Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soylentbits posted:

Alice is totally going to win the entire competition and accidentally get Souma and Megumi expelled. Until she just buys all his food with the power of money.

That's not how the competition works.

But yeah, I am completely expecting for Team Alice to somehow be the most profitable stall in Day 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know, based on the pure rage on yugioh's face I expect Soma to come out on Day 5 and his stand area is completely loving wrecked.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, I feel sorry for Kuga. He gets sniped by this random upstart who seemingly has no motive but to leech off of him. I mean, yeah, it works, and all's fair in the free market, but it's pretty much the same thing copycat guy used to do when he was the villain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soma did not stalk Kuga and find out all his personal history in order to copy him though. Also used a non-chinese cooking style for a lot of his dishes, which was pretty different than the complete near one-to-one copying Copy-man did.

Also at the end of the day it was 4 of the 1st years top 9 + 2 other cooks who were almost at that level against the 9th (I think?) ranked dude of the 10 by himself. Poor Kuga didn't stand a chance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not the copying part, but the part that comes after: changing it in such a way that it can only look better by comparison. Soma created a stall that was only successful because it was designed to poach customers who were standing in line for another stall. He was a parasite leeching off of Kuga's reputation, and more to the point directly stealing his customers. Soma could easily have created a successful stall somewhere else, but would he have stolen the spot of first place? I doubt it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm kinda confused why you even continue to read this manga Clarste. You seem to pretty thoroughly detest everything about the protagonist and everything he does. At least that's the impression I get.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Clarste posted:

Not the copying part, but the part that comes after: changing it in such a way that it can only look better by comparison. Soma created a stall that was only successful because it was designed to poach customers who were standing in line for another stall. He was a parasite leeching off of Kuga's reputation, and more to the point directly stealing his customers. Soma could easily have created a successful stall somewhere else, but would he have stolen the spot of first place? I doubt it.

"It's not about the money. It's about sending a message."

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
bad chapter but alice winning the whole thing will make it all worthwhile

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I'm kinda confused why you even continue to read this manga Clarste. You seem to pretty thoroughly detest everything about the protagonist and everything he does. At least that's the impression I get.

No, I enjoy it. These aren't complaints. I like Soma and everyone else in this comic because they're all amusingly arrogant and come up with cool foods. I love everyone in this series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

It's pretty different from Subaru's whole deal from my perspective. His plan does revolve around making dishes that directly compete with Kuga's own and provide things he doesn't but Subaru's problem wasn't that he made dishes similar to his opponents. It wasn't even just that he was an rear end in a top hat who stole people's knives and stalked them, it's that he had no originality. He would only make an exact copy with a single extra addition on top, unlike Soma who is combating Kuga's Chinese cooking by implementing different styles of cooking in there like Vietnamese or Japanese influences (I think those were the two he mentioned) in his own Chinese dishes.

Not that he's not being an rear end in a top hat. Soma's entire plan is basically just trying to one-up Kuga in order to goad him into a match, and he's completely okay with playing dirty in order to do so. I just don't think it's really all that similar to Subaru's whole King of Stalkers shtick.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I want to see a crossover with Fate/Stay Night. Battle of the cooking harems.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tarezax posted:

I want to see a crossover with Fate/Stay Night. Battle of the cooking harems.

So as I fry, Unlimited Cooking Works!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I am ze bone of my filet

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unknown to well-done, nor known to tartare.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It wasn't even just that he was an rear end in a top hat who stole people's knives and stalked them, it's that he had no originality. He would only make an exact copy with a single extra addition on top, unlike Soma who is combating Kuga's Chinese cooking by implementing different styles of cooking in there like Vietnamese or Japanese influences (I think those were the two he mentioned) in his own Chinese dishes.

Especially this. Am I reading into things too much that this storyline was meant for Soma to demonstrate his growth from the election competitions? It was gelatinized curry stock and seemed to do the vapor thing with the curry omurice against Hayama.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 10, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Soma did not stalk Kuga and find out all his personal history in order to copy him though. Also used a non-chinese cooking style for a lot of his dishes, which was pretty different than the complete near one-to-one copying Copy-man did.

Also at the end of the day it was 4 of the 1st years top 9 + 2 other cooks who were almost at that level against the 9th (I think?) ranked dude of the 10 by himself. Poor Kuga didn't stand a chance.

Meh they weren't really doing anything other than cooking what Soma told them so he could keep up with the line. He could have hired some temps to do the same thing, really. I'd consider it to be Soma's actual win for that day at least.

Clarste posted:

To be honest, I feel sorry for Kuga. He gets sniped by this random upstart who seemingly has no motive but to leech off of him. I mean, yeah, it works, and all's fair in the free market, but it's pretty much the same thing copycat guy used to do when he was the villain.

Why? He's a poo poo talker to begin with and trying to randomly one-up the Elite 10 members is actively encouraged at Totsuki (at least among the Election Finalists). Erina is basically the only person who gets pissed off at Soma for challenging everyone, and she only does that because a) tsundere and b) she doesn't think he can win (even though he wins a disproportionate amount of the time).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 10, 2015

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
So, I forgot to get pictures yesterday of the Karaage that I made. To be honest, I ended up double frying most of the batches and they didn't exactly look the best, since they really weren't golden brown anymore, but more really dark brown.

I added chili oil and cayenne pepper to the marinade, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference. Might need to add some more next time or marinate for longer (I only marinated for about an hour or so).

Also, canola oil seems to be work better than vegetable oil for frying, because canola has a higher smoke point. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm not a real chef by any means.

Kind of wish I had a deep fryer though...

fake edit: I couldn't find potato starch at my local market, but corn starch seemed to have worked just as well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sonata Mused posted:

fake edit: I couldn't find potato starch at my local market, but corn starch seemed to have worked just as well.

Corn starch and potato starch are quite different if you use large amounts of them mixed with water (different ratios of amylose and amylopectin, resulting in different flow and stickiness, I'll see if I can dig out the exact data). For most culinary purposes, where you use small quantities, there's effectively no difference between the two.

e. found the exact data!

Long story short, starch is made up of glucose, joined together to form a chain. Amylose is a linear chain, amylopectin is branched. This means that it's easier for amylopectin molecules to bind to each other, so the more amylopectin a starch has, the "stickier" it is.

Potato starch has more amylopectin than corn starch:

Even if the variation seems small, it makes for a huge difference in thickening properties:

And flow properties:

(Sorry for tiny image, it was the best one I had on hand.)

(Other factors come into play such as the dimension and shape of starch granules, but this is a good approximation if you don't have to go into specifics.)

tl;dr: if you want to thicken a soup use potato starch, otherwise it makes no difference.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 10, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mikl posted:

Corn starch and potato starch are quite different if you use large amounts of them mixed with water (different ratios of amylose and amylopectin, resulting in different flow and stickiness, I'll see if I can dig out the exact data). For most culinary purposes, where you use small quantities, there's effectively no difference between the two.

Having used both potato and corn starch I can say it makes a pretty big difference for karaage. It's pretty much exactly like the difference in texture between a potato chip and a tortilla chip with the potato starch making for a finer crust that crumbles more easily and the corn starch making something more like a hard, crunchy shell.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

It kind of goes both ways; while he was able to benefit from Kuga's line, he was also greatly hurt by everyone who came near his stall choosing to go to Kuga instead. If anything, I'd say that the cons definitely outweight the potential pros of being able to leech off Kuga's line. I mean, the entire festival pretty much has a guaranteed huge number of customers to begin with, so he would always be "leeching" off of the customers of other nearby stalls in a sense.

To put it another way, him having to leech in the first place is a direct result of all the customers going to Kuga. Most of those customers would still be at the festival regardless. What you're saying would make sense in a situation where the customers weren't virtually guaranteed to begin with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikl posted:

e. found the exact data!

Long story short, starch is made up of glucose, joined together to form a chain. Amylose is a linear chain, amylopectin is branched. This means that it's easier for amylopectin molecules to bind to each other, so the more amylopectin a starch has, the "stickier" it is.

Potato starch has more amylopectin than corn starch:

Even if the variation seems small, it makes for a huge difference in thickening properties:

And flow properties:

(Sorry for tiny image, it was the best one I had on hand.)

(Other factors come into play such as the dimension and shape of starch granules, but this is a good approximation if you don't have to go into specifics.)

tl;dr: if you want to thicken a soup use potato starch, otherwise it makes no difference.

This is some Alice-level poo poo.

Ytlaya posted:

It kind of goes both ways; while he was able to benefit from Kuga's line, he was also greatly hurt by everyone who came near his stall choosing to go to Kuga instead. If anything, I'd say that the cons definitely outweight the potential pros of being able to leech off Kuga's line. I mean, the entire festival pretty much has a guaranteed huge number of customers to begin with, so he would always be "leeching" off of the customers of other nearby stalls in a sense.

To put it another way, him having to leech in the first place is a direct result of all the customers going to Kuga. Most of those customers would still be at the festival regardless. What you're saying would make sense in a situation where the customers weren't virtually guaranteed to begin with.

Yeah, this was all explained by Soma himself too - there are benefits from setting up in a place that has people already standing there, but most of the time its actually a huge drawback. The only reason it ended up being a net plus for a day is because Soma is an OP Shonen Protaganist.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Nah. Alice level poo poo is where you start taking pure amylose and amylopectin and then custom blending it for specific frying textures

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I guarantee you Heston Blumenthal has done that already and can tell you the exact proportions required.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Plus Kuga's store, despite having world class Chinese cuisine, was also treating customers like complete poo poo, basically walking up to them and saying "Hey, eat faster and get out, we need the table." Word of that would spread and people would be much more willing to try something else rather then wait and then get hurried to eat and leave.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

pentyne posted:

Plus Kuga's store, despite having world class Chinese cuisine, was also treating customers like complete poo poo, basically walking up to them and saying "Hey, eat faster and get out, we need the table."

This stuck out to me the most when I read that chapter. It basically was "Who needs customer service? The food is the only thing that matters!" which was probably going to be the weakness. Even though Kuga didn't do it, it is his responsibility to make sure his workers are not doing things like that either.

That being said Kuga will probably reclaim the top spot the next day, but losing to anyone not in the elite ten even for a day will bring enough shame.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I guarantee you Heston Blumenthal Nathan Myhrvold has done that already and can tell you the exact proportions required.

Modernist Cuisine, Volume 4, p. 19-40.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Odd question, but is the the Autumn Election arc currently going on in the anime the same as the Fall Classic mentioned in the manga? Curious if they're the same tournament translated differently or if they're two separate events. I started reading the manga after the Fall Classic ended I believe so I don't know how far back the anime currently is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Furious Lobster posted:

Modernist Cuisine, Volume 4, p. 19-40.

Wow, don't know how I missed the reply. Have my belated response.

edit: Fixed. :argh: the forum software, it strips out timestamps.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 14, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Odd question, but is the the Autumn Election arc currently going on in the anime the same as the Fall Classic mentioned in the manga? Curious if they're the same tournament translated differently or if they're two separate events. I started reading the manga after the Fall Classic ended I believe so I don't know how far back the anime currently is.

I think Classic is just a bad translation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

They're the same event.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

KoB posted:

I think Classic is just a bad translation.

:( It's in the official WSJ. Weird that they came up with such different wordings. But thanks to both of you, it seemed like too similar a name but googling wasn't giving me any direct answers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

:( It's in the official WSJ. Weird that they came up with such different wordings. But thanks to both of you, it seemed like too similar a name but googling wasn't giving me any direct answers.

Crunchyroll has had some pretty inaccurate translations before so the ones in WSJ are probably the most correct.

Also, did they skip the table-tennis scene? What a failure of an adaption. :colbert:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, did they skip the table-tennis scene? What a failure of an adaption. :colbert:
"Shokugeki No Soma is a cooking manga."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Crunchyroll has had some pretty inaccurate translations before so the ones in WSJ are probably the most correct.

My guess is it'll be a BD extra

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Watching the latest free ep of the anime, reminds me of something. Eizan (9th seat) said he was "going to crush Soma on the best stage possible", yes? Is there enough storyline left in the festival last day for Kuga (8th seat) to reach out to Eizan for help, or is that probably going to be held off until later?

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Bearing in mind the natural progression of shonen manga, and the fact that this isn't even the end of Soma's first year, I'm pretty sure we don't yet know what Eizan considers to be the 'best stage possible'.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Watching the latest free ep of the anime, reminds me of something. Eizan (9th seat) said he was "going to crush Soma on the best stage possible", yes? Is there enough storyline left in the festival last day for Kuga (8th seat) to reach out to Eizan for help, or is that probably going to be held off until later?

This was already implied. Kuga was shown to have been doing something with Tsukasa at the start and Eizan was explicitly mentioned to not be participating (and he already has a grudge against Soma).

Pringleton posted:

Bearing in mind the natural progression of shonen manga, and the fact that this isn't even the end of Soma's first year, I'm pretty sure we don't yet know what Eizan considers to be the 'best stage possible'.

I'm pretty sure he meant the Election since he basically hired copy guy to goad Soma into a match.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Lots of good Alice faces this episode.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure he meant the Election since he basically hired copy guy to goad Soma into a match.

Wait, that was it? How.... anticlimactic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, that was it? How.... anticlimactic.

He can't really take Soma on directly because it would be unbecoming as a second year Elite 10. I'm sure he'll come up with more ideas and schemes to gently caress with him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That being said Kuga will probably reclaim the top spot the next day, but losing to anyone not in the elite ten even for a day will bring enough shame.

It's not about shame or leeching the customers. It's about getting the right to challenge for the Elite 10.

The comment (back in Chapter 119) was: "If there's any kind of cooking you're better at than me, then I'll accept your shokugeki."

Souma just proved he's better. And took it to him in his own domain. Even if Souma gets beaten now, it doesn't matter.

A shokugeki with the Elite 10 is now imminent.