Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, I think I see it now. Whatever his power is, it involved somehow changing his hand. And the "ghost" Dmitri is definitely the motion blur/afterimage of the ball knocking him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
The smak is definitely his hand getting hit in the afterimage, I think the pwing could be his hand hitting Johnny and getting enough stability to actually deflect the momentum.

It's possible Dmitri just put his normal, human hand in front of the speeding death ball. The close up of his hand showing the flesh rippling could just be the force of the ball affecting the air around it in slo-mo. I mean, the last one broke the sound barrier.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Cubone posted:

It's possible Dmitri just put his normal, human hand in front of the speeding death ball. The close up of his hand showing the flesh rippling could just be the force of the ball affecting the air around it in slo-mo. I mean, the last one broke the sound barrier.
I think his "No choice...!" has to be referring to him having no choice but to use his Spectral ability in view of everyone in order to save Johnny (who, unbeknownst to him, probably stood a decent chance against the hitball).

The small motion lines on his hand imply to me that maybe he has some kind of zero friction / rubberizing ability that he can spread across his body. The ball kind of slides along his arm.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 14, 2015

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Skeletal Forge is :krad:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think what he is doing, looking at it on my computer rather than phone, is creating horizontal lines on his hand that then flow up his hand vertically somehow?

At first glance, what I thought he'd done, in addition to weird handness, is put forward a spectral ghost-hand to absorb and nullify the ghost aspect of the throw, nullifying enough of the oomph that his now modified hand can take the actual hit, but now I'm not so sure. I think the smack is him being hit, the ping is his hand getting pushed back by the ball and hitting Johnny.

Upon closer inspection, the orangy colour appears to be more associated with the ball itself rather than Dimitri so idk.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I would be more inclined to the "just an afterimage" theory if I could remember any examples of some translucent background figure not being either metaphysical or metaphorical. Usually when Zack does rapid movement in a single panel, whoever's moving just has too many torsos or multiple distinct but equally solid bodies.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dmitri does something (most likely spectral) with his hand, uses said hand to slow down the ball enough to then deflect it with the ball in his other hand, all while being thrown backwards by the force of the ball. I think he was hoping everything would have happened so fast that no one would notice his hand making contact with the ball, thus his futile plea for someone to catch the ball and get Jeff out of the game.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This update just leaves me impatient for the day when Forge and Johnny meet properly. They are going to be the best.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Prison Warden posted:

Look, Issac has Weather Report, Ed has Star Platinum and now Dimitri has Tusk, it's all very simple.

Nah, that's not it

Fecha posted:

The small motion lines on his hand imply to me that maybe he has some kind of zero friction / rubberizing ability that he can spread across his body. The ball kind of slides along his arm.

It's not a stand, it's a devil fruit ability! He must be from a different faction entirely! :v:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Prison Warden posted:

Look, Issac has Weather Report, Ed has Star Platinum and now Dimitri has Tusk, it's all very simple.

That's not Tusk, that's Ball Breaker.

edit: See?

Tusk just puts holes in people. Or universes. Whatever.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I was thinking of the fingernail effects, but what can I say? When you're right you're right.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Prison Warden posted:

He also has... Brown/orange spectral energy I think?

Also, Max has Bastet. It's stands all the way down.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Well, it's not like Tusk and Ball Breaker are all that different, they're just used differently. Tusk is used to shoot your fingernails out like bullets that cut people in half and knock holes in physics, while Ball Breaker lets you spin metal balls so fast it can fold a friend flat and stuff him unharmed through a metal grate into the sewers.

.....Steel Ball Run had some body horror in it, huh.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mr. stefan posted:

Also, Max has Bastet. It's stands all the way down.

If Eightfold ever comes back I expect to see some Enigma bullshit out of her.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
cool, Forge is Unit 01

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Brannock posted:

If Eightfold ever comes back I expect to see some Enigma bullshit out of her.

That's why Eightfold had to die. What was that Read or Die poo poo? Let's swap out that stupid spider for something classy, like Spice Girls.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Skeletal Forge is :krad:

He's got a little heart on his nose. :3:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Forge would definitely be Speed King. Go ahead Max. Take a tissue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That gym is dusty enough to kill a person with asthma.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That gym is dusty enough to kill a person with asthma.

Now we know why there are so many ghosts hanging around at the school.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so is dimitri going to be an honorary member of johnny's gang now :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"honorary"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, he'd have to want to be part of it to be truly a member, and he seems happy to sit and watch the newspaper club shenanigans instead

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

True, but I can wish.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm interested to find out if Suzy got anything with her phone there.

I'd love to see her reaction to finding out that Dimitri probably knows all about what she's been all "investigative journalist" over.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably not, unless she has been taking a diet of citrus lately.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GET HYPE FOR PLANBALL!!!

It's gonna be real interesting when Forge and Johnny start actually communicating. That last panel, holy poo poo. :swoon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny consistently maintains his position as the #2 best character on this comic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He has Forge's mouth in the last panel.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Is that a fuckin' Ginyu pose!?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keeshhound posted:

Is that a fuckin' Ginyu pose!?

That wouldn't be the first in that comic.

Also, hover text: "paranatural lesson #26: every good plan starts with a ridiculous Ginyu Force-esque team pose"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cat Mattress posted:

Also, hover text: "paranatural lesson #26: every good plan starts with a ridiculous Ginyu Force-esque team pose"

I always forget to check those.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is Dmitri's whole plan here just "get the ordinary people out of danger by sending them to fight another ordinary guy while I take on the supernatural threat myself"? Not realising that Max and Johnny are also spectrals (or almost in Johnny's case)

You'd think he'd have guessed Max is one just from him joining the Activity Club, it's not like he hasn't heard Suzy ranting about that enough

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
No, it's to hit Cody with the Super Deluxe Kingdom Hearts Ultra-Snitch 3000 so they can use him to end the game legitimately.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Further Johnny as the protagonist proof: after Max abandoned him, he still helps the kid

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
So, did we know before this that the Student Council seem to know the reality of Normal Kid? I just can't remember any more.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I hadn't realized that was what they were referencing. Makes sense, I suppose.

And I guess making Cody switch sides means they can tap his mad hitball skills to take Jeff out? But will he have the nerves to strike down his bestdorkiest friend?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I bet the game is over when Max and Johnny's gang realize they're they only ones left and let themselves get taken out by Cody, who catches the Golden Switch. :geno:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

I bet the game is over when Max and Johnny's gang realize they're they only ones left and let themselves get taken out by Cody, who catches the Golden Switch. :geno:

Everyone realizes the safest way to end the game is to one-by-one throw balls at Cody so he either catches them and gets them out or dodges them and hits them back which also gets them out with less personal injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Suaimhneas posted:

Is Dmitri's whole plan here just "get the ordinary people out of danger by sending them to fight another ordinary guy while I take on the supernatural threat myself"? Not realising that Max and Johnny are also spectrals (or almost in Johnny's case)

You'd think he'd have guessed Max is one just from him joining the Activity Club, it's not like he hasn't heard Suzy ranting about that enough

Max has also been in the club like three days and Dimitri probably (rightly) thinks he's doesn't know jack about poo poo.

Wonderslug posted:

No, it's to hit Cody with the Super Deluxe Kingdom Hearts Ultra-Snitch 3000 so they can use him to end the game legitimately.

The ball's design reminds me more of the Change of Heart card from YuGiOh and- oh loving dammit, I walked right into that one.