Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

caberham posted:

2A or bust. Hopefully USB spec 3.1 C will make this concern a thing of the past

Most Android phones from the last 12 months or so also now support "Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0," which will do a great job charging your phone. If your phone supports this then make sure to get a charger that talks that protocol (and there are also a couple battery bricks that support this). It's nice for topping off your phone during a layover, because you'll get a lot more charge out of the 20 minutes or so you're sitting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Some of those mass charging stations don't even supply enough power to use any of those standards anyway. Some places are pretty alright but you can still get crappy charges at the airport or hotel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Some of those mass charging stations don't even supply enough power to use any of those standards anyway. Some places are pretty alright but you can still get crappy charges at the airport or hotel.

I wouldn't trust someone else's charger anyway; a few years ago some kids at Georgia Tech doctored an iPhone charger to drop an exploit whenever a phone was plugged into it and I've seen modified USB charge stations (the ones that have every type of plug on them) with a computer on the back end that cheerfully exploits any vulnerable phone plugged into it. You're more secure with your own wall wart or battery pack - charge the battery pack from a suspect power source and then charge your phone from the battery pack if you're worried enough about it.

And no, the hotel or airport doesn't care about your phone, but remember that it's not banks who put skimmers on ATMs either.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

I wouldn't trust someone else's charger anyway; a few years ago some kids at Georgia Tech doctored an iPhone charger to drop an exploit whenever a phone was plugged into it and I've seen modified USB charge stations (the ones that have every type of plug on them) with a computer on the back end that cheerfully exploits any vulnerable phone plugged into it. You're more secure with your own wall wart or battery pack - charge the battery pack from a suspect power source and then charge your phone from the battery pack if you're worried enough about it.

And no, the hotel or airport doesn't care about your phone, but remember that it's not banks who put skimmers on ATMs either.

You can "protect" yourself with a USB condom which only allows the power pins to connect

http://syncstop.com/

But we are in the travel thread, everyone needs to bring a power pack, a phone, and some nice ear buds where ever they go

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
For adapters, I swear by Skross. Figure our where you're going, what you need for input/output, and whether you'll plug in anything more power hungry than a laptop charger. Some of their non-multi adapters are good up to something like 2200W, so they'll happily drive a hair dryer or a kettle.

The only beef I have with Skross is a dual-USB charger I got from them. When not under load, it whines like crazy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Skross looks really nice but too expensive. I just do the ghetto route and bring my own power strip and el cheapo generic travel adapter. With my power strip I can plug whatever home device I want. But it is way bulkier

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really like the Anker adapters for USB multi charging, and you can probably just replace the power plug cable if you are going overseas and don't need to pack an adapter at all.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I concur on the Anker multi-USB chargers. I've been using one of these exclusively for the past half year, and it just takes a standard C8 power cord as an input, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a C8 power cord for whatever country you're going to.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Just realized I will hit million miler on the last leg of my upcoming trip. Not sure if I should be excited or embarrassed.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I concur on the Anker multi-USB chargers. I've been using one of these exclusively for the past half year, and it just takes a standard C8 power cord as an input, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a C8 power cord for whatever country you're going to.

C8 is the receptacle, C7 is the plug. That being said, this is an awesome suggestion and something I might look into building for my travel pack for next year. Already got the plugs from before and my last trip scheduled for the year happening next week. Having a kid due in Nov. is cramping my travel for Q4. :)

Also, Global entry update, took about a week to get my application reviewed, was able to schedule my interview at DFW on the day I wanted, but going to review it now puts appointments well over a month out. So, if you're on the fence go ahead and get it in the system so you can schedule at your convenience since getting a slot seems difficult.

That being said, looks like the appointments are only 15 minute slots, so I'm hoping it'll be quick. You guys said I should be able to use it immediately correct? Cause I'm going from appointment to London and back the following week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ufsteph posted:

Just realized I will hit million miler on the last leg of my upcoming trip. Not sure if I should be excited or embarrassed.

Eh, might as well enjoy it though I figure I'll do both.

I have heard a guy's 1MM status announced on a segment before, maybe they'll do that for you!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FunOne posted:

C8 is the receptacle, C7 is the plug. That being said, this is an awesome suggestion and something I might look into building for my travel pack for next year. Already got the plugs from before and my last trip scheduled for the year happening next week. Having a kid due in Nov. is cramping my travel for Q4. :)

This was the cheapest one I could find on Amazon, for $5.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPZC24Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They don't seem to have many options. And Monoprice doesn't sell them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

This was the cheapest one I could find on Amazon, for $5.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPZC24Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They don't seem to have many options. And Monoprice doesn't sell them.

Found this earlier.

http://www.sfcable.com/iec-c7-power-cords.html

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have heard a guy's 1MM status announced on a segment before, maybe they'll do that for you!

FCO - CLT...free wine and beer for everyone ;)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nice! I was having trouble because no one likes to refer to the ends by the proper name. Instead it will be described as "euro power cord."

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Centurion Lounge at SFO is pretty nice. Could easily get wasted here if I wanted to.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Planning some travel around the US with a colleague who's flying in from Japan, and he's nixing segments because they're on Airbus planes and not Boeing. what the poo poo

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A buddy of mine recently took his 500th ERJ-145 flight and the captain made an announcement about it, pretty nifty.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

Planning some travel around the US with a colleague who's flying in from Japan, and he's nixing segments because they're on Airbus planes and not Boeing. what the poo poo

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going. :colbert:

Really the stupidest argument.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

FunOne posted:

Also, Global entry update, took about a week to get my application reviewed, was able to schedule my interview at DFW on the day I wanted, but going to review it now puts appointments well over a month out. So, if you're on the fence go ahead and get it in the system so you can schedule at your convenience since getting a slot seems difficult.

That being said, looks like the appointments are only 15 minute slots, so I'm hoping it'll be quick. You guys said I should be able to use it immediately correct? Cause I'm going from appointment to London and back the following week.

Yes, you can use it as soon as you get the email. Interview was really fast, although the officer was surprised at how young I was.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Mackieman posted:

took his 500th ERJ-145 flight

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Wouldn't wish that upon anyone...

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

At least for 50-seat regional jets the ERJ lets you get the seats with no neighbors, versus the CRJ-200 where every seat is terrible.

But yeah, I hope they phase out the 50-seaters soon, because ERJ-145 is by far my most flown aircraft and I don't want to end up hitting 500 either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Are they an employee of a T1 Boeing supplier or something?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I fly a pretty decent amount on the ERJ-145 (my last 4 segments have been on one) and I rather like it, at least as far as smaller regional jets go. I tend to book far enough in advance and most of the routes I seem to fly on aren't particularly full, so I always manage to get a solo seat. If you check in right on time, at least on United, 2A-4A always seem to be open. Whenever I'm flying regional I never seem to bring a carryon beside my backpack, so it's usually plane door opens, out the door immediately.

They're reasonably quiet up in the air but man those things sound like a bucket of bolts on the ground.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like the solo seat but it does kind of contort you in to a banana shape and I'm only 5'10. Fine for an hour, or an hour and a half. Significantly less fine for KGSO-KDFW, although a quick Google tells me they've switched that route to Mesa CRJ9s after the merger.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, the legroom is a tiny bit paltry (5'10" as well) but it's never really bothered me that much. I think the longest I've ever been on one was about 2h.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

At 6'5" I'm not really comfortable in any plane, but I can generally contort myself well enough in the solo seat as long as the person in front of me doesn't recline.

And yeah, most of my ERJ-145 flights are 45-90 minutes, so it's doable, but I did do a ~3 hour DEN-CLE in one once, and that was no fun.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going. :colbert:

Really the stupidest argument.

More like Scarebus. Am I right? :smug:

I guess I could see maybe having an issue for a big cross ocean flight given stuff that's happened over the past few years (and that'd be a big stretch) but why would they care for hops over land?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I'm flying to Toronto for business. I have a Nexus card (no iris scan) and Precheck - how soon before my flight should I get to my home airport / to the Toronto airport for my return flight?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

turing_test posted:

I'm flying to Toronto for business. I have a Nexus card (no iris scan) and Precheck - how soon before my flight should I get to my home airport / to the Toronto airport for my return flight?

Depends entirely upon what airport you're departing out of and what time your flight is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pearson early in the morning to the US is a shitshow, but you should be in and out pretty quickly with Nexus. You can get to your home airport whenever, since you'll have customs in Toronto. On the way back, you will clear customs at Pearson, so allow a little more time there.

Bishop is fine in my experience, except the ferry fucks with at times.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Mackieman posted:

Depends entirely upon what airport you're departing out of and what time your flight is.

Totally forgot there were two airports - I'm flying out of Logan and into Bishop.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pissingintowind posted:

Centurion Lounge at SFO is pretty nice. Could easily get wasted here if I wanted to.

Anyone been to the one in LGA? I'll be passing through there next week and I wonder if it's worth hitting the Centurion room over the Sky Club. Flying Delta so I'd have to take the terminal bus after I'm done drinking.

turing_test posted:

Unless they changed it, I thought you can't use the airport crossings with Nexus unless you've enrolled an iris scan?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are they an employee of a T1 Boeing supplier or something?

Nope, they are an airfan or whatever the hell you call people that take millions of photos of airplanes.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Unless they changed it, I thought you can't use the airport crossings with Nexus unless you've enrolled an iris scan?

It seems like you either need to present your NEXUS card or get your iris scanned, but not both.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bishop is fine in my experience, except the ferry fucks with at times.

The pedestrian tunnel to the island finally opened about 2 weeks ago so you don't have to bother with the ferry anymore.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I don't think it's your choice though. I don't like guessing, but last time I knew airports in Canada use the iris scan, everywhere else uses your card. Also, some airports in Canada have dedicated lines and Pre-Check like screening if you show your physical card.

While both Toronto airports offer the shorter lines, it appears only Pearson does the Pre-Check like screening.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Nope, they are an airfan or whatever the hell you call people that take millions of photos of airplanes.

the loving worst

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Uncle Jam posted:

Desperately in need of a better hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the loving worst

I enjoy avgeekery too, and have been known to snap photos of interesting aircraft and such, but I try not to be a pretentious douche about it. I do know people, though, who are so goddamn nerdy about that stuff that they start spouting off about Airbus vs. Boeing and other painfully stupid poo poo. Thankfully, there are usually beers around to drown out the stupid.