Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
4 quad Ace Shadow Hawks. Last Comguard unit is not long for this world. Thunder climbing up from a fall. This is not looking good. At least the Penetrator is down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AJ_Impy posted:

My oath. We did this. This is the result of the disgraced Death Commando clantech raid.

We are the architects of our own misfortune.

Holy poo poo I didn't even think about this. That owns.

Artificer posted:

4 quad Ace Shadow Hawks. Last Comguard unit is not long for this world. Thunder climbing up from a fall. This is not looking good. At least the Penetrator is down...

The Thunder is utterly hosed. I will be shooting it in the back and kicking it non stop till it dies. Given the existing leg crits, I do not expect this to take very long!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even think about this. That owns.

The Thunder is utterly hosed. I will be shooting it in the back and kicking it non stop till it dies. Given the existing leg crits, I do not expect this to take very long!

My God. That's amazing. :swoon:

Well good. Make sure that guy goes down because I'm not sure how many of the players are making it out. Might as well make it bloody for the Capellans and make sure the Thunder can't shoot any more of Goonlance.

I think the Comguard are a lost cause at this point. How soon until the Power Rangers make it to optimal ranges to Goonlance?

Edit: Is the Jinggau out of the fight? It says he is retreating but his mech is mostly fine.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 17, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

EDIT: PTN, is the Grim Reaper still an Ace? The note seems to be missing from its Pilot Status this time around.

It's moving with the players so technically yes, but it's out-ACE'd by the OpForce.

AJ_Impy posted:

My oath. We did this. This is the result of the disgraced Death Commando clantech raid.

Yes you did. Yes you are. It's great. :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Okay. Looking at the map some more, I don't think I can actually advance on Team Chromatic Shadow Hawk this round without offering backshots to either the Thunder or the Jinggau. Honestly I'm not sure I give a poo poo, because I cannot abide the notion of letting the Prismatic Patrol shoot Carlos Marik while we're this bloody close to pulling out a beautiful win.

Sorry, PTN, I know you love the Cerberus, but I don't know if it's making it out alive. ;)

Thinking I'm going to run down to 1218. Given that Blue Shadow Hawk Needs Food Badly is on 'monitor duty,' I think it's actually a safe bet that she'll stay atop the building; if I'm wrong, well, the Green Arrowhawk over there is almost certainly going to run up between those two rows of buildings and end up somewhere shootable. With conditional orders I should be able to at least shoot at something, all the while holding up a giant 'SHOOT AT ME, NOT THAT CAR OVER THERE' sign. With any luck I can buy enough time for the rest of Goonlance to evac - or at least keep some of them busy enough to keep you out of optimal range for a bit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Can't be too obvious a bait. :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Artificer posted:

Can't be too obvious a bait. :v:

Not really a concern if the others keep from moving south; let them think I'm buying time for my Lancemates to retreat instead of buying time for my CO to retreat.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The world needs more junior officers like you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's been a long, long road.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So I just wanna understand what's going on. The Capellans had five mechs fired up and piloted, in a drop ship, nearby the Comstar HPG just at this moment, even though the rebels chose a random time to have Carlos Marik show up to make a phone call. But this makes sense because the five shadow hawks are part of a planned attack on Comstar, which was just happening to be getting ready to go in maybe like the next hour, by sheer coincidence?

Or is it the case that the Capellans had intelligence on what the rebels were planning, maybe not knowing exactly when it would go down?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

So I just wanna understand what's going on. The Capellans had five mechs fired up and piloted, in a drop ship, nearby the Comstar HPG just at this moment, even though the rebels chose a random time to have Carlos Marik show up to make a phone call. But this makes sense because the five shadow hawks are part of a planned attack on Comstar, which was just happening to be getting ready to go in maybe like the next hour, by sheer coincidence?

Or is it the case that the Capellans had intelligence on what the rebels were planning, maybe not knowing exactly when it would go down?

Maybe someone is a spy?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Okay. Looking at the map some more, I don't think I can actually advance on Team Chromatic Shadow Hawk this round without offering backshots to either the Thunder or the Jinggau. Honestly I'm not sure I give a poo poo, because I cannot abide the notion of letting the Prismatic Patrol shoot Carlos Marik while we're this bloody close to pulling out a beautiful win.

Sorry, PTN, I know you love the Cerberus, but I don't know if it's making it out alive. ;)

Thinking I'm going to run down to 1218. Given that Blue Shadow Hawk Needs Food Badly is on 'monitor duty,' I think it's actually a safe bet that she'll stay atop the building; if I'm wrong, well, the Green Arrowhawk over there is almost certainly going to run up between those two rows of buildings and end up somewhere shootable. With conditional orders I should be able to at least shoot at something, all the while holding up a giant 'SHOOT AT ME, NOT THAT CAR OVER THERE' sign. With any luck I can buy enough time for the rest of Goonlance to evac - or at least keep some of them busy enough to keep you out of optimal range for a bit.

I'm down for the last stand thing, maybe just wait 1 turn and help the rest of us plug the Jinggau first? I don't think the car is in LoS of any enemies yet. I think it's fine either way though- I'd just go to 1216 instead, May as well walk instead of run for better hit chances!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

I'm down for the last stand thing, maybe just wait 1 turn and help the rest of us plug the Jinggau first? I don't think the car is in LoS of any enemies yet. I think it's fine either way though- I'd just go to 1216 instead, May as well walk instead of run for better hit chances!

I thought about 1216 but 1218 puts me out of the Thunder's AC/20 range. Still, we've got time to think it over s'more.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, you're right- Could go 1317 for the +1 move mod, then the Thunder needs 10 to hit you.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ok: I'm gonna get in close with the Jinggau since i'm the closest. Then I'm heading south to gently caress with the shadowhawks and make sure Carlos gets out.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Oh yeah, can I challenge these capellans to duels and shits?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You could but Cappys aren't exactly known for their honor, and that would likely get you casually backshotted on the moment you thought it actually was a fair fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Capellans are the most likely to accept a duel they have no intention of honoring.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tell one of them you are inviting them to a duel.

...and then shoot them with your dual gauss rifles and be all :whatup:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

AJ_Impy posted:

If it helps, I apologize for anything that might have helped the Cappies, which was unfortunately everything I was involved in as a player in this thread, because irony works that way.

I think Andrevian among others is probably less sorry...

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Future army of pirate Wrestlemechs confirmed

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PBJ posted:

Future army of Lyran Wrestlemechs confirmed

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Capellans are the most likely to accept a duel they have no intention of honoring.

I just need to get one of their aces out in the open so you can pwn one.

Sair
May 11, 2007

The only thing that could make them better and more Cappy is TSM. I love it.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I think Andrevian among others is probably less sorry...

I haven't laughed this hard at a twist in a long time. These Shadowhawks are amazing bullshit to throw at the players, and I love it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 17, 2015

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Actually these guys don't look so tough after all. Ok they are piloting 2 so they will be hard to knock down. They aren't gunnery 2 and we still outrange them with high power weapons. We basically need to keep the cerberus and Nightstar up. Target priorities IMO should be as follows.

Thunder: Kill it to get the vengeance counter up. Just gotta tap the leg. I trust Gwaihir's maelstrom can do it. Or hell, move behidn it on the level 2 and kick its CT in. Reinforcements won't have range on us/will be killing the comstar dude. RIP in piss btw Grim reaper duder, you're done.
Jinggau: Its fresh and has a gauss rifle with a brace of medium lasers. Rest of goonlance should pound it. I think we can take them both out this turn maybe. Potentially in 2 turns. I'm not concerned about them in the long run.

The CapCon Power Ranger squad is our biggest concern once we've mopped up the rest of the 2nd wave.

RED AND BLACK Shadowhawks POWER RANGERS: Need to die. Black is going to be putting up ghost targets most likely and in general loving our poo poo up. Red will probably try to put plasma rifle fire on the maelstrom and gently caress up your day. I'm not too concerned about the overheat possibilities on the night star or cerb cause yo gauss. We out range them even though we have to move and be cognizant of their possible moves. Not something I'm good at so definitely gonna need the threads help for this. Red also appears to be their commander. And headhunting their commanders seems to be working out good for us this scenario.

Major thing we need to do in coming turns: gonna need to come together like buttcheeks and cover each other pretty well. Thoughts on positions we should take.

Nightstar: Overwatch at 1308 and watch south. Level 2 protects you from the West.
Cerberus: Set up shop at 1213. Do what you have to do to keep them off your back but in general around there would be good.
Maelstorm: Mobile reserve around the 1514 area. Always be running, screen the nightstar and watch the cerb's back.
War Dog: Oh hey thats me. I'm bodyguarding one of you up close because i'm a close range combatant now. I'm thinking I'm going to hang with the Cerberus or the Nightstar. Alternatively if I can IC call out some of the capellans

Ghost Targets: I have no idea how they will work with the Black ACE in play but we should definitely keep them on the Nightstar or Cerberus.

In general: get ready to die gloriously.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 17, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Welp, those are some seriously souped-up Shadow Hawks. Heavy PPCs, Plasma Rifles and X-Pulse Lasers are all pretty nasty surprises, but if you look closely you'll also see that their movement ratings have question marks next to them. It's possible that they're packing XL / Light Fusion Engines and extra jump jets too. Their pilots all have average gunnery skills but excellent piloting, so they probably won't fall over even if they undertake extremely risky maneuvers. Oh, and they're all Aces to boot. About the only good thing is the mood of their pilots - Contemptuous, Scornful and Imperious seem to indicate overconfidence, which might be something the players can take advantage of. Likewise the dude who is Furious - maybe he can be baited into making a dumb move.

There are other things to make note of. Carlos' car has started moving again, so the players will definitely want to protect it. Rescuing the ComGuard seems like a very tall order given the Grim Reaper's position and movement rating, but it seems kind of mean to give the players an objective they can't possibly succeed at. My guess is that the Precentor is going to hop in his Grand Titan and that'll be the thing that really needs protecting.

Also, I find the Penetrator pilot's status as 'Unlucky' pretty funny.

Edit: Just noticed an error:

quote:

Shadow Hawk Tengshe (Green ACE!)
- Fires Medium X-Pulse Laser at Grim Reaper (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 6, hit Rear Right Torso (0/8 armor, 9/13 structure remaining)! Crit!

The roll was 6 while the to hit was 7, so this shot should have missed.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 17, 2015

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Welp, it looks like our success in the Death Commando campaign has come back to /bite/ us in the rear end, cause I have no doubt that all those shiny new weapons the Capellan Shadow Hawks are sporting is from what they reverse engineered from all the delicious Clan and Draconis Sun tech they pilfered during said campaign.

Well played Poptarts, well played.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

Welp, it looks like our success in the Death Commando campaign has come back to /bite/ us in the rear end, cause I have no doubt that all those shiny new weapons the Capellan Shadow Hawks are sporting is from what they reverse engineered from all the delicious Clan and Draconis Sun tech they pilfered during said campaign.

Well played Poptarts, well played.

It shouldn't surprise us too much; PTN already clued us in. "We must have stumbled on some sort of Capellan reverse-engineering program!" indeed.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

It shouldn't surprise us too much; PTN already clued us in. "We must have stumbled on some sort of Capellan reverse-engineering program!" indeed.

I wonder how much experimental tech is stuffed in that grand crusader. Holy poo poo we need to get CARLOS TO THAT MECH!

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
What we really need is for the Reaper to live through next turn. Should be a good distraction for Carlos.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

:ocelot: :D

Original plan was just for them to show up and be menacing on the last turn, though. I got wrecked this mission (as Gauss Rifles are wont to do).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Man, what a beautiful, beautiful payoff. Totally worth getting first turn head capped way back when. :D quasi-clantech super secret rainbow force go!

Gentlemen of this round's Goonlance, I salute you. Through your efforts, we have earned the right to see wonders.

Now blow 'em all back to hell like the Shadow Hawks they are.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Given how the mission has gone I'm expecting Goonstar to wreck the Rainbow Squad before moving on and smashing the rest of the forces on the planet. The Cap's will be wishing they left the HPG alone so they could call for help.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's a good point about the HPG.. So is this planet just totally cut off now?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

That's a good point about the HPG.. So is this planet just totally cut off now?

Well, the Cappies probably have a clanspec HPG on planet. So, the planet is cut off but not for everyone.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

:ocelot: :D

Original plan was just for them to show up and be menacing on the last turn, though. I got wrecked this mission (as Gauss Rifles are wont to do).

Can I "duel" the capellans. And by duel, try to challenge a shadowhawk to steiner rules brawling with whats left of the war dog's right arm?

We'll pull a Liao on the Liaos by killing them as soon as they come out in the open but come on, do me the solid.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

Can I "duel" the capellans. And by duel, try to challenge a shadowhawk to steiner rules brawling with whats left of the war dog's right arm?

We'll pull a Liao on the Liaos by killing them as soon as they come out in the open but come on, do me the solid.

Hey now the dice did you a total solid by headcapping that flea turn 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Viva Miriya posted:

Cappellans play by WoL rules. Not a whole lot is going to come of a duel attempt that neither party has any faith in.

• Locked thread