Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I've got a player in my group with a similar stunt, he's allowed to attack two enemies that are in the same zone. Normally I'd have made it cost a fate point or make it once per conflict or something but my group has the problem that it takes them forever to finish a conflict because they barely engage with the system other than "roll dice, add approach." So, maybe don't worry about it if you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Yes, don't worry about it. Stunts are already meant to do stuff that would cost a FP, and making an area attack costs precisely that. Just let him rock it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Transient People posted:

Yes, don't worry about it. Stunts are already meant to do stuff that would cost a FP, and making an area attack costs precisely that. Just let him rock it.

Yeah, I'd just let it go. Throw a wrench into it by having occasional close quarters conflicts where he can't use it without hitting his friends or collapsing the ceiling, make it so enemies all concentrate fire on him when they realize what he's packing, and so on.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My only worry is if it runs away with combat a bit. Not usually a big deal in Fate but I want to keep an eye on it. My first session running fate had some rules wrong so he blew dudes away too easily but it was a fairly combat light adventure so it didn't matter much at that point. We're playing star wars so it's going to come up.

It's technically an overcharged blaster not a grenade, maybe I can have it fail or wonk out if he over uses it. Get fractal and track a little heat sink stress track on my gm sheet.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
A more roundabout solution is to run a group of mooks as a single character called a Mob, then give his attack +2 attack vs mobs.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It can also depend on setting. AoE style attacks can be fairly potent in "adventure fantasy" games where there's a big tradition of hordes of minor enemies and most combat takes place in wilderness or abandoned ruins that no one really cares about. In a modern (non-military) setting like urban fantasy or mystery then AoE attacks are much more difficult to use since there's almost always going to be something that you're not particularly trying to blow up and blowing buildings apart tends to make you a target of law enforcement.

I probably wouldn't charge anything (other than the stunt) for an "attack a zone" effect in a modern setting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
"Since I have a Grenade Launcher, I can always attack a zone if I spend a fate point or accept a minor cost."

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
That sounds like something I'd let my players do for a FP anyway... if they had a Grenade Launcher.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know we don't talk about the Worlds of Adventure stuff a lot, but Masters of Umdaar released today. It's a sci-fantasy setting inspired by stuff like He-Man, Thundercats, Kamandi, and 80's action figures.

It also has a bunch of optional random-roll tables for seeing what kind of animal/robot humanoid hybrid you are.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yeah, I ran into that earlier today. It looked like a cool little title. I was going to look into it's cliffhanger mechanic later as it seemed interesting. Best part is probably the weird combos you can become.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The cliffhanger system is pretty elegant at first look-through. It's a "get 3 successes in 5 rounds" thing, but the GM sets a difficulty for using each of the six approaches; one's the "easy way" at difficulty +1, two are the "less easy way" at +3, two are the "tricky way" at +5, and one is the "hard way" at +7. It's like a simpler implementation of a fractal'd task.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The way you're describing it reminds me of a 4e skill challenge. Am I far off base?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

The way you're describing it reminds me of a 4e skill challenge. Am I far off base?
Not really, except this feels more practical since you're using broad approaches instead of narrow skills, people can help each other via Create Advantage, and the rules specifically state that if someone comes up with a really clever way to use the "hard way" approach, let them do it at a much lower difficulty to reward thinking out of the box.

Players can also "feel out" difficulty through CA. "You create the whatever aspect, and you get the impression that brute-forcing your way out may not be the best idea here."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not really, except this feels more practical since you're using broad approaches instead of narrow skills, people can help each other via Create Advantage, and the rules specifically state that if someone comes up with a really clever way to use the "hard way" approach, let them do it at a much lower difficulty to reward thinking out of the box.

Players can also "feel out" difficulty through CA. "You create the whatever aspect, and you get the impression that brute-forcing your way out may not be the best idea here."

That does sound a lot better than the alternative and approaches do avoid the narrowness of skills. Sounds like a pretty legit system, all around.

Also, unrelated thought, but AR is a drat good fit for pulp scifi and could probably do Mass Effect and Star Wars, no?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know a lot of people have used it for Star Trek, so I don't see why not.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Covok posted:

That does sound a lot better than the alternative and approaches do avoid the narrowness of skills. Sounds like a pretty legit system, all around.

Also, unrelated thought, but AR is a drat good fit for pulp scifi and could probably do Mass Effect and Star Wars, no?

Having run a space fantasy with AR before, I can confirm. It's great for that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I decided to write up a bit of a guide for my players (if I have any) for the Mass Effect PBP that I'm thinking of. How does it look?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

I decided to write up a bit of a guide for my players (if I have any) for the Mass Effect PBP that I'm thinking of. How does it look?
One way I've seen to handle non-human races is to require non-humans to work their race into their high concept. That way you can just use invokes for things (krogans are good at fighting, so I can still invoke my Krogan diplomat aspect), and it becomes a permission for stunts as racial abilities.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Evil Mastermind posted:

One way I've seen to handle non-human races is to require non-humans to work their race into their high concept. That way you can just use invokes for things (krogans are good at fighting, so I can still invoke my Krogan diplomat aspect), and it becomes a permission for stunts as racial abilities.

It's kind of a poor solution, IMO. I mean, it works for Mass Effect and other Star Wars-likes if you're trying to really emulate the source material, but only because every non-human is a walking, talking stereotype. Imagine putting down Puerto Rican Demolitionist as your primary in like a modern black-ops game.

GM: Puerto Rican? Like is he one of those super patriotic guys with the tiny flags on his car?

Player: No, I needed it for permission on these stunts that make me really good at driving cars and stabbing people in the neck.

GM: :yikes:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, yes, racist players are a problem. They're not a mechanical one, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, yes, racist players are a problem. They're not a mechanical one, though.

I guess my main complaint is with Mass Effect as a setting :v:
It makes sense to have "Krogan" or "Asari" in your primary because the galaxy is mega racist, so of course Krogan->lumbering barbarian, just let the krogan win, let's all point our guns at the krogan, and Asari->space ladiez, lmao what happens if you do the do in zero g, psychic I guess

It just seems kind of crass, like 1st edition AD&D where "elf" was its own character class.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I can at least get behind that.

I played through the first two, but I stopped playing 3 after like 5 hours. I just stopped caring.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel it works as it is since my method is essentially a carte blanc on such matters. "If you're an alien and want to take a stunt/mega-stunt to reflect your alien biology, do so" covers it without making humans feel like the baseline and play up to sterotypes. Making it more like "Because I a natural biotic, I get +1 to create an advantage with biotics" and such. This is especially true since I also said that you could just go whole hog and let anyone take mega-stunts without a weird mode so there is no mechanical difference between humans aliens.

deadly_pudding posted:

It makes sense to have "Krogan" or "Asari" in your primary because the galaxy is mega racist, so of course Krogan->lumbering barbarian, just let the krogan win, let's all point our guns at the krogan, and Asari->space ladiez, lmao what happens if you do the do in zero g, psychic I guess

It just seems kind of crass, like 1st edition AD&D where "elf" was its own character class.

I never really thought of it like that before, but I feel that analysis might be a bit of an oversimplification. There is a general vibe that galaxy in-setting is racist, but the game has a lot of characters who don't promote them. For example, while everyone treats Krograns like they are all monsters, whenever you get to know a Krogan closely (like Wrex or Grunt), you learn that they are just as "human" as anyone else except that their culture values warriors more than scientists and find themselves pushed into a warrior role from factors in galactic society.

Who knows, though, I could be wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So the racism in Mass Effect is institutionalized?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

So the racism in Mass Effect is institutionalized?

Maybe? Don't really know what the means exactly. If you mean that the galactic culture perpetuates it, then sort of. It's also perpetuated by the planet's own cultures. Like, Krogans are treated as all warriors by the galactic civilization, but also their own civilization. You run into a decent number of Krogan scientists, for example, but, when you end up talking to one of them, he will admit he feels wrong doing it because his culture doesn't value this skillset and wishes he could be a warrior. So, in other words, it's not anything biological and they are just as smart as anyone else and all that, but they are pushed into this role by their social roles.

Of course, thinking more on it, there is some blatant racism with Krogan puberty being a period where they get riled up and need to run about and fight to calm down. Or how Salarians brains move a mile a minute meaning more of them end up so scientist though you do run into a fair share of Salarian who don't play up to that role. So, it isn't perfect, but there are more than a few moments where bioware tries to say that the sterotypes are just sterotypes even if there are more than a few times, looking back on it, that they gently caress that up.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

To cut this potential shitstorm at the pass, the correct answer here is that no, racial aspects as a mandatory thing are Not A Cool Idea. Just let people decide if being an X matters tons of them on their own and leave it at that.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's as any FATE aspect. Do you want the spotlight constantly on that particular side of your character? If I'm a Proud High elf of the west and constantly speak with the wise words of the trees, then sure, "West Elf, Archmage" is a good aspect for you. If you're just an elf orphan that grew in a city, then you're just "Oliver Twist, with a twist" with pointy ears.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Transient People posted:

To cut this potential shitstorm at the pass, the correct answer here is that no, racial aspects as a mandatory thing are Not A Cool Idea. Just let people decide if being an X matters tons of them on their own and leave it at that.

Well, that's how I originally, and still do, have it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just getting into this system with a somewhat experienced GM, and it. Seems. Awesome :awesome:

We're embarking on a grand theme we call "The Silk Road", with subsequent themes like "The Fugitives" and "Marco Polo". The catch is, it's an "all nuke sails to the wind" alchemy-punk setting, in which it's somewhere just shy of 1780, and free nuclear energy and somehow-working spaceships are manned by daring mustachiod weirdos with mechanized knife throwers and alkahest flamethrowers :3:

I'm really stoked about how game masters and players write the setting and plot together. While this is not the first time I've tried such collaborative concepts, it's definitely the first time I've done so with a comprehensive and flexible rule set!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tias posted:

Just getting into this system with a somewhat experienced GM, and it. Seems. Awesome :awesome:

We're embarking on a grand theme we call "The Silk Road", with subsequent themes like "The Fugitives" and "Marco Polo". The catch is, it's an "all nuke sails to the wind" alchemy-punk setting, in which it's somewhere just shy of 1780, and free nuclear energy and somehow-working spaceships are manned by daring mustachiod weirdos with mechanized knife throwers and alkahest flamethrowers :3:

I'm really stoked about how game masters and players write the setting and plot together. While this is not the first time I've tried such collaborative concepts, it's definitely the first time I've done so with a comprehensive and flexible rule set!

This sounds awesome. I'm glad you're having fun.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So, working on a FATE game titled "Wizard Wars" and the premise is ridiculously themed "wizards" engaged in struggles for supremacy with one another. Most of their magic takes the form of normal skills taken to extraordinary levels with each class of wizard specializing in a single skill. Currently I'm putting together a list of Extras purchasable for each type of Wizard and I thought I'd throw a few out to see what people thing of the concepts/balance. These are meant to be "big" stunts that cost at least two Refresh per ability. Obviously this list is incomplete.

Car Wizard (Drive)

*Jump Start: You can start or open any vehicle with a touch (unusual vehicles or those with exceptional security may require an Overcome action with your Drive skill).

*Keep Rolling: No vehicle you're driving can be Taken Out of a conflict. It can still take damage and suffer Consequences but no matter how badly damaged it is the pieces will keep on driving so long as you remain at the wheel. You can spend a Fate Point to allow you to start and drive a wrecked vehicle, so long as it is still recognizable as a vehicle.

*Here Come The Calvary: If another player is taking part in a Scene and you aren't present you can spend a Fate Point to arrive on the Scene regardless of any distance or obstacles that should have prevented it...so long as you have access to a functional vehicle. You can bring passengers along for the ride.

*Off-Roading: You can drive vehicles across any surface safely and comfortable: over sand, mud, rocks, ice, water, lava, the sides of buildings, etc. You have to keep moving in order to avoid the consequences of what you're driving over.

*Wheels Of Fire: When you ram something or someone with your vehicle you can spend a Fate Point to cause it to explode in a fiery blast along with any other vehicles impacted (treat it as a Weapon: 3 attack, +1 for each additional vehicle involved in the crash). It's a good idea to bail out first of course.

*Burn Out: For a Fate Point you can unleash a gout of thick smoke, scorching flames or slippery grease from your vehicle's exhaust or tires. Whatever the form, treat this as an attack with your Drive skill against any target behind your vehicle (if you're being chased this affects every pursuer).

Muscle Wizard (Physique)

*Smash! For a Fate Point you can make an attack with your Physique skill against everyone in the same Zone. An extra Fate Point includes all adjacent zones as well (you can keep spending points to increase the size as you wish).

*Flying Fist: For a Fate Point you can make a Fighting Attack as a ranged attack. This should be treated as an unarmed attack and can be combined with Smash!

*Break The Unbreakable: You can always attempt to break, punch through or destroy any inanimate object. There is no such thing as "too strong" and the maximum obstacle rating for any such feat is equal to your Physique skill. Exceptionally large objects or structures can be destroyed...but it may take some time.

*Mystic Flex: You may flex your muscles with such intensity that you can use your Physique skill without making actual physical contact, so long as the target of the skill is within the same zone.

*Iron Pecs: You have Armor 2 against physical attacks.

Gun Wizard (Shooting)

*Walking Arsenal: There are no limits to the quantity of weapons and ammunition you can keep on your person, so long as you have a pocket or coat (or sufficient hair) for them to be pulled out of.

*BFG: (Requires: Walking Arsenal) For a Fate Point you can pull out a truly gigantic weapon (minigun, bazooka, etc) and empty it at a target. This is a Shooting attack, with a weapon rating of 4.

*Special Delivery: By spending a fate point you can fire a bullet that will be transmitted through a communications or delivery format (phone line, email, package, etc). Just fire into the point of origin and the bullet fires out at whoever receives the delivery or answers the line (treat this as a normal shooting attack).

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

oriongates posted:

So, working on a FATE game titled "Wizard Wars" and the premise is ridiculously themed "wizards" engaged in struggles for supremacy with one another. Most of their magic takes the form of normal skills taken to extraordinary levels with each class of wizard specializing in a single skill. Currently I'm putting together a list of Extras purchasable for each type of Wizard and I thought I'd throw a few out to see what people thing of the concepts/balance. These are meant to be "big" stunts that cost at least two Refresh per ability. Obviously this list is incomplete.

Car Wizard (Drive)

*Jump Start: You can start or open any vehicle with a touch (unusual vehicles or those with exceptional security may require an Overcome action with your Drive skill).

*Keep Rolling: No vehicle you're driving can be Taken Out of a conflict. It can still take damage and suffer Consequences but no matter how badly damaged it is the pieces will keep on driving so long as you remain at the wheel. You can spend a Fate Point to allow you to start and drive a wrecked vehicle, so long as it is still recognizable as a vehicle.

*Here Come The Calvary: If another player is taking part in a Scene and you aren't present you can spend a Fate Point to arrive on the Scene regardless of any distance or obstacles that should have prevented it...so long as you have access to a functional vehicle. You can bring passengers along for the ride.

*Off-Roading: You can drive vehicles across any surface safely and comfortable: over sand, mud, rocks, ice, water, lava, the sides of buildings, etc. You have to keep moving in order to avoid the consequences of what you're driving over.

*Wheels Of Fire: When you ram something or someone with your vehicle you can spend a Fate Point to cause it to explode in a fiery blast along with any other vehicles impacted (treat it as a Weapon: 3 attack, +1 for each additional vehicle involved in the crash). It's a good idea to bail out first of course.

*Burn Out: For a Fate Point you can unleash a gout of thick smoke, scorching flames or slippery grease from your vehicle's exhaust or tires. Whatever the form, treat this as an attack with your Drive skill against any target behind your vehicle (if you're being chased this affects every pursuer).

A car wizard is going to be pretty useless in a game about wizards and not about racing. Ask yourself, just how often are the PCs going to be in chases? If the answer is less than two or three times a session, reconsider.

quote:

Muscle Wizard (Physique)

*Smash! For a Fate Point you can make an attack with your Physique skill against everyone in the same Zone. An extra Fate Point includes all adjacent zones as well (you can keep spending points to increase the size as you wish).

*Flying Fist: For a Fate Point you can make a Fighting Attack as a ranged attack. This should be treated as an unarmed attack and can be combined with Smash!

*Break The Unbreakable: You can always attempt to break, punch through or destroy any inanimate object. There is no such thing as "too strong" and the maximum obstacle rating for any such feat is equal to your Physique skill. Exceptionally large objects or structures can be destroyed...but it may take some time.

*Mystic Flex: You may flex your muscles with such intensity that you can use your Physique skill without making actual physical contact, so long as the target of the skill is within the same zone.

*Iron Pecs: You have Armor 2 against physical attacks.

Smash! is a one-shot kill for encounters. Party spends one round creating advantages, then blow them all on one Smash attack with like a dozen shifts against every enemy.

Flying Fist shouldn't cost a fate point.

quote:

Gun Wizard (Shooting)

*Walking Arsenal: There are no limits to the quantity of weapons and ammunition you can keep on your person, so long as you have a pocket or coat (or sufficient hair) for them to be pulled out of.

*BFG: (Requires: Walking Arsenal) For a Fate Point you can pull out a truly gigantic weapon (minigun, bazooka, etc) and empty it at a target. This is a Shooting attack, with a weapon rating of 4.

*Special Delivery: By spending a fate point you can fire a bullet that will be transmitted through a communications or delivery format (phone line, email, package, etc). Just fire into the point of origin and the bullet fires out at whoever receives the delivery or answers the line (treat this as a normal shooting attack).

Walking Arsenal sounds more like an aspect than a stunt.

BFG translates mechanically to "Spend a fate point, your next attack does 4 extra shifts of damage if it hits." Trading accuracy for power isn't too bad on the balance, especially since it can only be fueled by fate points. Be sure to not let them use it with regular Invokes though.

Special Delivery seems awfully murder hobo, but maybe that fits the tone.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Smash should be same-zone only. It shouldn't be a one-shot-kill by any means if it's set up like that, it's just the expansions that push it over the top. Seems like an OK stunt to me otherwise.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

A car wizard is going to be pretty useless in a game about wizards and not about racing. Ask yourself, just how often are the PCs going to be in chases? If the answer is less than two or three times a session, reconsider.

Totally keeping the car wizard. My goal is just going to be trying to ensure that they are useful for more than just chase scenes. It is certainly more utility/transportation focused than combat focused, but I'm sure I can come up with some other tricks to ensure it's worthwhile.

quote:

Smash! is a one-shot kill for encounters. Party spends one round creating advantages, then blow them all on one Smash attack with like a dozen shifts against every enemy.

Flying Fist shouldn't cost a fate point.

Hmm...good point on Smash, since advantages add to your rolls directly. If I were GMing I'd probably point out that there's really not many applicable advantages/aspects that could be created for such a situation IMO...but I also want it to be clear without me adjudicating it directly. However, I think all I need to do to make sure that it's not unbalanced is to point out the potential for collateral damage/friendly fire. It may end an encounter but it also may collapse any nearby buildings, especially if the area is expanded.

Good point on Flying Fist.

quote:

Walking Arsenal sounds more like an aspect than a stunt.

BFG translates mechanically to "Spend a fate point, your next attack does 4 extra shifts of damage if it hits." Trading accuracy for power isn't too bad on the balance, especially since it can only be fueled by fate points. Be sure to not let them use it with regular Invokes though.

Good point. Walking Arsenal is cool, but without different weapon stats (which I don't intend to use) it's just an easy way to conceal weapons/ammo and you could just carry a derringer or something for the most part.

Maybe if I combine the concepts and turn it into a tool for creating weaponry aspects (i.e. create an advantage to pull out an X)...I'll think about it.

quote:

Special Delivery seems awfully murder hobo, but maybe that fits the tone.

Basically it's for doing this:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Car stealth needs to be a thing, as do smug, turtleneck wearing hitmen who come out of nowhere in their electric cars.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 23, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ErichZahn posted:

Car stealth needs to be a thing, as does a sneak attack for hybrids and electrics.

Ooo! You could do the thing where the car's color, license plate, and body mods transform in order to disguise it.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That's definitely going on the list, although probably just as a standard stunt.

Another thought: Parallel Parking- when faced with a traffic based obstacle (no parking space, traffic jam, cow in the road, etc) you can spend a Fate Point to shift to a close parallel reality where things are mostly identical except that obstacle does not exist any longer.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

oriongates posted:

That's definitely going on the list, although probably just as a standard stunt.

Another thought: Parallel Parking- when faced with a traffic based obstacle (no parking space, traffic jam, cow in the road, etc) you can spend a Fate Point to shift to a close parallel reality where things are mostly identical except that obstacle does not exist any longer.

Consider this. If the GM tells the player that they can't go inside because there is nowhere to park, that's a Compel. The player can then find a place to park by spending a fate point to ignore/resist the compel.

So what your stunt does is make is so that players lose a stunt slot and lose a fate point when they don't spend a fate point to resist traffic related compels.

Really, if this is a game about wizards, a lot of it is going to boil down to permissions. Say two wizards are tracking another wizard. One is flying high in the sky like Superman, because they're a wizard. The other is driving a car, because they're also a wizard. They want to roll Stealth to make sure that they aren't noticed. The flying wizard can do so no problem, so you should also let the driving wizard do the same without a problem as well. Let the skills do the heavy lifting for you, save Stunts for the big things, the concrete mechanical advantages, rather than the flavorful stuff that boils down to "make a skill check to do something one way with magic when it's normally done another way".

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Fair point. I'm clearly thinking a little small, and I'm probably a bit hung up on the idea of spending something for an effect.

How about this:

So long as you are currently driving a vehicle you can use your Drive skill to Create an Advantage or Overcome an Obstacle by driving into close parallel realities where desired Aspect does or does not exist.

Effectively, expanding the use of the Drive skill significantly, and vastly expanding the options you have for Creating and Overcoming, allowing you to do things like changing the weather, altering your environment, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

oriongates posted:

So long as you are currently driving a vehicle you can use your Drive skill to Create an Advantage or Overcome an Obstacle by driving into close parallel realities where desired Aspect does or does not exist.

I think that is insanely awesome, simply from the concept! It's a great way to use the narrative power of stunts instead of just giving flat boni to dice rolls.