Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Finnish twitter guy just posted some stats about the final climb of the 16th stage of the Vuelta: "Alto Ermita de Alba (6.65 km, 11.22 %, 746 m, max 30 %)" and also a video of someone going up there and getting stuck behind some horses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRP-IxqjP8

Kind of ridiculous honestly, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Tbh that unpaved road looked perfectly fine to go further on a road bike. :colbert:

I hate those climbs where they stick a sign saying on the side of the road telling you the avg. gradient over the next km, say it says 11% but your Garmin is only reporting a 6% gradient currently, well you know that thing has to average out eventually.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pocket posted:

Tbh that unpaved road looked perfectly fine to go further on a road bike. :colbert:

I hate those climbs where they stick a sign saying on the side of the road telling you the avg. gradient over the next km, say it says 11% but your Garmin is only reporting a 6% gradient currently, well you know that thing has to average out eventually.

On a bike trip i worked on i lied and told people that was the max gradient for the section :nyoron:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I think we'd get on well together.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

On a bike trip i worked on i lied and told people that was the max gradient for the section :nyoron:

I'm hoping you did that to minimize their suffering. Did you tell them the truth afterwards?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lotto Soudal train fell apart today.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Tom Boonen did a thing

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Withnail posted:

Tom Boonen did a thing

A line?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Luca didn't snort alone :ssh:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
FDJ have booted Boucher from the Eneco tour because he refused to support Demare and instead got into the breakaway against team orders.

I'd like to imagine its because Boucher thinks Demare is a twat.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
See that a lot at these end of season races, riders who are out of contract just do whatever to try to get themselves UCI points so they can get a contract somewhere.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
for all you Froome fans

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

drat he looked way hot out of that other corner and had no line for their hairpin, too fast, and then locked up his wheel/hit something

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I spent far too long looking at that.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptF0-tr-oQ todays stage

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Gibbo posted:

A line?

I thought he got busted for ecstasy

Pocket posted:

Luca didn't snort alone :ssh:

I suspect Pozatto live on a steady diet of cocaine and prosecco

Withnail fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 13, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Withnail posted:

I thought he got busted for ecstasy

I suspect Pozatto live on a steady diet of cocaine and prosecco

Well, You can snort MDMA if you really want, but I thought it was Coke, E and Weed? Just general party drugs.

Quick google says it was just coke.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/5303509/Tom-Boonen-admits-drink-and-drug-problem-after-testing-for-cocaine.html

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Some things never change. Poulidor
almost getting killed on the Puy de Dome in '64.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

My friend / former teammate got picked up by a domestic team to guest ride the pro challenge with them! Super stoked for him and excited that I've got a reason to bother watching bike racing again.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Let's hope the TV coverage isn't all jacked up like it usually is.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah, I'll be lucky to see a blurry race number and maybe a half second of him nestled in the back of the group. But still, ~real pro bike racing~. It's right there in the name of the race.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Today's Eneco tour was a beautifully entertaining race. Greipel putting it all out on the line in attempt to catch the break was fantastic. And the downpour of epic proportions didn't hurt.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Iron Beagle posted:

Today's Eneco tour was a beautifully entertaining race. Greipel putting it all out on the line in attempt to catch the break was fantastic. And the downpour of epic proportions didn't hurt.

Thanks for mentioning this, I went back and watched it and it was great

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

New Secret Pro is out on Cycling Tips FYI.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Here's the link if anyone wants it http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/the-secret-pro-post-tour-crits-worlds-and-the-farce-that-is-the-iaaf/

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm increasingly sceptical there's actually a pro writing that column tbh. Apart from maybe the thing about Cannondale-Garmin not inviting someone to their post-Tour dinner it's all just a bunch of rehashed rumours we've already heard and maybe some more bluntly expressed opinions than you'd get in a normal column.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

peanut- posted:

I'm increasingly sceptical there's actually a pro writing that column tbh. Apart from maybe the thing about Cannondale-Garmin not inviting someone to their post-Tour dinner it's all just a bunch of rehashed rumours we've already heard and maybe some more bluntly expressed opinions than you'd get in a normal column.

Yeah its pretty dumb

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Froome has begun the physiological testing he promised earlier.

If only this had been done before 2011.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

King Hong Kong posted:

Froome has begun the physiological testing he promised earlier.

If only this had been done before 2011.

It won't settle anything. Unless it proves he had a motor he'll put a freakishly large number for v02 max which some people will say is a sign he's doping and other a sign of how hard he works. What would be nice and perhaps would answer his critics is some of his power data over a long period of time including pre-11 to show his progression

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It won't settle anything. Unless it proves he had a motor he'll put a freakishly large number for v02 max which some people will say is a sign he's doping and other a sign of how hard he works. What would be nice and perhaps would answer his critics is some of his power data over a long period of time including pre-11 to show his progression

A part of me wants Sky to have actually developed a working cyborg program.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Taylor Phinney won today.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Just watched the last 13k, Rohan Dennis and some Canadian (Boivin?) were in a break and it was fun watching Dennis slowly asphyxiate the poor guy. Dude actually hung in there but drat that had to hurt.

They got caught right near the end and Phinney blew everyone away in a totally unorganized sprint.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Paddyb posted:

Taylor Phinney won today.

This guy is the best, glad he's bouncing back from that crash https://vine.co/v/MQZJIZb1W6P

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, that last 5k was quite the cripple fight.

Think this speaks well to Phinny's classic chances.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I can't help but wonder how many future steroids and stuff they pumped into his leg to heal it to a workable level. Actually I'd love to see a writeup on everything that went in to making him work again, from the surgeries to physio to "support meds".

I'm a big Phinney fan and glad he's coming back actually functional and not just as a bottle carrier.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Not that I honestly care, but my gut feeling is that he's a bit of a straight edge. Or at least, he was in the past.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

dema posted:

Not that I honestly care, but my gut feeling is that he's a bit of a straight edge. Or at least, he was in the past.

I don't mean that as a "He's going to have to dope to keep up". Reconstructive surgery of that level is bound to be accompanied by at least some minor corticos or something. I am just interested in what it took to get someone back to that level after that severe of a wreck. I'm pretty sure anything they might have used falls under fair use medical exemption at that point too.

More succinctly: I want to see it from a medical standpoint not a doping control standpoint.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That said, his leg looks perfectly normal now when compared to Peter Stetina's.

JESUS CHRIST>

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Have I mentioned that he came to my birthday party??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Yet you didn't invite any of us?