Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JHVH-1 posted:

That's in American dollars. It's kinda silly. Here's the Olympus branded one new double what I got a used one for http://www.amazon.com/LH-48-Lens-Hood-Zuiko-Digital/dp/B0058G4AP2

Almost 70 for a piece of lens hook? This is a loving rip off even if its made in titanium or carbon fiber.

Edit: wait listed price 89.99? OK now thats just funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Almost 70 for a piece of lens hook? This is a loving rip off even if its made in titanium or carbon fiber.

Edit: wait listed price 89.99? OK now thats just funny.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&Q=&A=details

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Olympus learn from the best.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Olympus learn from the best.

Granted , it's the replacement part for a 13k$ lens but still.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

That's a kml overlay on google maps. You can do the same thing with google earth + the kml file. So if you want to use this in a mobile app Google "light pollution kml" click the first result which is this http://umich.edu/~lowbrows/guide/google/269838-ArtificialNightSkyBrightnessforNorthAmerica.kmz and choose "open in google earth"

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm selling my X100T here for any interested parties:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736711

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

bobfather posted:

That'd be hella tempting if I didn't have my eyes on a Mamiya 7. I never had more fun shooting or learned more about photography than I did with my X100.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bobfather posted:

Somebody better jump on this, that's a great price for a camera that is only a few months old

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MMD3 posted:

Somebody better jump on this, that's a great price for a camera that is only a few months old

gently caress you, workin on it

(bobfather: posted in your sell thread, like 90% sure I can pick it up off of you)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Phone posted:

gently caress you, workin on it

(bobfather: posted in your sell thread, like 90% sure I can pick it up off of you)

Hey cool man. I answered your question in the sale thread, but it’s 1300 actuations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whoa major Fujifilm price drops -- apparently temporary rebates expiring September 19. X-T1 down $100, 16mm down from $1000 to $850, 35mm down from $600 to $400, etc.

The 27mm pancake went from $450 to $250 :eyepop:

I was really going to hold off on any glass beyond the 23mm for a while, but at those prices... I'm really tempted to grab that pancake.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 27 is a great walk around lens.

In other news after having used an xt1 for a while I've decided it's not enough of a weight/annoyance upgrade over my d800.

Realistically I'm only ever going to daily carry a camera if it fits in a pants pocket, and my phone is already competent enough of a camera to make carrying an extra object a pretty unattractive proposition.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Whoa major Fujifilm price drops -- apparently temporary rebates expiring September 19. X-T1 down $100, 16mm down from $1000 to $850, 35mm down from $600 to $400, etc.

The 27mm pancake went from $450 to $250 :eyepop:

I was really going to hold off on any glass beyond the 23mm for a while, but at those prices... I'm really tempted to grab that pancake.

Of course right after I buy a LN used 16mm for $850. Buy that 27mm it's worth every penny at that price, I just sold mine for $225 so if you don't like it you won't lose much.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Just FYI, the deal is on in Canada too, although everything is $50 dollars more here, with the garbage exchange rate it might still work out cheaper depending on taxes and whatnot.

Probably will grab the 27mm but man I really want the 56mm and the 23mm too.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The pancake is a tempting impulse buy, but its hard to justify since I already own an X100T. 27mm seems like it would be such a versatile focal length, though...

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I've been thinking about picking up the 27mm as a walk-around lens for my X-E1 before a trip to NYC in a few weeks. $250 NIB made that an easy call. Thanks, Fuji!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Animal posted:

The pancake is a tempting impulse buy, but its hard to justify since I already own an X100T. 27mm seems like it would be such a versatile focal length, though...
Already owning the 23mm, I find myself wrestling with the same issue.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whats the crop factor on those again?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Whats the crop factor on those again?
1.52, I think.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Already owning the 23mm, I find myself wrestling with the same issue.

How have things worked out for you after your switch to mirrorless?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice price drop on the 16mm/1.4, its sooner than I expected. Its only 950 Canadian on Henry's. So that make it well below 750 shipped. You get 2 year warranty too, if you have a Canadian contact

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
I have an Olympus E-P2 and I've loved it for years, but last night I shot some aurora and I'm not loving the all the colour noise that turned up. So maybe it's time to update... I've finally got some good lenses (Panasonic 20mm/1.7 and Olympus 75mm/1.8) so I'd really rather not move away from the M4/3 system.

What body should I be looking at? I really like the size and portability of the E-P2 and would rather not have anything noticeably bigger. The E-P5 seems to be a couple years old now, is there something else that's solidly beaten it? Is there an E-P6 coming soon? If I'm coming from no viewfinder, would I still be disappointed by the small viewfinder on the GM5? Is there a newer/better Panasonic?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Get whatever camera in the OM-D series is in your budget. Even the original OM-D EM-5 is great. I got a used EM-5 for $350 from a camera shop.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

Budget isn't so much an issue as size. I'm worried that if I move to something a bit bigger, I might be less likely to carry it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Animal posted:

How have things worked out for you after your switch to mirrorless?
So far, as a walk-around camera I'm enjoying the experience quite a bit. It's certainly more fun and less conspicuous to carry around than my old full-frame gripped DSLR. The problems I'm having so far are mostly related to any system switch: not used to where controls are, not used to quirks of the new camera, and learning the strengths and limits of its capabilities. I've found the 23mm a nice transition lens as I was mostly using a 35mm on my 5DIII at the end.

I've got a 9-day photography road trip planned for next month (Zion and Grand Canyon), so we'll see how I like shooting with the X-T1 in that scenario. I have a feeling I'll miss my 24mm tilt-shift to make 40-50MP stitched shots, but at least I've still got my Lee Filters setup to play with.

So far though: A++ would buy Fujifilm again

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've got a 9-day photography road trip planned for next month (Zion and Grand Canyon),

Bryce Canyon is rly good too if you have the time.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I recently noticed on my Fujifilm XF 55-200mm that the part of the lens that extends has some play to it which I don't think is supposed to be there. That is I can make it wiggle around especially when it's fully extended to 200mm. In fact, there is so much play that the lens extension will sag enough at 200mm that my photos become a blurry mess even though the autofocus says it's fine. :flaccid:

At 200mm f/4.8 (Click for full size original)

At shorter focal lengths, it's not an issue since the lens extension is far enough inside the lens body to be supported.

At 95mm f3.6 (Click for full size original)

It was definitely not like that earlier this year.

At 200mm f/4.8 (Click for full size original)

Even though I bought it used, I believe that this was probably my fault. I think I may have been packing the lens in too tight of a space such that when I grab the lens to take it out the lens will extend on its own. I may have done that one too many times and damaged something. So what's the best way to get it fixed?

EDIT: Turns out there Fujifilm has a repair center very close to where I live that can accept drop offs so I may take it there. I'll probably also use that as an opportunity to get the light leak issue for my X-T1 fixed even though I don't use it in such a way where that would be a problem.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 17, 2015

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

the42ndtourist posted:

I have an Olympus E-P2 and I've loved it for years, but last night I shot some aurora and I'm not loving the all the colour noise that turned up. So maybe it's time to update... I've finally got some good lenses (Panasonic 20mm/1.7 and Olympus 75mm/1.8) so I'd really rather not move away from the M4/3 system.

What body should I be looking at? I really like the size and portability of the E-P2 and would rather not have anything noticeably bigger. The E-P5 seems to be a couple years old now, is there something else that's solidly beaten it? Is there an E-P6 coming soon? If I'm coming from no viewfinder, would I still be disappointed by the small viewfinder on the GM5? Is there a newer/better Panasonic?
It kind of feels like Olympus is abandoning the high end PEN series cameras in favor of the lower end OMD. The E-M10 came out after the E-P5 and is getting replaced at the end of this month.

But the E-P5 isn't really missing anything significant that is in any of the newer Olympus models. It uses the same sensor and stabilization system as the E-M5, and the E-M5 II didn't really upgrade either of those. Also, the E-M10 isn't really that much smaller than the E-P5 and is under $500 now. I don't consider either my E-M10 or E-PL2 to be pocketable, if that's what you meant by portable. Panasonic GX7 is also a good option that is about the same size. Best deal in Micro 4/3 right now though is the E-PL6 which is $299 for a brand new kit.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is $875 a good price for an (apparently) lightly used black x100t?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

frogbs posted:

Is $875 a good price for an (apparently) lightly used black x100t?

Absolutely, yes. I got one with a spare battery for $950 a few months ago and that was a deal and a half. I adore it, its like they finally got the formula correct. Not that the s or original are slouches by any means, but I love the WiFi connections and programmable buttons. I wish Nikon would jump on that trend.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
The 27mm for $250 is really good value for money, and turns your X-cam in a supersmall camera.
After buying it, sold my x100s and never looked back. X-T1 + 27 and x100s pretty much serve the same purpose,

Keep in mind that the 40mm eq viewpoint may take a little getting used to. Personally, it's neither narrow or wide enough.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the42ndtourist posted:

If you don't need a viewfinder and you like small, the GM1 is loving tiny. I like the viewfinder on the GX7, especially the tilt function, and also apparently there's a GX8 out now?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I picked up the X-E1 and 18-55mm kit lens a few months ago to start being a bit more intentional about photography as opposed to just snapping pictures. I've loved the combination, since it's been good for getting a better feel for focal lengths, shutter speeds, and apertures. Most of my photos have been around town, so they've mainly tended toward the the mid-to-long end of the 18-55's focal range.

Now that I'm a few months in and still going strong, I'm looking to pick up a few lenses before making a first trip to New York City and the first day or two of the U.S. Open at the end of the month. I've already ordered the 27mm as a walk-around lens; any suggestions on other lenses to pick up (either rent or buy?) for trip?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The 35mm currently on sale for about 300 is a steal for such a damned good lens. I have a love affair with my 35mm.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

TheGoatTrick posted:

It kind of feels like Olympus is abandoning the high end PEN series cameras in favor of the lower end OMD. The E-M10 came out after the E-P5 and is getting replaced at the end of this month.

But the E-P5 isn't really missing anything significant that is in any of the newer Olympus models. It uses the same sensor and stabilization system as the E-M5, and the E-M5 II didn't really upgrade either of those. Also, the E-M10 isn't really that much smaller than the E-P5 and is under $500 now. I don't consider either my E-M10 or E-PL2 to be pocketable, if that's what you meant by portable. Panasonic GX7 is also a good option that is about the same size. Best deal in Micro 4/3 right now though is the E-PL6 which is $299 for a brand new kit.

Portable - not so much pocketable as unobtrusive, as is how much will I notice carrying it when touristing or on a long dayhike or along with camping gear or out in the field with a vest and pack loaded down with gps, rocks, equipment and probably a small sledgehammer. I found my old SLR to be too inconvenient for a lot of that and had been carrying a cheap point-and-shoot instead, so the PEN was a good compromise. With a pancake it's too small to be in the way, and even with it and both lenses they fit in this small bag: http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/zoom-small-2014.html

That being said, I didn't realize the OM-Ds were that small. I guess the viewfinder balloons the LxWxD measurements. Figures there's a site that offers direct comparison of camera sizes. Is there much difference between the M10 and M5 other than "weatherproofing"?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Borachon posted:

I picked up the X-E1 and 18-55mm kit lens a few months ago to start being a bit more intentional about photography as opposed to just snapping pictures. I've loved the combination, since it's been good for getting a better feel for focal lengths, shutter speeds, and apertures. Most of my photos have been around town, so they've mainly tended toward the the mid-to-long end of the 18-55's focal range.

Now that I'm a few months in and still going strong, I'm looking to pick up a few lenses before making a first trip to New York City and the first day or two of the U.S. Open at the end of the month. I've already ordered the 27mm as a walk-around lens; any suggestions on other lenses to pick up (either rent or buy?) for trip?

You want wide in NYC if you wanna shoot buildings. Look at the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 which will be great for architecture and landscape shots. I took it to Montreal and it was great to get upward facing shots of the buildings, should be great for NYC. Its only $320. Don't worry about the lack of AF, its so wide all you have to do is find the hyperfocal position and shoot (protip: infinity is not at the stop, but slightly before). I cant wait to take this lens to the Guggenheim museum.

Normal lens, 35mm f/1.4 is a lovely lovely lens and great for low light stuff. But since you already ordered the 27mm that might serve you just fine.

Really I think between the 12mm, 18-55mm, and the pancake for when you go out to socialize and not be the annoying photo geek, your needs should be covered.

My personal goal kit is the 12mm, the 35mm (will trade my sister for my 18-55mm), and 56mm f/1.2 (already owned this once, sold it because I decided it was still beyond me.)
That and my X100T and I don't think I will buy any more gear in years to come.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hot drat, better start putting in for overtime!
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/panasonic_leica_dg_100_400mm_f4.0_6.3/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

goddammit olympus make with the 300 prime already :argh:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spankmeister posted:

Bryce Canyon is rly good too if you have the time.

I think Black Canyon of the Gunnison is legit cooler than the Grand Canyon, definitely swing by there if you're in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

the42ndtourist posted:

Is there much difference between the M10 and M5 other than "weatherproofing"?
The M10 has a built in flash and WiFi. I use the WiFi more than I thought I would as it turns your phone into a remote. The M10 also had a firmware workaround for a shutter vibration issue that the M5 may have. The issue is probably overblown as the result of internet forum discussion anyway.

The M10 is also slightly smaller since that seems to be a priority for you.

Edit: your old batteries are compatible with the M10, although the battery chargers are supposedly not interchangeable due to an extra contact on the new battery.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 17, 2015