Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The word "mogul" was actually invented to describe Donald Trump, and isn't technically accurate if applied to anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Here’s a means of culling, an early “show of organizing” or whatever that people babble on about : If you are not beating Donald Trump by the beginning of August, you should just drop out of the race. Or worse: drop out of public life. It means you are a loser. Did you see that show yesterday at Trump Tower? It was the funniest thing we’ve ever seen. If you can’t beat that, you have no business continuing to run for president.

This goes double if you're still polling below the margin of error.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

i'm pretty sure chris christie is a goon and has a forums account, stop being so mean you guys, he's one of us

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
I am batman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYE74Mz2wE

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ranker.com says trump is friends with usher. there's his vp pick

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Secretary of Defense Chuck Norris. Think of all the memes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trump doing impressions:

Ted Cruz doing impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kpy2V-J4ZU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Donald Trump is another Andrew Jackson.

He's rich and independent of all the eggheads (Jackson was big-time slave owner and a populist). Also remember that Jackson plunged the country into 80 years of economic chaos. And he was an ideological chimera and a national celebrity before he was elected. He's populist and brash and vulgar. Trump will kick the Mexicans like Jackson kicked the Indians.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

Donald Trump is another Andrew Jackson.

He's rich and independent of all the eggheads (Jackson was big-time slave owner and a populist). Also remember that Jackson plunged the country into 80 years of economic chaos. And he was an ideological chimera and a national celebrity before he was elected. He's populist and brash and vulgar. Trump will kick the Mexicans like Jackson kicked the Indians.

You know, I was thinking the same thing a while and was wondering who would be the first person crass enough to seriously compare Trump's future actions to the Trail of Tears. I was betting on someone on MSNBC, but I guess I was wrong.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Human Crouton posted:

You know, I was thinking the same thing a while and was wondering who would be the first person crass enough to seriously compare Trump's future actions to the Trail of Tears. I was betting on someone on MSNBC, but I guess I was wrong.
If he manages to forcibly expel 12 million people then it will be.

Probably won't manage to though.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How did Andrew Jackson plunge the United States into 80 years of economic chaos

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

I think someone did it in the 2016 elections thread a few days ago. I hope Trump doesn't also dismantle this country's banking system with some smugly-worded vetoes.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tautologicus posted:

How did Andrew Jackson plunge the United States into 80 years of economic chaos
He killed the Second Bank so everything was topsy turvy until centralized banking came along later.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

im a little slow but i just now realized bernie sanders is "feels man" or whatever it's called

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nagato posted:

im a little slow but i just now realized bernie sanders is "feels man" or whatever it's called

Tune in next week when Nagato realizes that trump is a rare Pepe, EXCITEMENT, intrigue, all here!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Omi-Polari posted:

If he manages to forcibly expel 12 million people then it will be.

Probably won't manage to though.

Well, see, there's a pretty significant difference between the ethnic cleansing of people who do have a right to be there, and the deportation of a bunch of people who have no right to be in the country at all. There's a discussion to be had about whether they should have the legal right to remain in the country, but as of now they do not have that right, nor is it a right extended to undocumented immigrants in most other countries.

I think Trump's proposed immigration policy is loving retarded, no question, but let's not compare apples and oranges.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

Well, see, there's a pretty significant difference between the ethnic cleansing of people who do have a right to be there, and the deportation of a bunch of people who have no right to be in the country at all. There's a discussion to be had about whether they should have the legal right to remain in the country, but as of now they do not have that right, nor is it a right extended to undocumented immigrants in most other countries.

I think Trump's proposed immigration policy is loving retarded, no question, but let's not compare apples and oranges.

The rights of immigrants in other countries don't really matter given the fairly unique immigration heritage in the United States, the Americas have a their own circumstance in that regard. Just because we have always had a schizophrenic racist streak celebrating and hating whichever immigration wave is currently underway doesent really undercut that traditionally this is how it has always been, we have simply raised the bar on the same amount of traffic. These are not people that would be here if there wasnt a need for them, there is obviously employment and entire sectors seeking them, pretending that is an issue that is solved by kicking them out and ignoring both the social and economic consequences is frankly incredibly stupid.

Spaceman Future! has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Aug 18, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

He killed the Second Bank so everything was topsy turvy until centralized banking came along later.

What you call topsy turvy i call dynamic..we had like 20 competing currencies for a little while

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Spaceman Future! posted:

The rights of immigrants in other countries don't really matter given the fairly unique immigration heritage in the United States, the Americas have a their own circumstance in that regard.

[citation needed]

I assure you Canada doesn't just let anyone in, either, and we have a similar history regarding settlement/colonization/immigration. The problem is that the US has a very large border with a fairly poor country, and has in many ways been turning a blind eye to the issue of illegal immigration because it works out pretty conveniently for the people in power. The route to legal immigration is also needlessly long and complex, and operates very differently from other first-world nations from what I hear. Saying these problems need to be addressed is neither racism nor genocide. I don't think Trump's plan is a workable solution, but then again I can't say I've got any better ideas.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

[citation needed]

I assure you Canada doesn't just let anyone in, either, and we have a similar history regarding settlement/colonization/immigration. The problem is that the US has a very large border with a fairly poor country, and has in many ways been turning a blind eye to the issue of illegal immigration because it works out pretty conveniently for the people in power. The route to legal immigration is also needlessly long and complex, and operates very differently from other first-world nations from what I hear. Saying these problems need to be addressed is neither racism nor genocide. I don't think Trump's plan is a workable solution, but then again I can't say I've got any better ideas.

What exactly are you looking for a citation of? The historical precedent of immigration into the US or the Americas in genral? Which time frame from that history are you curious about? Specifically.

Also, saying that kicking everyone out without any plan is stupid isn't saying that there are no problems to address, also note the distict lack of reference to genocide anywhere in my post. Are you sure you were responding to me and not.. someone you made up?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nagato posted:

It is a highly prescient pic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

What exactly are you looking for a citation of? The historical precedent of immigration into the US or the Americas in genral? Which time frame from that history are you curious about? Specifically.

Also, saying that kicking everyone out without any plan is stupid isn't saying that there are no problems to address, also note the distict lack of reference to genocide anywhere in my post. Are you sure you were responding to me and not.. someone you made up?

The genocide/ethnic cleansing guy was from a few pages back, but I feel like it's all a symptom of the same thing: some idea that, because Donald Trump dares to have an (admittedly insane) plan about immigration enforcement, he's some kind of a racist. I honestly don't think he is a racist, nor do I think that being in favour of proper immigration enforcement is always tied to racism, although it certainly is in some cases.

Saying America has a different history with regards to immigration is a red herring. Laws can and do change. Personally, I think the laws need to be changed to provide an easier and more secure pathway to immigration and permanent residency, both in the US and Canada, which I think is very much in keeping with our shared history of being "nations of immigrants." This should be extended to economic migrants, both skilled and unskilled, as well as refugees/asylum-seekers. That's still not a good excuse for ignoring the immigration laws we do have.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

The genocide/ethnic cleansing guy was from a few pages back, but I feel like it's all a symptom of the same thing: some idea that, because Donald Trump dares to have an (admittedly insane) plan about immigration enforcement, he's some kind of a racist. I honestly don't think he is a racist, nor do I think that being in favour of proper immigration enforcement is always tied to racism, although it certainly is in some cases.

Saying America has a different history with regards to immigration is a red herring. Laws can and do change. Personally, I think the laws need to be changed to provide an easier and more secure pathway to immigration and permanent residency, both in the US and Canada, which I think is very much in keeping with our shared history of being "nations of immigrants." This should be extended to economic migrants, both skilled and unskilled, as well as refugees/asylum-seekers. That's still not a good excuse for ignoring the immigration laws we do have.

Undocumented workers currently represent 5.1% of the workforce. Obviously the laws we *do* have are economically untenable, if our workforce can not bear these jobs without undocumented people in them then the laws need to be changed to suit. As for ignoring the immigration laws we do have, who the hell cares? These people pay sales tax, they pay in many cases taxes on their homes, social security, income, and all other manner of taxes without receiving the benefit of them. They pay into the system in full without the benefit of the programs they support, there is no net negative to their presence. There is no logical reason for them not to be here, saying "but the law" is stupid, the law is stupid, we can change the laws and also not punish the people who broke a dumb law to fill an economic necessity for BOTH parties.

Also, you dont single out Mexicans unless youre being a racist, there are a poo poo ton of undocumented Asian, African, middle eastern, European and even Canadian workers out there. If you are making an honest claim to punish wrongdoers or whatever the gently caress thats supposed to be an honest argument would not to be to ignore literally half, the other 5 million undocumented workers, and rail on about a wall along the Mexican border. there's already a loving Moat, whats a wall gonna do? You gonna keep people who are coming to the US to work on top of ladders out with a few bricks? The gently caress kind of dumb idea is that?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

E: DP

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

Undocumented workers currently represent 5.1% of the workforce. Obviously the laws we *do* have are economically untenable, if our workforce can not bear these jobs without undocumented people in them then the laws need to be changed to suit. As for ignoring the immigration laws we do have, who the hell cares? These people pay sales tax, they pay in many cases taxes on their homes, social security, income, and all other manner of taxes without receiving the benefit of them. They pay into the system in full without the benefit of the programs they support, there is no net negative to their presence. There is no logical reason for them not to be here, saying "but the law" is stupid, the law is stupid, we can change the laws and also not punish the people who broke a dumb law to fill an economic necessity for BOTH parties.

Oh, absolutely. The US economy is very much reliant on the labour of illegal immigrants, and that's a problem that should be addressed as part of immigration reform. However, there are some very significant problems with the status quo: namely, that due to their legal status, it's easy for employers to underpay and abuse illegal/undocumented immigrants. This needs to be addressed through wholesale reform of the immigration system to allow a path for legal residency for more unskilled workers, like those that are currently crossing illegally. Trump's policy is very stupid in that regard, because it doesn't address that side of the coin.

quote:

Also, you dont single out Mexicans unless youre being a racist, there are a poo poo ton of undocumented Asian, African, middle eastern, European and even Canadian workers out there. If you are making an honest claim to punish wrongdoers or whatever the gently caress thats supposed to be an honest argument would not to be to ignore literally half, the other 5 million undocumented workers, and rail on about a wall along the Mexican border. there's already a loving Moat, whats a wall gonna do? You gonna keep people who are coming to the US to work on top of ladders out with a few bricks? The gently caress kind of dumb idea is that?

I disagree. People who have crossed the border illegally are different from those who have crossed legally, but violate one or more terms of their visa. If you cross the border legally, it means that you are legally admissible to the US, which at least means that you don't have a criminal record (for example). It doesn't necessarily mean you have the right to reside indefinitely or work, but you are documented as someone who has legally gained access to the United States. The biggest group of completely undocumented immigrants is always going to be from Latin America, due to proximity, comparative ease of crossing, visa policy (compared to Canada), and economic conditions. I'm not saying that Mexicans or Latinos should be singled out, merely that the fact that Latinos are over-represented in the group of people affected by this policy, compared to the general population, is not in and of itself evidence of racism.

I think the wall idea is retarded, but the idea that immigration laws must be stringently enforced and the border secured is a necessary part of immigration reform.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

Oh, absolutely. The US economy is very much reliant on the labour of illegal immigrants, and that's a problem that should be addressed as part of immigration reform. However, there are some very significant problems with the status quo: namely, that due to their legal status, it's easy for employers to underpay and abuse illegal/undocumented immigrants. This needs to be addressed through wholesale reform of the immigration system to allow a path for legal residency for more unskilled workers, like those that are currently crossing illegally. Trump's policy is very stupid in that regard, because it doesn't address that side of the coin.

I disagree. People who have crossed the border illegally are different from those who have crossed legally, but violate one or more terms of their visa. If you cross the border legally, it means that you are legally admissible to the US, which at least means that you don't have a criminal record (for example). It doesn't necessarily mean you have the right to reside indefinitely or work, but you are documented as someone who has legally gained access to the United States. The biggest group of completely undocumented immigrants is always going to be from Latin America, due to proximity, comparative ease of crossing, visa policy (compared to Canada), and economic conditions. I'm not saying that Mexicans or Latinos should be singled out, merely that the fact that Latinos are over-represented in the group of people affected by this policy, compared to the general population, is not in and of itself evidence of racism.

I think the wall idea is retarded, but the idea that immigration laws must be stringently enforced and the border secured is a necessary part of immigration reform.

There is still absolutely no reason to single out Hispanics if your goal is overall immigration reform. If the point is reform of immigration the race of the immigrating person is immaterial, even if 99.9% of all people entering the US illegally were Hispanics you would still have no reason to single them out, as you are addressing an immigration issue, not a race issue, Hispanics are not illegal, being hispanic is not illegal, there is no reason for race to enter the calculus unless you WANT it to enter the calculus.

Lets say that 90% of all illegal immigrants were Canadian, because in this scenario they stated that "Canada is a snow driven hellhole full of awful people, we just want to live in a real country" (this scenario is wholly hypothetical), they would continue "we snuck into your actual country so that our lives could have worth, as our effort and opinions in Canada may not have existed, since it isnt a real place but a theoretical shitpile left behind by fur trappers". The fact that they are smelly Canadian immigrants does not matter, you are enforcing against them because of the illegal immigration status, you do not refer to this effort as "Getting rid of those freeloading mouth breathing Canadians" (hypothetical) because you are only enforcing imigration law, the race or nationality of the immigrators have no bearing on your action, that is irrelevant data. If you wanted to capitalize on the number in America that hate Canadians though, then you have an absolute motivation to bring that to the forefront, and since everyone hates Canada that would be a powerful political ploy in your party, it would also still be completely Racist against the backwoods inbred Canadian people.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This thread is confusing me. Do we want illegal immigrants to perform low paying jobs because our economy relies on them, or do we want to pay everybody a minimum wage of $15 per hour?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

This thread is confusing me. Do we want illegal immigrants to perform low paying jobs because our economy relies on them, or do we want to pay everybody a minimum wage of $15 per hour?

We want service jobs to pay $15 an hour and we want illegals to perform undervalued labor in the agricultural sector.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I'm torn. I don't want to HAVE to speak spanish but i love taco trucks

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Spanish is a cool and useful language spoken around the globe.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Quiero dos tacos, por favor. It's not even that hard.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Spaceman Future! posted:

Canada is a snow driven hellhole full of awful people, ............ the backwoods inbred Canadian people.

I think there is like only 35 million people in Canada.

So if we had 20 million illegal Canadians, Canada would be over half empty.

Canada should be the 51st to 61st state (everything but Quebec)

edit typo

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Tricky D posted:

Quiero dos tacos, por favor. It's not even that hard.

Soemtimes you want to hit on the taco truck chick even if shes married, lay off!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Trump, you're fired

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

tentative8e8op posted:

Trump, you're fired

"I am an exceptional candidate"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

coworker was singing the praises of Donald Trump, saying that he would bring America back to its former glory and blahdy blah. She went on to argue that racism against whites has been more prevalent than ever after Obama took office. She also said that Indonesians poop in the middle of their floors and eat it, and that’s why we need to close the borders.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
trumps got the facist vote locked up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AfroLine posted:

coworker was singing the praises of Donald Trump, saying that he would bring America back to its former glory and blahdy blah. She went on to argue that racism against whites has been more prevalent than ever after Obama took office. She also said that Indonesians poop in the middle of their floors and eat it, and that’s why we need to close the borders.

Trump's got this. Indonesian dung in every pot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AfroLine posted:

Majapahit culture lives on.

• Locked thread