Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

ME2 is like the best modern example of a game improving rather than diminishing a franchise by cutting off the fat (in this case a ton of boring redundant bullshit equipment, skills, and barren planets that only existed to make the game appear more like a traditional CRPG)

Games are different from most media in that sequels are almost always better because it usually means mechanical refinement and addition of new technical bells and whistles while delivering a similarly enjoyable story. Almost every game sequel is better than the previous iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Games are different from most media in that sequels are almost always better because it usually means mechanical refinement and addition of new technical bells and whistles while delivering a similarly enjoyable story. Almost every game sequel is better than the previous iterations.

While this point may hold true for many things, it unfortunately does not hold true for the second games in the Devil May Cry and Deus Ex series, or the third Serious Sam game, which they named Serious Sam 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

While this point may hold true for many things, it unfortunately does not hold true for the second games in the Devil May Cry and Deus Ex series, or the third Serious Sam game, which they named Serious Sam 2

Agreed on all counts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

some sequels fail because they just try to be bigger without making the original game any better and what was a focused experience becomes bloated and tedious. i would name examples but that would hurt feelings.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I know no one is trying to slaughter Deus Ex 2, The Invisible War, in this thread. However, I really feel like it needs to be said that if that game had come out with some of the cybernetic mechanics changed and in a different, or new franchise, it would be held in much higher regard today.

Kidney Thieves: The Night Club

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

hubris.height posted:

I know no one is trying to slaughter Deus Ex 2, The Invisible War, in this thread. However, I really feel like it needs to be said that if that game had come out with some of the cybernetic mechanics changed and in a different, or new franchise, it would be held in much higher regard today.

Kidney Thieves: The Night Club

Nah the mechanics and late-game level design would still be pretty lovely

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
unified ammo so that you can't use any cool weapons? yeah sounds like a good idea

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Fighting the Knights Templar through the streets of gay Paris while using my stealth cybernetics will always trump any complaints.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The guy who designed 2's engine left halfway through development so the game barely functions.

2 would be poo poo even if it wasn't Deus Ex. Hell it probably would be completely forgotten if it wasn't Deus Ex.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Fighting the Knights Templar through the streets of gay Paris while using my stealth cybernetics will always trump any complaints.

Dude, Deus Ex 2 is an awful game no matter what franchise it was associated with. The game exe closes and relaunches at every load screen. It's a barely functional mess, lol.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Invisible War being terrible isn't the mystery, the mystery is how Deus Ex 1 managed to avoid being terrible like everything else Ion Storm made.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
People give Thief 3 poo poo, but it's amazing how alright it was after Invisible War.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I never played Deus Ex when it came out and a couple years ago I decided to try it and I could not stick with it. I feel a great shame.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

Invisible War being terrible isn't the mystery, the mystery is how Deus Ex 1 managed to avoid being terrible like everything else Ion Storm made.
Anachronox was a good game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's good in the way of asymmetric team games nowadays? I used to love that HL2 mod--The Hunted I think?--and liked Depth for a while, and really really wish Evolve hadn't (apparently, I haven't tried it) turned out to be a pile of garbage

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jibo posted:

I never played Deus Ex when it came out and a couple years ago I decided to try it and I could not stick with it. I feel a great shame.

You quit at Liberty Island?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

You quit at Liberty Island?

If that is the place they dump you after training then yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
nsf001
smashthestate

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The finest 1998 had to offer is no longer adequate after nearly two decades of industry-wide gameplay refinement, whoda thunk it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Deus Ex has aged pretty well though? Like I played it years after it came out and it didn't feel that janky at all aside from the graphics and voice-acting.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I actually really enjoyed playing it for the first time last year, and I can clearly see how it was a step above other games from that time (and, narrative wise, many games today). I found the AI, inventory management, and combat to be horribly frustrating, though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just finished episode 1 of Tales From the Borderlands. It was funny, but it didn't really feel like a game. It felt very linear, like no matter what I said or did the exact same thing would happen, and I spent the vast majority of the time just watching. Does it get more interactive in the next episodes? I remember TWD having a little more autonomy.

Based on that episode I just don't really feel interested in continuing :(

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 17, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

In Training posted:

Dude, Deus Ex 2 is an awful game no matter what franchise it was associated with. The game exe closes and relaunches at every load screen. It's a barely functional mess, lol.

Oh yeah, the game was programmed with a number of startling problems. Outside of technical issues, though... As story, setting, and interesting things happening goes, it was good. I enjoyed the entire section in Egypt and the rich tower and poor streets.

I'm willing to grant that rose tinted glasses are part of my opinion on it, because recently trying to play it on windows 7 was a loving nightmare.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jibo posted:

If that is the place they dump you after training then yes.

I'm going to assume you mean the Tutorial training. Yeah, Liberty Island is what turns most people off from playing through the game. Give it until Hell's Kitchen, that's where the game either grabs you, or just doesn't. The high point is Hong Kong, but you probably won't like it too much if you don't like Hell's Kitchen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I've never bought a season pass before and i'm considering it for the witcher 3, are they usually still available after dlc starts coming out or do you have to buy in early to get the bundle discount? (ps4 if relevant)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

blue squares posted:

I just finished episode 1 of Tales From the Borderlands. It was funny, but it didn't really feel like a game. It felt very linear, like no matter what I said or did the exact same thing would happen, and I spent the vast majority of the time just watching. Does it get more interactive in the next episodes? I remember TWD having a little more autonomy.

The story within a story makes it less 'choose your own adventure' and more 'choose the spin on the adventure that happened'. The autonomy feels pretty much the same, but some of the choices in the later episodes feel more impactful.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Twitch plays Dark Souls.

Three days in and they still haven't made it out of the tutorial zone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ekster posted:

Twitch plays Dark Souls.

funny parody

multiple inputs need to be entered at the same time in a 3d action game to play it so its probably all a jole

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ekster posted:

Twitch plays Dark Souls.

That was never ever going to get anywhere and I'm surprised people are still at it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow that looks boring. Like at least with the pokemon one they were getting somewhere by this time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

blue squares posted:

I remember TWD having a little more autonomy.

You remembered wrong.

Tales from the Borderlands is a genuinely great series despite suffering from being from Telltale though. It's got some truly funny dialogue in there, just don't expect it to be something it's not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

The finest 1998 had to offer is no longer adequate after nearly two decades of industry-wide gameplay refinement, whoda thunk it.

MGS1 and SM64 are still good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

You remembered wrong.

Tales from the Borderlands is a genuinely great series despite suffering from being from Telltale though. It's got some truly funny dialogue in there, just don't expect it to be something it's not.

I meant more like in TWD you could walk around more, there were puzzles to solve. In Tales, I get control of the character in time to click one thing and then its back to watching. But I'll give the next episode a shot and see if I start getting more into it. Now that I know what to expect, maybe I will enjoy it more.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

I meant more like in TWD you could walk around more, there were puzzles to solve. In Tales, I get control of the character in time to click one thing and then its back to watching. But I'll give the next episode a shot and see if I start getting more into it. Now that I know what to expect, maybe I will enjoy it more.

I mean, I guess? It's been a while since I played TWD so maybe I'm remembering wrong but most of the puzzles in that game amounted to "Find the correct item in this two-room area to move on". Just seems like they've stopped pretending like they're adventure games like Sam and Max or Monkey Island and just accepted their role as "basically movies where occasionally you click something or do a QTE"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the puzzle sections in TWD are so "put the thing in the thing" simple that it's kind of obvious the development team just kind of implemented them as a roadblock to make you speak to characters and slow down the plot. So I'm okay with those being removed if they serve no purpose or don't do anything clever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Haven't played the game in a long time so I don't remember the specifics. Maybe you guys are right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

Maybe back in the SNES era. That hasn't been true for a while. A lot of sequel games actually have less content than the original, rarely in a good way. Or they go the other direction and add a lot of crap that detracts from the fun of the original.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I'm trying to identify an old strategy game for PC... it's was turn-based, and from what I remember, you had a home base, and then various towers that you would 'throw' across a battlefield to try to reach your opponent's base. It's not Creeper--it's older than that--but it was sort of in the same vein. I mostly don't remember because I was stoned most of the time I played it. Anyway, I'd LOVE to find out what it was so I could play it again. I lost my copy years ago.

BTW, it was a sci-fi themed game...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

tonytheshoes posted:

I'm trying to identify an old strategy game for PC... it's was turn-based, and from what I remember, you had a home base, and then various towers that you would 'throw' across a battlefield to try to reach your opponent's base. It's not Creeper--it's older than that--but it was sort of in the same vein. I mostly don't remember because I was stoned most of the time I played it. Anyway, I'd LOVE to find out what it was so I could play it again. I lost my copy years ago.

BTW, it was a sci-fi themed game...

Might have better luck here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Thanks! Searched for a thread like that, but didn't see it.

[edit] FOUND IT! It was Moonbase Commander. Boom.

• Locked thread