Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah angel beats should have been way higher
I thought you hated Angel Beats.

I liked it, as flawed as it was. It wasn't as good as Tatami of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think someone just counting the number of votes is completely fine for a very informal end of year poll on a small anime message board.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

I think someone just counting the number of votes is completely fine for a very informal end of year poll on a small anime message board.

This is true, but the results are still pretty funny.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I thought you hated Angel Beats.

:troll:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's decent. The funny parts were better than the drama

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Kyousougiga was boring

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Razzled posted:

Kyousougiga was boring

I liked it a lot. What made it boring for you?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Linnaeus posted:

I liked it a lot. What made it boring for you?

Half trolling. There are times when it's lucid enough for what it is, and is really fun to watch. But I think a lot of the "ha ha wow look at all this crazy poo poo happening because reason!" stuff loses me. I really liked gurenn lagan too, so I'm not sure what it is but I feel like I'm only getting like half of what I'm watching when I watch that show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was definitely a problem with the OVAs, one of which shows up on Crunchyroll as Episode 0, but the show itself is a lot easier to understand.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, the ONA is just kind of a series of cool animation, but the bigger series itself has a pretty coherent story and that's actually one of my favorite parts. Besides, I think any bits that are just crazy cool stuff in the middle of that are perfectly fine because hell, why not? It's well-animated!

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Anyone have any good anime that are just pure fun? Stuff like Nichijou. Normally I don't like moe anime but that's only when it's fan service. When shows throw in moe stuff because they know the plot is lacking really turns me off; but when it's so over the top like in Nichijou then it makes it super fun. I think Barakamon is a cool show too but I don't think it really fits into that category so much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Punchline is fun, but it also has fanservice as a major plot device. There's actually way less of it after the halfway point, though. It also does take itself pretty seriously at times, but the writing is pretty ridiculous and over-the-top overall.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

krampster2 posted:

Anyone have any good anime that are just pure fun? Stuff like Nichijou. Normally I don't like moe anime but that's only when it's fan service. When shows throw in moe stuff because they know the plot is lacking really turns me off; but when it's so over the top like in Nichijou then it makes it super fun. I think Barakamon is a cool show too but I don't think it really fits into that category so much.

daily lives of high school boys, teekyuu, saint young men, sabagebu

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

krampster2 posted:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Tonari no Seki-kun, and Azumanga Daioh may be up your alley.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

went through a rough patch in life and forsake anime for a bit. now i'm wanting to anime it up again. anything especially good come out since like march that i should really check out? i was hoping the new aquarion would be good, since aquarion evol was basically everything i could ever want out of anime, but after looking around for opinions out of the summer thread it sounds like it isn't too hot, which blows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My Love Story is anime of the year and I think started after then. The currently airing second season of Gatchaman Crowds is great too but you need to watch/have watched the first one.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Sakurazuka posted:

My Love Story is anime of the year and I think started after then. The currently airing second season of Gatchaman Crowds is great too but you need to watch/have watched the first one.

my love story is probably going to be one of those animes that just belongs in a must watch list like Legend of galactic heroes and Chihayafuru.

basically if you're looking for anime you missed, it's my love story.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cool, i'll definitely give that a watch then!

anything good on the action side of things?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ninjewtsu posted:

cool, i'll definitely give that a watch then!

anything good on the action side of things?

DanMachi isn't exactly bringing anything new to the table, but I thought it was a fun watch.

aquarion evolv was 2012, so it's been three years? Attack on Titan, Akame ga Kill, Kill la Kill, and JoJo's Bizarre adventure latest iteration might do you well.

or it's been like 4 months and you're asking quite a bit. Overlord maybe?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rokka no Yuusha has been pretty good so far but it's more mystery than action now.

The new season of Symphogear is as ridiculously over the top as always.

Rolling Girls never quite lived up to the first two episodes but was pretty entertaining.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 12, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We'll have One Punch Man in October, hold out until then.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

DanMachi isn't exactly bringing anything new to the table, but I thought it was a fun watch.

aquarion evolv was 2012, so it's been three years? Attack on Titan, Akame ga Kill, Kill la Kill, and JoJo's Bizarre adventure latest iteration might do you well.

or it's been like 4 months and you're asking quite a bit. Overlord maybe?

it's just been a few months, i've seen all of those, except for akame ga kill and the second season of jjba part 3 and akame ga kill. i assume that's ended by now? are they going to do part 4 too?

i think i saw something somewhere about aldnoah getting another show? that was what kind of made me think about going back to anime. has the first episode of that aired yet? wikipedia says first episode was set for july

i'm figuring i'll most just go through and check out every show that's gotten it's own thread, was just wondering if there was any super standouts like my love story that i should get on right away, without having to do a million 3 episode tests with my ADHD attention span

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't bother with Aldnoah, the second season squandered everything good about the first one.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well i mean, i had watched all of aldnoah and liked it (first season great second season not as good but worthwhile). i thought i saw something saying that there would be even more coming out? like a sequel or something? did i misread something or imagine that

i feel like a real baka now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think people were just speculating in the thread because the ending was such a damp squib but I haven't seen anything about an actual sequel.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Rolling Girls never quite lived up to the first two episodes but was pretty entertaining.

It started off so promising and instantly devolved into boring girls doing boring poo poo for at least 6 episodes until I gave up.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Last season had Blood Blockade Battlefront which is a cool action show, although the last episode has been delayed indefinitely. Heroic Legend of Arslan is also way cool. It's not an action show but Sound! Euphonium is great, my favorite thing this year so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Devil Tesla posted:

Last season had Blood Blockade Battlefront which is a cool action show, although the last episode has been delayed indefinitely. Heroic Legend of Arslan is also way cool. It's not an action show but Sound! Euphonium is great, my favorite thing this year so far.

You can still watch B3 and stop at episode 10 before they just nosedive into OG Character, Do Not Steal territory. The manga-adapted stuff is fantastic, but the anime-original stuff is pretty boring.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The anime original stuff is pretty good I feel, there's just a couple of times where it didn't mix well. I loved Paint It Black and I'm looking forward to the finale!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The OCs were best as oases of normalcy in Leo's hosed up lifestyle. People who he could sit down and relate to, with no expectations of badassery.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

The OCs were best as oases of normalcy in Leo's hosed up lifestyle. People who he could sit down and relate to, with no expectations of badassery.

Oh most definitely - White on her own merits was great. Leo doesn't actually do a lot of stuff in the manga beyond use his Eyes as-necessary, so it was great seeing him go out of his way to visit her. The stuff involving Black's where it all falls over.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
White was good. She provided someone "Normal" for Leo to bounce off of and bond with in this new world filled with maniacs.

Black's problem is that his character is pretty much sabotaged by Blank, who's so boring he makes other characters boring by association.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

White was good. She provided someone "Normal" for Leo to bounce off of and bond with in this new world filled with maniacs.

Black's problem is that his character is pretty much sabotaged by Blank, who's so boring he makes other characters boring by association.

At the most basic level, here's why the twin's story falls flat;

A brother and sister have an unknowably powerful entity appear before them out of the blue and declares they must make a choice. The brother is given supernatural gifts while the sister suffers as a result. Now, did I just talk about Leo and Michella or White and Black?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the most basic level, here's why the twin's story falls flat;

A brother and sister have an unknowably powerful entity appear before them out of the blue and declares they must make a choice. The brother is given supernatural gifts while the sister suffers as a result. Now, did I just talk about Leo and Michella or White and Black?
I don't think the fact that Black and White's story parallels Leo and Michella's is inherently a bad thing, the problem is that they don't do enough with it. Rather than any sort of thematic resonance, it just comes off as a coincidence.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think the fact that Black and White's story parallels Leo and Michella's is inherently a bad thing, the problem is that they don't do enough with it. Rather than any sort of thematic resonance, it just comes off as a coincidence.

True, but the problem is with everything else by the end it comes off more as "please pay attention to my awesome brother and sister characters rather than the ones provided". Femt and Aligula only exist to crow about how great and mighty Blank is, and on the other side of the coin Libra only exist to talk about how Casters are the most wonderful wizzes there was. Of which the only one we actually see do anything is Blank/Black and that teleporting girl in a single scene. Blank going Scanners on a back-alley criminal was pretty cool though, but outright referencing the movie dulled even that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a burning need for isolated episodes of garbage anime. Just the worst things you've got. Cheap animation, questionable themes, lame jokes, obnoxious characters - anything goes, as long as isn't also slow-paced (boredom is not what I'm looking for). My intention is to pick something at random from the middle, so if context is necessary to grasp the full depth of its badness, that's a mark against it. Being old is a plus.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 16, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I have a burning need for isolated episodes of garbage anime. Just the worst things you've got. Cheap animation, questionable themes, lame jokes, obnoxious characters - anything goes, as long as isn't also slow-paced (boredom is not what I'm looking for). My intention is to pick something at random from the middle, so if context is necessary to grasp the full depth of its badness, that's a mark against it. Being old is a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

That's more of a collection of bad scenes though

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Mad Bull 34

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Might as well watch MD Geist while you're at it.

Or Musashi Gundoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Might as well watch MD Geist while you're at it.

Or Musashi Gundoh

Are there even non-joke subs for Musashi Gundoh?

• Locked thread