Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

That part of her character is over with by the third book pretty much the instant Ciri calls her "mama" for the first time.

I'm not sure that's how human beings function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a little more gradual than that :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I'm not sure that's how human beings function.

I was being hyperbolic. That was the culmination of a bunch of character development and the clencher for that arc. She had Ciri for about two years.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just how big is this game anyway?

I've been dicking around the the sidequests and I've only just hit level 10 but I've somehow clocked up almost 15 hours already.

Thing is, i've not even touched any of the Witcher contracts or treasure hunts in Velen yet and i've still got about 100 points of interest to go look at as well as a few other side quests i've got to take care of (at my current level).

If i understand correctly Velen is just the first of the 3 big main areas too right? Like after i do all of this, i get to do it all again in 2 new zones?

And this is before the planned DLC?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kin posted:

I've been dicking around the the sidequests and I've only just hit level 10 but I've somehow clocked up almost 15 hours already.

Thing is, i've not even touched any of the Witcher contracts or treasure hunts in Velen yet and i've still got about 100 points of interest to go look at as well as a few other side quests i've got to take care of (at my current level).

If i understand correctly Velen is just the first of the 3 big main areas too right? Like after i do all of this, i get to do it all again in 2 new zones?

Wild Hunt is probably the biggest RPG I've ever played. I have played a lot of loving RPG's.

And that's not just because of its size, but because there's very little padding in its content. Tons of poo poo to do and almost none of it"go ye forth and gather 16 drowner pelts" MMO-type dross.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

I think Velen is the biggest area. Even if the the second area is technically as big as it area-wise, it's half ocean. The third area is much smaller, more like the size of White Orchard. I skipped many points of interest and several major questlines and I know I spent over 200 hours on my first playthrough.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kin posted:

The three main areas are Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige. Novigrad is the big city that's part of the Velen area. Then you've got White Orchard and Kaer Morhen, which are both relatively smaller.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah sorry, I don't differentiate between Velen and Novigrad because you seamlessly travel between them on foot/horse.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Snak posted:

yeah sorry, I don't differentiate between Velen and Novigrad because you seamlessly travel between them on foot/horse.

I can't figure out any other way to get "3 big main areas" though. Really it's just the two, with the others being smaller and more limited in how much there is to do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

I can't figure out any other way to get "3 big main areas" though. Really it's just the two, with the others being smaller and more limited in how much there is to do.

yes, it is really just two. I forgot that Velen and Novigrad were technically separate areas, and thought that someone who hasn't been there might not know that Kaer Morhen is not a big area. Novigrad is really not very big either, but it does have a high concentration of content.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Novigrad is clearly demarcated by the Pontar river, has different art assets, content, tone, and main story from Velen. I'd call it its own area even though the transition between them loads seamlessly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But so is Oxenfurt, which is just in Velen.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oxenfurt isn't in Velen. It's across the Pontar. It's part of the Novigrad area.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah even the land surrounding Novigrad has different music and atmosphere from Velen.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
At the risk of reopening a can of worms it feels pretty obvious that Ciri is totally fanservicey. She sticks her chest out when she walks (I didn't even notice this until it was pointed out to me), she's wearing loving heels, etc. And not just like the heels on normal riding boots, she's got serious heels on. She's designed to be look hot, just like all the other important female characters Geralt interacts with.

The character is supposed to be very pretty, sure. It's just weird for someone who has been on the run for years to look like a supermodel.

And like I said before, it's kind of weird (in a good way, I guess) because in every other RPG the attractive women are there for you to sleep with.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Oh, god the heels discussion again

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri dresses exactly as described in the books. It's an outgrowth of her character development therein. This is how the Rats dressed.

That's all I'm gonna say this time because I'm immensely tired of talking to sex obsessed goons about female character design.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

It's akin to the whole minorities-as-succubi-and-demons thing that blew up a couple of times. It's all well and good saying that the Witcher is based on different mythology and marketed towards a different audience than other games, but at the same time I think that's a pretty feeble handwave for any criticism aimed at the game.

What? Did people suggest that the succubi were supposed to be the black people of Witcher 3? Is that what you mean when you say 'minorities?' CDPR did a good job including a whole range of mythology in the monster selection.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He's referring to the fact that the only brown skinned person in the game is a succubus in Novigrad. This is very problematic etc etc

I've really wasted my day off here.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I hope one of the first things created with the mod tools are shoes for trolls.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The Sharmat posted:

He's referring to the fact that the only brown skinned person in the game is a succubus in Novigrad. This is very problematic etc etc

I've really wasted my day off here.

I found it curious that when you meet her, she's wearing clothes. In a whorehouse. Where she works. The one in Skellige is walking around proper topless.

Also lol @ people whining about no black people in the witcher 3. To think that a cross dressing elf and a gay man made it into the game, but no blacks!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
TW1 was a lot more progressive. A black man was a major character in it. I mean yeah, he did tons of coke and beat prostitutes to death. But representation!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So is there some kind of resource for downloadable save games yet?

I've been completely screwed by my own stupidity and plain bad luck. I played the game for about 50 hours, finishing the Velen and Novigrad main quest lines and most of the sidequests below level 15 or so. Then I went ahead and installed windows 10, forgetting that GoG Client doesn't have cloud saves enabled yet. So I restared the game, replayed up to the end of Novigrad storyline, for about a total of 30 more hours.

Now last night I find that my SSD has died for some reason, and it refuses to be recognized by any PC I plug it in to. I really want to finish the game, but good god I don't have the will to do the same content for the third time in a row. :(

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Also lol @ people whining about no black people in the witcher 3. To think that a cross dressing elf and a gay man made it into the game, but no blacks!

log off

I'm replaying on Death March, and I can't wait for a difficulty mod. Once you hit level 6-8 the game just becomes a cakewalk :/

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Is there any way other than farming a disgusting amount of monsters to hit level 50? I finished the game and I was 3/4 of the way to level 35. I did every point of interest except for the 48 Archgriffin in Skellige and only failed a few side quests.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Attestant posted:

So is there some kind of resource for downloadable save games yet?

I've been completely screwed by my own stupidity and plain bad luck. I played the game for about 50 hours, finishing the Velen and Novigrad main quest lines and most of the sidequests below level 15 or so. Then I went ahead and installed windows 10, forgetting that GoG Client doesn't have cloud saves enabled yet. So I restared the game, replayed up to the end of Novigrad storyline, for about a total of 30 more hours.

Now last night I find that my SSD has died for some reason, and it refuses to be recognized by any PC I plug it in to. I really want to finish the game, but good god I don't have the will to do the same content for the third time in a row. :(

I've done much of Velen and the first couple quests of Novigrad. Unpack the following into Documents/The Witcher 3/gamesaves

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsd8ew96tati6nt/gamesaves.rar?dl=0

No guarantees if it'll work especially since this is steam but I wish you luck in any event.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Iron Rose posted:

I've done much of Velen and the first couple quests of Novigrad. Unpack the following into Documents/The Witcher 3/gamesaves

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsd8ew96tati6nt/gamesaves.rar?dl=0

No guarantees if it'll work especially since this is steam but I wish you luck in any event.

Thanks, I'll give it a go once I get my new SSD set up. Just not having to do large chunks of Velen would be a lifesaver.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Afaik Geralt gets shortchanged twice during the course of this game: Once when killing the foglet near crookback bog and the guy admits he doesn't have any money but can pay you double in a week

The guy does pay you double if you come back in a week though, that's one hell of late-payment rate.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
75 hours, I'm feeling the burnout coming. I just brought the ugly baby to Kaer Morhen, how much main story is left?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You're about 2/3 through the main story. You have 12-15 hours of it left. There are a dozen or so discrete main quests left and most of them branch off into a handful of subquests, e.g. "Help Tom do the thing", "Rescue Dick from the thing" and "Talk to Harry about the thing."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What? Did people suggest that the succubi were supposed to be the black people of Witcher 3? Is that what you mean when you say 'minorities?' CDPR did a good job including a whole range of mythology in the monster selection.

Well, when the only black people of note are soul sucking demons it does tend to send across a fairly certain message - intentionally or not. This all comes back to my thing about the Witcher series getting glossed over on matters other games have been shat on for. I mean remember in DA2 when the supposedly transgender character is the punchline of a pretty vile joke in DLC content? Regardless of the writer later clarifying the character wasn't transgender (just a really deep voiced woman despite the "best of both worlds" thing...), and that the joke was about her being a prostitute, Bioware didn't really have anyone to blame but themselves when there was a blowback.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum and the fact the game handled both a gay man and cross dresser without relying on crude stereotypes just raises the question of why said black people were exotic soul sucking monsters in the first place. :shobon:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I have beaten every Gwent opponent and gotten every card.

I feel as unto Alexander, as he wept, seeing no lands left to conquer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

limp_cheese posted:

Is there any way other than farming a disgusting amount of monsters to hit level 50? I finished the game and I was 3/4 of the way to level 35. I did every point of interest except for the 48 Archgriffin in Skellige and only failed a few side quests.

You're not supposed to grind up to level ~48 for that Archgriffin. Just fight it at level 34 like everyone else.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

poptart_fairy posted:

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum and the fact the game handled both a gay man and cross dresser without relying on crude stereotypes just raises the question of why said black people were exotic soul sucking monsters in the first place. :shobon:

Was like the only other succubus even black? I forget what she looked like but I wanna say not, barely remember. Either way there's obviously regular old black people in the Witcher world and in the games, succubi aren't the only things with dark skin.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
The other succubus was white.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wanna hear a Limerick?
Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just finished the cheese thing (I hope this is clear enough and there aren't any other cheese things in the game. I really hope there aren't). There is a cave mark on my map, right on top of the house, that I cannot find the entrance of. Any ideas of what I'm talking about, and how to get there?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

There'll be more cheese things than you could've ever imagined, just you wait.

But really, I'd assume maybe the cave icon is just in reference to the teleport?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GhostDog posted:

Wanna hear a Limerick?
Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

Not bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

webmeister posted:

Was this ever discussed, because I'm pretty sure I never remember it! I'd only spoken to Emhyr twice prior, once after the prologue and again after resolving In Ciri's Footsteps; so it's possible that I missed it completely, but it sounded like the kind of thing I'd remember!

When Geralt first meets with Emhyr and they discuss the reappearance of Ciri, Emhyr answers "She'll be getting what she deserves" when Geralt asks him what will happen if he actually finds her.

It sounds more menacing than it probably was intended (bad voice direction maybe?), but in hindisght it appears Emhyr is hinting she will follow him on the throne.

Snak posted:

It's funny how I can sympathize so much with Iorveth in W2 and hate elves so much in W3.

What's not to like?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 16, 2015