Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the AI is just awful about managing AE this patch. Burgundy will try to conquer Barrois to link up their territory, and then annex it and all of Lorraine together, and immediately get wiped out by everyone around. Then the various Dutch minors get loose, and start using all their cash to conquer each other, only to annex 4 provinces in a go and get stomped into dust.

TBH that's more or less how Burgundy fell in real life. Although "in real life" the Swiss were a military powerhouse...

Quick question on the HRE, does the Ewiger Landfriede also stop succession wars between HRE members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Can someone link me to that crazy Hansa game that someone posted an album to a while back? The trade one, where they were making money hand over fist...

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish you could order your vassals/marches to fabricate claims. Dammit Finland, I want to give you the rest of Novgorod, at least do me a favor and fabricate a claim on one province :argh:

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
One of those things that makes colonial nations much more interesting is that they're far more ambitious than regular vassals. Expanding on their own interests and getting into really stupid wars on the assumption you'll sail over to bail them out when things go bad.

Regular vassals only seem to show an iota of ambition when they want independence and they don't even go after that very hard.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can someone link me to that crazy Hansa game that someone posted an album to a while back? The trade one, where they were making money hand over fist...

No, but I do have this one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Potooweet posted:

No, but I do have this one.

:awesome:

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

https://imgur.com/a/5QEby

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

:stonk:

It's beautiful.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The former Muscovy player in the goon game had to drop out so we're looking for a new Muscovy. It's doing pretty well and is already colonizing the steppe.

We start 3 hours from when this was posted. Anyone interested or if you don't want to play Muscovy we have a few other spots open, message me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sammvt

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
e;f,b

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Does having more ships in a fleet that's attempting circumnavigation help it last longer? My last attempt came within a dozen sea zones before the last of the 10 light ships sunk.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I don't understand about circumnavigation is how AI Norway always manages to do it despite having no fleet basing rights with anyone or any ports further than the occasional Greenland/Canada colony.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No, they all take attrition damage at the same rate, so while adding more ships can increase the odds that one boat will scrape through with 1% or something, there's no real improvement in the odds. You need to have to whole route scouted already, and have a fair number of scattered bases to be successful. Maritime ideas, so your ships can repair in coastal zones (which only offsets attrition) is also a big help if you're gunning for the achievement.

E: Fleet basing rights can replace your own bases as well.

Larry Parrish posted:

What I don't understand about circumnavigation is how AI Norway always manages to do it despite having no fleet basing rights with anyone or any ports further than the occasional Greenland/Canada colony.

The AI takes no naval attrition damage, because they've never managed to program it to handle it well. Once the AI decides to go, they go.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 15, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Does having more ships in a fleet that's attempting circumnavigation help it last longer? My last attempt came within a dozen sea zones before the last of the 10 light ships sunk.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think so. For circumnavigation you want as many of the sea zones as possible explored (you spend a lot of time and attrition moving into unexplored zones), a decent Maneuver explorer if possible, up to date ships, and a few ports along the way to help with attrition.

It's just attrition based and number of ships doesn't affect that, just distance from port and time at sea.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Unless they patched it out there's also the cheating strategy of having another few ships stationed somewhere late in the circumnavigation to merge into your fleet as they pass. You can't direct the fleet that's circumnavigating, but if two fleets are in the same sea zone you can merge them together without interrupting it; the original ships will die, but the new full strength ships will keep going and let you finish.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Well that stinks. I've got the Falklands, South Africa, and Australia colonized, but it seems that the fleet has this ridiculous need to sail all the way up to Hawaii before going back down to Indonesia. It completely bypasses the ports in Australia and then sinks because the mission's pathing is dumb.

ninja edit

Koramei posted:

Unless they patched it out there's also the cheating strategy of having another few ships stationed somewhere late in the circumnavigation to merge into your fleet as they pass. You can't direct the fleet that's circumnavigating, but if two fleets are in the same sea zone you can merge them together without interrupting it; the original ships will die, but the new full strength ships will keep going and let you finish.

I might try this, actually

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
That still works, apparently. Got the achievement by sending the explorer on his mission Westward from Cape, then halfway through sent another group of ships East that linked up in the Phillipines. All the original ships sank but the fresh ships finished the mission. Cheers, Koramei :)

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Well, this is awkward. I'm playing a very catholic Spain crushing and converting the unbelievers. However, due to how my alliances shook out, I ended up being called into a war between the protestant and catholic leagues on the protestant side. I've basically been ignoring the actual conflict but Britain just worked out a treaty with the papal states and randomly ended up giving me Roma. This gives me a negative modifier since it's not exactly a good catholic thing to do, not to mention leaving me crazy overextended. I'm not sure whether the AI was deliberately being a dick or assumed I'd be grateful.

Is there a way to reform the papal states or at least get rid of the drat place? I can't sell it to anyone at the moment as I'm stuck in a couple of wars.

Edit: Never mind, got an event where my people cried out for an independent rome, so the Pope's back.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 15, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

Well, this is awkward. I'm playing a very catholic Spain crushing and converting the unbelievers. However, due to how my alliances shook out, I ended up being called into a war between the protestant and catholic leagues on the protestant side. I've basically been ignoring the actual conflict but Britain just worked out a treaty with the papal states and randomly ended up giving me Roma. This gives me a negative modifier since it's not exactly a good catholic thing to do, not to mention leaving me crazy overextended. I'm not sure whether the AI was deliberately being a dick or assumed I'd be grateful.

Is there a way to reform the papal states or at least get rid of the drat place? I can't sell it to anyone at the moment as I'm stuck in a couple of wars.

Edit: Never mind, got an event where my people cried out for an independent rome, so the Pope's back.

Just for future reference, I don't think Catholics can hold Rome or vassalize the Papal States without penalty. That's like the most spiteful thing the AI could have done to you, haha. I bet it was a big chunk of AE too.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Playing through my first complete game as Ottomans and holy poo poo did I underestimate how much damage going over 100% overextension would do. By the time it was over 11 countries had gained independence from me.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Just for future reference, I don't think Catholics can hold Rome or vassalize the Papal States without penalty. That's like the most spiteful thing the AI could have done to you, haha. I bet it was a big chunk of AE too.

Italy can, but that's it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pellisworth posted:

AFAIK the only way to hold Rome without penalty as a non-Papal nation is to form Italy.

E: F,b

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Despite hundreds of hours across various Paradox titles, this is the first time I've actually finished a game other than HoI2:

Making the Revolution happen is annoying as hell, but once it was done, the last 60-70 years of the game were hilarious. I was taking over territory as fast as I could bleed off OE and netting like 600-800 a month even with full maintenance on a million-plus man army.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
As England I just forced France into union with me. :sotw:

A couple of months later my king died, breaking the union. :negative:

At least I got the restoration of union CB on them when he died which lasts for 10 years.
Four years shorter than the truce :downs:

One year shorter than the regency I'm in :suicide:

Kinda ruined the entire gimmick of this game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chickpea Roar posted:

At least I got the restoration of union CB on them when he died which lasts for 10 years.

Maybe you'll get lucky and your heir will die. Might be worth waiting. If he dies a noble from some other family will probably take the throne, generally someone of age.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chickpea Roar posted:

This kind of poo poo really shouldn't be able to happen, much like how you can't cancel a vassal that still has a truce with you, you should be immune to losing PU minors while you still have a truce with them.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Speaking of the France PU:

I actually do have an heir, but one with an average claim. Am I going to lose the PU when my queen dies? For what it's worth Castille got a full Iberian wedding, also has an average claim heir, and Castile's heir shows up instead of "no legal heir" on the diplomacy screen for Aragon/Naples.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Speaking of the France PU:

I actually do have an heir, but one with an average claim. Am I going to lose the PU when my queen dies? For what it's worth Castille got a full Iberian wedding, also has an average claim heir, and Castile's heir shows up instead of "no legal heir" on the diplomacy screen for Aragon/Naples.

I believe if you go to the subjects menu you should be able to see what happens if your queen dies. If their opinion is under zero they will free themselves.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Claim strength doesn't affect what happens with PUs. Only down to opinion or prestige.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Has anyone else noticed a bug where after winning a siege against an enemy fort, you lose military tradition? It doesn't happen all the time, but my MT has been dropping like crazy - 0.3-4 each month as normal, but then sometimes I gain a few points of MT after winning a siege, and sometimes I lose it. I'm not losing battles, I'm not losing sieges of my own, I'm just losing tradition on some siege wins.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have a Brandenburg game going on, and I've reached the point where my troops are killing machines and nothing short of a world-wide coalition can stop my advance towards a unified Germany.

However, ever since I discovered the wonders of Administrative Ideas and not giving a poo poo about manpower, Prussia's armies are not filled with German-blooded soldiers; instead, they are sellswords and vagabonds from all over the globe, trained to exacting Prussian standards and devoted to fighting for their new home. And my, how do they fight.

I've no interest in expanding beyond German borders either, so I've taken to declaring war on powerful neighbors just for the power projection, the loot, and the thrill of war. To mercenaries everywhere, there will always be warm beds, hot food, the finest weapons, and a battle to fight in under the Prussian banner. Soldiers will always have a purpose, and will never be neglected in my...

...äußere Himmel.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I have a Brandenburg game going on, and I've reached the point where my troops are killing machines and nothing short of a world-wide coalition can stop my advance towards a unified Germany.

However, ever since I discovered the wonders of Administrative Ideas and not giving a poo poo about manpower, Prussia's armies are not filled with German-blooded soldiers; instead, they are sellswords and vagabonds from all over the globe, trained to exacting Prussian standards and devoted to fighting for their new home. And my, how do they fight.

I've no interest in expanding beyond German borders either, so I've taken to declaring war on powerful neighbors just for the power projection, the loot, and the thrill of war. To mercenaries everywhere, there will always be warm beds, hot food, the finest weapons, and a battle to fight in under the Prussian banner. Soldiers will always have a purpose, and will never be neglected in my...

...äußere Himmel.

shift your ambitions

you don't want their land, you want to vassalise all of them until they turn hostile, and then beat them all down at once like the idiots they are

in my brandenburg-prussia-germany game I made all of europe vassals

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Another Person posted:

shift your ambitions

you don't want their land, you want to vassalise all of them until they turn hostile, and then beat them all down at once like the idiots they are

in my brandenburg-prussia-germany game I made all of europe vassals

I got started on that with Denmark and Silesia, haha! Meanwhile I'm best buds with Poland thanks to the trick where you constantly cockblock them from Danzig and the rest of Prussia until I got too big to gently caress with.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Playing a Byzantium game, things didn't go that great in the first war and I only got 1 province, then my dynasty dies out and is replaced by Hapsburgs, then I get the union with Hungary event :stare:

Now if I could stop England from being allied with loving Venice things would be great. Or if I could convince Austria to join me for a nice bit of Venice-thrashing. The AI plays a lot more intelligently around its navy construction now which is a pain in the rear end since everyone you want to war with early as Byzantium tends to spam galleys way over your force limit so you can't just conquer the entire eastern Med with 20 galleys any more :(

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

What tech do I need to core provinces all over the world like that?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone ever opted for the Bureaucratic Despotism option in the Scheming Bureaucracy event? I've never taken it before, but I'm sitting here in my Ottomans game with 600 provinces and kinda want to do it just for grins. Problem is I have no idea how the Bureaucratic Despotism government form works (maybe that's intentional :v:)

This might be my favorite event in the whole game, if only for the flavour text.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone ever opted for the Bureaucratic Despotism option in the Scheming Bureaucracy event? I've never taken it before, but I'm sitting here in my Ottomans game with 600 provinces and kinda want to do it just for grins. Problem is I have no idea how the Bureaucratic Despotism government form works (maybe that's intentional :v:)

This might be my favorite event in the whole game, if only for the flavour text.

Kill them. All.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I take that event every time, free republic! Don't worry about the stability, just submit and then you can switch government types to another republic if you no longer want to live in Renaissance-era Terry Gillian's Brazil

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still kick myself every once in awhile for not becoming a Bureaucratic Despotism when I got that event, during my Sun God run. I judged the Absolute Monarchy as more appropriate and useful in the long run, but the idea of a figurehead Incan emperor, with the empire ran by the bureaucracy is wonderful :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, figurehead might be a bit literal, in that the event actually requires your ruler to die.

• Locked thread