Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

God drat, this show can't stop hitting it out of the park. It has no flaws. Is it fake?

By the way, I remembered Rick's list of catchphrases from somewhere. Like, it was an exact quote. Was that a callback to an earlier episode, or had I heard it in some sort of behind-the-scenes thing, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That was a literally pitch perfect episode. All the characters were on point, the joke hit, and the twists were superb.

I really dug that they took the time to highlight the essentials of every character without having it feel like a distraction.

Morty: as the incresingly genre savvy protagonist, saves the day by solving the mystery.

Rick: by being a paranoid nutjob, buys enough time for Morty to save the day. It's not paranoia if your right, fuckers!

Summer: Cynical. As. gently caress. The line read on "Yep." is beautiful. She knows that if anyone loves her it has to be a lie.

Jerry: the codependent parasite. They shoulda shot him.

Beth: is bad, so very bad, at making decisions.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ditocoaf posted:

By the way, I remembered Rick's list of catchphrases from somewhere. Like, it was an exact quote. Was that a callback to an earlier episode, or had I heard it in some sort of behind-the-scenes thing, or what?

NYCC footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vdUM7_yEw

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Even if the rest of this season is mediocre and forgettable, I think they've already hit the required number of 'classic' episodes to be a good season of a comedy show.

Rick's catch-phrase thing was definitely online earlier than this episode airing as some sort of promo for this season. It wasn't a callback.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

slagmatic posted:

I loved the shoutout to 90's Conan, the completely arbitrary characters were one of my favorite bits they used to do. Here's a link for you youngin's who probably don't know what I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsvO0KSh20

Long live Coked Up Werewolf.

Holy poo poo, Starburns is in this around 4:10!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Great episode. I can't decide if my favorite part was the Tinkles rave or Sleepy Gary replacing Jerry as the husband.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Can't wait until this posted online for me to watch via the website. Sounds like a blast!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So wait, if Mr. Poopybutthole wasn't a parasite then how did he get inserted into the intro sequence, and how did the rest of the parasites get into the house?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I DO IT EVERYWHERE. STOP SHAMING ME!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Funkmaster General posted:

The alternate opening with Mr. Poopybutthole reminds me of the last episode of Invader Zim, where the character Minimoose is introduced with no fanfare whatsoever. In the commentary they talk about a scene that got cut where Zim insists that minimoose has been there the whole time, and then flashes back to scenes from earlier episodes with added pan-outs to reveal minimoose just offscreen. That gag was one of my favorites from the series even though it didn't make it in.

This show fills my Zim hole perfectly.

And this is the best episode of the show. So on loving point.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Morty getting kicked in the nuts and pants pulled down, tossed down the stairs had me dying. Goddamn.

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!
Best episode of the season by far. Absolutely perfect.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My favorite is "Lick lick lick my balls" because of the throw back to Doc and Mharti. Rick really does say that all the time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Talorat posted:

So wait, if Mr. Poopybutthole wasn't a parasite then how did he get inserted into the intro sequence, and how did the rest of the parasites get into the house?
My theory is that this was an episode featuring a Rick and Morty from a slightly different dimension than the Rick and Morty we usually follow, where Mr. Poopybutthole is a regular character.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JT Jag posted:

My theory is that this was an episode featuring a Rick and Morty from a slightly different dimension than the Rick and Morty we usually follow, where Mr. Poopybutthole is a regular character.

How do we know the Rick and Morty we've been watching this whole time has been the same Rick and Morty at all?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

How do we know the Rick and Morty we've been watching this whole time has been the same Rick and Morty at all?
There are a few episodes that pretty explicitly follow the same set of Rick and Morty, particularly Love Potion #9 and Rixty Minutes. The "Rickest Rick and Mortiest Morty" from "Close Rick-Counters" are stated to be from Dimension C-137, so I presume they're Rick and Morty Prime unless stated otherwise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please don't ruin the joke.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Please don't ruin the joke.
This is how you know I'm real.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mr. Poopybutthole died on the way back to his home planet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I assume this the first episode we didn't follow Rick C137 too?

Skippy McPants posted:

That was a literally pitch perfect episode. All the characters were on point, the joke hit, and the twists were superb.

I really dug that they took the time to highlight the essentials of every character without having it feel like a distraction.

Morty: as the incresingly genre savvy protagonist, saves the day by solving the mystery.

Rick: by being a paranoid nutjob, buys enough time for Morty to save the day. It's not paranoia if your right, fuckers!

Summer: Cynical. As. gently caress. The line read on "Yep." is beautiful. She knows that if anyone loves her it has to be a lie.

Jerry: the codependent parasite. They shoulda shot him.

Beth: is bad, so very bad, at making decisions.

This was pretty much my impression. I'm mind blown with how right they got everything.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Do all of the parasites know who each other are, or are they like Cylons programmed to not know they are Cylons?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Episodes where it matters, we're following "the same Rick and Morty". Episodes where it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. The universes are the same except for a detail, moving on. That's the beauty of this setting.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
gently caress, I wish they'd netflix this bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

But he's been a regular character since the pilot? Don't you remember the classic episode where he and Summer stole a baby Cthulu and Rick and Morty had to save them?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

bango skank posted:

I DO IT EVERYWHERE. STOP SHAMING ME!

I cried at this. I laughed so hard. The wife just looked on.

This episode is solid gold!

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
:perfect:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
That was really, really good and that cut to the credits loving killed me.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Holy poo poo. This might just be the funniest show that has ever existed :stare:

Beth is such a piece of poo poo though

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What a downer. The two people who understand Jerry don't exist and the family has destroyed their friendship with Mr Poopy Butthole.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The two people who understand Jerry don't exist

Also his best day at work and the best sex he ever had happened in a glitchy alien virtual reality simulator running on low power, his ideal world is a creche designed to keep him distracted and his ideal cosplaying buddy turned out to be an insane rapist. I love how the show continually shits all over him. :allears:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Skippy McPants posted:

Summer has become a great character. Between the elevator scene and her icily blowing away Tinkles we know that she's just as unhinged as the rest of the family but in a much calmer, calculating way. Such an improvement from the boring apathetic C-student teen she started as in the first episode.

Also lol:

Buzkashi posted:

What's the likelihood Mr. Poopy Butthole is an alien parasite vs. an actual legitimate character? The show is silly enough to go either way.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
You all doubted me, I had faith in Mr. Poopy Butthole.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DoctorWhat posted:

Holy poo poo, Starburns is in this around 4:10!

And Amy Poelher is getting high on Weinburg. Most of the original UCB people are in that clip.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

JT Jag posted:

NINTENDO GIVE ME FREE STUFF

I own that 3DS he wants to flip. It's rad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Buzkashi posted:

You all doubted me, I had faith in Mr. Poopy Butthole.

You were right all along. I would have shot him immediately and regretted it just as much as Beth. :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

There are a few episodes that pretty explicitly follow the same set of Rick and Morty, particularly Love Potion #9 and Rixty Minutes. The "Rickest Rick and Mortiest Morty" from "Close Rick-Counters" are stated to be from Dimension C-137, so I presume they're Rick and Morty Prime unless stated otherwise.

If there are infinite timelines, then its certainly possible that multiple Rick and Mortys accidentially (or purposefully) Cronenberged a world, ported to a different dimension and assumed the identities of its Rick and Morty.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hazo posted:

Summer has become a great character. Between the elevator scene and her icily blowing away Tinkles we know that she's just as unhinged as the rest of the family but in a much calmer, calculating way. Such an improvement from the boring apathetic C-student teen she started as in the first episode.

Absolutely. I generally have the feeling they moved away from just using the Smith family as mundane contrast to Rick and Morty's insane adventures to making all of them a more integral part of the plot. This episode basically marked Beth debut ad part of the a-plot.

In season one, especially early on, it was almost always Rick and Morty dong some wacky sciences stuff that sometimes collided with the normal life of Beth, Jerry and Summer. But so far, every season two episode had one of them tacking along on the main adventure. Mostly Summer.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Irish Joe posted:

If there are infinite timelines, then

If there are infinite - then there are an infinite number of Rick and Morty who do that and an infinite number of them that don't, all with slight variations . That's kind of what the word infinite means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Summer needs to stop peeing her pants.

• Locked thread