Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everything is a compromise and the phone designs all look blargh. The leaked images of the Nexus 5 2015 rear look good and minimalistic enough, but I'm sure they're loving over the front with some big rear end bezel as already speculated based on leaked specs.

The camera lump is... lumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/16/an-alleged-leak-of-lgs-nexus-5-2015-bullhead-pops-up-on-google/

AP posted an image of a purported LG N5 2015, though they say they're suspicious of it's authenticity. If it is real, then yes the camera will be lumpy indeed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I can live with that. Given that the roll-off of the bump is relatively shallow (--edit: smooth, whatever), it looks OK to me. Less gaudy than the Samsung camera bump. The metallic circle of the fingerprint scanner is kind of a sore spot, wish it was plastic the same color of the backplate.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 17, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hopefully huge bump = high quality?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rastor posted:

Hopefully huge bump = high quality?

Huge bump = should have used that space for a bigger battery.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Skeezy posted:

If I wanted to buy a replacement Galaxy S6 fast charge cable where could I get one on the cheap?

I assume Monoprice would be good, but what's the proper cable that would work?

The block is what matters the most. Just don't get a $.50 Ali Express cable and you should be fine, I've been able to fast charge using an 'adaptive fast charging' block and older USB cable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Hopefully huge bump means bigger sensor and better Lens. Could make for a much betterer camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The thickness claimed in the leaked specs better exclude the camera bump. Would be a drat shame if battery capacity suffers because of limp-wristed sissies that keep wanting thin phones (god, I still remember the drama about the thickness and weight of the Nokia Lumia 920).

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Huge bump = should have used that space for a bigger battery.
But...but... my millimeters difference in thinness :qq:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The thickness claimed in the leaked specs better exclude the camera bump. Would be a drat shame if battery capacity suffers because of limp-wristed sissies that keep wanting thin phones (god, I still remember the drama about the thickness and weight of the Nokia Lumia 920).
I'm guessing the thin spec is the back, thick spec is the bump.
Hopefully.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh yeah, now I see it. 9.8m for the bump, 8mm for the back.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Having used a Lumia 1020 for testing purposes, a fat camera bump like that is more annoying than it would seem at first glance. The phone just never sits flat on a table.

The Nexus bump is much smaller in diameter than the Lumia though so maybe it's less of an issue; then again, it might become more annoying because of how slight it is. At least it'd probably be masked pretty well by a good case.

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
My Galaxy S3 has finally given up and died after what has been a long and drawn out death.
I've got around £250 I can drop on a new phone ASAP... is the LG G3 a safe bet or is there something with better bang for buck?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
For what it's worth there was a post a few days earlier of renders based on leaked specs and case manufacturer schematics and yadayada and they seem nigh-on identical to this Nexus 5 image, so seems pretty solid.
http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2015/08/uswitch_exclusive_lg_nexus_5_renders_confirm_rear_fingerprint_scanner_and_5_2_screen/

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
May I suggest a new thread name?

The Android Thread - it is TYOOL 2015 and we're back to hardware keyboard chat keyboards, thanks Samsung

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

isndl posted:

Having used a Lumia 1020 for testing purposes, a fat camera bump like that is more annoying than it would seem at first glance. The phone just never sits flat on a table.

The Nexus bump is much smaller in diameter than the Lumia though so maybe it's less of an issue; then again, it might become more annoying because of how slight it is. At least it'd probably be masked pretty well by a good case.

Most people will put it in a case, if only to smooth out the bump - which means they could easily have made the battery ~800mAH bigger and just made the whole phone as thick as the lens.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Cardboard cutout time folks:

http://youtu.be/-kbhLIQV_pY

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bronin posted:

I have a specific pair of jean shorts I use for testing cardboard cutouts, to ensure fair and optimum testing conditions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huh, with a 5.2" screen, I thought it would be smaller.

It looks almost exactly the same size as my turbo with a 5.2" screen, but my Turbo has both the chin and physical buttons on the bottom.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bronin posted:

drat that's a lot bigger than the current N5.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bob A Feet posted:

Dude, thats awesome.

Agreed, yet somehow I got screwed: "*The Screen Assurance program is not available for Droid Turbo in Blue Ballistic Nylon purchased at Best Buy." I wanted black and they were out of stock, I wonder why that exclusion exists.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LastInLine posted:

For a bigger camera and battery and front speakers I'll allow it.

Oh hey, Marshmellow.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Marshmellow.
Marshmallow.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skeezy posted:

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Pretty sure it will be 5.2, but hey cool.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nimper posted:

Pretty sure it will be 5.2, but hey cool.

It's probably 5.2 but I saw it labeled as 6 on Twitter.

But yeah it's more than likely 5.2 tbh

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hey man, don't harsh my mellow.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's 6.0, come on it's a quick search away

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/17/marshmallow-is-android-6-0-as-confirmed-by-newest-sdk/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

Yeah :( I was hoping for a similar footprint to the 2013 model

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does any one have the new third M Preview? I need to know if the NJTransit app works in it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Skeezy posted:

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Great silhouette guys!!!!!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-screen-assurance-faqs/

There is a promo with the Droid Turbo, wherein you get one free replacement due to broken screen, provided it happens within 2 years of purchase.

Anyone use this on a screen lift issue? There is no screen damage on mine, but the screen is lifting in the bottom left part of the phone. I will hit up the VZN store tonight, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So has there been any word/rumors about what sort of carrier compatibility the 2015 N5 will have? Will it be the same deal as the N6, where it's one model for all the major US carriers?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

So has there been any word/rumors about what sort of carrier compatibility the 2015 N5 will have? Will it be the same deal as the N6, where it's one model for all the major US carriers?

I'd wager it will be like the N6 with Verizon compatibility being the wildcard but there's nothing to go on at the moment. Given the chipset rumors say it's Qualcomm I'm sure it'll have the radio compatibility it needs.

As for the Nexus 6 2015 I think that's supposed to be on Huawei's SoC and I have no idea what their modem situation is like.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Was hoping for Marmite

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

bronin posted:

Yeah :( I was hoping for a similar footprint to the 2013 model

Same here, I was looking for an upgrade to my cracked screen current Nexus 5, but will likely be looking somewhere else instead. That extra bit of size is all it takes for it to be really uncomfortable in my pocket, my current Nexus 5 is pushing it already.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Newest Hangouts update broke group MMS for my phone. Uninstalled the update and it went right back to working. Apparently this is affecting a lot of people; rest in piss new Hangouts.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Propaganda Hour posted:

Newest Hangouts update broke group MMS for my phone. Uninstalled the update and it went right back to working. Apparently this is affecting a lot of people; rest in piss new Hangouts.
I think this was posted earlier in this thread, with a link where google said it'll be fixed in the future.

~google~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Zom Aur posted:

I think this was posted earlier in this thread, with a link where google said it'll be fixed in the future.

~google~

Group MMS for Google Voice is part of the new Hangouts update but requires a server side switch. Which was switched today.

Group MMS from your carrier number using Hangouts as your SMS client just plains sucks and hasn't be acknowledged by Google at all as far as I know. Also, long threads just bog down the new Hangouts.

I just installed Messenger and only use Hangouts for, well, actual Hangouts and my google voice number, which I use for work.