Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was thinking of doing it as an idle just-in-case while Windows 10 was free, but my rationale is slim enough that I think I won't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

japtor posted:

Not sure about 10 but in the past it didn't seem too hard from what I've read, the caveat (for this easy method at least) was that you needed a TB drive so it'd be pricey.

I have this exact setup with 8.1 on an external TB drive, works great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2012 iMac has shut down randomly twice in the past few weeks. I never hear the fan going nuts or anything, in fact the fans never go on and the computer is running cool to the touch. When it shuts down pressing the power button does nothing but after waiting about a minute the power button works again. I already did the Apple Hardware Test and it found no problems. Is there anything else I should try before bringing it to Fruit?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 16, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

My 2012 iMac has shut down randomly twice in the past few weeks. I never hear the fan going nuts or anything, in fact the fans never go on and the computer is running cool to the touch. When it shuts down pressing the power button does nothing but after waiting about a minute the power button works again. I already did the Apple Hardware Test and it found no problems. Is there anything else I should try before bringing it to Fruit?

SMC / PRAM reset for the Hell of it.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Not like you have spare RAM hanging around to try, but it could be the RAM. If it's too expensive to "fix" that's worth a shot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Could also be a bad power supply, bad sensor somewhere, faulty logic board.. Might even be dust keeping a fan from spinning at the proper speed.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SMC/PRAM is a good bet. The real question is if it is shutting down or if the display is going black.

I'd recommend fruit stand.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I do remote work on Windows software on my 15" rMBP, so I have Parallels VMs of like *every* version of windows, because my company is insane and wants to support XP and 32-bit Vista in the year 2015. This is also my personal laptop for around the house, so with all of my VM snapshots the 512GB SSD is starting to get pretty tight. What I'd like to do is shunt off some of my lesser-used VMs to an external drive. I know there will be a performance hit, but it's actually pretty lightweight Windows software so I think this isn't totally insane.

I'm basically curious if I can maximize performance by picking thre *right* external hard drive. Should I go with USB? Thunderbolt? Ideally I'd like a drive that doesn't require its own power cable plugged into the wall so I can use it more easily on the go, but if this is going to kill performance I'd be willing to consider otherwise.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
See if you can still get one of those Seagate Thunderbolt adapters and just get another SSD, it's all bus-powered and if you get a good SSD the performance hit won't be as dramatic.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you considered remote/cloud VMs?

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009
There shouldn't be a big performance difference between thunderbolt or USB 3 SSD's. It is more dependent on the make and model of the SSD and the controller, so look for some reviews.

Samsung has a pretty nice one It shouldn't actually cost you that much performance compared to the internal SSD.

Confusion fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 16, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a really old (09ish) Macboook pro that works fine for most of what I need it for, so I'm probably not going to replace it any time soon. I like to play the occasional indie game though and my computer is so old that none of my specs are listed on Steam or anything. I know very little about PC gaming, but is it safe to assume it can't run almost anything anymore? Or is it possible my graphics card/processor is just never listed on game sites?

It's a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I put 8gb of ram in it while back too.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Thanks for the responses all. I don't think cloud VMs are really the solution I want -- partly because I just hate cloud poo poo and partly because of travel/planes. The Samsung ones seem to review very well so I'll probably get something like that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I have a really old (09ish) Macboook pro that works fine for most of what I need it for, so I'm probably not going to replace it any time soon. I like to play the occasional indie game though and my computer is so old that none of my specs are listed on Steam or anything. I know very little about PC gaming, but is it safe to assume it can't run almost anything anymore? Or is it possible my graphics card/processor is just never listed on game sites?

It's a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I put 8gb of ram in it while back too.
Got any examples of games you're thinking of? I remember playing Lost Planet way back at poo poo settings, and DMC4 was better on it. I think 2D sprite based games would be ok, while with 3D it'll depend how complex the engines are and how low the settings go (and what you're willing to deal with). I'm guessing it's just old enough that no one tests compatibility but hopefully it'd still work and not be blacklisted or anything. Try some demos v:shobon:v

MrChupon posted:

Thanks for the responses all. I don't think cloud VMs are really the solution I want -- partly because I just hate cloud poo poo and partly because of travel/planes. The Samsung ones seem to review very well so I'll probably get something like that.
Yeah you should be fine as long as you stick them on a SSD. TB would be nice but USB 3 is fast enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Specifically I'd like to try This War of Mine. Yeah I usually just use it for sprite based stuff and it works fine for that. I think the last 3d game it ran decently was Amnesia.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I guess this possibly could be posted in software as well but I think I'll post here.

How long does Mac OSX continue to support older hardware?

I have a Late 2008 Macbook which has Yosemite.. wondering if I'll make it for El Capitan and another couple updates after that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lol internet. posted:

I guess this possibly could be posted in software as well but I think I'll post here.

I have a Late 2008 Macbook which has Yosemite.. wondering if I'll make it for El Capitan and another couple updates after that.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/190744/which-macs-are-compatible-with-os-x-10-11-el-capitan

You should be OK

Apple supports OS X on older hardware generally as long as they can, in my experience...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not really just down to time, the OS support has extended back a long time recently because the machines with 64-bit UEFI happened so soon after the move to Intel (at least that's why I think we've seen this compatibility for new OS releases extend so far back). El Capitan seems to be compatible with everything that Yosemite is, so you should be fine with a 2008 MacBook.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lol internet. posted:

In general they've been pretty good. There are some features that won't port back however.

For example, the Connectivity feature where you can SMS and get calls from your iPhone on your Mac won't work unless you have a Bluetooth 4.0 chip, which anything other than ~2012 won't. Also they aren't supporting Windows 10 in anything older than 2012 models either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Specifically I'd like to try This War of Mine. Yeah I usually just use it for sprite based stuff and it works fine for that. I think the last 3d game it ran decently was Amnesia.
Dang, the GPU min requirements listed are off the top of my head roughly 2-3x faster I think, and it said 512MB iirc. It might work but there's only one way to tell, my concern (besides performance) is if it just goes "system requirements not met" and won't even let you try. Can't seem to find other people trying it on that GPU either, maybe just ask the devs?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking it's not going to work. I'll probably just wait until it hits consoles or iPhone hopefully . Can't believe my phone can run poo poo my computer can't lol.

It sucks there is an iOS version but it's iPad only. Maybe I need to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap new computer anyways. Been eyeing MacBook airs for a while.

On that note, how old could I go with a used MacBook Air without losing too much longevity and what is the best way to get a good deal. Refurb?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Thanks. Insane how it's been 7 years already and a upgrade to SSD makes a huge difference.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking it's not going to work. I'll probably just wait until it hits consoles or iPhone hopefully . Can't believe my phone can run poo poo my computer can't lol.

It sucks there is an iOS version but it's iPad only. Maybe I need to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap new computer anyways. Been eyeing MacBook airs for a while.

On that note, how old could I go with a used MacBook Air without losing too much longevity and what is the best way to get a good deal. Refurb?
Yeah I saw that there were mobile versions so I figured it might scale down enough for the 9400M just based on that.

For the MBA I probably wouldn't go older than the HD5000 models, which would be the 2013s (while 2014 was just a speed bump update afaik). Looking at the refurb store right now the main issue is finding one with 8GB, the cheapest one is an 11" with 512GB around $1200-1300, everything below that is 4GB.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

In general they've been pretty good. There are some features that won't port back however.

For example, the Connectivity feature where you can SMS and get calls from your iPhone on your Mac won't work unless you have a Bluetooth 4.0 chip, which anything other than ~2012 won't. Also they aren't supporting Windows 10 in anything older than 2012 models either.

Actually both the SMS and call stuff works on my 2011 MBP, although I can't use any of the other handoff type features. I've been thinking of upgrading the Bluetooth chip for those, though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Can we talk 4K+ displays? If anyone's been down this road- any way to convince OS X to span/combine my two side-by-side displays so that I can easily full-screen mode to them as one?

I have early 2013 15" rmbp, and I wanted a little more screen real estate, so I picked up a Samsung 28" UHD display that does picture in picture- which is necessary so you can get 60hz across two sad laptop display outputs. Fun new facts about HiDPI displays in the era of older HDMI and DisplayPort:
- The HDMI port will output the full 3840 x 2160 and all HiDPI modes, but will only do so at 30Hz (~15fps) all modes look great as a still, but only 1280x720 low res will do 60Hz.
- Using a MDP to DisplayPort adapter: can't output greater than 2560x1440 on this machine, but will do 60Hz. Sadly that's blurry at this res.
- An MDP to HDMI adapter has the above combined limitations, if you were thinking of going "double HDMI"

Solution: Using picture in picture side by side, a combination of mini DisplayPort at 1920x2160 and the HDMI port at 1920x2160, will get you 3840x2160 at 60Hz, but they are separate vertical displays with different backgrounds. If you turn off "separate spaces", you can stretch your app across both displays, but the dock and menu bar are only on half of your monitor. You cannot use the HiDPI modes easily, so everything's tiny. The outputs also have a different color temperature, fixed for me by lowering the contrast to 45 left, 75 right.
- SwitchResX doesn't help much with this

Cool display for $450 otherwise!
Bottom line: After Effects at 3840x2160 at 28" right in front of my face is a goddamn productivity dream. Fullscreening video is a showstopper though.

vvv Sadly that article starts with Late 2013 rMBP; I've got the Early 2013.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 17, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
In theory your MBP supports 4K60 over MBP:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

Does that display have an option for MST mode?

Unrelated edit: MST got me thinking about MST hubs again, searching for a sec came across this:
http://www.startech.com/faq/mst_hubs_mac_osx_support

quote:

Will my MST hub work in Mac OSX?

Recent versions of DisplayPort include the ability to split to multiple displays from one DisplayPort connection using Multi-Stream Transport (MST).

Although you will be able to connect the MST hub to the Mini DisplayPort (mDP) connection on your Mac, Mac OSX does not support MST for NVIDIA and Intel Graphics Processor Units (GPUs). This results in a mirrored image across the outputs of a MST hub and you will not be able to have multiple independent displays on your Mac.

The limitation of NVDIA and Intel GPUs lies within Mac OSX. If a different operating system is used, such as Microsoft Windows via Bootcamp, you may be able to use the MST functionality of your Mac.

If your Mac has an AMD GPU, you can utilize the MST functionality in OSX.

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 17, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Yeah I saw that there were mobile versions so I figured it might scale down enough for the 9400M just based on that.

For the MBA I probably wouldn't go older than the HD5000 models, which would be the 2013s (while 2014 was just a speed bump update afaik). Looking at the refurb store right now the main issue is finding one with 8GB, the cheapest one is an 11" with 512GB around $1200-1300, everything below that is 4GB.

B&H has an early 2014 MacBook Air 13" i7/8gb/512gb for $1249 no tax & free shipping. I think that's the best deal around right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983540-REG/apple_z0p0_md7614_13_3_macbook_air_notebook.html

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kuskus posted:

Can we talk 4K+ displays? If anyone's been down this road- any way to convince OS X to span/combine my two side-by-side displays so that I can easily full-screen mode to them as one?

Bottom line: After Effects at 3840x2160 at 28" right in front of my face is a goddamn productivity dream. Fullscreening video is a showstopper though.

I started a new job that uses 5k iMacs for Pro Tools/ Avid MCP and I want to stay late in work so I don't have to go home and use my 13" non-Retina MBP :allears:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So my MagSafe adapter frayed at the block side of the cord. Will Apple replace it for free? I've got AppleCare on this machine.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

awesome-express posted:

So my MagSafe adapter frayed at the block side of the cord. Will Apple replace it for free? I've got AppleCare on this machine.

Yeah

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

awesome-express posted:

Please follow best practices while wrapping the cord:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201600

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

"You're holding it wrong"

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

"You're holding folding it wrong"

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I never wrap it like that. Anyway already exchanged my adapter Timb have my children

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kingnothing posted:

SMC/PRAM is a good bet. The real question is if it is shutting down or if the display is going black.

I'd recommend fruit stand.

I did SMC/PRAM reset and it has not shut down since.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

jesus loving christ. The moment you need to publish something like this it's time to redesign it to follow how actual humans pick up and use your product.

edit: seriously, I should't need a loving how to on how to plug in my computer.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
My favorite thing about that knowledge base article is that all the pictures look like they came from a slightly shady eBay listing. I half expected to see a cum stain in the background.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That or a shiny object reflecting a hairy naked dude.

It's very un-Apple to have photos instead of diagrams.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta posted:

I did SMC/PRAM reset and it has not shut down since.

And it shut down again. I'm going to pee on Jobs' grave after my appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

jesus loving christ. The moment you need to publish something like this it's time to redesign it to follow how actual humans pick up and use your product.

edit: seriously, I should't need a loving how to on how to plug in my computer.

How about not bending it at crazy angles for months/years slowly wearing it down, and using the little arms on it like no one does ever