Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rad Valtar posted:

Cardale Jones and Braxton Miller were running the speed option together today. We are one QB away from the dreaded Hydra QB formation.

On top of this, Torrance Gibson is planning on playing receiver this year because he wants to see the field early, meaning that the offense continues to shift into some weird gadget/option scheme wet dream. My kingdom for a Bob Stitt style fly sweep option with a Jones/Miller backfield and Gibson in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Looks like Altee Tenpenny also got kicked out of UNLV. One bad mistake after another

That sucks. Probably for the best to have locker room cohesion :(

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheGreyGhost posted:

On top of this, Torrance Gibson is planning on playing receiver this year because he wants to see the field early, meaning that the offense continues to shift into some weird gadget/option scheme wet dream. My kingdom for a Bob Stitt style fly sweep option with a Jones/Miller backfield and Gibson in motion

Jones/Barret/Miller/Gibson all in a diamond formation.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Today was a good day for photos:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Frinkahedron posted:

Better make sure you tie Frank to the deck during a windstorm.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Frinkahedron posted:

Looking more and more like our mascot by the day Frank.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor had their first closed scrimmage of the fall today. Main takeaways are that Seth Russell absolutely shredded the second string (probably) defense after the first-stringers kept him bottled up a few days ago at the open practice last weekend, starting 9-9 and eventually getting up to 17-21 for 233 yards and 3 TDs. No turnovers, which is good to see after seeing some genuine reason for concern regarding his decision making in the past. Tight Ends and RBs also combined for 6 pass catches, 3 of which and a touchdown went to co-starting TE Tre'von Armstead. That's a lot more checkdowns than Briles offenses are used to running, so an interesting takeaway there. Defensively, a few freshmen look like they might push for early playing time, Taion Sells is really chasing the starting safties, Taylor Young is looking Real Good, and Ryan Reid led the D in pass breakups with 3, which I like.

I also graduated from Baylor today, hooray

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 16, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

News: UGA did a closed scrimmage and didn't release a god drat SPECK of stats from it.

Views: Mark Richt has gained control of offseason secrecy

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Frinkahedron posted:

This is what it looks like when your star freshman DT snags an INT. He's 350lb for reference. The stick in front of him is a backup CB.

Watching him shrug off tacklers and seeing the coaching staff run for the hills when he started barreling in their direction was great. Shame about the ankle tackle because he was housing that thing.

Can't embed the video, it's straight from his Instagram.

https://instagram.com/p/6bEca8NGKwL4yeh78S7n9_OzEZtT7khX0DPkE0/

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

We also had a scrimmage tonight. As usual for this time of year, several starters were held out as a precaution, the defense got the better of the offense, and Spurrier was disgusted with the quarterback play. Our fanbase is now melting down and convinced we're going 4-8.

It was a typical preseason scrimmage, in other words.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RumbleFish posted:

We also had a scrimmage tonight. As usual for this time of year, several starters were held out as a precaution, the defense got the better of the offense, and Spurrier was disgusted with the quarterback play. Our fanbase is now melting down and convinced we're going 4-8.

It was a typical preseason scrimmage, in other words.

Some Baylor circles were freaking out and convinced that Seth Russell would be the worst QB Briles' Baylor has ever seen after a slow day last week. I expect they've switched to freaking out about the defense now.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/632606690861449216 posted:

Tom Herman on scrimmage: "Our 2s and 3s receivers stink. They don't belong right now in Division I college football."

Hope that Ohio State speed option works...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I swear that at any time I could tell you more about Virginia Tech, South Carolina, or Texas Tech football than just about any other team in college football.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

Hope that Ohio State speed option works...

At least our defense is hitting hard! So hard they're bending their facemasks and sending 4 WRs and 1 RB through concussion protocols...

Edit: oh good, so is Trevon Stewart.

Wanvig fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 16, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas had a scrimmage too either today or yesterday. The offensive line is vastly improved and the defense is full of young beasts. I expect this team to compete for a championship next season or the one after that with this ridiculously talented freshman class.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

buddhanc posted:

Texas had a scrimmage too either today or yesterday. The offensive line is vastly improved and the defense is full of young beasts. I expect this team to compete for a championship next season or the one after that with this ridiculously talented freshman class.

'Next season' meaning '15 or '16?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

'16 because the most anyone is expecting this year is to be competitive.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

I swear that at any time I could tell you more about Virginia Tech, South Carolina, or Texas Tech football than just about any other team in college football.

Tell us about Arkansas. Being serious, too. I use this thread to learn as much as I can about other teams around the country and the fact that it's usually presented without the interminable homerism of Rivals or 247 is always a good thing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Woo

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

UNLV practiced at Nellis Air Force Base today and QB Blake Decker has put considerable distance between him and the other QBs on the roster. :)

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, what duckhunt said. The season after this upcoming one. I'm expecting anywhere from 6 to 9 wins this season depending on how things shake out. After this year, Charlie will have 2 or 3 of his recruiting classes in the program and will be able to fully build a team like he did at Louisville.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Spiritus Nox posted:

Baylor had their first closed scrimmage of the fall today. Main takeaways are that Seth Russell absolutely shredded the second string (probably) defense after the first-stringers kept him bottled up a few days ago at the open practice last weekend, starting 9-9 and eventually getting up to 17-21 for 233 yards and 3 TDs. No turnovers, which is good to see after seeing some genuine reason for concern regarding his decision making in the past. Tight Ends and RBs also combined for 6 pass catches, 3 of which and a touchdown went to co-starting TE Tre'von Armstead. That's a lot more checkdowns than Briles offenses are used to running, so an interesting takeaway there. Defensively, a few freshmen look like they might push for early playing time, Taion Sells is really chasing the starting safties, Taylor Young is looking Real Good, and Ryan Reid led the D in pass breakups with 3, which I like.

Congrats on the diploma! :)

Seth Russell sounds like he's going to have one hell of a season. It's going to be very interesting to see him vs Boykin as the season progresses

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Baylor swears this was just a coincidence

Also, Iowa decided that LeShun Daniels will be their starting RB, so expect him to blow out his ACL, LCL and PCL soon.

And buried in a feature on a former Bama coach who defected to Auburn was this gem:

quote:

"I've worked with some guys for 9-10 years and they probably couldn't tell you my children's name[s]," Thompson said. "I worked for coach Malzahn two weeks, my daughters came over for a recruiting weekend. He and his wife Kristi knew everything about them -- where they went to school, what they were studying, everything about them in a weekend."

He demurred when a reporter asked if Saban, his boss for seven years, knew his children's names.

"I'm not going to go there," Thompson said. "I don't talk about other people. I'm a positive guy. Coach Saban did a lot of good for me. He and his wife are tremendous people for me, for my career, and for my family. I'm just telling you a story about coach Malzahn."

It's OK, Nick. You only worked with the guy for seven loving years.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

After the last 7-8 years the NCAA threads have died out a lot. VT, South Carolina, and Alabama are easily the most prominent teams and the rest has become pretty much exclusively SEC chat with the occasional Iowa-Iowa State slapfight, Ohio State :smug:-fest and Big 12/Pac-12 Beat Report from Texas/Oklahoma posters, Spiritus Nox, Tad SG, VDay, the Oregon Bandwagoners, and Manoueverable.

For someone who enjoys hearing about the college football landscape, it's kind of a sad state of affairs :(

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 16, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

There's definitely a divide of posters now that there wasn't when SAS was first formed. The majority of us back then were college-aged or just out(I was 20 when I made this account) and so yea, after over a decade we're all in our early to mid 30s and real life poo poo ends up taking over the rest. Then you've got a lot of other posters here who regged in the last 4-5 years who are college kids and whatnot. There's like an actual age gap now and there never was before really.

It's always been a niche thing anyway. SA's prominence as a place to go for the cynical assholes and trolls of the internet has long since passed and nobody really advertises out the SAS community so you have to basically find SA then find SAS then find the NCAAF or NCAAB stuff. It's still by far the best place to talk college ball and that's why I'm still around here.

It's also still the offseason, GDTs still pile up thousands of posts and in-season chat threads are way more involved.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I would tell you about Tennessee but it has been bad for a while so who cares

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Crotch Bat posted:

Tell us about Arkansas. Being serious, too. I use this thread to learn as much as I can about other teams around the country and the fact that it's usually presented without the interminable homerism of Rivals or 247 is always a good thing.

Arkansas just had its first scrimmage. The sky is falling because our fifth year senior three year starter QB was 10/24 with an INT. There was hope that he would be better this year which was probably never going to happen even with our new OC.

The real story of last year's improvement was the defense. We lost four very productive members of that squad and I suspect that we'll take a step back though they looked really good yesterday. They forced a fumble, two INTs, and got six sacks against the starting offense which returns all but one starter.

It sets up the classic preseason conundrum - is the defense that much better or is the offense worse? I have a hard time believing that our OL full of three year starters who rarely gave up sacks last year suddenly sucks so I'm a bit excited to see how our front 7 does this year. We have to replaced a great DE in Trey Flowers but have 7-8 pretty good options battling it out currently. The DL will probably be at least as good as last year. I'm a bit worried about linebacker as usual but last year was a pleasant surprise so I will keep hoping. A true freshman CB (Ryan Pulley) has had a phenomenal camp and may actually push the veteran starters.

Running back was a concern for me - we have two returning 1000 yard rushers but nothing proven behind them. Our redshirt freshman tore his ACL (again) but may be able to play some this season. An injury plagued fifth year senior is getting a lot of reps (especially on the goal line where he did well as a freshman/sophomore before breaking a total of three legs). That leaves a true freshman who has actually looked great and may end up being the back-up if Williams/Collins goes down.

Part of the problem in the passing game last year was the lack of legitimate receiving threats and a plethora of dropped balls. We have a couple of exciting players in Jojo Robinson (redshirt freshman after injury/discipline problems last year) and Dominique Reed (Juco transfer) so hopefully things will improve a bit.

The kicking and return game is wide open - both sucked last year but this year the highly touted punter and place kickers seem to be doing a good job. Hopefully we can find someone for punt and kickoff return because our numbers (especially on punts) were miserable last year.

In the end, I think we will have more wins if the QB plays better. I think that otherwise we have improved at every position except the front 7 and that will hopefully at least be static. The back-up QB is Bradon Allen's brother (Austin) who is probably better but still not great. We have a redshirt and a true freshman who are probably better than either but who lack two years of experience and probably won't see much time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn's first scrimmage was earlier this week; I don't think any stats were released but Malzahn described it as totally dominated by the defense, more than any of the teams he's coached. No touchdowns, three turnovers.That's about all we know.

I guess that's fine, cause I'm not actually worried about the offense.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arkansas just had its first scrimmage. The sky is falling because our fifth year senior three year starter QB was 10/24 with an INT. There was hope that he would be better this year which was probably never going to happen even with our new OC.

The real story of last year's improvement was the defense. We lost four very productive members of that squad and I suspect that we'll take a step back though they looked really good yesterday. They forced a fumble, two INTs, and got six sacks against the starting offense which returns all but one starter.

It sets up the classic preseason conundrum - is the defense that much better or is the offense worse? I have a hard time believing that our OL full of three year starters who rarely gave up sacks last year suddenly sucks so I'm a bit excited to see how our front 7 does this year. We have to replaced a great DE in Trey Flowers but have 7-8 pretty good options battling it out currently. The DL will probably be at least as good as last year. I'm a bit worried about linebacker as usual but last year was a pleasant surprise so I will keep hoping. A true freshman CB (Ryan Pulley) has had a phenomenal camp and may actually push the veteran starters.

Running back was a concern for me - we have two returning 1000 yard rushers but nothing proven behind them. Our redshirt freshman tore his ACL (again) but may be able to play some this season. An injury plagued fifth year senior is getting a lot of reps (especially on the goal line where he did well as a freshman/sophomore before breaking a total of three legs). That leaves a true freshman who has actually looked great and may end up being the back-up if Williams/Collins goes down.

Part of the problem in the passing game last year was the lack of legitimate receiving threats and a plethora of dropped balls. We have a couple of exciting players in Jojo Robinson (redshirt freshman after injury/discipline problems last year) and Dominique Reed (Juco transfer) so hopefully things will improve a bit.

The kicking and return game is wide open - both sucked last year but this year the highly touted punter and place kickers seem to be doing a good job. Hopefully we can find someone for punt and kickoff return because our numbers (especially on punts) were miserable last year.

In the end, I think we will have more wins if the QB plays better. I think that otherwise we have improved at every position except the front 7 and that will hopefully at least be static. The back-up QB is Bradon Allen's brother (Austin) who is probably better but still not great. We have a redshirt and a true freshman who are probably better than either but who lack two years of experience and probably won't see much time.

Do you guys still have that tight end who shreaded MS State all game long or is he gone?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

facebook jihad posted:

Do you guys still have that tight end who shredded MS State all game long or is he gone?

Hunter Henry is just now a junior so he is back. AJ Derby graduated but we replaced him with the best tight end recruiting class (three four star beasts) in the nation so I expect that to be a strong part of our offense this year. Last year we didn't really have a good receiver but that has changed so if our QB play improves we could be a lot more balanced. We still might line up with four tight ends or something.

A lot of people are hoping Brandon Allen gets replaced because it seems that his two years of experience are the only thing keeping him as the starter and with so many other long-term starters around him it would be nice to have a better QB get some experience before we graduate a large portion of our offense next year. I'm still on the fence about him until I see him play a few games this year but am all for pulling him for one of the other ones if he can't make the plays.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

A lot of people are hoping Brandon Allen gets replaced because it seems that his two years of experience are the only thing keeping him as the starter and with so many other long-term starters around him it would be nice to have a better QB get some experience before we graduate a large portion of our offense next year. I'm still on the fence about him until I see him play a few games this year but am all for pulling him for one of the other ones if he can't make the plays.

We don't need a crazy great QB, just a game manager honestly. A QB won't overthrow the TE on a five yard route is perfect for what we need. If BA comes out playin like he did against LSU, I'm happy for him to keep on, but if the old BA comes back we need to hook him fast so someone else will be ready

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

any average cornerback or safety is better than any baylor safety ever give the freshmen a chance go baylor champ 2016 tmac goat rockets champ too this year, when rockets texans cowboys and baylor all win championships this year i can retire from sportsfandom

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

chaoslord posted:

We don't need a crazy great QB, just a game manager honestly. A QB won't overthrow the TE on a five yard route is perfect for what we need. If BA comes out playin like he did against LSU, I'm happy for him to keep on, but if the old BA comes back we need to hook him fast so someone else will be ready

I think that there is always a little bit of an advantage when a team gets a new coach, OC, or DC which can erode over time as the opponents get more film/experience. I can tell you that we will not win with just a running game and need to get the ball to the receivers more than we did last year. The ability to convert a 6 yard third down or to overcome a five yard penalty are critical and I'm just not sure that Brandon Allen is the right guy after yesterday. If there is any pressure or he is hit/slightly injured he becomes an interception/incompletion machine. I'm not sure coaching can change that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

chaoslord posted:

Maybe TTU can force you guys to have to throw the ball and that'll either solidify confidence in the QB or cause him to be benched...

Maybe.

Please?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn's first scrimmage was earlier this week; I don't think any stats were released but Malzahn described it as totally dominated by the defense, more than any of the teams he's coached. No touchdowns, three turnovers.That's about all we know.

I guess that's fine, cause I'm not actually worried about the offense.

How do they do their scrimmage? 1st offense v 1st defense or something weird like 1st O v 2nd D/2nd O v 1st D? I'm kinda scared of your defense this year tbqh. Muschamp was a super poo poo head coach but dear god his defenses are generally terrifying

E: and I kinda have a soft spot for Arkansas and similar teams because they just RUN THE DANG BALL a lot just like we do.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 16, 2015

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
Reminder: gently caress Ohio State

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

How do they do their scrimmage? 1st offense v 1st defense or something weird like 1st O v 2nd D/2nd O v 1st D? I'm kinda scared of your defense this year tbqh. Muschamp was a super poo poo head coach but dear god his defenses are generally terrifying
I think 1v1 but it was closed so could've been whatever the coaches felt like saying really. Also think that was while Duke was out so I expect more offense in the next one. Could be troubling if they can't produce without him on the field though.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Twimp Lingam posted:

Reminder: gently caress Ohio State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

kayakyakr posted:

Maybe TTU can force you guys to have to throw the ball and that'll either solidify confidence in the QB or cause him to be benched...

Maybe.

Please?

I hope we don't throw a single pass against you and just grind you into a pulp with the running game like last year with but maybe it would be nice to have at least one pass at some point.

Someone who was at the scrimmage is now saying that the defensive line and secondary were just dominating and that there was not much that any QB could have done given the number of times he had people in his face. So now we can all just look forward to having a dominant defense rather than worrying about our offense. I suppose I could have too much confidence in our offensive line but I doubt it given how sturdy they were last year.

I am really afraid of Texas A&M and Auburn given their new DCs. It's strange that on one hand Auburn is so highly regarded but A&M is predicted to be on the bottom of the pile. Can't wait until the season starts.

• Locked thread