Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Ty 4 game they have up there is apparently new and has been up on the windows store for a while. So uh buy it now if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ty 1 is generic but not horrible. Very stereotypically Australian in ways you wouldn't believe. I hope those fuckers fix the camera controls though because everything is inverted in the third-person view.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

This is how pachinko works:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Coming to steam for some reason

Hell yes. Nostalgia factor don't fail me now.

also re: hunieville

FirstAidKite posted:

They should stop [...] developing a [...] game,

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna know when psi ops is gonna come back and get released on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQk3ig-i_s

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

This is how videogames work:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ekster posted:

This is how pachinko works:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have just begun playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, and this game is amazingly loving dumb. This feels like a parody and it's basically tailor-made for me.

You are Gabriel "Dracula" Belmont. It's the middle ages. The order of monster-hunters you once belonged to is trying to bust down Castlevania with a Jesus-powered golem. After you proceed to fill a wine goblet with the blood of random knights, you walk onto the balcony and begin scaling the drat thing in a rage, while some jerkoff in golden winged armor is firing flaming arrows at you the whole time.

You make your way to the top and it's powered by a crystal full of pure God essence. Since you can't touch it or anything, you decide the best way to solve this problem is vomiting a torrent of blood onto it to unholy the thing. Finally, you take out the jackass with the wings and he pulls out a really nice cross and starts chanting in Latin. Gabriel goes "Yeah, no, I had your job once. Let me show you." Grabs the cross, begins mirroring the chant... and it turns out God likes Dracula more than the winged dick, blasting the entire castle with a Christ-laser and scorching the earth clean of everyone save Dracula. And Alucard, who was, this is revealed in a cutscene, buried in the walls of the castle for some loving reason.

Castlevania 1 happens off screen, Simon Belmont punks Dracula.

You then proceed to wake up over a millennium later in, and I am not making this up, Castlevania City, a motherfucking MAJOR METROPOLITAN AREA IN EUROPE BUILT ON THE RUBBLE OF GOD NUKING DRACULA'S CASTLE. Then Patrick Stewart, as Death, goes "Look, rear end in a top hat, we hate one another, but Satan is trying to come to earth, and if he arrives, we are both going to be his bitch-boys. Let's say we take care of that." I'm in love with this game already.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I have just begun playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, and this game is amazingly loving dumb. This feels like a parody and it's basically tailor-made for me.

You are Gabriel "Dracula" Belmont. It's the middle ages. The order of monster-hunters you once belonged to is trying to bust down Castlevania with a Jesus-powered golem. After you proceed to fill a wine goblet with the blood of random knights, you walk onto the balcony and begin scaling the drat thing in a rage, while some jerkoff in golden winged armor is firing flaming arrows at you the whole time.

You make your way to the top and it's powered by a crystal full of pure God essence. Since you can't touch it or anything, you decide the best way to solve this problem is vomiting a torrent of blood onto it to unholy the thing. Finally, you take out the jackass with the wings and he pulls out a really nice cross and starts chanting in Latin. Gabriel goes "Yeah, no, I had your job once. Let me show you." Grabs the cross, begins mirroring the chant... and it turns out God likes Dracula more than the winged dick, blasting the entire castle with a Christ-laser and scorching the earth clean of everyone save Dracula. And Alucard, who was, this is revealed in a cutscene, buried in the walls of the castle for some loving reason.

You then proceed to wake up over a millennium later in, and I am not making this up, Castlevania City, a motherfucking MAJOR METROPOLITAN AREA IN EUROPE BUILT ON THE RUBBLE OF GOD NUKING DRACULA'S CASTLE. Then Patrick Stewart, as Death, goes "Look, rear end in a top hat, we hate one another, but Satan is trying to come to earth, and if he arrives, we are both going to be his bitch-boys. Let's say we take care of that." I'm in love with this game already.

It's so weird because LOS1 was such an incredibly well regarded game after a series of terrible Castlevania games and despite purists slamming it for being a GoW clone it was loving gorgeous and deep in a way that they hadn't tried in over a decade. Then the sequel just goes batshit insane and squanders all the goodwill the first game built up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanna know when psi ops is gonna come back and get released on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQk3ig-i_s
Didn't it end up as freeware when Midway went bankrupt? Probably too much of a legal mess for Valve to include it.

pentyne posted:

Then the sequel just goes batshit insane and squanders all the goodwill the first game built up.
...I take it you haven't played LoS1 the whole way through? Because the sequel is perfectly in line with how incredibly idiotic that story turns.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 16, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Real shame about the gameplay in no way holding up the coolness that is DRACULA, GOD'S CHOSEN JASON STATHEM.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pentyne posted:

Then the sequel just goes batshit insane and squanders all the goodwill the first game built up.

I literally fell asleep playing LoS1, meanwhile, this has me on the edge of my seat from minute one. I'm so sad this game went over like a fart in church from all accounts.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Jesus Christ, Steam. You still have a huge sale going on for those Japanese games and you make it nearly impossible to even find the page through your storefront.

There's a huge swathe of empty space to the bottom-left. Just put a banner there, tia.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Blattdorf posted:

Jesus Christ, Steam. You still have a huge sale going on for those Japanese games and you make it nearly impossible to even find the page through your storefront.

There's a huge swathe of empty space to the bottom-left. Just put a banner there, tia.

I did see it on the front page earlier but it seems to come and go. Steam can be a bit weird about non-huge sales.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kanfy posted:

I did see it on the front page earlier but it seems to come and go. Steam can be a bit weird about non-huge sales.

My experience with Steam after their storefront update is that it is somehow more of a hassle to even find anything.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Spider Rite of the Shrouded Moon is a really fun unique puzzler that you should play. You play as a spider and eventually a walrus spinning webs of various complexity in detailed 2d environments trying to catch a vast array of insects, butterflies and moths. Not all the insects can be caught in simple webs and require different strategies to catch them all such as catching them in mid air, crafting extra strong webs or a combination of both.

The game has 30 levels which change based on the time of day, the weather at your location and the phase of the moon. Some insects and secrets can only be found at particular times and weather conditions.

The game also a number of optional mysteries to solve as the game is set in a mansion built by a illuminati type secret society that is also currently occupied by a family who appear to have a mystery of their own. And as such there is a meta puzzle where you try to figure what has/is happening in the mansion. All of this story telling is done in the artwork of the environments and it's up to you to draw your own theories as to what is going on.

It's made by some ex LookingGlass devs who previous game was Waking Mars so it has that whole stamp of approval to it as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

It's so weird because LOS1 was such an incredibly well regarded game after a series of terrible Castlevania games and despite purists slamming it for being a GoW clone it was loving gorgeous and deep in a way that they hadn't tried in over a decade. Then the sequel just goes batshit insane and squanders all the goodwill the first game built up.

LoS wasn't really incredibly well regarded. It was considered the best of the 3D Castlevania games but that is pretty faint praise considering. It sold well for a Castlevania game but "well for a Castlevania game" means it is competing primarily with shoestring-budget handheld releases.

Sadly this isn't what happens, though you do find out what happens later on.

Simon Belmont's adventures are chronicled in Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate. It also explains what happens to Trevor.

Trevor dies and is resurrected as Alucard.

I literally fell asleep playing LoS1, meanwhile, this has me on the edge of my seat from minute one. I'm so sad this game went over like a fart in church from all accounts.

Wait until you get a bit further in. The opening is not why people dislike the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 16, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How is Sorcerer King?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
LoS2 is incredibly poorly written and designed. The beginning is basically dumb SotN fan service but also the only redeemable part of the game. The first game, while not especially good, at least knew what it wanted to be.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

But will Konami go full Irem and just stop giving any fucks about publisher contracts expiring and their games vanishing from all services?

I am still a bit sad about Steambot Chronicles 2 getting cancelled and I hope someone buys the rights to it someday.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I am still a bit sad about Steambot Chronicles 2 getting cancelled and I hope someone buys the rights to it someday.
I agree with you there, Steambot Chronicles (and also Dragon's Dogma) are probably the most open world fun I've had on consoles.

Orv
May 4, 2011

victrix posted:

How is Sorcerer King?

It's a bizarre offshoot of Fallen Enchantress that is more about asymmetric strategy than your basic TBS. I haven't put a ton of time into it but I could play a couple games if you'd like a better write up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Steambot Chronicles would rule without the awful mid-level loading screens in the cities and with the ability to use Cheat Engine to keep from having to nurse a half a dozen different fuel and durability meters.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Steambot Chronicles would rule without the awful mid-level loading screens in the cities
Well, it was released on the PS2, after all. I love that console but it really wasn't that suitable for open world games.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

is that the console that had grand theft auto san andreas?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WTF, how does this game NOT own?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This really cool game called Hacknet came out that I recommend everyone who liked Uplink keep an eye on. I'd recommend against buying it right now though because it's way too easy to lose your save from a crash, or do things in a way that prevents flags from triggering, locking you out of progressing forever. Developer is working on it, though.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Well see, they took Castlevania and injected it with a bunch of slightly damaged GOW DNA and bam, they get a pretty good game out of the deal. So why not take a bunch of fermented MGS:Revengence DNA and stick it in there too? I mean MGSR was cool because it was wacky and over the top right?

Castlevania 3 will take the topical humor of Borderlands and inject it into the mix.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wamdoodle posted:

WTF, how does this game NOT own?
The first one was a wet blanket, the bridge game (Mirror of Fate or whatever) was also really bad and was on 3DS for the longest time. I did not hear that many good things about LoS 2 except they ditched the dumb locked camera from the first game.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Wait until you get a bit further in. The opening is not why people dislike the game.

Care to elaborate a bit? Darkseid's post makes me really want to get the game next time there's a decent sale and if the game is really bad I could use some dissuading.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unbalanced posted:

Care to elaborate a bit? Darkseid's post makes me really want to get the game next time there's a decent sale and if the game is really bad I could use some dissuading.

They took all of the good parts of the combat from 1, which admittedly was just a lumpy puree of various GoW mechanics, and sucked out all the good parts. They also take home the indisputable trophy for Worst Stealth Mechanics In A Non-Stealth game by several AU. Finally, every puzzle in 2 is the level of insufferable that the music box stuff was in 1.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Orv posted:

They took all of the good parts of the combat from 1, which admittedly was just a lumpy puree of various GoW mechanics, and sucked out all the good parts. They also take home the indisputable trophy for Worst Stealth Mechanics In A Non-Stealth game by several AU.

You forgot the lovely boss battles (I'm looking at you, Agreus).

Orv
May 4, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

You forgot the lovely boss battles (I'm looking at you, Agreus).

On purpose! :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unbalanced posted:

Once you get past the opening the game gets a lot more boring. They throw in genuinely bad stealth segments, repetitive boring combat, really lovely boss battles, you end up spending most of your time in a 'phantom castle' which is Castlevania so the future setting is underutilized, and there's only one more hilariously excessively over the top time. Which is admittedly Dracula loving surfing a rocket to cross a gap and so is amazing.

Apparently the developers knew they had a lovely game but the head management (of their studio, not Konami) was kind of an rear end in a top hat and so it kinda went to hell.

Edit: Also I don't know about the PC version of the PS3 version was glitchy as gently caress. Flags not triggering, and even a few hardlocks. Honestly, the game isn't even bad in an interesting way (beyond the hilariously bad stealth segments.) It's just boring and dumb.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 16, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Vampires' most deadly weakness is not in fact stakes or religious icons, but space marines with rocket launchers. Who knew?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HGH posted:

Vampires' most deadly weakness is not in fact stakes or religious icons, but space marines with rocket launchers. Who knew?

Hey, it worked in Buffy, ok?

Also, Aria of Sorrow > all.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a shame no Castlevania has gone quite as insane with sitting as The Curse of Darkness did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDGHlqd4nsc

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I know I'm reading what's basically a Greatest Moments clipshow of a Bad Game but it still sounds incredible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

I know I'm reading what's basically a Greatest Moments clipshow of a Bad Game but it still sounds incredible.
Here's one thing that drove me crazy about it: your moves level up by usage. You won't be able to max out all your moves but you want to have a diverse moveset - so what you end up doing is level up moves only to abandon them completely at max level since they won't gain experience anymore and you need it for other moves...

I actually finished the game and it wasn't that horrible (stealth sections aside) but it's really not worth the price they keep asking for it. If you're aching for God of War on PC with a batshit storyline, just get Marlow Briggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So I want to actually beat or get decent at a citybuilding game. Tropico seems to fit my style and I already own Tropico 4, probably from a bundle or something. All the DLC is on sale for 10 bucks and I was going to get that, at least 1 of those DLC seems like I'd like it. Then I see that Tropico 5 is also just 10 bucks. Its 40 bucks for all their DLC so ill pass on that for now, but my question is:

Would it be better to spend 10 bucks for all of Tropico 4 DLC or just get Tropico 5 with the little bonuses theyre giving out now.

edit: NVM, looking around most folks think 5 isnt as good as 4. It has multiplayer, but Im not really seeing how thatd work anyway.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 16, 2015

• Locked thread