Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty much every MRA is a bad day and a cache of ammo away from being a spree shooter tbh

Yeah most manosphere hangouts on the internet are an endless deluge of Wound Collectors exchanging stories about said wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/13/cuckservative-republicans-conservatives-jeb-bush

The Guardian posted:

The term “cuckservative” caught the eye of puzzled observers this week amid the froth of commentary floating around the race to become the Republican nominee for president in 2016.

It has been dubbed a sign of a “raging civil war” tearing the Republican party apart, “the GamerGate” of white supremacists, and a meme expressing “a certain kind of contempt”. But the dictionaries have yet to step in, leaving readers to take it apart more or less on their own.

Yesssssss

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coolie Ghost posted:

Holy poo poo I knew about Sodini but this one is even crazier. A (regrettably) pro click. I can't imagine how the evolutionary study of altruism can explain this and other related mass shootings. Sodini and Rodger both had the common thread of being terrified of being virgins forever (even though Sodini was an aging man who had actually had sexual relationships in the past but thought of himself as "over the hump" and doomed to a lack of sex forever afterwards). I bet if this guy had the internet we'd see similar themes. Is it an ideological action? Is it poor context and generalization skills? Other MRAs considered people like Rodgers and Sodini to be "relatable" in terms of their motives and in fact praised them.

Is there any DE overlap with these kinds of reactions?
I guess that depends on what you file under DE (and overlap). IIRC Heartiste framed Rogers as something women brought upon themselves, and he's more DE than MRA.

Ha ha drat.

Okay, I got to admit - I don't know to what degree Rogers was an MRA. He may have been.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Okay, I got to admit - I don't know to what degree Rogers was an MRA. He may have been.

Rodger.

And he was more of the PUA persuasion, seeing as his hangup was his own virginity, not on politics. Classical MRAs are middle aged men burned by a bad divorce.

It's a subtle distinction in practice, though, since both stem from resentment over not having power over women. I think that trying to divide them by trendy web acronyms or by their own identification is an exercise in futility. Basically, misogyny is resentment over not having power over women, and the PUA/Loveshy types are a subset of that who are specifically resentful over not having sexual power over women. They're really all the same beast, but there are enough features specific to the subset to make it a useful distinction.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

What Moldbug is trying to say here is, I assume, that ethics are subjective - he is using "aesthetics" as a smartass way of saying "personal preferences".
I'm sure he claims the contrary somewhere, but it thus becomes clear Moldbug has not read Kant or Plato either, otherwise he ... wouldn't.

I remember there was an NRx who had a really really massive huge hateboner for Immanuel Kant, seemingly entirely because John Derbyshire said he was wrong about geometry. Can't remember who it was, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I remember there was an NRx who had a really really massive huge hateboner for Immanuel Kant, seemingly entirely because John Derbyshire said he was wrong about geometry. Can't remember who it was, though.

Ayn Rand had a huge resentful hateboner for Kant because she couldn't understand him, calling him a nihilist because he didn't believe what she did. Hating Kant is a huge Rand fanboy red flag.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pope Guilty posted:

Ayn Rand had a huge resentful hateboner for Kant because she couldn't understand him, calling him a nihilist because he didn't believe what she did. Hating Kant is a huge Rand fanboy red flag.

So that's where Muir got "Kantian nihilism"?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those Kantian nihilists, always giving up Jews hiding in the attic to any old nazi policeman who asks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Stultus Maximus posted:

So that's where Muir got "Kantian nihilism"?

Indeed it is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pope Guilty posted:

Actual fact: The word nihilism was popularized by a critic of Kant

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I once read a review on Metal Archives that used loving Iced Earth to launch a diatribe about how Kant was the worst person ever and how Kant ruined everything. Written by a Randroid of course.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Scott is Charles Lindberghing again

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/08/13/figureground-illusions/

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Woolie Wool posted:

I once read a review on Metal Archives that used loving Iced Earth to launch a diatribe about how Kant was the worst person ever and how Kant ruined everything. Written by a Randroid of course.
ahahahaha oh my god

There's no point in quoting from it; just read the thing.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ahahahaha oh my god

I'm generally not looking to nitpick every single verse of every single song on a record album for ideology purity when I listen to it.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Yer gay Jewish SF neoreactionaries swear they are nothing whatsoever like those awful lumpen alt-right neo-Nazis using the jargon (I'm watching some on Tumblr attempt to disassociate themselves from the alt-right's memetic success with "cuckservative"), except of course there's a completely filled-out continuum from one to the other, they all exchange jargon and ideas and they have interchangeable views

Please point me to my fellow gay Jews so I can boggle at where they went wrong.

I just... How? In the venn diagram of gays, Jews, and San Franciscans, the overlap surely equals "super liberal". How do you defy the demographics that strongly?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Curvature of Earth posted:

This would involve outing people, so I'll have to demur. There's >1 in the small cluster thereof however. Despite the vicious homophobia in NRx.

Moldbug is a non-gay SF Jew, so it's not like this is implausible.

I just... How? In the venn diagram of gays, Jews, and San Franciscans, the overlap surely equals "super liberal". How do you defy the demographics that strongly?

Because everything is better with libertarianism!

If there isn't a :1edgy3me: smilie there should be.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

I've never heard of the group on the right.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Count Chocula posted:

Oh boy

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ahahahaha oh my god

I'm disappointed though. That one wasn't the one with his rant about Kant. It did have a real howler, though, when he said his beef with the boot-licking glorification of American militarism on that album was that Jon Schaeffer's patriotism isn't selfish enough.

E: Apparently he rewrote it. The old review was much longer and more pretentious and went on for pages about the ideological evils of Kant. I'm crushed. Such a monument to bad writing and fake intellectualism deserves to be preserved as a warning to future generations.

From searching the review forums I was able to recover a snippet that got posted on the Metal Archives forums from someone who basically tore the review a new rear end in a top hat:

hells_unicorn (yes, that's his name) posted:

"However, the ugliest of all the philosophical contradictions in this album come alive with the lyrically nebulous “Hollow Man”. The casual reader of philosophy might think this a sort of homage to irrational Existentialist thinkers like Kierkegaard, but I see a much darker person as the subject of worship in this song, the original villain of western thought, Immanuel Kant. It is no surprise that the only song that doesn’t deal directly with historical events is the one that reveals the hand that guides Schaffer’s work here, as Kant’s hand is in the thoughts of nearly every post-Enlightenment thinker, save the Objectivists and his intellectual opponents in the Catholic Church, particularly Thomists like myself. Every evil ideology that has poisoned Western Civilization since the end of the Enlightenment can be traced back to him, be it Communism, Fascism, Nazism, or other brand of tyranny by way of altruistic manipulation of values and thought. The first ingredient in subverting a population is to associate suffering with enlightenment, as this song seems most willing to do, and once a populous hates knowledge, they are easily manipulated by those whom still possess it. Immanuel Kant knew this as he poisoned the minds of the people he taught with the viewpoint that reason was impotent, and his bastard progeny of witch-doctors emboldened a new generation of Attila-like despots such as Lenin, Hitler and Mao to re-define the meaning of the word tyranny and to rain blood upon the earth. I can’t fully blame Jon Schaffer for allowing this kind of influence into his thinking, because Kant is the master of all our public schools, he is everywhere except for a few crevices of resistance in the realm of private study. Many say he was the greatest thinker of the late 18 century, and that maybe, but he may have also been the anti-Christ. (figuratively speaking)".
:stonk:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Aug 16, 2015

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I thought Iron Pill was ironic until I read that Tumblr. Now I am uncertain...

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KiteAuraan posted:

I thought Iron Pill was ironic until I read that Tumblr. Now I am uncertain...

They're basically the brownies of politics. It started out semi-ironic but quickly became a very real and very stupid thing.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Depends on wealth - if they're rich, or really think they should be, "libertarian" is also quite likely.

Also, I'd be surprised if Jews are heavily represented in the Dork Enlightenment as a whole, but we're looking at the figureheads and intellectual leaders here, and basically the only cultural development where Jews haven't been overrepresented in the leadership is actual anti-semitism. (Even anti-zionism has some pretty impressive Jewish voices.)

More on Jews and the neo-reaction: while there are certainly anti-semitic under- and often overtones in this part of the wilderness, it's not as prevalent and universal as e.g. hatred of feminism or blacks. For example, Roosh may be the usual kind of anti-semite, I don't think MRA proper is antisemitic (although there's probably a lot of overlap with antisemitism of the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy school).
Here is even Paul Elam claiming there are "significant Jewish MRAs": http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/government-tyranny/politics-and-mens-rights/?site_switch=normal#comment-88664 (in a very angry response to an anti-semite and Cultural Marxism conspiracy theorist). And when he says "I'm not a Jew", it's entirely factual and not defensive.
Here is a piece on the holocaust: http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/srebrenica-remembered/
Of course, it is instrumentalised in the usual way - the Holocaust primarily targeted men, and wasn't nazi persecution a bit like feminism?, etc; but it's a far cry from holocaust denial.

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Aug 16, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

associate suffering with [good things]
Actually that sounds pretty Christian to me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Mother Theresa would be down.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

But he's simultaneously Catholic and a Randroid, you see, so of course it's pure evil to accept being inconvenienced for the sake of other people. Also his whole critique of the album's ideology makes no sense because the album in question has nothing to do with Kant and its primary ideology is "MERICA is the greatest country on earth, :911: NEVAR FORGET, support are troops, Dick Cheney's cock is so tasty in my mouth!"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

But he's simultaneously Catholic and a Randroid, you see.
My head now hurts.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

My head now hurts.

Again, he's attacking a strawman of this album he pulled straight out of his rear end because the real one is just a simplistic glorification of America's military victories and national symbols mixed in with post-9/11 sentimental diarrhea.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Count Chocula posted:

Sounds very like the neofolk scene, industrial musicians with acoustic guitars who swear they aren't Nazis honest they just like the pagan symbolism and occultist aesthetic of the swastika. Then Boyd Rice proudly names them all as sharing his nationalist views and an entire subculture cringes.

[why yes I do own a Boyd Rice record and went to see him live once and goddamn it's annoying we can't pretend he never existed]

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Depends on wealth - if they're rich, or really think they should be, "libertarian" is also quite likely.

Also, I'd be surprised if Jews are heavily represented in the Dork Enlightenment as a whole, but we're looking at the figureheads and intellectual leaders here, and basically the only cultural development where Jews haven't been overrepresented in the leadership is actual anti-semitism. (Even anti-zionism has some pretty impressive Jewish voices.)

More on Jews and the neo-reaction: while there are certainly anti-semitic under- and often overtones in this part of the wilderness, it's not as prevalent and universal as e.g. hatred of feminism or blacks. For example, Roosh may be the usual kind of anti-semite, I don't think MRA proper is antisemitic (although there's probably a lot of overlap with antisemitism of the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy school).
Here is even Paul Elam claiming there are "significant Jewish MRAs": http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/government-tyranny/politics-and-mens-rights/?site_switch=normal#comment-88664 (in a very angry response to an anti-semite and Cultural Marxism conspiracy theorist). And when he says "I'm not a Jew", it's entirely factual and not defensive.
Here is a piece on the holocaust: http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/srebrenica-remembered/
Of course, it is instrumentalised in the usual way - the Holocaust primarily targeted men, and wasn't nazi persecution a bit like feminism?, etc; but it's a far cry from holocaust denial.

Asians and Jews score well on IQ tests, so the reactos have to let them into the clubhouse.

Jews are definitely the wildcard though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Anissimov shows hum-eur, telling a joke and bantering with fellow shitlords ... I am confused.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Easy with that joke Mr Anissimov it's an antique, been in my family for generations :v:

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Count Chocula posted:

You are in for a treat. The Order of Nine Angles is a radical satanic "organization" created by David Myatt. I think it only consists of angry people yelling online. They claim by engaging in acts like culling the weaker races, surviving alone in the wilderness for a month, committing acts of heinous violence, etc that they reach a higher state of consciousness that allows them to contact higher powers called acausal entities. They're hardcore anti-semites who think the jews created black people in a plot to control the pure white man. I think that's right. I may be getting my racists mixed up. They also believe that one day they will have their small tribes crewing spaceships that travel the stars in order to spread the glory of white people everywhere.

So basically: Nazi Satanists that Want to go to SPAAAAAACE

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So bizarro Nation of Islam?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Has anyone successfully run a gay fascist gimmick on NRx?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Phobophilia posted:

isn't that basically Yiannopoulis' shtick?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Phobophilia posted:

Jack Donovan. He's a gay neo-nazi dude who fetishizes ultra-masculine warrior cultures from antiquity. He refuses to call himself gay and instead uses the term "androphile" because current gay culture is too feminized for his tastes.

He is actually more insane than I'm making him sound but I don't have all night

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Jack Donovan. He's a gay neo-nazi dude who fetishizes ultra-masculine warrior cultures from antiquity. He refuses to call himself gay and instead uses the term "androphile" because current gay culture is too feminized for his tastes.

He is actually more insane than I'm making him sound but I don't have all night

Oh boy I remember him from a different thread a while ago, he's hilarious. If you read Oglaf, he's basically the one with those two gruff ultra-manly warrior dudes super-manly-manfucking each other. Except he's not actually that manly.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Anissimov endorses Trump, so it's in the bag for The Donald.

hbd nrx ‏@HbdNrx 4 hours ago
@MikeAnissimov I'm a fan. What do you say to those NRxers who are opposed to any political involvement/opinions on anti-democratic grounds?

hbd nrx ‏@HbdNrx 4 hours ago
@MikeAnissimov I'd say that immigration and preserving the people is a more pressing concern, at least. More third worlders->faster decline

Zenit ‏@MikeAnissimov 4 hours ago
@HbdNrx I understand that POV and before this election I resolved to stay out of it but then I got too excited about Trump

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I want The Dark Enlightenment to compile a list of its highest ranking members's IQ scores in order to easily settle any and all disagreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think as long as you're white, they aren't going to quibble about who should lead the movement. They've got a gentleman's agreement to paper over the irreconcilable parts of their philosophies until after they've killed the rest of us.