge amount of trouble actually, considering how many goddamn dairy products there are and how many meals use dairy products, but dairy products are also really annoying to make since you can't make them in batches without automated crafting. Tomatoes also unlock a bunch of different things to eat... then there's fishing and meat-based foods. HOWEVER, once you actually get past the 250 hunger you suddenly have to start referring to NEI to see which foods are good to eat again. Or keep all the best foods you eat in a chest so you can refer back to them easily. It's annoying and it should really be like 100 hunger. That's long enough to make it important to get new sources of food at the start where it counts, and short enough so you don't have to keep like 50 types of meals available. That said, I am actually going to see if I can get enough big meals to cover the 250 without it being annoying in the endgame.

I imagine Epic Bacon is going to be important to get since it covers like 50 hunger points all by itself. Big meals are really important. Unfortunately because of the pre-existing hunger history you can't eat epic bacon until you clear it all out.

You can craft a bucket of milk into three "fresh milk" which are stackable and can be used in place of a bucket of milk for almost everything that requires a bucket of milk.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

craft wheat with a piece of paper for a food journal that shows you everything you've eaten

you can also make a lunch bag and lunch box that will autograb the best possible food from a chest while respecting your food history

type "spice of life" into nei

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Reason posted:

I'm going to lose my mind looking for aluminum. I've found one so far.

there're like three or four within a seven-block radius of the center of Alphadome, i'm on mobile so I can't remember exactly what y-level.

they're right along either the x or z axis which annoyed me because I haven't teched up enough to mine it and it's in the way of my stripmine walkway.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

My guess was something along the lines of a player head on an anvil changed to Shiitake's Head in name, no idea past that.

Has anyone found the Light Gray Flowers? They're "underground underneath the oceans, but above sea-level. I think they're, like, in a cave. They're closer to the western side of the mountains than the eastern side, so it's probably a cave you can get into from the west side."

I've combed the drat mountain ridge from north to south without finding such a cave :(

I'm stuck on this too. I've flown up and down the western side with an airship and still can't find it. Just a bunch of boring normal caves.

E: of course I find it right when I post this. Cave entrance is at 912x600

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 15, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

craft wheat with a piece of paper for a food journal that shows you everything you've eaten

you can also make a lunch bag and lunch box that will autograb the best possible food from a chest while respecting your food history

type "spice of life" into nei

That only tracks things you've eaten within the 250 hunger history. Since you want to eat things NOT in your history, it's not useful for this purpose.

SugarAddict posted:

You can craft a bucket of milk into three "fresh milk" which are stackable and can be used in place of a bucket of milk for almost everything that requires a bucket of milk.

No you can't. Fresh milk isn't even in NEI. The only way to stack milk is to put it into glass bottles. Eventually I plan on having a rancher supply milk to fluicrafters or whatever.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 16, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

That only tracks things you've eaten within the 250 hunger history. Since you want to eat things NOT in your history, it's not useful for this purpose.

No you can't. Fresh milk isn't even in NEI. The only way to stack milk is to put it into glass bottles. Eventually I plan on having a rancher supply milk to fluicrafters or whatever.

I guess they removed that part of that mod.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone know what research silverwood wands is gated behind? I'm trying to beeline it as hard as I can because wandering the world to recharge wands is lame as hell, and I need to get to silverwood wand tech so I can make a sceptre so I can node-in-a-jar without infusion.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Infusion, ironically. =p

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone know what research silverwood wands is gated behind? I'm trying to beeline it as hard as I can because wandering the world to recharge wands is lame as hell, and I need to get to silverwood wand tech so I can make a sceptre so I can node-in-a-jar without infusion.

You need to research infusion to get the tech for silverwood wands because they're made on altars. But you don't actually need to build the altar until later.

If you're looking for a good Centi-Vis node, there's a messis-aer node that will give you 5 everything just north east of the swamp delta teleport. It may be a bit tainted, but if you're quick on your feet (i.e. you set up everything BEFORE you unjar the node) you'll only have to do a bit of spot-clearing with spare pure daisies/blooms. Once the node is properly thaumfucked into an energized node it loses its taint aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Making Silverwood wand cores, iirc, takes an Infusion ritual.

Make a Gold Capped Greatwood Scepter instead, the scepter research is gated behind silverwood wand cores. Greatwood Scepters hold 75 Vis - I've yet to do a single infusion and have a good CV node set up.