Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

let's talk about how man of steel is the greatest achievement in cinema history instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Can we cut down on the anime chat in the internet critic thread? I mean, I can understand minor derails when critic X or Y releases a video about anime but this is getting ridculous.

Good thing nobody on that page was talking about anime then!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rebochan posted:

I watched a little of Dino Charge, it didn't seem horrible but neither of its predecessors started off completely awful either. Though the American version's mentor is an ugly little thing. I'm not surprised Saban skipped Go-Busters to do a new dinosaur show, and I fully expect the completely bonkers ToQer (aka Power Traingers) will get skipped in favor of Nininger since that's another ninja show. Though I'm going to wonder how they're going to handle StarNinger, Japan's idea of what an "American" Power Ranger would be.

Hopefully they just go the whole "foreigner who thinks that this is what America is like" thing

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I apologise. For "anime" please read "children's cartoons made in USA/Japan/S. Korea".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Can we cut down on the anime chat in the internet critic thread? I mean, I can understand minor derails when critic X or Y releases a video about anime but this is getting ridculous. If you want to chat about anime reviews in detail then start start your own thread in ADTRW or even a different thread in RGD. Read the OP:

"If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie."

I know there is also a rule in the OP on not posting about posting but RGD modding is fairly light - and rightly so - so sometimes it takes a poster itt to refer to Jsor's OP. I don't think it's backseat modding to suggest posters at least try to follow Jsor's reasonable and clear OP.

I apologise. For "anime" please read "children's cartoons made in USA/Japan/S. Korea".

:laffo:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, I sometimes thing that Linkara is hurting HOPR by absolutely refusing to stalk about the Super Sentai. It's fine if you don't care about it like he often says and I don't think it needs to to be as detailed as his Power Rangers analyses, but if you start with the thesis that a lot of the problems of Samurai were the result of a direct translation of the Japanese plot, it might be pretty useful to actually talk about the Japanese plot.

Wat Rebochan just posted was pretty interesting and actually explained a lot of things with the series, how and why they were done in the Japanese original and why they might not work when adapting them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wrong again actually, South Korea should be New Zealand.

e X posted:

You know, I sometimes thing that Linkara is hurting HOPR by absolutely refusing to stalk about the Super Sentai. It's fine if you don't care about it like he often says and I don't think it needs to to be as detailed as his Power Rangers analyses, but if you start with the thesis that a lot of the problems of Samurai were the result of a direct translation of the Japanese plot, it might be pretty useful to actually talk about the Japanese plot.

I can buy that he just doesn't care about watching the Sentai. The bad writing caused by just translating the scripts to English is still bad writing regardless of the exact reason and can be criticized without going into details about how it works in Japanese culture or how the adaption changed things so the original plot doesn't work even though they're doing it anyway. What bugs me is when he talks about aspects of the show that are completely unavoidable due to being an adaption and acts like they're things the people creating Power Rangers came up with themselves, like costume or zord design(at least, most were from the Sentai, with a few additions and subtractions here and there, but that's rare).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Arcsquad12 posted:

During one of Extra Credits' Extra History series, they plugged another youtube channel and I couldn't be happier that they did.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

The Great War is a channel dedicated to discussing important people, dates and events surrounding the First World War and it is pretty drat fascinating. The guy has a pretty good set to work with as well, and everything seems well documented and very well presented. I know it's not gaming related or even pop culture related, but I thought it would be neat to share.

This is really good, thank you.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Still doesn't apply to the topic but it was a good attempt. :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

e X posted:

Wat Rebochan just posted was pretty interesting and actually explained a lot of things with the series, how and why they were done in the Japanese original and why they might not work when adapting them.

That's a dangerous path to fall into, because half the problem of watching Shinkenger is that it's another 40+ episodes to watch (except he has to pay attention even closer because it's not in english) and the other half is that the whole series is badly translated by the most popular source. There's another group that is subbing it, but they haven't done all the episodes.

Otherwise for the most part, not talking about the Sentai isn't a big deal because if the writing is so fundamentally clear that it just copy+pasted, he can be unbiased say that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Can we cut down on the anime chat in the internet critic thread? I mean, I can understand minor derails when critic X or Y releases a video about anime but this is getting ridculous. If you want to chat about anime reviews in detail then start start your own thread in ADTRW or even a different thread in RGD. Read the OP:

"If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie."

I know there is also a rule in the OP on not posting about posting but RGD modding is fairly light - and rightly so - so sometimes it takes a poster itt to refer to Jsor's OP. I don't think it's backseat modding to suggest posters at least try to follow Jsor's reasonable and clear OP.

I understand your frustration if it doesn't interest you, but that discussion had been going on a quarter page at most. That rule is mostly to stop 5 page heated derails from taking over the thread for and drowning out all other discussion. A page or two isn't the end of the world, even with some effortposts, unless it gets into dumbutton topics like Goober Golf (thanks for that one, JO), and that's mostly because those topics almost always turn into terrible derails that consume all else. HOPR is gonna invite some Power Rangers discussion, and I think that's to be expected, especially since the things only come out like once every 4 months anyway. The point of this thread is to discuss the reviews and the topics that come up in the reviews, not be a glorified RSS feed.

(E: Also, just btw, the reason people are giving you blowback is because Power Rangers/Super Sentai is a live action show)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 16, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The difficulty with talking about japanese entertainment is that they are even more franchise driven than the usa, which is an accomplishment. So a discussion of ne show invariably leads to another show. I don't mind the discussion honestly, but I understand how a load of info on shows you know nothing about could frustrate a person.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I, too, was annoyed that the thread was at the current time focused on Power Rangers, a topic I see as so bereft of anything of value that I almost feel myself becoming dumber for having been aquainted with it. However, I stoically remembered the words of Heraclitus: "Panta chōrei kai ouden menei kai dis es ton auton potamon ouk an embaies" - "Everything changes and nothing remains still ... and ... you cannot step twice into the same stream." I encourage you to console yourself with this philosophy.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

let's talk about how man of steel is the greatest achievement in cinema history instead

when superman punched zod into a building really hard, it was actually a metaphor for superman wanting to punch zod really, really hard. it's really deep when you think about it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Do not even ask posted:

Or how Marvel is the devil that is killing cinema

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As long as we all accept and agree that The Phantom Menace is a bad film, but you shouldn't criticise for being a bad film because it's totally supposed to be a bad film.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Has Todd announced what he's doing with the Blip shutdown? I just remembered he's the only critic I follow who hasn't switched to youtube iirc

And probably can't because music companies and copywright

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Dear Mrs. Wallace.

I understand that you're not opposed to accepting suggestions via http://forums.somethingawful.com. In which case I would like to present the following proposition given the varied interests you have supplied via the something awful forums and your own internet review show, not to mention that this film may peak the interest of many who view this thread. I believe this film deserves the kind of reverence that films like The Rocketeer seem to get. Allow me to pitch my sale:

Do you like Quantumn Leaping? Do you like Peter Cushing? Do you like Indina Jones style adventures? Do you like Americanised versions of other cultures artefacts mutilated to serve a US-centric audience? Do you like amazing helicopter stunts? Do you like the idea of cross-dressing as a nun and massacring WW1 Germans? Do you like ludicrously 80's theme songs composed by Jon Anderson?

Then why the gently caress have you not heard of Biggles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbNQOxaJZM

Biggles is a pulp-youth-adventure series of books from the 1930's (specifically an origional story called 'The White Fokker'. :hurr:) and he's basically a fictionalised version of the Red Baron, only British. If you've ever seen a Blackadder Goes Forth episode - Flashheart is basically Biggles. He's our version of Indiana Jones/Doc Savage/Whatever. He's Dan Dare/Flash Gordon in Biplane pilot form. And he has a film. From the 80's.

In the early 80's someone decided it was high time he was immortalised in cinematic form. But - how to sell a British Aristocracy WW1 hero to a US audience? Well, let's have the film focused on an 80's American Advertising Consultant? PERFECT!

I'm honestly astounded that this film hasn't been picked up by one of you internet-reviewer types already!

So anyway - part of this post is hoping that you, or any other internet critic type will become aware of this lost gem of a film, and part of it (most of it) is just sharing what I honestly believe is a lost gem of pure 80's trash action cinema to as many people as possible.

This is the same style of film and thought that brought us Howard the Duck. It's by no means a good film, but gently caress me if it isn't a load of fun, and I'm sad that this has gotten lost. I mean - just listen to this theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLrgbMyT4E

LISTEN TO IT!

Anyway. There's my pitch. I hope more people will have the opportunity to watch this film now!

e: take a shot of your favorite spirit every time I wrote 'Lost gem' in this post. It'll put you in the right mindset for watching the film.

Watch this film. It really, really is worth it.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 16, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tae posted:

That's a dangerous path to fall into, because half the problem of watching Shinkenger is that it's another 40+ episodes to watch (except he has to pay attention even closer because it's not in english) and the other half is that the whole series is badly translated by the most popular source. There's another group that is subbing it, but they haven't done all the episodes.

I remember getting bitched out by one of the TV-Nihon translators in their IRC channel because they recognized my username from another forum where I pointed their lousy translation skills. Their scripts are "Keikaku" levels of awful.

quote:

Otherwise for the most part, not talking about the Sentai isn't a big deal because if the writing is so fundamentally clear that it just copy+pasted, he can be unbiased say that.

Frankly, I agree with his perspective - a Super Sentai series is generally 50 episodes long, give or take one at the end. Power Rangers seasons are around 32-45 depending on how good their budget and network was to them at the time. He would have to watch a lot of extra material, a ton of which is completely irrelevant to talking about the average season of Power Rangers.

Honestly, Shinkenger is only important to bring up for Samurai because Samurai was such a bad copy-paste job that its relevant to show how many more mistakes and plot holes are in the Americanized version. And to Linkara's credit, he brought up the points that mattered most when he could, so he'd clearly done some research even if he hadn't actually sat down and watched it through. Given that all four parts of the latest HOPR comprise almost two hours of content just to discuss the English version, I can't imagine how much longer it would get if all the stuff from my effortpost was in there too.

The only time Linkara's attitude about the Sentai bothered me was alllll the way back in his Turbo review, when he suggested in comments on Channel Awesome that they could have simply chosen to adapt a different Sentai. That wasn't an option at the time - the nature of the production schedule in that time period (and probably things like toy licensing) required they use the most recent material, and they would have had to throw out a lot of work from pre-production if they had tried to do something besides Carranger once it became apparent that the stock footage was going to be VERY silly. On top of that... they'd already adapted almost five years of material, and would have had to adapt some realllllll old shows at the time. Basically, he knocked on Turbo for something they couldn't control at all. And in my opinion, RPM alone shows that better writing for Turbo could have still made a good Power Rangers show out of the self-parody that was Carranger.

But Linkara choosing to criticize things like Zord designs or suits are still rational in my opinion. The visual elements may not be something the New Zealand team can control, but they're still the first thing anyone will ever see, so its fine to have an opinion on them and how they work with the Power Rangers footage.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Speaking of Todd, new Cinemadonna for however long Blip is still online:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-dangerous-game-7207920

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

KayTee posted:

I REALLY LOVE BIGGLES

Aha! Before my obsession with Quantum Leap, my obsession was She-Wolf of London, starring Neil Dickson, who plays Biggles in the film. So! I've seen it.

The thing is totally misguided, focuses on "time twins"(???) and an American TV dinner ad guy, but then also features sad war time segments, and I love Neil Dickson, especially the bit when he time travels to the present, but....The movie was kind of boring, honestly. It might've just been the time I tried to watch it, but I wanted it to be more fun than it was. I enjoyed the teaser at the end, because that seemed like more of the adventure I thought this movie would be. Maybe in the future I can take a second look, but overall I didn't find it that great. I agree the theme is fantastic though!

BUT Diamanda Hagan reviewed the movie, and she's more familiar with Biggles anyway: https://blip.tv/diamanda-hagan-lecher-bitch/diamanda-hagan-review-02-08-biggles-adventures-in-time-review-sd-4976172

(Blip may or may not be working, but I couldn't find a different upload)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I had the Ninja Megazord when I was a kid.

I remember it being pretty lovely because the arms were actually shorter than the "chest", the bear's head, so it could never punch anything, just bellyslam.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wheat Loaf posted:

As long as we all accept and agree that The Phantom Menace is a bad film, but you shouldn't criticise for being a bad film because it's totally supposed to be a bad film.

We could just coo over how Fury Road is the greatest film of all time again.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Has Todd announced what he's doing with the Blip shutdown? I just remembered he's the only critic I follow who hasn't switched to youtube iirc

And probably can't because music companies and copywright

Pretty sure Todd tweeted that he's still signed with Maker Studios, so they'll be hosting his videos on their private hosting service.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jsor posted:

We could just coo over how Fury Road is the greatest film of all time again.

Let's talk about how bullshit it is that the black and white version of the film isn't being put on the Blu-Ray disc, most likely so the distribution company can do some double dipping with a super deluxe edition.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Let's talk about how bullshit it is that the black and white version of the film isn't being put on the Blu-Ray disc, most likely so the distribution company can do some double dipping with a super deluxe edition.
Given that Warner did the same thing with the music-less version of "Gravity" that's probably right.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait I hadn't heard about this, do I have to buy the multi-format?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I really want Todd to do Your Woman by White Town.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Celery Face posted:

I really want Todd to do Your Woman

How rude.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm sure he'd take her out to dinner first.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be quite keen if his next (or a future) OHW episode was about something from the 1960s. I don't think he's done one of those since he did "The Monster Mash".

Something like "96 Tears" or "Wooly Bully" or "Louie Louie" or "In the Year 2525" seems like it could be interesting.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Rebochan posted:

Nah, Power Rangers had...tight plotting, and engaging characters.

lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd be quite keen if his next (or a future) OHW episode was about something from the 1960s. I don't think he's done one of those since he did "The Monster Mash".

Something like "96 Tears" or "Wooly Bully" or "Louie Louie" or "In the Year 2525" seems like it could be interesting.

In The Year 2525 would be great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Do Yo Love Me (Now That I Can Dance)" would also be pretty cool.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Do Yo Love Me (Now That I Can Dance)" would also be pretty cool.

Oh man, I had a Chipmunks cassette tape with that on it that was great when I was a kid.

(I... uh... really liked The Chipmunks when I was a child)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jsor posted:

Oh man, I had a Chipmunks cassette tape with that on it that was great when I was a kid.

(I... uh... really liked The Chipmunks when I was a child)

A lot of kids did. It was like the original Kidz Bop. Kid-friendly covers of pop songs by singers with high voices. Except in it's done by speeding up the tape, instead of hiring young singers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope someone doesn't use Patreon to ask Todd to do Kidz Bop.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I hope someone doesn't use Patreon to ask Todd to do Kidz Bop.

This but the literal opposite.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think it'd be boring. Kidz Bop is so obviously terrible, what's the point? He might as well review getting stabbed in the ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I'd like to see it more like a OHW where he talks about the phenomenon of Kidz Bop and not reviewing a specific song.

• Locked thread