Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nhilist posted:

Look what I found today, cast iron...fish? Who cares, they were in ratty shape, but a little tlc and I am going to...do, well something with them. They have to be old as all get out, the handles are cast and attached, bought them at antique store for 12 bucks.

I thought they were shaped like electric guitars at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

I thought they were shaped like electric guitars at first

Why can't it be both? Make cornbread for us in them. Or a giant one-sided taiyaki.

Also, lovely granite.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Suspect Bucket posted:

Why can't it be both? Make cornbread for us in them. Or a giant one-sided taiyaki.

Also, lovely granite.

Both ideas are brilliant and I certainly will. Kicking myself for not thinking of the taiyaki. Once I got them cleaned up, we did crab cakes for the first test drive, turned out fantastic, no hot spots and made for a continued nice oily seasoning.

Funny story about the counter-top, I was excited to get a picture to show you guys, I fumbled one of them and it landed hard, I did not want to look to see the damage, after my wife pried my eyes open, not a scratch, so here is to granite, it forgives even my clumsiness. Cornbread pictures incoming posthaste.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Nhilist posted:

Look what I found today, cast iron...fish? Who cares, they were in ratty shape, but a little tlc and I am going to...do, well something with them. They have to be old as all get out, the handles are cast and attached, bought them at antique store for 12 bucks.

fish pancakes?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

w00tmonger posted:

fish pancakes?

fish cakes, duh

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Fish pot pie

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Going to be doing some dutch oven cooking this weekend while camping. Looking forward to it!

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
I have an old rear end pan I got out of my gramps kitchen after he passed...it doesn't have any brand markers on it, but on the bottom it says 11 1/4 inch and there's a 10 on the handle. Any ideas regarding what size lid I might want for it?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Splish posted:

I have an old rear end pan I got out of my gramps kitchen after he passed...it doesn't have any brand markers on it, but on the bottom it says 11 1/4 inch and there's a 10 on the handle. Any ideas regarding what size lid I might want for it?

Lids fit the skillets. 11 1/4".

measure the diameter of the skillet just to confirm if you're unsure.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Drifter posted:

Lids fit the skillets. 11 1/4".

measure the diameter of the skillet just to confirm if you're unsure.

That was what I figured, but it doesn't seem like 11 1/4" lids are available. We'll see if 12" does the trick I suppose.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Splish posted:

That was what I figured, but it doesn't seem like 11 1/4" lids are available. We'll see if 12" does the trick I suppose.

Most likely. A 12 incher's bottom lip will rest on the top of the pan, so it won't be 'snug', but it'll fit fine.

I have used other similar sized cast iron pans as lids on occasion, too; sometimes I'll invert if I need the overhead clearance. It works very well. I have a Calphalon stainless steel lid from a pan that I use on my large cast iron. Don't you just have another pot lid/pan that comes close to fitting? Use that. It doesn't have to form a perfect seal, just a decent one.

If you decide to buy a lid, make sure the pan handle won't conflict overly much with it making a seal.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Drifter posted:

Most likely. A 12 incher's bottom lip will rest on the top of the pan, so it won't be 'snug', but it'll fit fine.

I have used other similar sized cast iron pans as lids on occasion, too; sometimes I'll invert if I need the overhead clearance. It works very well. I have a Calphalon stainless steel lid from a pan that I use on my large cast iron. Don't you just have another pot lid/pan that comes close to fitting? Use that. It doesn't have to form a perfect seal, just a decent one.

If you decide to buy a lid, make sure the pan handle won't conflict overly much with it making a seal.

I had been using a roommate's pan, but I moved and now the cast iron is the biggest thing I have. I think I'll try a 12 incher, I want a cast iron one so I can use it camping.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
A handle snapped off of one of my Lodge cast iron skillets. That doesn't mean it's useless, but it does make it a bit awkward to work with. Anyone have any ideas on what would be best to use it for that would reduce the awkwardness?

Also, I assume I now need to season the site where the handle snapped off to keep it from rusting, right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eh I'd just start with a new pan. You could roast or use it on the grill

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsech posted:

Also, I assume I now need to season the site where the handle snapped off to keep it from rusting, right?

Eh, season implies a whole lotta work. At best you'd just have to wipe/spray it with a scoonch of oil every now and again. You're not cooking on that part, so you only need it to be water-free, not non-stick. And remember, you're not exactly seasoning or coating with oil the outside of the pan, and that doesn't rust. Just keep it dry.

If you're super bored you could always drill some small holes near the lip of the broken pan and run heavy wire through it so that you could carry the pan like a picnic basket to help make it less awkward to handle.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 16, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Arcsech posted:

A handle snapped off of one of my Lodge cast iron skillets. That doesn't mean it's useless, but it does make it a bit awkward to work with. Anyone have any ideas on what would be best to use it for that would reduce the awkwardness?

Drill a hole in the sides near the top and attach a wire loop.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Dude just get a new $15 pan. How did you manage to break a cast iron skillet anyways?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Dude just get a new $15 pan. How did you manage to break a cast iron skillet anyways?

I also wonder this. I have come just short of throwing one of mine off a cliff and haven't even dented it. If you left it out in the yard for a season or two and then smashed it with a sledge you might be able to bust the handle but I can't imagine it happening in normal usage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crazyeyes posted:

I also wonder this. I have come just short of throwing one of mine off a cliff and haven't even dented it. If you left it out in the yard for a season or two and then smashed it with a sledge you might be able to bust the handle but I can't imagine it happening in normal usage.

I've seen cheap pans break at the handle.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Use it on the grill. Or if you're gonna toss it, I'll take it off your hands.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Drill a couple of holes and make a wire handle like dutch ovens have.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cast iron is brittle and he might be unlucky enough for there to be a casting flaw in the handle.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Go buy an all-metal vicegrip and clamp that sucker on there hard for a new handle.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Just buy a new one? It's not like they are expensive.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What about that magic welding crap they sell on TV?

I'd just get a new one, though my Lodge has sentimental value... which would depreciate rapidly should the handle ever break.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You could also use JB weld to stick any old piece of metal on there. Even the old handle!

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be pan that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

You know what to do. :black101:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You could also use JB weld to stick any old piece of metal on there. Even the old handle!

Is JB weld heat resistant enough?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

spankmeister posted:

Is JB weld heat resistant enough?

According to the package I'm looking at it can stand up to 550F when fully cured.

JBWeld is epoxy-Jesus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Arcsech posted:

Flip it the gently caress over and use it for a pizza stone. You've now got an oven-only pan.

Hell just throw those $1 Totino's frozen pizzas inside it, fits perfectly. And make deep-dish pizza in it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crazyeyes posted:

According to the package I'm looking at it can stand up to 550F when fully cured.

JBWeld is epoxy-Jesus.

JBWeld is great for fixing leaks, but it's not structural. You could *maybe* weld the handle back on, but welding cast iron is tricky, and unless you work in a welding shop, is going to be more expensive than just replacing the pan.

If this was your grandma's 150 year old Griswold, you should drill and tap a hole in the handle and a hole where the handle was, use a steel stud to mechanically connect the two pieces, and then place a weld to hold the connection in place. Of course, at shop rates, that would run you a few hundred bucks.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Is this worth $20 or so at my local thrift shop, or would that same $20 be better spent on a lodge? This would be my first cast iron.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
That is an old Lodge pan made somewhere between 1960 - 1987. I think it's worth buying for $20.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Copper Vein posted:

Is this worth $20 or so at my local thrift shop, or would that same $20 be better spent on a lodge? This would be my first cast iron.

That is a Lodge, made some time between 1960 and 1987 probably, per http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

It'd be a neat piece, and every bit as good (if not maybe a skoch better?) than a modern Lodge.

e: f;b

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Ok, thanks. There's a 8" there as well, maybe I can bargain with em.

The skillet surface had some shiny areas to it, I don't know if you can really see it in the pic. Maybe that means somebody scrubbed it kinda rough? Maybe that means the surface will be smoother than a fresh one, but I don't know if that's better.

I can't read skillet surfaces like palms, but I have been watching my youtubes and expect to strip the surface and reseason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just got a lodge griddle as an anniversary gift, so now I have my ideal set of three: large skillet, dutch oven, and griddle. I feel like I can do anything now!

I made a sheet pizza over a campfire, I made bacon on the grill, I've made mac and cheese in a smoker... Cast iron is amazing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

It's not that I'm too cheap to buy another (this is my second cast iron skillet, I already have another perfectly functional one), it's just that I don't like throwing away things that are still plenty usable. Even if I get rid of something, if it's still usable I'll either give it to someone who wants to use it or donate it to a thrift store. I'm all about reuse and upcycling and whatnot.

Anyway, it just got dropped and landed on the handle, which snapped clean off.

QuarkMartial posted:

Use it on the grill.

Bob Morales posted:

Flip it the gently caress over and use it for a pizza stone. You've now got an oven-only pan.

These are the kind of things I was looking for. Both excellent suggestions, thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Every drat time I read this thread I want to make a pan of cornbread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob Morales posted:

Every drat time I read this thread I want to make a pan of cornbread.

Cast iron pan cornbread is the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MrYenko posted:

Cast iron pan cornbread is the best thing.

It really is. My wife bought me a mini Crock Pot for my classroom this year. I can't wait to cookreheat beans and have corn bread for lunches this Fall.