Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Benne posted:

Wasn't this around the time that Khali got busted on Wellness?

Nah that was ELEVATED ENZYMES IN THE LIVER or whatever the gently caress and he got replaced with Big Slow in a PUNJABI PRISON MATCH~~~~~!!! at GAB. Khali got cleared before the Summerslam match but they probably realized how absolutely loving terrible that match would've been live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

that is exactly the reason why they moved it to smackdown

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

HerraS posted:

Nah that was ELEVATED ENZYMES IN THE LIVER or whatever the gently caress

http://livertox.nih.gov/AndrogenicSteroids.htm

quote:

Androgenic and anabolic steroids have been implicated in four distinct forms of liver injury: transient serum enzyme elevations...

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Yet Vince was still hell bent on pushing Khali to the moon and not a year later he would be the WHC beating Batista and KANE in a triple threat. Jesus Christ 2006 and 2007 were loving BAD years to watch WWE.

edit: loving laffo if Khali for reals was busted for roids since Bobby Lashley was pulled from the exact same PPV for the exact same reason

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Hey hey those are some serious aspersions to cast on Bobby Lashley. His physique has been crafted naturally through years of top-level athletic competition, all the way back to when he wrestled in college at 170 lbs.

drscruf
Apr 5, 2010

Clearly this question does not deserve its own thread.

I'm wondering if there are any West Palm Beach or South Florida goons that would know a good bar to go see Summerslam. With wrestling fans and noise and beer.

Failing that, my charming bride is trying to talk me into flying to NY to see Stephen Amell up close.

Would prefer to not be bankrupted just yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

HerraS posted:

Yet Vince was still hell bent on pushing Khali to the moon and not a year later he would be the WHC beating Batista and KANE in a triple threat. Jesus Christ 2006 and 2007 were loving BAD years to watch WWE.

during all this john cena had a really good match with khali at extreme rules

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

DynamiteKidd posted:

Hey hey those are some serious aspersions to cast on Bobby Lashley. His physique has been crafted naturally through years of top-level athletic competition, all the way back to when he wrestled in college at 170 lbs.

I really enjoy Bobby Lashley's Bellator fights, good mix of striking and grappling. Anyone know if Lashley is ever going to face James Thompson?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HerraS posted:

Nah that was ELEVATED ENZYMES IN THE LIVER or whatever the gently caress and he got replaced with Big Slow in a PUNJABI PRISON MATCH~~~~~!!! at GAB. Khali got cleared before the Summerslam match but they probably realized how absolutely loving terrible that match would've been live.

That PPV was so terrible. They changed half the card last minute with zero promotion beforehand because they had no contingency plans for wellness yet - people were taken off the air immediately. It's also the reason Regal's amazing run as GM came to a screeching halt.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
A Khali Last Man Standing sounds like it would be a very sad and inane spectacle because this is a man who can barely stand up and walk. I wasn't really watching at the time, so maybe he was in much better condition then than at the end of his WWE run, but even so.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

That PPV was so terrible. They changed half the card last minute with zero promotion beforehand because they had no contingency plans for wellness yet - people were taken off the air immediately. It's also the reason Regal's amazing run as GM came to a screeching halt.

The PPV happened a year before Regal became GM in 2007 and that run ended the year after he had already won the King of the Ring.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HerraS posted:

The PPV happened a year before Regal became GM in 2007 and that run ended the year after he had already won the King of the Ring.

He means wellness, not this particular payperview

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Khali was always terrible, but he was still better back then. I liken it to Andre circa Wrestlemania 5 to Andre circa Wrestlemania 6.You knew what you were going to get either way, but at least one of them could walk.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

I'm writing about the Undertaker's history at Summerslam and I've noticed that he's missing from SummerSlam 2006. Apparently, he challenged Khali to a Last Man Standing match and it was put on Smackdown instead. Is there any story behind that? Because cutting Undertaker from Summerslam is such a weird thing to do.

Coincidentally, his last Summerslam match was against Edge in Hell in a Cell in 2008, which is the only Undertaker Summerslam match that 1) he won, 2) wasn't poo poo and 3) wasn't him slumming it in the midcard.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why the hostility and negativity towards Quackenbush?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ICHIBAHN posted:

He's a huge doofus who takes himself too seriously and makes people sleep on couches among other atrocities.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Was poo poo.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Coz he just showed up briefly in wrestling road diaries and I loving hate him solely for his lovely gear. Trousers up to his ears.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

He wears the shittiest suit imaginable.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ICHIBAHN posted:

he threw a big baby fit at starbucks

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

Was poo poo.

Denied; had two Undertakers, which is inherently awesome.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
one Undertaker is bad enough

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Xerzes posted:

had two Undertakers, which is inherently awesome.

:agreed:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Xerzes posted:

Denied; had two Undertakers, which is inherently awesome.

I just watched this match the other day, and I'm wondering why the crowd was dead silent for most of it. Was it because the outcome was too obvious? Was it not as easy to tell who the real Undertaker was from the audience as it was on TV? Was the whole idea just too ridiculous even by the standards of the time? I didn't think it was a bad match, or at least not bad enough that the quality of the wrestling itself was at fault.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They were in hushed awe of such a spectacle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it followed the Bret / Owen cage match, so the crowd was probably spent

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

Was poo poo.

Did it have a nice Beaver?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rollersnake posted:

I just watched this match the other day, and I'm wondering why the crowd was dead silent for most of it. Was it because the outcome was too obvious? Was it not as easy to tell who the real Undertaker was from the audience as it was on TV? Was the whole idea just too ridiculous even by the standards of the time? I didn't think it was a bad match, or at least not bad enough that the quality of the wrestling itself was at fault.

It was a bad match built up with really dumb skits and the premise was dumb and ridiculous, there was no reason for anyone to care.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I was there. The match was so boring. I remember looking around at the other people in attendance and we all had this look of incredulity.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Pretty much all Undertaker VS Other Big Man matches are boring, or at least were boring before he decided to become mma jumplord during the 2000s. Add in identical moveset sand you have got a recipe for boredom.

Like Massrafter said, the skits around it were garbage. The whole idea around the Undertaker is at its core, fairly serious, the UT Clone idea was presented to also be fairly serious. With these two things in mind, what did the WWF decide would be the best way to build heat for the match? The cast of the loving Naked Gun.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
There are 8 million jokes to be made about Taker and OJ by the way

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The undertaker is fairly serious?!

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

ICHIBAHN posted:

The undertaker is fairly serious?!

In the context of what is presented on TV, yeah. He doesn't do comedy skits or dance with Hornswoggle or any of that poo poo. While it has changed a LOT, The "Undertaker" concept is one of the most protected in wrestling.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dude threw Ultimate Warrior in a coffin and killed him (so he had to be replaced by a stunt double for 20 years). Undertaker was serious business from his debut on.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Speaking of the Undertaker, is he supposed to be an animated corpse or is he just a dude with death powers?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Smoking Crow posted:

Speaking of the Undertaker, is he supposed to be an animated corpse or is he just a dude with death powers?

Yes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Smoking Crow posted:

Yes

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Well originally he was a proto-New Generation "wrestles on the side" gimmick and thus the character was "he is, indeed, an undertaker." Remember, he wore a tie and everything.

I still love that every loving idea Vince had in the New Generation was "this guy has another job and wrestles on the side", with very few exceptions (Ahmed Johnson, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam, Marc Mero, and I guess Owen were just abotu the only guys who debuted during that period who didn't have cartoony gimmicks for whatever reason)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DynamiteKidd posted:

Well originally he was a proto-New Generation "wrestles on the side" gimmick and thus the character was "he is, indeed, an undertaker." Remember, he wore a tie and everything.

I still love that every loving idea Vince had in the New Generation was "this guy has another job and wrestles on the side", with very few exceptions (Ahmed Johnson, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam, Marc Mero, and I guess Owen were just abotu the only guys who debuted during that period who didn't have cartoony gimmicks for whatever reason)

If he was just a mortician who happened to like wrestling, then why was he controlled by the urn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The debuts of the Undertaker, Owen Hart, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam Bigelow, Ahmed Johnson and Marc Mero span like 10 years.