Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm not asking for 690 power just a little more on the low-end. I'd love a 690 SMC but they're a unicorns these days and no less than $8,000. I love this thing otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The JD jet kit and 3x3 mod with stock exhaust seems to have made mine pretty fun. $80 invested.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

kuffs posted:

The JD jet kit and 3x3 mod with stock exhaust seems to have made mine pretty fun. $80 invested.

Thats all I did too (besides cosmetics) and I love my wheelie tractor!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

You're never going to get 690 power, even getting close will make the bike an unreliable poo poo pile for more money than it would cost to sell it and buy a 690. You can't easily get a taller 5th gear, it'll be 2k in parts and labor to get it done by someone else. The 39mm flatslide adds more from sharper throttle response than it does power, and you can buy an absurdly loud exhaust for a grand to get 39.72 hp rather than 38.63.

Those 3 things together will run you about 3.5k plus labor to install the parts and tune the carb and you could have instead sold the DRZ and bought a 690 with a 6th gear, 20 more hp, better suspension, and lighter weight. Oh, and real gauges.

Either accept the DRZ for what it is, a cheerful super moto that doesn't intimidate anyone. When you want more power out of your DRZ the first step is to sell it.

Iirc Yoshimura RS2s (with headers) are less than 600. I can't see FCR39s being more than $500, but I have no idea what those (or jetting kits) cost. They're both very easy bolt-on parts that shouldn't take more than a saturday afternoon afternoon if you want to save like $300-$500 in labor.

Jetting might be a pain in the rear end, but so many people have done that exact setup that you can just google what needle combo you need. And your fuel/air screw can be accessed by a flathead screwdriver bit without removing anything.

Also 690s (around here) are invariably old, high mileage, and $7-9k.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 18, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm not asking for 690 power just a little more on the low-end. I'd love a 690 SMC but they're a unicorns these days and no less than $8,000. I love this thing otherwise

If you're looking for more on the low end you're gonna have even more trouble - all the mods tend to chase top end for that sweet peak HP number. Do the jet kit and 3x3 as a starting point, and realize that you're going to get only about that much improvement for each mod you do. Also, as a rule of thumb, louder exhausts bias power up, so leave the stock exhaust on if you want midrange.

Reasonable mileage and price 690 SMCs are out there you just have to be prepared to wait and / or ship one in from somewhere. If you want something with a bit more than a DRZ and are willing to tolerate a bit more weight, less power, find a SM instead.

The DRZ is a bike to love for what it is, as it is. As someone who dumped like 4k into a DRZ trying to make it a 690, it was dumb to do that. Thankfully I made it back when I parted the bikes out but still it was a lot of work that basically ruined the good things about the DRZ - that it was a cheap, cheerful motorcycle. I fell into the trap of "but it's just a few hundred bucks" as I acquired piles of stuff for the DRZ, eventually reaching around 4k in mods plus the 3-4k I could sell the DRZ for and that's when I parted it and bought my SMC.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want low end don't get an exhaust, or at the very least keep the stock header and do a slip on. There are only two good pipes for the drz, the MRD and the Yosh, and they both cut the low end to give more high end punch.

An fcr and full exhaust will give more power, and the bike will hit harder up high, but it will be at the expense of low end.

If you want the fcr and a full exhaust, you will need a big bore kit to get that low end back. Honestly, I've owned two DRZ SM's now and if I could do it again I would go FCR with stock exhaust, best of both worlds.

You can get an entire aftermarket transmission (!) that gives different ratios from stock in every gear, including a taller 5th that make the bike feel like it has a 6th gear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4963703559.html
What is this thing realistically worth?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Another 2k plated.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Plating isn't an issue in Arizona :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Plating isn't an issue in Arizona :v:

the 35w lighting coil is. Unless you find an E-Line somewhere, or swap half the crank with a WR one and go to the WR rotor.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Alright, look. I really like my DRZ and is quite quick. Was just wondering how I could get a couple more ponies out of it. Not trying to do a 690 vs DRZ argument here.

Alas, thanks for the clarification. I assumed an exhaust was a must with a FCR 3x3 and all that. I'm just going to get an FCR. I actually really like both the sound and aesthetics of the stock exhaust. Where should I order it?

Any handguard recommendations? I mean are they a universal fit type thing?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

the 35w lighting coil is. Unless you find an E-Line somewhere, or swap half the crank with a WR one and go to the WR rotor.

Hmm, okay, research time. :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, okay, research time. :)

I owned an 04, and it was a little more involved, plus CA wouldn't allow me to bring it there, so I just sold the fucker.

You could throw LEDs everywhere and keep it under 35w though.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Alright, look. I really like my DRZ and is quite quick. Was just wondering how I could get a couple more ponies out of it. Not trying to do a 690 vs DRZ argument here.

Alas, thanks for the clarification. I assumed an exhaust was a must with a FCR 3x3 and all that. I'm just going to get an FCR. I actually really like both the sound and aesthetics of the stock exhaust. Where should I order it?

I have some Zeta handguards that have saved my levers twice. They're nice I guess, but if I had to buy another set I'd probably go for something with removable sliders so you're not trashing an $80 set of handguards (that doesn't even include the plastic hand protectors) if you drop the bike. Also the way mine are mounted on the bars lets them rotate alot if you do actually drop the bike. I think you can buy kits to mount them to the top triple clamp, but that's probably another $20-40 there.

And yes, they're pretty much universal fit. Just make sure you get the ones for the correct size bars.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 18, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm confused because you need the plastics, (well I guess you don't have to have them), the metal bar bits that wrap around, and a mounting kit? Or?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
With what I linked the metal bar bit comes with a mounting kit (that mounts on the bar), but not with the plastics. Plastics without flashers are like $20.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 19, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but all an FCR will do is wake the bike up a little bit. If that's all you're looking for, then yes, absolutely - stock exhaust, and FCR + 3x3 and appropriate jetting and you'll get about 3-5 more HP and the throttle response will be about a fair bit more sharp. It's not going to suddenly make the bike into a monster, it's an incremental improvement with the larger gain coming from the quicker throttle response. You can order the kit from the thumpertalk store to get a plug and play version, or hunt ebay until you find one. If you're comfortable doing some rejetting and bullshit, then find one off of ebay, if you want something plug and play, get the TT kit or a DRZ400E carb.

Handguards are generally a universal thing - I've always liked acerbis but anything with a metal brace in it is good. I'd avoid triple clamp mounts as you want the guards to naturally give a bit when you crash to prevent other poo poo from bending. You just bash them back straight after a crash.

Wheels are probably worth about 50% of that on their own. Buy it and bring it to THill, I'm sure it won't just flat pop down the front straight :v:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If you want to do sick wheelies easier get the fcr. I've tried out my buddy's fully kitted out bike (jetting, 3x3, pipe, fcr39mx) and it's pretty nasty compared to my full stock drz

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe I'm just greedy. My 434 with a full yosh, cams, FCR, and 3x3 doesn't feel quick enough with stock gearing. It's hilarious on dirt wheels with the giant rear sprocket.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I've got another dumb rookie DRZ400sm / General Motorcycle question:

If anyone remembers, someone vandalized/stole parts off my bike back in the fall. I only rode it once after that to move it to its winter home, but upon inspection while I was taking it back to my place this weekend, I found the license plate light (I think it was a little LED strip) is completely gone - just dangling wires - and also my brake lights don't work. It's some brand of fender eliminator undertail kit, the LED turn signals work and the always-on red brake light is lit, but it won't go to Stop/High mode when the brakes are on.

Where do I begin? Is the missing license plate light causing a floating ground?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

robotsinmyhead posted:

I've got another dumb rookie DRZ400sm / General Motorcycle question:

If anyone remembers, someone vandalized/stole parts off my bike back in the fall. I only rode it once after that to move it to its winter home, but upon inspection while I was taking it back to my place this weekend, I found the license plate light (I think it was a little LED strip) is completely gone - just dangling wires - and also my brake lights don't work. It's some brand of fender eliminator undertail kit, the LED turn signals work and the always-on red brake light is lit, but it won't go to Stop/High mode when the brakes are on.

Where do I begin? Is the missing license plate light causing a floating ground?

Check for a cut brake light wire? There should be 3 going to it, one ground, one hot wire on the key for the tail light, one to light the brake light.

The real answer though is buy a DRC Edge and wonder why anyone would ever want anything else.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Is there a good video guide anywhere for the re-jetting kit for the DRZ? Have today off so I might as well scratch that one off my list of "things to do".

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Google drz jetting and there is more info out there than you can imagine

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The hardest part of rejetting for me was just getting the carb out of the frame.

Fuckers in there tight.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

JB50 posted:

The hardest part of rejetting for me was just getting the carb out of the frame.

Fuckers in there tight.

A larger flathead screwdriver will get it out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I know you guys recommended Pilot Powers on the last page, and that's what I ran on my sportbike. But I remember running Continental Contiforce SM tires on my last bike. I do a lot of commuting and am looking for something that's good for freeway, city driving, and gets decent life. Willing to pay a premium outright if the treadlife is long

Are the pilot power 2ct the same?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 30, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

something that's good for freeway, city driving, and gets decent life. Willing to pay a premium outright if the treadlife is long

You are describing Pilot Roads, so you should probably get some PR3s or PR4s, assuming they make them in the size you need.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I know you guys recommended Pilot Powers on the last page, and that's what I ran on my sportbike. But I remember running Continental Contiforce SM tires on my last bike. I do a lot of commuting and am looking for something that's good for freeway, city driving, and gets decent life. Willing to pay a premium outright if the treadlife is long

Are the pilot power 2ct the same?

The 2CT is not the same as the road. Short answer is the 2CT is a bit stickier than the road.

Edit: To give you some info that's actually helpful, I get about 3k out of a rear 2CT on my DRZ riding like a dong.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 1, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Yerok posted:

Edit: To give you some info that's actually helpful, I get about 3k out of a rear 2CT on my DRZ riding like a dong.

Fix your tire pressure :v: They last 5k for me on a 600.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Check me out.

250X... I shift that.
DRZ... I wring that.
690? I LOOP THAT.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Minty Swagger posted:

Check me out.

250X... I shift that.
DRZ... I wring that.
690? I LOOP THAT.

i like you, you can stay

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Minty Swagger posted:

Check me out.

250X... I shift that.
DRZ... I wring that.
690? I LOOP THAT.

I am not a rapper.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

SaNChEzZ posted:

I am not a rapper.

But I'm like Trapper
John M.D.
the mad MC
makin fools flee
on my DRZ

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

SaNChEzZ posted:

I am not a rapper.

But I'm not a Brapper

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*posts my old custom title*

:colbert:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Helped a buddy pick up a cr500 supermoto last night. Guess I gotta call my laywer to get my will in order. :getin:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
A buddy and I have a deal whereby we're going to build an Aprilia SXV with a CR500 motor. To decide who gets to ride it first we will fight to the death, as there is little chance of a second ride. Then we'll meet up for beers in Valhalla, all shiny and chrome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well at least it will last longer than a stock sxv would

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Any reason I shouldn't throw some used E model cams in my 05 DRZ400sm with 21k on the odo and stock valves?

e: I'd replace the valves too, but it's hard to find a good answer as to how that's done and bringing the head in to a mechanic would probably be expensive.

e2: I impulse bought the cams. Not looking forward to having to make sure I have the timing exactly right on these, but MSRH should be a little more fun when I go in Oct.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, this thread exists still. :v:

Finally picked up tiny wheels for my oversized dirt bike. Husky SM610. I think once I wear the current tires out I'll try to convert to tubeless.

• Locked thread