Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'm pretty sure at this point, HP5 should only be shot at 1600.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Shot roll one of two today on the Hasselblad. Hope my metering was somewhat correct.

Unloading/Loading film in this thing shouldn't have been as nerve wracking as it was. I'm guessing you just get used to it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
img097 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Has anyone any advice for stand development or links to decent guides on it? I was going to try it tonight after getting some rodinal equivalent stuff but I got lazy.

also film changing bags are a pain in the rear end to use compared to just fumbling around in a dark room

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

crap nerd posted:

Has anyone any advice for stand development or links to decent guides on it? I was going to try it tonight after getting some rodinal equivalent stuff but I got lazy.

also film changing bags are a pain in the rear end to use compared to just fumbling around in a dark room
Mix a 1:100 solution of Rodinal and water, put your film in, agitate for the first minute, then go away and drink beers for an hour. Come back and fix as normal. A water stop bath is more than enough.

You could do a few inversions at the half-hour mark to further develop the highlights, if you really wanted.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Stand development really is as ridiculously simple as it sounds. It makes scanning more complicated because you have more grain and really flat negs, but the developing part really is that easy.

I do agitate at the 30 minute mark, though. Mostly because I'm worried about having uneven development

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

crap nerd posted:

1:119 mix of hc110 to water at around 20 degrees celsius, 10 initial inversions. let it sit for an hour, inverting once at the 30 min mark. boom. you've developed some negs

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I do 1:100 rodinal:water, agitate for the first 30 seconds, wait 30 minutes, agitate 5x, then dump it out after an hour, rinse with water, ilford rapid fixer, then hypoclear, then rinse, hang, and then i throw it all away because my pictures are bad and i haven't looked at anything i've done in months

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Thanks! If you wanted to push the film slightly would you just do more agitations or use a slightly higher concentration or something?

rohan posted:

Mix a 1:100 solution of Rodinal and water, put your film in, agitate for the first minute, then go away and drink beers for an hour. Come back and fix as normal. A water stop bath is more than enough.

You could do a few inversions at the half-hour mark to further develop the highlights, if you really wanted.

how many beers should i drink for best results, tia

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

crap nerd posted:

Thanks! If you wanted to push the film slightly would you just do more agitations or use a slightly higher concentration or something?

how many beers should i drink for best results, tia

nope. the magic of stand development is that you dont really have to give a poo poo and you'll get good results anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agitate every 15 minutes or so for upwards 2 stops of push. More than that and you should probably increase the time, but on the other hand it's probably better to dev normally for that much push.

Also keep in mind that stand dev will often affect local contrast and you risk getting an "overdone HDR" look if you have strong contrasts.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Been a while since I got the toy out.

Here da gifs: https://imgur.com/a/APJB2

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

A lot of folks don't do extra agitation and instead just add 30 mins of dev for each stop pushed, with mild agitation at the beginning of each extra 30 min period.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
So, I recently acquired a Zeiss Ikon with the 2/50 Planar and I love it. I've really come to enjoy rangefinders with my GF670, but I'm a bit at a loss for what to get for a more portrait length lens. Is the Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar a good choice, or should I splurge on the Zeiss 4/85? Any others to consider, new or vintage?

E: About $1k max budget, but prefer <$600.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

JSW2 posted:

So, I recently acquired a Zeiss Ikon with the 2/50 Planar and I love it. I've really come to enjoy rangefinders with my GF670, but I'm a bit at a loss for what to get for a more portrait length lens. Is the Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar a good choice, or should I splurge on the Zeiss 4/85? Any others to consider, new or vintage?

E: About $1k max budget, but prefer <$600.

I would get something fast. The Voightlander 75mm Heliar is f/1.8 and just slightly more than $600. You could also get something in LTM and adapt it if you want cheaper, the Jupiter 9 is a good deal.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Been a while since I got the toy out.

Here da gifs: https://imgur.com/a/APJB2

This owns.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGPakl57PbI&hd=1

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

It's a fantastic video. I wish I could play the copy I have on VHF while I'm developing the film.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I found a Canonet QL 17 at a garagesale for $5, and it's now my favorite lens on any camera I have, modern or vintage. The electricals don't work at all (it works full manual but not in shutter priority) and sometimes at 1/250 the shutter sticks open, ruining the frame. I took it to my local camera store for a CLA, but they quoted "a couple months and close to $200" and said honestly they didn't think it was worth fixing.

I might try to get a second opinion from an internet spot like KEH, but maybe I'll just use it as-is until it breaks.

img711

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this. Pentax is having a 20% off sale on used Pentax film gear today.

https://www.keh.com/243721/pentax-85mm-f-1-9-super-takumar-m42-screw-mount-manual-focus-lens-58

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pukestain Pal posted:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this. Pentax is having a 20% off sale on used Pentax film gear today.

https://www.keh.com/243721/pentax-85mm-f-1-9-super-takumar-m42-screw-mount-manual-focus-lens-58

I just bought a bunch of Pentax stuff from keh! Do they price match?

Dren fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 20, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Dren posted:

I just bought a bunch of Pentax stuff from keh! Do they price match?

You can always ask

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adam by Glenn Nielson, on Flickr

Portra 400 good. I am not.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Still on my "Push HP5+ to 1600 or death" kick.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
someone dropped off a box at work to be recycled. in that box was a bunch of out-of-date, but still in the package, camera batteries, and a Super FilmShield lead-lined bag containing nine rolls of 35mm Scotch Chrome 1000. :aaaaa:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drat film is all bowed... Not curled in the direction of the roll, but gently bowed the whole length of the strip. I cut it up and stuck it in a sleeve between 2 books under my heaviest toolbox; after 12 hours it's a little better.

Do I need to dry it in a higher humidity environment?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I attach a film clip at the end to weigh the strip down while drying and it usually turns out fine.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Chill Callahan posted:

I attach a film clip at the end to weigh the strip down while drying and it usually turns out fine.

Yup. Usually I attach 2 at the bottom

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
You guys must have magic air because my film bows down the entire length even with weighted clips. Color film is especially bad because of the multiple layers.

I usually wait for it to dry enough that I can handle it without damaging the emulsion and I rewind it back onto the development reel backwards, against the curl. Leave it like that overnight and it helps a lot.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

You guys must have magic air because my film bows down the entire length even with weighted clips. Color film is especially bad because of the multiple layers.

I usually wait for it to dry enough that I can handle it without damaging the emulsion and I rewind it back onto the development reel backwards, against the curl. Leave it like that overnight and it helps a lot.

I've never had a problem. Maybe your air just sucks.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

Maybe your air just sucks.

It does. Right now the weather forecast here is just the word "smoke".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Some of you might be talking about curl where the film tries to roll up again like it was on the spool. This is what I'm dealing with:

(not my image)

The film doesn't try to roll up or anything, it just curls slightly in a way that makes scanning lovely.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Some of you might be talking about curl where the film tries to roll up again like it was on the spool. This is what I'm dealing with:

(not my image)

The film doesn't try to roll up or anything, it just curls slightly in a way that makes scanning lovely.

yeah, that's what I was talking about. Rolling it back in the reel against the curl gets rid of this bowing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

yeah, that's what I was talking about. Rolling it back in the reel against the curl gets rid of this bowing.

poo poo, now I wish I hadn't cut it already. I'll do it next time.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How big are files from 35mm film scans usually? I guess it largely depends on the resolution you choose, but is there a rough estimate I can use? I'm asking because I'll be scanning a lot of film with a mate and I'd like to know how much disk space I'll need to bring along. I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but I can't seem to find good stuff at other places.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Entirely depends on resolution and file format. That's like asking how big a digital picture file is.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You'll only be able to get about 2400 dpi scans out of a consumer flatbed, and a 48 bit color tif will be about 50-60 MB each.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Merci beaucoup!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My Minox 35 GT's shutter apparently has only been firing about a quarter of the time :tizzy:

on the upside, the digital darkroom that I will be able to use at school shortly has a Flextight X5 and a pair of Coolscan 9000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Has anybody had any issues with Citizens Photo scans? I ordered the high res scans and they look like they took low res files and saved them in a higher resolution.