Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Arcadia Quest is more like FFA team deathmatch with dota-like mobs on the map. Or moba-ish, I guess. You run around killing each other and trying to get objectives and when one of your mans dies you can respawn next to your other mans at the cost of an action. In between rounds, you spend your earned gold and draft upgrades that are sort of like the type of upgrades you might outfit ships with in x-wing. Has dicey resolution with exploding dice that can be corny/fun/imbalanced.

It's pretty fun! I think there is some potential to really grief other players though, I played a game where everyone immediately dogpiled on me on the second map and basically spawn camped me into oblivion but honestly that was probably a good plan since I'm basically homo superior when it comes to games. But if your friends are dicks it might not work so hot, so it's probably not a Good Game. There's some potential to pick on the weak players for easy kills.

edit: also it takes FOREVER to set up. And the upgrading between rounds is probably some of the most fun, like a limited format X-wing list building thing almost. I'll only ever play it if I have some people staying over, so we can at least play 3 rounds or so.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, spawn camping sounds like it could be a legitimate problem, I remember that cropping up in our one excruciating game of STEVE JACKSON'S FRAG where I would kill a guy, then he would respawn right within range of me, and of course because movement is randomly rolled in Frag more than once that person would roll like poo poo, fail to get far enough away from me, and eat another attack.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kai Tave posted:

Tell me more about Arcadia Quest. My game store has a copy but I overlooked it thinking "oh, a dungeon crawl board game with flashy art, probably gonna be a style over substance thing," but if it's actually decent I'd love to know more details. I've also been thinking about picking up Wrath of Ashardalon which I've heard good (if not exceptional) things about as a fantasy SWAT team simulator.

http://youtu.be/OGLh-S6nAtA

Better overview than I can type.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

The problem with my age knight is that it is a good game but you are still helping wizkids to stay afloat.

Nah. HeroClix keeps WizKids afloat regardless. Mage Knight and other board games are a relatively small side revenue stream.

I mean, sure, MK is popular as hell. So is Dungeons and Dragons, but no one would argue D&D revenue is keeping Wizards of the Coast afloat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

http://youtu.be/OGLh-S6nAtA

Better overview than I can type.

gently caress yeah, Watch It Played. I'll check it out, thanks.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
In all fairness only games recommended to me have been Mystic, Arcadia quest, decent and talisman. And Mage knight

I wasn't expecting a slew of games that could scratch the warhammer quest itch but am hoping to get at least something to look more into or a common game people enjoy

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 15, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

In all fairness only games recommended to me have been Mystic, Arcadia quest, decent and talisman

I wasn't expecting a slew of games that could scratch the warhammer quest itch but am hoping to get at least something to look more into or a common game people enjoy

If you want to play together vs game controlled bad guys, try a D&D board game like the Temple of Elemental Evil game that just came out or pick up Wrath of Ashardalon on sale.

If you want to play 1v1, get Claustrophobia.

If you want to play 1vMany, with one person playing as the DM, but you can also play 1v1, get Descent/Imperial Assault.

If you want to play free for all Moba-styleWarcraft 3 pvp mob hunting, get Arcadia Quest.

edit: vvv yes! YES!

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 15, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
And if you want the hardcore fantasy adventure experience, grab Mage Knight, by thread lord and savior Vlaada Chvatil. (The board game, not the poo poo miniatures game.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you want to play free for all Moba-style, get Arcadia Quest.

I really don't get where you see the moba style. The game is played on tiles just like Warhammer quest. It's a quest/campaign based dungeon crawler hack and slash. It's not a lane style farming monsters and attacking bases game like mobas. The quests can be pve or pvp, you roll for combat, etc. The only thing I can see a correlation of is buying items, but that fits both genres equally.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I really don't get where you see the moba style. The game is played on tiles just like Warhammer quest. It's a quest/campaign based dungeon crawler hack and slash. It's not a lane style farming monsters and attacking bases game like mobas. The quests can be pve or pvp, you roll for combat, etc. The only thing I can see a correlation of is buying items, but that fits both genres equally.

You have to PVP as one of the objectives for every scenario. The other games mentioned above don't generally involved pvp, but are more pve with the E sometimes controlled by a player. AQ, for us at least, is more like Warcraft 3 where the mobs are loot piñatas that will occasionally kick your rear end but are mostly a means to an end, where that end is pwning the other players or getting to the objective before they do. Heck, the mobs don't even move unless you wander next to it, and when they trigger they are controlled by one of the other players.

In a game like Imperial Assault, you don't worry about when that wookie is going to turn around and ignore the storm troopers to kill-steal your rear end and murder your low health guy

e: I've played WHQ. It's more like the D&D games. co-op vs game

vvv fine replace moba with WC3 mobbin'

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 15, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Warcraft 3 is an RTS, you heathen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OmegaGoo posted:

Rutibex is our resident pet troll. We love him regardless.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Mage Knight yet. It has all the good things of a dungeon delve game.

True. It also has most of the bad things of several other games, all in the same box.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
what are the bad things

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

e: I've played WHQ. It's more like the D&D games. co-op vs game

Definitely looking more for the pve aspect vs pvp, despite my love of being able to screw with other players

I'll check out the new d&d although the earlier ones didn't do much for us in terms of leveling and or variety of characters

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Zombie #246 posted:

what are the bad things

Jedit's distate for Vlaada.

And length. And the PvP rules.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mage Knight understands that all of the good characters in a D&D game are wizards and makes all of the classes a wizard. You can play Dragon-wizard, Bard-wizard, Fighter-wizard, Druid-wizard, Ranger-wizard, Orc-wizard and Wizard-wizard. Many people find Wizard-wizard to be the most powerful, but that's just because she has a very straightforward playstyle that tolerates mistakes. Dragon-wizard is my personal favorite, but Fighter-wizard is probably the best option for new players because he is very reliable. (that is, most of his powers are always-on)

You take actions in Mage Knight by playing cards which you draw from a deck. These cards have actions printed on them, like Move 3 or Block 2 or Attack 3, but also have powered up versions that can be played with mana. You get one free mana every turn, and also gain mana from killing people or by being on certain spaces. This allows you to save up to have big turns where you kill dudes that would otherwise be impossible.

As you do this you'll level up, which gives you a few things:
- tokens that can be used to give your character abilities you don't have to draw.
- space to recruit units, which are cards and are played as cards, but are always available until used.
- better cards, called advanced actions.
- the ability to keep more cards in your hand.

You'll also gain other cards by getting magic spells from wizard towers and by liberating artifacts from dumb peace-loving monks. These are even more powerful than advanced actions, but may require a specific set-up to use to their fullest extent. In addition, Artifacts can be stolen from you with PvP rules on.

These cards will be necessary, because monsters are basically small puzzles in and of themselves, and will frequently require specialized spells or a particular arrangement of your cards in-hand plus mana to defeat. From the beginning to end of the game to the end, you'll go from clearing easy monsters one-by-one, to obliterating multiple extremely difficult monsters at the same time. And it will be because you understand your cards and abilities very well.

What this game does, once you've understood the rules, is allow for clear, thematic growth of character abilities and powers without much bookkeeping. Here are the caveats:
1. Mage Knight is long. You're looking at roughly 4 hours your first time through or if you're playing with a total of 2 - 3 people. Never play with 4 or 5.

2. Random Draw. Mage Knight takes much of its inspiration for character building from Dominion, but doesn't have as many built-in safety features to prevent a really bad draw from screwing a player. A popular variant rule solves the issue of drawing your first hand without any move and essentially being screwed out of the initiative, much like drawing a hand without mana in Magic: The Gathering.

3. Analysis Paralysis. Mage Knight can inspire players to take very, very long terms to maximize the efficiency of their play. This is essentially unavoidable. The game does encourage players to make all of their moves as much as possible with the possibility of take-backs, only preventing players from reverting once they've revealed new information. Depending on your personal style, this may not be enough.

Those caveats aside, Mage Knight is a strong recommendation for anyone that wants a co-op game about romping around in a fantastical landscape. It's notable that most of the flaws in MK are most pronounced in competitive settings, and that they are much easier to deal with in a co-op situation. If you're familiar with other co-op games, you should know that MK, unlike most other co-op games, has no quarterbacking problem. The game is simply too complex for other players to tell you how to play your cards while also dealing with theirs.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'd cite the rules loading as another caveat of Mage Knight. It's a lot more effort to get someone up to speed and playing without intervention than it is many other games that I also enjoy

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Shadows of brimstone is pretty much warhammer quest with a cowboy vs monsters theme if that's what you're looking for.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm in the market for a classic Audi Quattro S1 board game. You know, from the golden age of schedule B rally racing push your luck board gaming. Failing that, what's a good Subaru WRX game? Thanks.

I'm serious here. I like cars and board games.

Rallyman. All day. All night. Game is awesome.

Regarding the v2 rules for Myth - do they make the game legitimately good, or just rescue it from being poo poo?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I played a few new games at a meetup today.

As others have said, Mysterium is essentially co-op Dixit. I played with strangers and we lost because our ghost player never really picked up on how the investigators were interpreting the clues. If the investigators all agree that one choice is clearly correct, and then it isn't, the ghost must bear the blame. On the other hand, with friends it would amplify Dixit's replay problem: if your group learns that certain cards always point to the same culprit or location, then the game could become trivially easy. We played an American box using the original Polish rules. Apparently the American rules add a voting mechanic that makes it more like Dixit, turning it into some sort of co-op/competitive hybrid that I didn't fully understand.

The other was Mafia de Cuba, a preview copy of a game that will be released at Essen. This is a social deduction game very much like One Night Ultimate Werewolf, except that you get to choose your role. We played with 8 and everyone loved it. One player is the mafia don. He has a cigar box with a bunch of diamonds, some loyal henchmen, FBI agents, etc. He leaves the room while the other players pass the box in a circle, secretly removing any number of diamonds or a role chip. Then he returns and starts grilling everybody. If he correctly accuses all the thieves and recovers all his diamonds, he and the loyal henchmen win. If he accuses a loyal henchman (if the group is large enough, he gets one mulligan), the unaccused thief with the most diamonds wins. Of course, there are spoiler roles--the FBI agent only wins if the don accuses him, the street urchin wins if any thief wins, etc. It was different enough from Werewolf to feel fresh and fun, but I'm biased because I really enjoy this kind of game.

Bonus tidbit: I overheard a guy pronounce "Trajan" as if it rhymed with "Catan".

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 16, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was thinking of picking up sleeves for One Night, went to their site, saw that sleeves were loving $20 for 50. Jesus goddamn Christ that is a hell of a gouge. Does anyone know if anyone else sells sleeves that size?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zombie #246 posted:

what are the bad things

Let's just say that every time I see someone take a brief break from sucking Czechoslovakian cock to slag off a market row deckbuilder with multiple resources, I chuckle quietly to myself.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GrandpaPants posted:

I was thinking of picking up sleeves for One Night, went to their site, saw that sleeves were loving $20 for 50. Jesus goddamn Christ that is a hell of a gouge. Does anyone know if anyone else sells sleeves that size?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1065259/card-sleeves-green-label-ff-one-night-ultimate-wer

First search result in google.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The End posted:

Regarding the v2 rules for Myth - do they make the game legitimately good, or just rescue it from being poo poo?

That depends on what you didn't like about the original rules. From my understanding, most people didn't like the first game for one or more of 2 reasons. 1- The expandable model of the game and how you can spend like 500 bucks on it. 2- The rules were explained in a loving terrible way and most people never even got to play it correctly.

Not a ton actually changed from v1 to v2. Mostly what was changed was the layout and wording of the rulebook itself. I know that's saying "sure the game didn't change" to some people but I think we can all agree that a rulebook you can't get past means a game you can't get started.

Personally I would say that the game is legitimately interesting and fun. It has more teamwork and discussion than Imperial Assault or any of the D&D dungeon crawl board games. The card mechanic and how you level up your character is very cool, though the leveling up is still in development, and in that way problem 1 stated above comes into play. But the base game is definitely fun. Just know that you're getting into a Descent/ImpAss/whatever style expandable dungeon crawl instead of a fully self-contained game.

Oh, and finally, the rules are free to download anyway. So you can just read them yourself. If you've got any specific questions though please do ask.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Jedit posted:

Let's just say that every time I see someone take a brief break from sucking Czechoslovakian cock to slag off a market row deckbuilder with multiple resources, I chuckle quietly to myself.

I apologize I'm still not following

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

something something can't read rules something

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Zombie #246 posted:

I think Mage Knight has an element of market row deckbuilding. And Jedit really doesn't like Vladaa?
hth but I'm not too sure myself.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mage Knight uses decks of cards, much like Sentinels of the Multiverse

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Board Game Thread: You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Lord Frisk posted:

Its generally well regarded around here, though not as deep, but more elegant than Race. Personally I'd try to get it on sale, but I'm not the target market.

How on earth is Roll for the Galaxy more elegant than Race? Almost every mechanic is clunkier even if it's easier to explain.

deadly_pudding posted:

Mechanically, I'm not totally convinced that cheating at Roll would improve your chances of winning much. Players end up with a lot of ways to manipulate their dice results anyway, and you're still bound by which phases people select. Anything less obvious than stacking like 8 dice on Settle to pop out 3 planets in one turn is going to just be equivalent to a normal result, I think :shrug:

Even if this was true (I really doubt it) it would be a pretty severe indictment of the game. If dice rolls are so meaningless that cheating at them is negligible then your game probably shouldn't be based around dice rolls.

Zombie #246 posted:

Jedit seems to have confused Mage Knight with a game where all you do is buy cards to get points. Probably misread the rulebook slightly.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bubble-T posted:

Board Game Thread: You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

How on earth is Roll for the Galaxy more elegant than Race? Almost every mechanic is clunkier even if it's easier to explain.

Even if this was true (I really doubt it) it would be a pretty severe indictment of the game. If dice rolls are so meaningless that cheating at them is negligible then your game probably shouldn't be based around dice rolls.

Jedit seems to have confused Mage Knight with a game where all you do is buy cards to get points. Probably misread the rulebook slightly.

Man, I don't know. I was parroting other people's opinions from this thread. I never played that poo poo.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

Man, I don't know. I was parroting other people's opinions from this thread. I never played that poo poo.

:psyduck:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I have never played Talisman, but given how rutibex talks about it I can only assume that Talisman is Actually Good and maybe you goons are just scared that it's actually better than Mage Knight

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

what you're sensing is the word fun

i think talisman is fun

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I have never played Talisman, but given how rutibex talks about it I can only assume that Talisman is Actually Good and maybe you goons are just scared that it's actually better than Mage Knight

OH HELL NO.

I have played Talisman. It's not good.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

Voted 5.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mage Knight is like, the best game that uses a deckbuilding mechanic that isn't Dominion. And the reason it's that is because it uses deckbuilding as one mechanic in a larger game, rather than trying to be "a deckbuilder" and then being worse at it than Dominion like everything else does.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I posted this to FB the other day and hopefully prevented a few of my friends from ever playing this dumpster fire of a game:

An Honest Review of Exploding Kittens

I have met the enemy, and it lives inside of a box that meows when you open it. That little feature should be the main selling point of Exploding Kittens. It's really the only thing that is unique about the game. There are other games about cats, there are other games that lack player agency, there are other games with awful artwork (intentional or not). But there is only one game that meows when you open the box.

There is a long and storied history in the comedy world of dressing up everyday-isms in your own brand of poo poo clothing and parading it around to the masses for them to chuckle at. This is because, at their heart, everyday-isms aren't particularly funny. However, if you camouflage them with, say, a terrible drawing or a mildly racist puppet, then people suddenly think that these everyday occurrences are unique and that the comedian is specifically speaking to them. There is clearly a market for this type of comedy, both online and off.

One such comedian/artist (using the loosest sense of both terms) made a website full of these everyday-isms and called it TheOatmeal. As I said, there's a market for this, and it really doesn't affect me, so no big deal. And I was fine having that attitude until that coating of poo poo starts to smear itself over other areas and gets into the things that I enjoy. I was a bit disappointed that the Exploding Kittens kickstarter, which featured a design and artwork by the aforementioned creator of TheOatmeal, garnered so much attention in the gaming world and so much money from so many wallets. We are nearing the point where fleecing cash from nerds should be a spectator sport, and if you don't believe me, look up the video game Star Citizen.

Nonetheless, I vowed to try it when it came out. There have been other games with bad art that were good, so maybe this would surprise me.

And oh did it ever surprise me. You see, in my world, Exploding Kittens is actually a perfect game. It is the everyday-ism of modern gaming, wrapped in a poo poo coat, embracing all the other terrible games out there in the most brilliant satire imaginable. It combines horrible game-play, terrible artwork, and an author who demonstrates that people will spend their money on horrible things and then hold them up as great. Quite literally the best cards you can get are ones that allow you to skip your turn. It is the ultimate troll of the gaming hobby and the creator is already laughing as he relaxes in his giant pile of fleeced money.

But that's my world. That's not the real world. In the real world this game is not satire. It wasn't designed as a biting social commentary on the excesses of nerd culture and the things we waste money on. It wasn't designed as a backhand slap to other terrible games that people play, like Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity. No, this game was designed simultaneously as a love letter (no pun intended) to all the fans of his mediocre comedy, as well as to maximize the amount of money that could be extracted from those fans.

The next time I open the box of Terra Mystica, or the tin of Timeline, there will be no meowing, because those boxes do not meow when you open them. And eventually, if you own a copy of Exploding Kittens, your box will not meow either. And when that day happens, and the battery runs out, the box will make the same noise that any other game box makes when you open it. Except, in every other box there will be an actual game, but in the Exploding Kittens box, there will forever be the reminder of the intersection of the most banal parts of the internet and the worst parts of board games.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Okay.

So anyway I played Churchill for the first time last night. Medium scenario, ended with Axis surrender on turn 10. Churchill won every loving conference and Global Issue, and blitzkrieged his way up Italy on the very first turn, but I (Roosevelt) managed to take over a lot of countries and get the bomb moving at a steady clip. In the last turn he gave the conference away to Stalin, who collected 20 points for his three issues plus victory. We all got into Germany at the same time, I managed to nuke Japan out without invading. Final score was 85 for me, 87 for Churchill, and 89 for Stalin; according to the game's own implied metric we had like the best, most stable alliance ever, in spite of Churchill and I completely shutting Stalin out for a couple turns, then ending things at each other's throats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

something something can't read rules something

Reminder that we're talking about Mage Knight here. Nobody can read the rules.

Anyway, I was being glib and brief because it was late. My real criticism of Mage Knight isn't any specific mechanic within it, it's the sheer number of them. It is way too heavy for what it is. I don't think this can be disputed when the introduction to the 20-page rulebook says you cannot learn how to play the game by reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think your view of what is heavy or not is just as skewed as my view of what is heavy or not, Jedit.