Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Rincewinds posted:

Considering how bad most of the republican candidates today are, what was the awful part of George H. W. Bush? I mean, he was right wing, but standing next to these bozos and even his sons, he would look like the sane one, but he must had something to gain the support of the loons in the party.

The loons just didn't have a full hand on the reins of the party back then, at least not in the way the Tea Party has pulled things. What probably motivated the crazies to vote for Bush Jr. was the Clinton hate machine that was already in full swing, and I don't know if he campaigned on it, but I know he supported a lot of measures towards loving over public schools, which is kind of a right wing looney issue. Looking back on it from non-highschooler perspective, H.W. Bush just seems like the perfect establishment Republican candidate. I mean, what crony style nonesense didn't his administration get up to? He did private schooling bullshit, pushed for privatizing social security, started a long, drawn out conflict that certainly lined the pockets of your typical military contract corporations, and allowed the banks to run wild and nearly destroy the economy.

Edit: Oh poo poo wrong bush!

I was too young to know anything about Bush Sr!

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Rincewinds posted:

Considering how bad most of the republican candidates today are, what was the awful part of George H. W. Bush? I mean, he was right wing, but standing next to these bozos and even his sons, he would look like the sane one.

I'm 40 now. I was 13 when he got elected so I will give you what I remember He had a disaster of a vice president. He was completely out of touch with the day to day lives of the average American. He had the misfortune of being president during what turned out to be a mild recession, but one that began to popularize mass corporate layoffs. I seem to remember him going to a store and buying a pair of tube socks and saying that his purchase was going to stimulate the economy, and BTW, what new fangled technology is the scanner the cashier is using? He was the opposite of the next president who said he felt our pain.

He didn't have the gift of words like both his predecessor or successor, I can't think of any strong convictions either. He struggled with the "vision thing", but mostly seemed pragmatic. He might have been an imperialist, but if he was an emperor, he was a competent one. And yes, he would be a dream compared to any of the current crop except for maybe Kasich.

quote:

but he must had something to gain the support of the loons in the party

He ran against Dukakis. Enough said. Dukakis did enough to destroy himself. But for someone with as bland a leadership style he was a surprisingly viscous campaigner. Look up Willie Horton. I don't think he was racist, but it sure didn't stop him from pulling all the stops out to get the racist vote. This was the tail end of the cold war and Democrats tended to have headwinds against them on national security. Also the electorate was a lot whiter then.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I mean, what crony style nonesense didn't his administration get up to? He did private schooling bullshit, pushed for privatizing social security, started a long, drawn out conflict that certainly lined the pockets of your typical military contract corporations, and allowed the banks to run wild and nearly destroy the economy.

Every Republican lines the pockets of military contractors, but they mostly got Saudi Arabia and the other gulf nations to finance their war. He was part of the deregulation push that led to the economy being destroyed, but if you are going to be honest about it, Clinton was an even bigger deregulator. It was under Clinton that Glass Stegall was overturned.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 16, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That sounds like a defense A LOSER would have. Trump stands 110% behind all of these, he will get all the blacks, Jews, Hispanics, everybody to vote for him!

The Blacks, the Jews, the Hispanics - they'll vote for him as much as the normal people do!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

stoutfish posted:

so kicking out mexicans is a higher priority than saving the lives of millions of dead babies?

If Trump's rise in the polls has taught us anything, it's that the single most important issue and qualification for the Republican base is being a racist.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Considering how bad most of the republican candidates today are, what was the awful part of George H. W. Bush? I mean, he was right wing, but standing next to these bozos and even his sons, he would look like the sane one, but he must had something to gain the support of the loons in the party.

He said he wouldn't raise taxes.

Then he raised taxes.

:rip:

e: Daddy's Boy Jeb! is totally going to do a Read My Lips speech at some point which will mark his final flameout.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Just to make this clear; Trump wants to ethnically cleanse America.

Not sure any other candidate are on board with that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Montasque posted:

Deporting illegal immigrants is not the same as ethnic cleansing. I disagree with it even so, but let's not blow things out of proportion. I don't think any other countries get criticised so harshly for enforcing their immigration laws.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Montasque posted:

If they aren't now, just wait until they see what it does to Trump's numbers with the base.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Montasque posted:

Jeb's response to no longer being top three?

Jeb Bush super PAC spending $10 million on ads in early primary states

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-jeb-bush-super-pac-10-million-20150816-story.html
Jeb Bush has slipped out of the top three, so his super pac is carpet bombing Iowa and New Hampshire with their awesome arsenal of cash. Just as his father and brother found in Iraq, an airforce is not enough to win a country. To hold ground there need to be troops on the ground, and that floppy, stupid sack of mayonnaise has none. I wonder how far the metaphor will continue to ring true. Silly thought: Are Trump and Bernie the insurgents in this metaphor? Sanderistas and Storm Trumpers.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Just to bring it home;

8 years of Regan and 4 Years of Bush the elder. 12 long and just horrible years. 12 years....

Clinton wasn't perfect, be wasn't one of those assholes.
When people talk about how great Regan was, they are lying or just making poo poo up, when they do it about Clinton they honestly liked him, even if they didn't like his policies. Clinton was also incredibly right wing, which led to some really bad policy being voted into law while he was president. No Republican could have passed his crime bills and welfare reform, for example.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

PT6A posted:

Deporting illegal immigrants is not the same as ethnic cleansing. I disagree with it even so, but let's not blow things out of proportion. I don't think any other countries get criticised so harshly for enforcing their immigration laws.

The forced deportation of 30 million people, the majority being one specific ethnic group(Latino) seems like ethnic cleansing to me.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Montasque posted:

The forced deportation of 30 million people, the majority being one specific ethnic group(Latino) seems like ethnic cleansing to me.

I think when many people hear ethnic cleansing, they tend to think of it in terms of murder.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This is how terms get watered down and eventually the population at large just rolls their eyes at what should be serious accusations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

PT6A posted:

it would absolutely be ethnic cleansing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

AssassinPrincess posted:

I think when many people hear ethnic cleansing, they tend to think of it in terms of murder.

A lot of those people would wind up dead because of the policy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Montasque posted:

The forced deportation of 30 million people, the majority being one specific ethnic group(Latino) seems like is ethnic cleansing

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
a vote for Trump is a vote for nihilism.

the dream of 1930's Germany is alive in America

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Brannock posted:

This is how terms get watered down and eventually the population at large just rolls their eyes at what should be serious accusations.

Ethnic Cleansing doesn't necessary mean mass murder, but with that said you bet your rear end that if this policy was instituted it would lead to tens of thousands of deaths.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Montasque posted:

Ethnic sweeping, I mean he's not killing them just putting it under the rug (Mexico).

I hate myself

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

apatheticman posted:

Ethnic sweeping, I mean he's not killing them just putting it under the rug (his hairpiece).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Some guy on CNN just compared Donald Trump to Dwight Eisenhower. :stare:

How in the hell does this guy get so much air time? All his solutions to problems sound like they came from a 9 year old.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Pohl posted:

Just to bring it home;

8 years of Regan and 4 Years of Bush the elder. 12 long and just horrible years. 12 years....

Clinton wasn't perfect, be wasn't one of those assholes.
When people talk about how great Regan was, they are lying or just making poo poo up, when they do it about Clinton they honestly liked him, even if they didn't like his policies. Clinton was also incredibly right wing, which led to some really bad policy being voted into law while he was president. No Republican could have passed his crime bills and welfare reform, for example.

No, lots of people legitimately like Reagan, mainly because he was the political equivalent of junk food. He provided simple, easy answers during a complex time and reassured people that they didn't have to reconsider any of their long-held beliefs about America. All of the terrible things he did during his term don't matter, even the things that blatantly contradict his conservative beliefs, Because he told Americans that they were good and that everything was going to be okay, thus s become the ultimate conservative daddy figure.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

SouthLAnd posted:

How in the hell does this guy get so much air time? All his solutions to problems sound like they came from a 9 year old.

America has the average intelligence and attention span of an 8-year-old, so it works out perfectly.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SouthLAnd posted:

We are about to embark on a luxurious crusade...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Brannock posted:

"Ethnic cleansing" literally does not mean "mass murder" only. It refers to intentionally reducing the population of a particular ethnicity(ies) (or bolstering the population of a particular ethnicity) in a given area, as accomplished by any means.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fuschia tude posted:

"Ethnic cleansing" literally does not mean "mass murder" only. It refers to intentionally reducing the population of a particular ethnicity(ies) (or bolstering the population of a particular ethnicity) in a given area, as accomplished by any means.

I know what it means, dude.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
"Ethnic cleansing? Pfft, all he's doin' is sending them illegals back home. Shouldna been here if they didn't want to get kicked out! Hah!"

*in incredibly autistic voice* "Actually, if you inspect the dictionary, here, you will see that this is, indeed, ethnic cleansing. Therefore, you should not support Donald Trump."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Okay guys, in your honest opinion how likely is a Trump presidency? I've been increasingly coming across people who unexpectedly favor him, or seem apathetically resigned to it.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rincewinds posted:

I want you to visualize a thousand points of light.

Never mind, just read my lips.

New Taxes!

(Papa Reagan already maxed out the plastic)

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

They have the same hairline

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

Brannock posted:

"Ethnic cleansing? Pfft, all he's doin' is sending them illegals back home. Shouldna been here if they didn't want to get kicked out! Hah!"

*in incredibly autistic voice* "Actually, if you inspect the dictionary, here, you will see that this is, indeed, ethnic cleansing. Therefore, you should not support Donald Trump."

This post is silly.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Okay guys, in your honest opinion how likely is a Trump presidency? I've been increasingly coming across people who unexpectedly favor him, or seem apathetically resigned to it.

Its more likely than it should be. 2 Months ago, if you had claimed that Trump would get the numbers he does, most people would have laughed at you. Especially after his first 2 speech.

Now, I think people just don't know what to make of it. Some people genuinely want Trump to win, while others just want to see the Nuclear armaggedon that would most likely result from his first few hours in office.

I for one, am brushing up on my Fallout lore to figure out post-nuclear war survival skills.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Neo_Crimson posted:

More likely than any other Republican, really. Even then, not very likely at all. About the best the GOP can hope for is an electoral tie -- as of right now, anyway. Of course, the election is over a year away and who knows what can happen in... hmm, 450 days.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Neo_Crimson posted:

People thought Reagan was a joke and would never be president

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Brannock posted:

I guess you're right, we should just give up the meanings of words because ignorant people are ignorant

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I just read through the immigration policies of both Bush and Trump - they're mostly the same poo poo except for Trump's innovation of making Mexico pay for a giant wall with a "big, beautiful door."

Bush is going down the tubes. He's got no energy, he's a puppet, and he's got no energy. Nice enough guy, though.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
His glasses piss me off

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
They make me want to give him a big ol wedgie

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Beforehand posted:

This post is silly.

This post is not Trump approved. But thank you for your insightful contribution to our dialogue.

If you are not in the country legally, pack your bags and make sure you wear clean underwear. The Trump bus full of new ICE agents is just around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Brannock posted:

You know who else supports ethnic cleansing?

That's right!!! Nazis!

You know what you're supposed to do when you meet a Nazi?

Introduce their skull to the loving asphalt repeatedly!

Or be an autistic nerd or w/e

• Locked thread