Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Unormal posted:

*Added a new inhabitant to Joppa (meow)

I start to glow.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Man, I held down Move Right to get through a jungle clearing, and a Sower killed me because of the input buffer/because I wasn't really paying attention and was holding down Move instead of moving a space at a time, like any roguelike.

Every drat time I have a bioscanning bracelet, I do something dumb like that. Ugh. UGH.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Why don't people use 'w'alk? Use 'w'alk.

E: Alright, I have my fancy new cave systems rigged up so the entire 540,000 zone interior of Qud (counting only the first 30 depth levels) is a massive connected graph that's walkable.

E2: Fixed the RNG seeding between saves you scurvy precog-scumming dogs.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 17, 2015

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm playing a syzygyrior (new favorite) and found a dromad trader carrying a couple of fullerite daggers and a ton of other decent saleable loot. There was no way i was going to be able to afford any of it but with some judicious kiting i managed to draw the trader away from his guards, kill him, pick up his stuff and use it to kill the other dromads. Then I ran away from his giant turtles. Interestingly, when i went back to raid the pile for more stuff to sell the saltbacks had gone to neutral again, not sure if that's working as intended or not. Maybe I killed an NPC that gave me a bonus to tortoise reputation in the meantime, i guess i should have paid more attention to that. Anyway, a character with fullerite short blades, the relevant short blade talents and the entire dual wielding tree is like a walking blender.

Unormal posted:

E: Alright, I have my fancy new cave systems rigged up so the entire 540,000 zone interior of Qud (counting only the first 30 depth levels) is a massive connected graph that's walkable.

owns

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Unormal posted:

Because you can't (w)alk when there's a bird that hates you but doesn't hate you quite enough to come down and actually do anything about it anywhere onscreen. Those fuckers are common enough to get me out of the (w)alk habit for the most part.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
New short blade skills are really good, so good in fact that they carried me almost to the end (its almost on account of i got offed by some dawngliders on the way to the final mission because i thought blaze injectors made you immune to fire damage)

Rejoinder in particular is crazy good and single handedly makes dodge tanking worth it, its so good it even procs when you are frozen or asleep which is a really helpful feature.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gently caress, just lost a guy in Bethesda Susa because I fat fingered Space while applying a salve injector and it got injected twice, which cut off my healing and caused me to go confused and berserk. Is it possible for the dialogue box for injectors to close after applying one so this is less likely to happen? Alternatively, warn the player that they are about to inject a second injector while a first one is active (if they don't have the perk), but that might be asking too much.

Also, are there any one-handed crysteel cudgel weapons? I was finding battle axes, short swords, and long swords all over the place, but it took killing a unique honey bear to find a single two-handed crysteel maul.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

Also, are there any one-handed crysteel cudgel weapons? I was finding battle axes, short swords, and long swords all over the place, but it took killing a unique honey bear to find a single two-handed crysteel maul.

There are one handed weapons of every type at every tier. It's the 2handers that are harder to get.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

You can close doors now! :toot:

The UI is a bit hideous -- I may at some point move to a "push button -> which direction? -> display only objects in that direction" interface, which is more buttons to open the menu but less scrolling once it's open -- but this will suffice for testing.

This code is not special-purpose; any component on any entity can implement the frob() API to respond to queries about which actions it supports, and since the results aren't cached, it can decide on the fly which actions to present -- for example, doors will list "open" or "close" accordingly (or nothing, if they're open but blocked), but not both at once. This is the same code that will support the press-enter-on-an-inventory-item-to-bring-up-a-list-of-actions part of the inventory screen, for example.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

for example, doors will list "open" or "close" accordingly (or nothing, if they're open but blocked)

This caught my eye, hopefully you have an obvious indication that a door is blocked and that that's what's keeping it from closing, if the player gets no feedback about why they can't close a door.

Alternatively, I'm misinterpreting what you're saying (not intentionally I swear)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

This caught my eye, hopefully you have an obvious indication that a door is blocked and that that's what's keeping it from closing, if the player gets no feedback about why they can't close a door.

Alternatively, I'm misinterpreting what you're saying (not intentionally I swear)

Yeah, at the moment pressing enter near a blocked door just does nothing, which isn't ideal. It is at least visually obvious when the door is blocked because one of its tiles is showing something other than door.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

S.T.C.A. posted:

Man, I held down Move Right
Never do this in a roguelike.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Zereth posted:

Never do this in a roguelike.

Man, no kidding. I burnt myself out on DoomRL because the only two times I got to the Halls of Carnage I stood on the stairs and held down wait (so the map could fill with lava and kill everyone else, y'see), only to get bodied by a Cacodemon right outside that room.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Unormal posted:

E2: Fixed the RNG seeding between saves you scurvy precog-scumming dogs.

Will there be more variety for the lower levels rather than shale and crabs all the way down? I'm looking forward to those fabled.l chrome halls

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Will there be more variety for the lower levels rather than shale and crabs all the way down? I'm looking forward to those fabled.l chrome halls

Yeah, that's the eventual plan. Laying groundwork for some very cool stuff.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
man, treasure rooms in ruins are no joke. that's two characters in a row I lost because I just couldn't resist trying to kill that chaingun turret to get to the loot. there was a sparking baetyl and like 7 chests! but around the corner were two more chaingun turrets!

devious.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Goncyn posted:

man, treasure rooms in ruins are no joke. that's two characters in a row I lost because I just couldn't resist trying to kill that chaingun turret to get to the loot. there was a sparking baetyl and like 7 chests! but around the corner were two more chaingun turrets!

devious.

chaingun turrets are the tool of Shai'tan.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In that situation I just throw sower's seeds into the room until they're all dead. I blow up the loot but it makes me feel better

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Anyone else had an occurrence in Joppa where the warden kills the cat, which pisses the watervine farmer off who then charged the warden, presumably for revenge only to be blasted to pieces himself? It was pretty hilarious but also a pretty :wtc: moment as I had to restart the game because it pretty much shut me out of the beginning quest to red rock to avoid that whole business.

On the matter of this and the old CoQ, this one is ALOT more challenging. My standard artifex start is getting his rear end kicked with alot more regularity but I'm slowly trickling back into my old groove. Muskets are more important than ever in the early game, they give you a chance against the tougher enemies due to their lovely penetration value and good damage; and bullets are cheap and plentiful too ESPECIALLY if you manage to find a trader aside from the starter guy.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It seems like at least one in every six or so characters the quest giving water farmer will have some sort of questionable rep and be killed by the warden on turn one or two. I dont bother reloading or anything because i tend to skip the red rock quest anyway.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I think it would be cool if the bio-scanning bracelet also offered temperature readouts. I feel like freezing is a pretty important disable and knowing when it's going to come down would be nice for either trying reapply it or running away. Possibly OP?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Clever Spambot posted:

It seems like at least one in every six or so characters the quest giving water farmer will have some sort of questionable rep and be killed by the warden on turn one or two. I dont bother reloading or anything because i tend to skip the red rock quest anyway.

I used to skip red rock but now i'm way more likely to do it, even before weirdwire conduit, mostly because it's not that hard and the loot you get from the elder is so loving good.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

IronicDongz posted:

In that situation I just throw sower's seeds into the room until they're all dead. I blow up the loot but it makes me feel better

This is what EMP grenades are for. Shuts down the turrets for you to dismantle with your weapon of choice, no harm to the loot.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
I needed to kill off that last character anyway because I accidentally hit CTRL-X and leveled up to 25 or so ...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Y'know, years from now Qud will be feature complete, and despite all efforts Mehmet will still occasionally be murdered by the Warden.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
How do you access the debug noclip command? I ran into an asphalt mines with no down stairs on the surface.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

How do you access the debug noclip command? I ran into an asphalt mines with no down stairs on the surface.

Make a keybinding for it in the menu.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lprsti99 posted:

Make a keybinding for it in the menu.

Yeah, it's a valid command, just not initially bound to any key. Hit escape, edit the keybindings, and assign it to a key. Preferably one you won't hit accidentally.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, fixed the bug that has been preventing same-faction allies from caring too much when you murdered their bros/hos.

However, now things get real ugly when Mehmet & Ualraig have a disagreement over True Kin baby eating.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Unormal posted:

Well, fixed the bug that has been preventing same-faction allies from caring too much when you murdered their bros/hos.

However, now things get real ugly when Mehmet & Ualraig have a disagreement over True Kin baby eating.

RickVoid posted:

Y'know, years from now Qud will be feature complete, and despite all efforts Mehmet will still occasionally be murdered by the Warden.

It's really more of a feature than a bug at this point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

I'm sure you just gotta open Irudad's door to turn that around.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i've never actually aggrod irudad, can he take ualraig?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

i've never actually aggrod irudad, can he take ualraig?

He has a high level confusion on a short cooldown. He takes forever to beat up Ualraig with his walking stick but Ualraig is going to have about a million confusion stacks pretty quickly and thus won't be able to do anything useful.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Interesting. Is there a way to reliably train one of them onto the other or is it just essentially random faction hatreds like ualraig/mehmet?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The latter. No one minds if you join in when it happens, but sometimes Irudad decides to be a dick and confuse you both.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's a decent starting character for CoQ? I played a watervine farmer with a couple of mutations but then got murdered by the first enemy I encountered in Red Rock.

Also what's the deal with food? I walked to Red Rock and I ate like 3/4 of my food on the way there. Am I supposed to stock up on a bunch my first time in town? Or Gather it in the woods?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Eeyo posted:

What's a decent starting character for CoQ? I played a watervine farmer with a couple of mutations but then got murdered by the first enemy I encountered in Red Rock.

Also what's the deal with food? I walked to Red Rock and I ate like 3/4 of my food on the way there. Am I supposed to stock up on a bunch my first time in town? Or Gather it in the woods?

Gather it in the swamps initially, cause glowfish are guaranteed to drop corpses, are easy to kill, and provide great food and water.

After that, get Butchery for 50sp so you can butcher the corpses of...

Crocodiles!
Boars of all kinds, be they normal, two-headed, fire-spitting, or bullet-shooting!
Salthoppers, for their "chips," whatever the hell those are!
Bears!
Goats!
Goat-people!
Knoll-worms!
And more!

Or buy poo poo, either way. But butchery + glowfish are really easy. Once you get the hang of the game, it's not even a requirement, because you can feast on fallen Snapjaws as you explore the Rustwell surfaces to collect lovely wire for crazy Argyve.

Decent starting character:

Mutant
Strength 18
Agility 18
Toughness 20
Intelligence 16
Willpower 14
Ego 16

Take the physical defect Amphibious (seriously, bear with me here) then Carapace, Freezing Hands, Night Vision, Regeneration, and Thick Fur.

Pick Marauder.

There are probably better newbie combos, but this will help you learn the ropes. Max your mutations in this order: Freezing Hands first, then Carapace, then either max Regeneration or, if you're feeling like gambling, save 4 mutation points to get a new mutation. Your choice, Regeneration isn't super awesome at higher levels, but it does heal you up faster.

First thing, to do on EVERY character: Bind your abilities on the 'a'bility menu. Bind Sprint, Charge, and Freezing Hands. You're going to use Charge and Freezing Hands a lot. A whooole lot. Bind them now because if you're fighting and they're on cooldown, you're either doing it wrong or learned enough to not need this guide anymore and are saving each of them for ~tactical decisions~

Also, if you didn't bind it yet: bind rest till healed. Do that a lot. Use autoexplore a lot, too, and 'w'alk. Stupid flying things will gently caress with autoexplore and walk, like hostile flying glowmoths that never do anything to you, but still, get used to them. They make getting through ruins and the jungles a LOT safer and easier.

Next, loot the chests in Joppa (in the three houses where you can close the door so no one sees you, that is) just to get some extra crap. Don't scum them, you don't need to unless that's your thing. You're just getting some random crap, ideally a metal folding chair or some grenades to give to Argyve. Doesn't really matter.

Talk to the merchant if you want just to see what's there. If you managed to get items that Argyve wants, great, get your free level. Otherwise, pick one:

Super safe: Head south of Joppa on foot (not the overworld) 2 zones to hit the swamps, and walk around killing glowfish and glowpads to hit level 2 and to get food. Go east/west/south for more swamps, north is just back to Joppa. There's a chance you'll get the encounter where a tinker was using mechanical wings and smashed to the ground. You'll get a notice that you hear a huge smash, and somewhere there will be a 'meat pancake' or something, and a broken weird artifact which you can have Argyve repair and identify. Boom, wings. There are other encounters too. They're all pretty rare. Either way, once you're sick of killing these things or you picked up a level or two, you can get back to town faster with overworld travel.

Less safe, more loot to sell to Tam, can do this after the Super Safe start too: Go North of Joppa two zones, again on foot. Once you hit the canyons, start exploring and you'll find things like Snapjaws carrying loot to maybe get some better weapons, or at least have a bunch of lovely-value weapons you can opt to haul back to Tam, or you can not be a hoarder and just kill poo poo. You can continue on to Redrock either on foot or the overworld, but make sure to get two things to give to Argyve at some point. If you already did, I'd skip Redrock and head to the Rustwells via the overworld map to the east. You can 'l'look on the overworld map and inspect everything so you aren't travelling blindly, too.

Skill-wise, take Shortblades and Jab asap, find a dagger or other shortblade and put it in your offhand, and imo save for Dual-Wield first but it'll probably help you kill things if you take Whack, Trip, Dismember, and Cleave from the Axe tree first. Dual-Wield and Shortblade->Jab with Shortblade in your offhand is a solid combo that lets you pick whatever you want for your mainhand weapon; that said, you're a Marauder, do what you want! You love axes!

If you come across some Equimaxes and are feeliing ballsy (especially since Unormal is going to make this harder soon) you can use Freezing Hands pointblank on an Equimax to freeze it and start chopping at it. Keep an eye on its name: if it's frozen, it's literally frozen solid. Start running once it thaws, until you can shoot your freezing hands again. Repeat. You'll level up VERY quickly, if you don't get yourself killed. Once you can do this reliably (especially since Unormal is going to fix it so Equimax actually defend each other instead of not giving a poo poo and just watching you slaughter their horse families) consider yourself Pretty Decent At Cheesing Stuff With Freezing Hands.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 18, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can get some ok money trading meat, especially with all the random crap master butchery gives. You're basically guaranteed carbide tier longswords and shields if you're into that sort of thing, plus there's various other little things you can snag.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I have some kind of problem because in addition to being compelled to write walls of text like that last post, I cannot stop being a Psychometric Arconaut. I don't know why. This time I'm running Carapace/Freezing Hands/Heightened Hearing/Psychometry. Probably... kind of super boring, but I like it, and I like being able to explore ruins, especially with the new Lore skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

S.T.C.A. posted:

Next, loot the chests in Joppa (in the three houses where you can close the door so no one sees you, that is) just to get some extra crap. Don't scum them, you don't need to unless that's your thing. You're just getting some random crap, ideally a metal folding chair or some grenades to give to Argyve. Doesn't really matter.

The dromad merchant doesn't care if you loot his chest so that's 4.