Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Guess they didn't have any sisters of battle blood handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I did a new thing!

The lighting is kind of poo poo and I need to clean up I know but I wanted to grab a picture before I varnished it. I got a poo poo-ton of dreads from the guy who sold me his extra Marines - I'm going to have a unit of three standard dreads with lascannons (and fists with heavy flamers or missile launchers) and a unit of two venerables with plasma cannons and fists/flamers. Always loved dreadnoughts and now they should be semi-viable.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

We will get AoS'ed, I have no doubt about it.

I heard that if at midnight, you look at a mirror while holding a space marine and say Kirby three times, Tom Kirby appears and forces you to love Age of Sigmar.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

We will get AoS'ed, I have no doubt about it.

I dunno. We might have to wait for the quarterlies but it seems like AoS isn't doing much better than fantasy was. You know, fantasy... the second highest selling tabletop game for a while there that they completely nuked.

I expect changes, but not quite on that scale.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

krushgroove posted:

Oh that's easy - corrupted GK

I'll glass ya in the fokkin face, swear on me mum.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LordAba posted:

I dunno. We might have to wait for the quarterlies but it seems like AoS isn't doing much better than fantasy was. You know, fantasy... the second highest selling tabletop game for a while there that they completely nuked.

I expect changes, but not quite on that scale.

please do not use logic to predict the plans of Gee Dubs

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

goose fleet posted:

Not really, I'm just trying to figure out how some of the weirder ally combinations could work. Like Chaos Daemons and Grey Knights.

Someone earlier in the thread was posting about wanting to use gk as thousand sons

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

krushgroove posted:

Oh that's easy - corrupted GK

Queue rabid frothing sound...

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Would AOSing 40k make much difference? Complaints about AOS seem to be the stupid gimmicks, losing points and everything ends up in assault in the middle of the table turn 2. The end result is both parties simply rolling dice.

40k armies are more about shooting than assault so I expect they will stay that way and it takes away that complaint. Rolling dice is shooting down to a nutshell. Stupid gimmicks can be ignored. Points have always been a shitshow in balancing the game so I think money spent is the best balancing force. If people who complain about the price of models leave the game, the atmosphere at most clubs will improve no-end. It is well known that richer people are more attractive and popular so making GW more exclusive will also improve the image of the game.

The poor still have football, Carling and X-wing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Source your quotes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Queue rabid frothing sound...

Not in my canon
:goonsay:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Reynold posted:

Speaking primarily from experience in much simpler games, such as x-wing and armada, I'm kind of at the point now where I hate playing tabletop wargames. While about half of the people I run into are decent human beings, and I get to have fun playing the game, the other half always seem to be insufferable douchebags. I try to fly casual, avoid gloating, and keep things light, but really kills my enthusiasm for a game when I spend several hours of my increasingly limited free time with people that don't seem to be enjoying themselves AT ALL who agonize over every decision, get visibly upset when things don't go their way, or rules lawyer their way through everything to try and gain advantage through technicality. My last game I played left me thinking "I could have gone to the movies with my girlfriend instead of this. What the gently caress is wrong with me?"

I can only imagine what some of these 40k events can be like, with the sheer volume of rules and combinations available. My only real interest in warhammer at this point is to paint up stuff I think looks cool, and daydream about playing low point value games with them (but never actually do it).

This is part of the real value of having a local gaming community - not only can you consistently plan for games but you can specifically avoid "that" part of 40k/whatever game you're playing. I remember my first Rogue Trader like 11 years ago where half the guys I played against were helpful and friendly and the other half were...less so. I've had some really good luck with strangers (hey The Sex Cannon) and several absolutely horrendous experiences (hey Eagle and Empire Hobby Shop in NOVA) and I don't blame you for getting frustrated.

Do you have any friends that'd be interested in that low point value game thing? Because that's probably the best way to actually make those games happen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Direwolf posted:

This is part of the real value of having a local gaming community - not only can you consistently plan for games but you can specifically avoid "that" part of 40k/whatever game you're playing. I remember my first Rogue Trader like 11 years ago where half the guys I played against were helpful and friendly and the other half were...less so. I've had some really good luck with strangers (hey The Sex Cannon) and several absolutely horrendous experiences (hey Eagle and Empire Hobby Shop in NOVA) and I don't blame you for getting frustrated.

Do you have any friends that'd be interested in that low point value game thing? Because that's probably the best way to actually make those games happen.

Yeah, seriously. I learned to play 40k with a bunch of my best friends back in highschool, and I absolutely loved it. Then when I moved to Boston I started playing with the 'Arvard Ardboyz and it was consistently the worst 40k experience of my life. They were the loudest bunch of manchildren I'd ever met, and one of my pick up games had a guy ask to see my army list specifically so he could run off to the corner and write a list that was a hard counter to mine. He beat my face in and proceeded to gloat about it. I've played at that location since with Ignite Memories and had some fun, and I met one goon there who doesn't come around these parts anymore who was a lot of fun to play with, but it was pretty lousy back then.

I found a game group later that was full of folks I actually liked gaming and hanging out with, and it made me a lot more enthusiastic for the game overall. Unfortunately a lot of those folks got disenfranchised once 7th dropped and now they just play Malifaux, so I don't even have that much of a 40k group anymore unfortunately. My main opponent is moving out of town too, so my gaming group is pretty rapidly shrinking :(

In other words, Ignite Memories, let's hang out and make stupid Bane voices and play Warhammer again soon.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Direwolf posted:

This only works if your friends aren't bad people

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Reynold posted:

I try to fly casual, avoid gloating, and keep things light, but really kills my enthusiasm for a game when I spend several hours of my increasingly limited free time with people that don't seem to be enjoying themselves AT ALL who agonize over every decision, get visibly upset when things don't go their way

That's why I stopped playing 40k and just stuck with modelling because I quickly discovered that I turned into one of those kinds of people whenever I played and became obviously grouchy and sour whenever things went bad for me. So I just decided to not bother playing 40k and just stick with the painting as not to subject people to my pissy mood.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Honestly the only thing that pisses me off playing 40k these days is when I'm actually not loving up and then I get stunted on by poor dice rolls. It's frustrating and I know I'm being a dick about it, but I have to catch myself sometimes. I played a game against TheChirurgeon a couple weeks ago, where he was the one getting the bad rolls, and I didn't know how to react to being on the other side of that.

Hixson posted:

The trick here is to always be the worst person in your group of friends.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I strive to make every game of 40k a uniquely awful experience for everyone involved.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

ANAmal.net posted:

Honestly the only thing that pisses me off playing 40k these days is when I'm actually not loving up and then I get stunted on by poor dice rolls. It's frustrating and I know I'm being a dick about it, but I have to catch myself sometimes. I played a game against TheChirurgeon a couple weeks ago, where he was the one getting the bad rolls, and I didn't know how to react to being on the other side of that.

The trick here is to always be the worst person in your group of friends.

Really bad dice rolls can be pretty frustrating. Like, the other week I was running cult mech against the Ork formation with all the special characters and meganobs in one huge squad. I fired 42 grav shots at a squad with armor 2. 24 of the grav shots were twin-linked thanks to prescience, the other re-rolled 1s to hit from the canticles. The Orks had a 4+ invuln and feel no pain.

I did one unsaved wound.

Dice happens. All I could do was just laugh at it and watch as the squad chewed up my entire army.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

panascope posted:

I strive to make every game of 40k a uniquely awful experience for everyone involved.

Same, but also, everything I do that isn't 40k, too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At this point I realize I bought into 40k for the first time recently pretty much just with the intent of painting some pieces of plastic. That I can use these pieces of plastic to play a bad game with generally bad people is incidental to that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

Unfortunately a lot of those folks got disenfranchised once 7th dropped and now they just play Malifaux, so I don't even have that much of a 40k group anymore unfortunately.

I mean, it sucks that your 40k gaming group is shrinking so much, but on the other hand this is a perfect opportunity to try out Malifaux which is a much better designed game.

Hint hint.

Cooked Auto posted:

That's why I stopped playing 40k and just stuck with modelling because I quickly discovered that I turned into one of those kinds of people whenever I played and became obviously grouchy and sour whenever things went bad for me. So I just decided to not bother playing 40k and just stick with the painting as not to subject people to my pissy mood.

Yeah this is more or less me. It depends on the opponent, and I make it a point of only playing people I actually like, but there were times years ago that when I was playing I'd get really loving salty if the dice just wouldn't let me do even the most basic of things. I'd like to think I've gotten better about that but I also play 40k so infrequently now (because the game takes loving forever) that it's kind of a non-issue. It's also the only miniatures game that ever made me feel that way so I think that might be a byproduct of the rules being terrible.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

A mysterious package from the Eastern Fringe arrived today

It was my Thousand Egypt Chaos Boys from that naked Tau lady store on eBay

That's just a few of them. I got a full 10-man conversion set. They seem to all be pretty well done, on par with GW's hard plastic stuff. No weird lines or miscasts or anything.

Just wanted to share in case someone wanted to see what they looked like IRL.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 17, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

Yeah, seriously. I learned to play 40k with a bunch of my best friends back in highschool, and I absolutely loved it. Then when I moved to Boston I started playing with the 'Arvard Ardboyz and it was consistently the worst 40k experience of my life. They were the loudest bunch of manchildren I'd ever met, and one of my pick up games had a guy ask to see my army list specifically so he could run off to the corner and write a list that was a hard counter to mine. He beat my face in and proceeded to gloat about it. I've played at that location since with Ignite Memories and had some fun, and I met one goon there who doesn't come around these parts anymore who was a lot of fun to play with, but it was pretty lousy back then.

I found a game group later that was full of folks I actually liked gaming and hanging out with, and it made me a lot more enthusiastic for the game overall. Unfortunately a lot of those folks got disenfranchised once 7th dropped and now they just play Malifaux, so I don't even have that much of a 40k group anymore unfortunately. My main opponent is moving out of town too, so my gaming group is pretty rapidly shrinking :(

In other words, Ignite Memories, let's hang out and make stupid Bane voices and play Warhammer again soon.

A'ight.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I mean, it sucks that your 40k gaming group is shrinking so much, but on the other hand this is a perfect opportunity to try out Malifaux which is a much better designed game.

Hint hint.
I hate the aesthetic and how inconsistent things are per gang, thematically, and I want an army-scale game. 40k's aesthetic and lore have their hooks in me real deep and I don't want to play with a little girl and her killer teddy bear against samurai zombies. If they were doing Necromunda again I'd jump back in in a heartbeat.

Master Twig posted:

Dice happens. All I could do was just laugh at it and watch as the squad chewed up my entire army.
I played a game a few weeks back where I had a Dark Angels captain with that master crafted plasma cannon. It got hot, so I rerolled. I rolled another 1. I then rolled his 2+ armor save and got a third 1 in a row.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, I felt that way til I took a long look through the malifaux website. There are some decent looking dudes hidden away in the catalog, you just gotta steer wide of the kreepy klown poo poo. I'd be down to buy a gremlins box and try it out with you if you find a malifaux squad that doesn't look too ridiculous.

I admit it will be difficult to find something that appeals to your sense of regular-guy-in-an-unwelcome-environment without going all weird steampunky but there might be something.

edit: Von Schill, McCabe, Ramos, Rasputina, Ironsides & Mei Feng all seem pretty decent human characters. Most of the other boxes are admittedly monsters or cheesecake.

edit: do not even click on seamus I swear to god

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 17, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

SRM posted:

I hate the aesthetic and how inconsistent things are per gang, thematically, and I want an army-scale game. 40k's aesthetic and lore have their hooks in me real deep and I don't want to play with a little girl and her killer teddy bear against samurai zombies. If they were doing Necromunda again I'd jump back in in a heartbeat.

I played a game a few weeks back where I had a Dark Angels captain with that master crafted plasma cannon. It got hot, so I rerolled. I rolled another 1. I then rolled his 2+ armor save and got a third 1 in a row.

I had a squad of hormagaunts fail a 2.5 inch charge. Four out of four rolls were a 1. A 1 in 1,298 chance. Pretty rare, but if you play hundreds of games and roll hundreds of times, it's bound to happen. You just remember it more than the time you were snapfiring 6 shots and got 5 hits.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, I remember a time where a rapid-firing 10-man squad of guardsmen managed to get 13 wounds on my marines with lasguns. I passed every save. All of them. That poor IG player. :smith:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's covered in Mortys

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

You ended the show at a good time- considering the level of pessimism and backlash Age of the Emperor will soon create.

This honestly doesn't matter to me. I don't let that impact my enjoyment of the game/hobby.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Master Twig posted:

I'm just going to use this discussion to post this thing again.

I use this thing in tournaments all the time and it pairs with the nids pretty well. I've also used Imperial Guard as genestealer cult a few times as allies before, but they don't play as well with the nids as the knight does. Though I could see allying in a CAD of nids with my guard consisting of a Tervigon in a pod, two mucolid spores and some mawlocs to just pound the enemy backfield while the imperial guard hold back with their long range guns.

This thing is so drat awesome.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

Case in point:

panascope posted:

All my friends are terrible people

Ghost Hand posted:

This honestly doesn't matter to me. I don't let that impact my enjoyment of the game/hobby.

For sure, but you'd have to talk about it if it happened. Going from the reactions to AoS some of your show regulars had, I imagine it would be even more dividing/derailing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I'd say give the game a shot via a demo or something (because it's a very well-made skirmish game) but it looks like you made up your mind anyway so :shrug:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Hell yeah, I did something right for once. Using that wraith head as a bike canopy is :hellyeah:, Buffalo.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
In the Crimson Slaughter codex, if possessed roll Incorporeal Bodies for their mutation (their invulnerable save increased to 3+), does this stack with them having taken a mark of Tzeentch (+1 to invulnerable saves) to give them a 2+ invulnerable save?

Edit - never mind just read it's 3+ maximum for mark of Tzeentch

not lame! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 17, 2015

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So am I right to take away from the Khrone Daemonkin, Chaos Daemons, and Crimson Slaughters codices "this is what the vanilla CSM codex should be"? Because those three are lot better than the latter, as far as I can tell.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DrPop posted:

So am I right to take away from the Khrone Daemonkin, Chaos Daemons, and Crimson Slaughters codices "this is what the vanilla CSM codex should be"? Because those three are lot better than the latter, as far as I can tell.

Don't forget Imperial Armour 13 and the new Siege of Vraks books.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Does a vehicle with Daemonic Possession have to "eat" a model in order to regain a hull point, or does it get a hull point back when a unit embarks on it and the D6 roll isn't a 1?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

not lame! posted:

Does a vehicle with Daemonic Possession have to "eat" a model in order to regain a hull point, or does it get a hull point back when a unit embarks on it and the D6 roll isn't a 1?

It has to eat someone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I'd say give the game a shot via a demo or something (because it's a very well-made skirmish game) but it looks like you made up your mind anyway so :shrug:
Well it's not just that it's not a game I really want to play or anything; I just really want to play 40k with folks I like. While the social interaction with friends is a big thing, I've avoided Bloodbowl and Malifaux and the like because I just have no interest in them. I tried to ask a guy for a demo once but someone else jumped down my throat about it and I think he said "Malifaux" twelve times in under a minute; it was a level of offputting social weirdness I'm not used to with my group. I'd play X-Wing once or twice with them though. I'd definitely try Infinity or Warzone if anyone played those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I get a reasonable amount of enjoyment out of 40k, sometimes I just like the idea of playing a game that doesn't make me drag multiple suitcases full of poo poo across town.

SRM, just do me a quick favor and take a gander at the starter boxes I mentioned in my post. I tried to imagine I was you, and pick out what I could stand to play. If you don't like any of them then I won't bother you again about it.

edit: dang, bloodbowl would have been my other choice.

• Locked thread