Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I KNEW IT! It felt so much like a pilot. I haven't seen a movie with an ending like that since Source Code.

What happened at the end of source code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Rhyno posted:

What happened at the end of source code?

The protagonist travels back in time, and manages to stop a bomb from going off and killing everybody on a train. Except he had to posses someone to go back in time, and he just permanently takes over their body. The protagonist never tells the guy's girlfriend what happened, and just continues the relationship. The movie never acknowledges this.

Hair Is Spiders
Aug 15, 2015

by Ralp

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some movie recommendations, and I think this thread is the best spot for me to ask:

My friends and I are starting a regular horror/supernatural movie night, and we wanted to start by watching as many good ghost story movies as we could track down. We're sticking to relatively recent films (as much as I love some of the old Vincent Price films, they aren't exactly what we're looking for). We also want to err towards films that focus more on atmosphere and mystery than jump scares or overt freak-outs. Also I was asked to focus on movies with "older settings", though I took that to mean they wanted basically haunts house stories rather than Paranormal Activity type stuff.

Here's the list we have so far, can you guys add (or remove!) any suggestions:

The Others
The Awakening
The Orphanage
The Changeling
The Shining
The Innkeepers

I also suggested Session 9, though I admit it doesn't quite fit in with the rest.

At the end of the month the director, Alejandro Amenábar, has a new film coming out with Emma Watson and Ethan Hawke called Regression.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The protagonist travels back in time, and manages to stop a bomb from going off and killing everybody on a train. Except he had to posses someone to go back in time, and he just permanently takes over their body. The protagonist never tells the guy's girlfriend what happened, and just continues the relationship. The movie never acknowledges this.

Not quite what I was thinking about...

After he stops the train bomb from going off, the military handlers working behind the scenes say that they can use him for other functions, other missions. The camera finally reveals that the original guy is missing all kind of body parts, just barely being kept alive in some kind of life support tube, and it sounds like his consciousness will be projected into other people for future emergency scenarios as needed. So it sets up further adventures, like a pilot for a TV show... sort of a Quantum Leap-meets-24 thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Of course the movie never acknowledges this. That's the ending.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some movie recommendations, and I think this thread is the best spot for me to ask:

My friends and I are starting a regular horror/supernatural movie night, and we wanted to start by watching as many good ghost story movies as we could track down. We're sticking to relatively recent films (as much as I love some of the old Vincent Price films, they aren't exactly what we're looking for). We also want to err towards films that focus more on atmosphere and mystery than jump scares or overt freak-outs. Also I was asked to focus on movies with "older settings", though I took that to mean they wanted basically haunts house stories rather than Paranormal Activity type stuff.

Here's the list we have so far, can you guys add (or remove!) any suggestions:

The Others
The Awakening
The Orphanage
The Changeling
The Shining
The Innkeepers

I also suggested Session 9, though I admit it doesn't quite fit in with the rest.

I'm a super fan of The Abandoned which came out of the same After Dark Horror Fest as the previously mentioned The Broken. The pace is somewhat slow but the set is incredibly spooky and it deals with the concept of fate and inevitability in horror better than most any others.

[Source Code]

IShallRiseAgain posted:

To be fair, both the person's life and the woman's were originally evaporated in an explosion. Hijacking it afterwards doesn't steal it from someone else per-se. And the realization that they haven't been simulating anything or even time traveling but rather they've been carelessly creating universes that persist means that only one universe has him hijacking the person's body. The rest of the universes the guy has been given back control when his consciousness was yanked back or he was on the train and now dead. Keeping a "dead man's" body and fostering a new relationship in a universe he helped avoid tragedy doesn't seem so bad as all of the rest of the universes.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I just watched Oculus today and enjoyed it a lot. I love movies that mess with the perception of reality and the mixing of the past and present events was really dynamic.

But daaaamn that ending was bleak. I expect most horror movies to end with a standard "evil never dies" type of ending, but usually there is some sort of victory, no matter how small. But nope, not here.

And then I watched the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :getin:

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 17, 2015

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's The Broken. Pretty good from what I remember.

Yeah that was it, thanks. I remember it being good, but don't remember much else about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

el oso posted:

I just watched Oculus today and enjoyed it a lot. I love movies that mess with the perception of reality and the mixing of the past and present events was really dynamic.

But daaaamn that ending was bleak. I expect most horror movies to end with a standard "evil never dies" type of ending, but usually there is some sort of victory, no matter how small. But nope, not here.

Yeah...
And you can see the ending coming a mile away. It's established pretty early on that the thing, whatever it is, will trick you about reality in order to hurt you. As soon as they unveil the "safeguard" it's like "oh no, I see where this is going". But that's not really a flaw in the film, because the journey is so good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

monkey posted:

Yeah that was it, thanks. I remember it being good, but don't remember much else about it.

I will check it out again. It's one of those movies that's perpetually on Streaming.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

Ape Agitator posted:

[Source Code]

To be fair, both the person's life and the woman's were originally evaporated in an explosion. Hijacking it afterwards doesn't steal it from someone else per-se. And the realization that they haven't been simulating anything or even time traveling but rather they've been carelessly creating universes that persist means that only one universe has him hijacking the person's body. The rest of the universes the guy has been given back control when his consciousness was yanked back or he was on the train and now dead. Keeping a "dead man's" body and fostering a new relationship in a universe he helped avoid tragedy doesn't seem so bad as all of the rest of the universes.

i always thought i was the only one who was bugged by the end of the film.

he just possessed someone. stole their life. has their job (which he is prolly fired from seeing as he blew off a day to spend ferris buellering around with his new girlfriend). has a new family. his family still exists in this universe, and he can't really be with them. its freaking weird.

space-man fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 17, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
source code is great specifically because they don't acknowledge how hosed up the ending is. A lot of people called source code a sci-fi Groundhog Day and that's also what I love about Groundhog Day is that its hosed up but kind of on the DL about it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really enjoy it when people apply that concept to straight up sci-fi. Groundhog Day itself is a comedy on the surface but comes off more as fantasy in concept, but movies like Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow, and the miniseries Day Break all took very different but decidedly science fiction approaches to it, and all succeeded IMO.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love Source Code and I could write pages about it. The ending is literally a new beginning. Not a restart, not a clean slate, a new beginning. The timeline has been altered and everything is different. Yes the thing that's weirding people out is one of those things. But it's also something you should have come to terms with in the first 20 minutes of the movie. It's not like some weird twist that no one ever thought of. It's actually something that's highlighted throughout the film. It is unsettling, but I don't think it's treated like it's not hosed up. The movie isn't telling you "hey this is totally normal and and definitely doesn't have any hosed-up ethical and emotional implications".\

edit: death of the author and all that, but Harold Ramis, the director of Groundhog Day is on record saying that Bill Murray's character was probably stuck in that loop for 30-40 years. Originally he said 10 years, and later revised it. Just thought that was neat.

also I'm pretty sad Daybreak didn't get a second season. While the mythology was a bit shaky, they both executed the mechanical aspects of the premise well AND explored some of the interesting conceptual implications. I really wanted to see more of it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 18, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Would it be worth checking out Daybreak sight unseen? I've never heard of it before this discussion, and I don't want to look up info about it because I prefer to go in as blind as I can.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yep, go for it. I'd say it was 'decent' at worst.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's fun as hell and does a lot with its premise. Go for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Would it be worth checking out Daybreak sight unseen? I've never heard of it before this discussion, and I don't want to look up info about it because I prefer to go in as blind as I can.

Definitely do it. It's very good and it's only one season, so you aren't making a big commitment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

el oso posted:

I really like how the characters are intentionally doing stupid stuff (like not running away or destroying the mirror right away) in order to provoke the monster to appear.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oculus was weird because they were set to destroy the mirror, but then she wanted to videotape it to prove to people it was real or whatever which made the process last a long time and gave way to their eventual defeat.

I kinda liked the movie, I guess, sorta, but it was just really loving dumb. Like, mirror doesn't care. Mirror just wants to kill you. Mike Myers isn't going to be shamed and aww shucks his way through a To Catch A Predator interview when they ambush him in a deserted house.

I guess it was a cautionary tale about pride and our need for relevance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Oculus was weird because they were set to destroy the mirror, but then she wanted to videotape it to prove to people it was real or whatever which made the process last a long time and gave way to their eventual defeat.

I kinda liked the movie, I guess, sorta, but it was just really loving dumb. Like, mirror doesn't care. Mirror just wants to kill you. Mike Myers isn't going to be shamed and aww shucks his way through a To Catch A Predator interview when they ambush him in a deserted house.

Were't they trying to prove their father's innocence, or something? It's been awhile, so I don't remember all the finer details of the premise.

It's also not uncommon for the obvious "solution" to hauntings/evil spirits to be the totally wrong thing to do. Smashing the mirror might not be a good idea. Also, we have to assume that if they did try that right away, it would use its powers to stop them right away. The fact that it can play mind games with them means it can read their intent.

You have to realize, they, as characters in the movie, don't actually know what mirror wants. So "Mirror just want to kill you" may be obvious to us, but not to them. They know that something is hosed up and evil, and they go about it in a rather rational and scientific way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Were't they trying to prove their father's innocence, or something? It's been awhile, so I don't remember all the finer details of the premise.

Yea Gillan's character wanted to prove that the mirror killed her parents, but proving it to the world wasn't as important as proving it to herself and her brother. She thought that was the only way for them to really move on with their lives and put the mirror behind them. If she had just smashed the mirror right away she'd never truly know that she was right.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

It's also not uncommon for the obvious "solution" to hauntings/evil spirits to be the totally wrong thing to do. Smashing the mirror might not be a good idea. Also, we have to assume that if they did try that right away, it would use its powers to stop them right away. The fact that it can play mind games with them means it can read their intent.

You have to realize, they, as characters in the movie, don't actually know what mirror wants. So "Mirror just want to kill you" may be obvious to us, but not to them. They know that something is hosed up and evil, and they go about it in a rather rational and scientific way.

This wasn't an 'evil dead' or 'The Conjuring' type of haunting, I'm much more sympathetic to people caught up in the middle of rampaging ghost kids and plates thrown through the air than I am about a girl who devises a plan over the course of years and then decides that she needs to destroy a thing that can mind control you in the vicinity of the thing that mind controls you.

It was pretty gross/cool when she thought she was eating an apple, but not, at least. It was a movie I would have liked more if... I don't know. The premise was fuckin' tight, at least.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Time Dissolver posted:

source code is great specifically because they don't acknowledge how hosed up the ending is. A lot of people called source code a sci-fi Groundhog Day and that's also what I love about Groundhog Day is that its hosed up but kind of on the DL about it
Also, considering how the director's previous film directly deals with a similar theme presented in that ending, I'm pretty sure it was an intentional choice and not based on ignorance of what it was suggesting.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

It's because it's an extended abuse metaphor and simply getting away from one's abuser is necessary but often not at all sufficient to move past the lingering effects of that abuse - having some kind of proof that the abuser's claims are false can be incredibly important to a survivor's healing process, hope this helps

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Gillan's character wanted to prove that the mirror killed her parents, but proving it to the world wasn't as important as proving it to herself and her brother. She thought that was the only way for them to really move on with their lives and put the mirror behind them. If she had just smashed the mirror right away she'd never truly know that she was right.

And I think that makes sense. It's not like she lives in a world where she already has proof that supernatural evil exists. Destroying an inanimate object because you think it somehow forces people to do stuff is basically being a crazy person. She doesn't want to be a crazy person, so she makes a plan. I dig it.

Drifter posted:

This wasn't an 'evil dead' or 'The Conjuring' type of haunting, I'm much more sympathetic to people caught up in the middle of rampaging ghost kids and plates thrown through the air than I am about a girl who devises a plan over the course of years and then decides that she needs to destroy a thing that can mind control you in the vicinity of the thing that mind controls you.
You're saying that your problem with the movie is that the characters in it weren't acting like they were in a movie... Like they should have just been "oh this is [quantifiable evil] with [some solution]" and then did that, rather than basically being driven insane by what-ifs.

Or do you just go around smashing everything that you think might have evil powers?

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 18, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Wouldn't the first reveal that the mirror's effects were real (the first "ring" of plants dying) have been sufficient to indicate, if not prove, that the mirror was affecting other things and supported the idea that the mirror corrupts living things in the buildings around it? That, along with the history of deaths following it, should have proven at least to herself (and at least allowed the brother to allow for) the mirror's involvement in the murder suicide.

My feelings on 'Oculus' were that it was let down by the ending, though it made sense with the context of the misery following the mirror. And holy poo poo, is Starbuck hot with red hair :heysexy:.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffeehitler posted:

Wouldn't the first reveal that the mirror's effects were real (the first "ring" of plants dying) have been sufficient to indicate, if not prove, that the mirror was affecting other things and supported the idea that the mirror corrupts living things in the buildings around it? That, along with the history of deaths following it, should have proven at least to herself (and at least allowed the brother to allow for) the mirror's involvement in the murder suicide.

My feelings on 'Oculus' were that it was let down by the ending, though it made sense with the context of the misery following the mirror. And holy poo poo, is Starbuck hot with red hair :heysexy:.

It's true, every instance of suspicious things in real life has turned out to be valid proof of superstition and ghost are real.

There are people in real life who point out occurrences like this and claim they have proof of supernatural events. We call them crazy idiots and make fun of them on the internet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Or do you just go around smashing everything that you think might have evil powers?

Begone, Demon!
*punches computer monitor*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Coffeehitler posted:

This is a person who lives in the same world we live in, the real world, and she's been living her entire adult life not knowing if she's crazy or not. She's an intelligent, rational person who has this memory from her past that her adult mind can't justify.

What would it take for you to believe that a mirror was sentient, evil, and trying to kill you? What kind of evidence would satisfy you? And I'm talking about the real-world you that actually exists, not movie-character you.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
I wanted to like Oculus a lot more, and I thought it did a lot of things right. Ultimately, it wandered into characters-do-dumb-things territory, and I don't have as much fun when I have to yell at the characters.

Recommendation Time:
I don't know if it fits in here perfectly, but I recently rediscovered this (obscure?) Clive Barker mid-90's masterpiece, Lord of Illusions, and figured it might have a receptive audience in this bunch. It's more occult magic themed, with Scott Bakula starring as a New York private eye thrown into the middle of a conflict between a cult and super-powered magicians.

The movie is so 90's it hurts, the effects are pretty bad (or OK for 1995), and the dialogue and acting are poor to fair. But it's such a fun ride.

You have the chief from Supertroopers...

An ill-tempered baboon...

the guy from Quantum Leap

and Jean Grey

It also has this guy

this guy

and, um, this...guy

Who says neh?
It's not streaming anywhere at the moment, but if you have the Amazon or Netflix DVD service, then go for it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SirMonkeyButt posted:

I wanted to like Oculus a lot more, and I thought it did a lot of things right. Ultimately, it wandered into characters-do-dumb-things territory, and I don't have as much fun when I have to yell at the characters.

Kinda effed up to yell at abuse victims IMO

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jenny Angel posted:

Just sticking with what they know so they feel at home.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Jenny Angel posted:

Well I already told 'em twice!
:smuggo:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Recommendation Time:
I don't know if it fits in here perfectly, but I recently rediscovered this (obscure?) Clive Barker mid-90's masterpiece, Lord of Illusions, and figured it might have a receptive audience in this bunch. It's more occult magic themed, with Scott Bakula starring as a New York private eye thrown into the middle of a conflict between a cult and super-powered magicians.

The movie is so 90's it hurts, the effects are pretty bad (or OK for 1995), and the dialogue and acting are poor to fair. But it's such a fun ride.

You have the chief from Supertroopers...
<snip>

Who says neh?
It's not streaming anywhere at the moment, but if you have the Amazon or Netflix DVD service, then go for it.

90% of your images don't work, for some reason. All iIcan see is "this guy".

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Snak posted:

90% of your images don't work, for some reason. All iIcan see is "this guy".

Whoops.
Well, just take my word for it...

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

el oso posted:

And then I watched the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :getin:

I liked Oculus more than some of the posters here seem to, but Absentia was, I think, a way better movie. It's one I keep coming back to, just because the premise of the monster is so strange. Oculus is 1408 with a mirror, but Absentia is Lovecraft levels of strangeness without being all tentacles and suchlike.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I think that what makes Oculus special is the direction and cinematography, or general concept of how the flashbacks and hallucinations are portrayed. They just knock it out of the part.

I will have to check out Absentia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

This is a person who lives in the same world we live in, the real world, and she's been living her entire adult life not knowing if she's crazy or not. She's an intelligent, rational person who has this memory from her past that her adult mind can't justify.

What would it take for you to believe that a mirror was sentient, evil, and trying to kill you? What kind of evidence would satisfy you? And I'm talking about the real-world you that actually exists, not movie-character you.

I must have missed the "Based on a True Story" part of the credits.

That said, there was nothing else to indicate that it was a "realistic" horror. If it was shakey-cam or body-cam for everything but the flashbacks, I'd base my analysis in reality. As it is, you have to base any discussion on the film's mythos, as you would with the Halloween/Elm Street/Evil Dead series'. Or do you say that those are in the real world also?

• Locked thread