Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

:frogsiren::siren:OH GOD I BROKE 100!:siren::frogsiren:

(ignore fairways I dont know how to input them in golfshot yet)

Went out with my dad today and started on the back 9 because there were 3 groups ahead of us on the front 9, 2 of which had small children playing with them. By the end of the back 9 I had zero hope of breaking 100 so I made then bend thinking "Whatever, this gives me a chance to work on making smart shots instead of trying to get more yardage out of them." and man did it pay off. After 7, which was just a poo poo show of a hole, my dad mentioned that all I needed to do was finish the last 2 holes with bogeys to break 100, probably in an attempt to make me nervous and gently caress up because he enjoys my golf misery. I was so nervous by hole 9, but I played it so drat well and I felt so loving vindicated sinking the 4 inch putt for par.

If I can break 100 again Im going to set a new goal (95), which is going to rely almost entirely on my haphazard putting improving.

I seriously cant wait to get out again tomorrow. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Fantastic, well done mate :)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Furnaceface posted:

I seriously cant wait to get out again tomorrow. :woop:

Congratulations. That's what it's all about, man. Good luck to you.

I got some new shoes in, so I'm going to break them in.

:siren::siren:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nope

nooooooooooooooooope

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, can you put together a PGA Championship thread around Saturday/Sunday so I can just dump the golf ball bet info in one of the first posts? I don't think I should make a separate thread for it.
:siren: PGA Championship thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735606 :siren:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

Congratulations. That's what it's all about, man. Good luck to you.

I got some new shoes in, so I'm going to break them in.

:siren::siren:

Enjoy you round of golf in Baghdad.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I take back everything I said golf is a dumb game for crazy people that get some perverse joy out of doing the sporting equivalent to punching yourself in the testicles.

Why yes I had a really bad round after that 98. 110 and it wasnt just one thing, I was bad everywhere. And Im going out again Tuesday because Im one of those crazy people. :smithicide:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah golf makes no sense, get used to it :D
------------------------
Anyone watching the Barracuda Championship? Andres Gonzales was so frustrated with 4 bogeys in a row that he punched a sign and injured himself.

quote:

After Romero punched the tee box sign, officials checked on him while allowing a group, including Patrick Rodgers, to play through. Romero’s playing partner Wil Wilcox had to endure the delay as well.

Romero decided to play on, taking advantage of the scoring format. A player could lose no more than 3 points on a hole, which was the score assigned to a double bogey or worse. So Romero putted his ball off of each of the final four tees, then picking up the ball to take a double bogey. He went from gaining 3 points to losing 9 points on the day. Afterward, Romero withdrew.

The incident hurts Romero’s chances to keep his PGA Tour card, with the WD projected to keep him in the mid-150s in FedEx Cup points.

Quite a bit of conjecture and I was wondering if he'd do the same thing on all 18 holes for the final round. I guess they convinced him not to...

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Rounds for the last few days.

Front 9 - "Okay, not too bad, making the turn in -1, let's see if I can finish in the 60s."
Back 9 - "how do I golf"

Made worse was that I was playing with my longtime golf partner, and I lost our (net strokes) match by 2, even with him finishing +5 on the last two holes. +5 on the last 5 holes for me is just unacceptable. On every one of those back 9 holes, except for hole 12, I hit a shot to a spot I just couldn't go. Even on 18, which is a tough finishing hole, I made a bad decision. A par would have tied that match for me in the end, but I wasn't making many putts, so I tried to force the issue and stick it close on the last. I smoked a drive, then got aggressive with a back pin, flew it just long enough to bounce off the back of the green (adrenaline?), and I put myself in jail. Took two pitches just to get onto the green.

This course isn't as long, and you can definitely make some birdies (5 reachable par 5s from the white tees), but all of the fairways are tree-lined, and more than half of the holes have creeks or water hazards crossing the fairway to take driver out of the player's hands.

My poor play seemed to carry over from the previous round, starting with 3 straight bogeys. I had to remind myself to stay patient, and I played the next 8 holes in -5, including going birdie / chip-in eagle to start the back 9.

On hole 14, I yanked my tee shot into a hazard, and then striped a hybrid from 232 to the middle of the green to give myself a chance at a water birdie. Gave it a really nice run, but couldn't get it to fall.

Fairways/greens on the next 2 holes, and then I screwed up 17. Flared an 8i right of the green, then dropped another and hit it to 4 feet. That second guy's always better, right? Couldn't save par there, and then we get to 18.

18 is undergoing fairway renovation, so it's actually a 215 yard par 4. There's a creek in front that requires about 200 to carry. I blasted a 3 wood about 60 yards right of the green (lol), hit a decent pitch (all things considered), but couldn't make a 15 footer to finish under par.

Another disappointing finish, but I did well to get it back to even after that start.

I'm gonna play Redstone again tomorrow. I hear it's in even worse shape than it was a few weeks ago, plus they supposedly punched the greens today. I'll be lowering my expectations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Has anyone ever used a Full Swing simulator? I'm considering spending an hour or two on one in my area once my new wedges arrive to see what my numbers look like. But I'm not sure how accurate they are compared to like a Trackman, or if they even have the option to be used like that rather than playing an actual round on one of the sim courses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Has anyone ever used a Full Swing simulator? I'm considering spending an hour or two on one in my area once my new wedges arrive to see what my numbers look like. But I'm not sure how accurate they are compared to like a Trackman, or if they even have the option to be used like that rather than playing an actual round on one of the sim courses.
My understanding is that Trackman is the only thing that can properly calculate spin.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I should wait to get the lie adjusted on my Ping G20s until I have formed a consistent swing, right? It is not based on height/arms/etc as far as I can tell.

I hope I get to play this weekend. I have been practicing in my net but I know that is not ideal since for all I know the flight pattern would suck. I am taking a lesson tomorrow. I am currently trying to focus on shifting my weight and keeping my left arm straight at impact. I was not really doing either. It is leading to a lot of mishits but that is learning I guess.

Does anyone have any good drills for working on either of those two things?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Played Golf Club of Houston from the tips. It rained pretty hard last night. We played lift, clean, and place, and the greens were punched and sanded Monday. They were just dreadful to putt on. I feel maybe a few putts would have fallen, especially on the first few holes, if the greens were better. I made a ridiculous 60 footer on the practice green, then I didn't make a putt over 10 feet for the rest of the day.

Look at that course slope/rating lol

Pros:
  • Wanted to break 80, shot 77. :woop:
  • Only missed 3 fairways all day, and I hit 10 greens.
  • No 3 putts.
  • Played from the signage on every hole.

Cons:
  • Obviously, no birdies.
  • Greens were bad for a municipal course, they were really bad for a $99 course, and they were beyond ridiculous for a PGA Tour stop. I hope to go back a few weeks before the Houston Open next March. Surely they'll have it all together then...
  • Fairways were soft. Ball plugged, and I got no run out. I probably averaged a shade under 260 off the tee, but I was piping my driver. I had 5 full plugs in the fairway, and numerous times my ball would only be a few feet from its pitch mark. It made a long course even longer.
  • Should have been -1 through 2, but I missed two very makeable putts (one for birdie on #1 and one for an up and down par on #2) on the easiest two holes on the course. Wasn't the start I was looking for.
  • On hole 8, I let the caddie's doubt of my club selection affect me, put a janky swing on a full wedge, almost rinsed my approach.

Overall, pretty dang satisfied about my round.

Recap:

Hole 1 - Acceptable drive up the left, caught a 9i a hair thin, came out even better than expected. Had 7 feet for birdie, but I couldn't convert. Putt noticeably wobbled on the right edge, but I didn't give it enough speed on its line to overcome any bumps anyway.

Hole 2 - Fatted a 7i from the middle of the fairway, then hit a gorgeous flop over a bunker to 6 feet. Just misread that par putt.

Hole 4 - I had a ball plug off the tee on 3 (still made par), and then this one was fully submerged. Took all 4 of us plus the caddie to find it. It was definitely lift/clean/place for the day. Hit a decent 3 wood up the center, but a pedestrian wedge on resulted in a two putt from 25 feet.

Hole 5 - OMG this hole is so long. Driver - 3 wood into this par 4. I found the front of the green, which was satisfying enough, but I was 57 feet away. I left my first putt 10 feet short, but I converted that one. That was the longest putt I made all day.

Hole 6 - Took on some fairway bunkers at the corner, but I bounced off the top of them and rolled down in it. Decent lie, but I fatted my 6i from 175. Had 58 yards to the pin, but I just swung way too easy on it. Two putt from the front fringe for a bogey.

Hole 7 - Hit my 7i on to the green, and my ball settled into a valley out of sight. One of my playing partners thinned his tee shot into the green, and it ricocheted off my ball. We placed it about where we thought it might be, based on the pitch mark. Watched said playing partner drain a 60 footer for birdie, I two putted from maybe 35 feet. DISHEARTENING.

Hole 8 - So I hit a decent drive, then laid up with a long iron to avoid the lake on the right. I had 127 to a middle pin, wind helping just a bit. My stock GW goes 125, and I don't put a lot of backspin on the ball. As I'm standing over the shot, the caddy (maybe noticing that this club looks different from my irons), asks what I'm hitting. I tell him it's my 50*, and he asks if that's the club (to use). I kinda smile and tell him it is, since it's 125 on a full swing, blahblahblah. He says, "Most pros don't hit a full wedge. Too much spin." I tell him again that it's the number I'm playing to, and I won't be spinning it off the green. He says, "Mkay!" and steps back. I put a janky swing on it, thinned and pushed. It catches a bank and rolls down, stopping near the water. I got up and down for par, but he reminds me that during the tournament week, that would have been in the water. I think to myself that I would have fired him if it were a tournament week. :argh:

Hole 9 - Still annoyed, and now questioning if I had enough club, I shove a 3i hybrid right of the green. Landed my pitch where I wanted, but the sanded greens weren't allowing for much rollout. Two putt from 20 feet or so for bogey.

Hole 10 - Now I'm forcing the issue. I tried to shape this tee shot and let out some aggression, but that just resulted in my dropkicking it. It wasn't terribly chunky, but it was 228 to carry the hazard, 236 to reach the fairway...and I hit it maybe 230. Bounced a 9i off the front, and it rolled right but pin high. Chipped back up the hill and hit the pin, but it didn't fall. Made par.

Hole 11 - Busted this drive, and it went all of 252 yards. Pretty strong headwind, and my ball plugged again. Hit a really nice 4i to the front center of the green. Two putt par.

Hole 12 - Should have birdied this hole. 268 yard drive, 66 yard wedge to 12 feet, uphill birdie putt. I wanted it a little too much, and I blew it past almost 4 feet. Knocked it in for par, tried my birdie putt again, rolled it in. C'est la vie.

Hole 13 - Three shot par 5 for sure, but couldn't get an 18 footer to fall.

Hole 14 - This was an annoyance. I had the perfect club, but I caught it on the toe, and I even fatted it just a little bit. It flew on a pretty decent line, and it might have even carried on to the green, but it was 2 yards too far the right, so it kicked into a bunker. So-so approach out, two putt bogey.

Hole 15 - Last legitimate birdie opportunity on the course. Busted a drive, hit a good 3 wood (found the left rough though), and then I hit a PW that was sitting up in the rough, but I still had grass between the ball and the face. Stepped on a wedge to get it there, and once again dropped it pin high, 15 feet to go. Downhill, left to right birdie putt went ridiculously straight. The caddie had given up trying to read greens for us because they weren't breaking as they should. Whatever, par!

Hole 16 - 4i hybrid to the right side of the green, meaty two putt from almost 40 feet.

Hole 17 - There's a bunker that's 255 to carry. If done so, this hole is not an issue. It was a little into the wind, and my intention was to aim left of the bunker and sorta shape it around. I SMOKED this drive, but as soon as I hit it, I knew it was gonna fade back to the bunker. I watched it catch the top, pop up in the air, and then cruelly roll back in. I had 205 to go, but there's a creek around 120 and a very steep face (much like a pot bunker), so I had to lay up. I tried to hoist a wedge up and out, but I caught the lip in front of me, so I lost some serious yardage there. I had 177 from the middle of the fairway for my third, and I hit an amazing 5i that never left the flag. Landed short of the flag, rolled past the flag. I had maybe 12 feet to go, but even with a teach from a playing partner, I couldn't get it to fall. :argh: PUNCHED GREENS :argh:

Hole 18 - I didn't feel a birdie was realistic on this hole, but I also knew that a double bogey or better would keep me below 80. I hit a decent drive, knowing I'd have a long approach in. The number was 227 with a fade wind. I choked up on a 3 wood and hit a fade off the left edge of the green (which was guarded by water). I thought I hit it perfectly, but I just didn't account for as much wind as there was. Ball finished exactly pin high in a bunker. With my head below the surface of the green and my snarky caddie standing over me, reminding me about water long, I hit an awesome bunker shot. Came out high, landed a few feet short of the pin, one hopped in, banged off the back lip (and took some of that white cup paint with it) and squirted out sideways. I would have jumped in the water had that gone in. I'll take a par all day on that hole though.

I also played 18 better than Jordan Spieth in this year's playoff. Playing conditions don't matter; I'll be signing with Cobra in a few weeks. Tour card is in the mail. :smug:

Kameh fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 13, 2015

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

I am taking a lesson tomorrow. I am currently trying to focus on shifting my weight and keeping my left arm straight at impact. I was not really doing either. It is leading to a lot of mishits but that is learning I guess.

Does anyone have any good drills for working on either of those two things?

Step-through drill as explained by Rocco Mediate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_VBSWGw8g.

I'd implore you not to focus on trying to manipulate your left arm during the swing. Good players are trying to feel almost no tension in their arms. Your big, upper-body muscles should be controlling the movement of the club while your arms are along for the ride.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I also played 18 better than Jordan Spieth in this year's playoff. Playing conditions don't matter; I'll be signing with Cobra in a few weeks. Tour card is in the mail. :smug:

Beat A Tour Pro On One Hole Bros :hfive:

(I birdied a hole at European Club outside of Dublin, where Tiger Woods played once as British Open prep, he only got par :smug::respek::smug: )

Got 9 in last night.

Not my best but pretty happy. Getting more and more accurate off the tee. Misses left and right are only in the rough by a couple feet. Two 1-putts, including one to save bogey despite sending the 2nd shot into the water :toot:

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Any course recommendations in the Myrtle Beach area? I'll be down there next week and I'd like to play at least once.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Any course recommendations in the Myrtle Beach area? I'll be down there next week and I'd like to play at least once.

When I was a kid I played Man O' War and The Wizard, and I remember them being pretty awesome, but gently caress if that wasn't 15 years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You're pretty much obligated to play courses with names like those

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Myrtle Beach has full-sized golf courses too, not just mini-golf, right? You might want to try those instead.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Club championship is today through Sunday. Awesome weather.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RIP bcrock. dibs on your clubs

also Kameh laughs at your mere 102 :v:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Club championship is today through Sunday. Awesome weather.

I emailed the guys I play on Sundays with in Pasadena and I think we're still going...but we're renting carts. gently caress walking five hours in that.

sarehu posted:

Myrtle Beach has full-sized golf courses too, not just mini-golf, right? You might want to try those instead.

How dare you.

Also if you're gonna play putt putt in Myrtle Beach, go play Minotaur Goff. You can thank me later.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 14, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

I was going to walk tomorrow, but a cart's lookin' pretty good now.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was so close. I shot 100 exactly yesterday. I had an 8 on a par 3 which was just atrocious. I will relive every shot until I break 100 for sure. Donked the tee shot 10 yards, messed up on the second shot, third shot into the bunker, 2 shots out, 3 to putt. I had a 20 footer on 18 to make 99 but I missed it by about 5 inches.

For the first time ever I was leading my friend at the front 9. He usually shoots 85 but was playing awful and I had a 47 (started par par, which is 1 more par than I get in a round usually). Then I birdied the 10th and he admitted he was getting nervous, but drat I fell apart. This friend is the reason I am trying to get better. We played the day before his wedding (1st time in 2 years for me) and I announced I would beat him within 1 year. We bet 20 bucks. I'm going to spend like 5 grand to win that 20 bucks hah.

I actually got super mad at that 8. Like really mad. I could have thrown my club I was so mad. I never get mad at anything, anyone will tell you I always am calm, no matter what. I am embarrassed about it.

My instructor helped me a lot with my stance and my iron play was much better. My drives and putting on the aerated greens hurt a lot. I usually drive it only like 210 but straight every time, today I hit 3 drives like 30 yards. I think the change in my stance to help the irons might have hurt my driving. That is what lessons are for I guess.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

UnionCarbide posted:

I was going to walk tomorrow, but a cart's lookin' pretty good now.

Is that NC?

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Shrapnig posted:

Is that NC?

Nope, CA (just NE of San Francisco)

So I ended up walking, it wasn't too bad other than I missed the back of my knees with sunscreen. When I got back to my car it was 104 though. :supaburn:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

If I can break 100 again Im going to set a new goal (95), which is going to rely almost entirely on my haphazard putting improving.

Broke 100 again today, only 2 rounds later. :toot:

Also shot 95 so I met my new goal pretty quick! My chipping was dreadful, leaving me tons of 20+ foot putts from terrible spots, but for some reason I was just killing it with my putting leaving me nothing more than a few inches if I wasnt sinking it. It was hot, humid, sunny, and we got stuck behind a foursome of seniors as soon as we hit the back 9, which turned our normal 2 hour round into a 4 hour round because they wouldnt let anyone pass. Going out again tomorrow with my dad, brother and his friend. Hope I dont follow this round up like I did my last sub-100 one.

This game is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

This game is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

Ok so you're approaching the point where it's time to start practicing effectively!

I use Mike McFadden's teaching philosophies.

When I go to the range, I never hit more than three balls in a row with any club. Those three balls are always a grouped set of shots. I'll hit three balls that move left to right, or three balls that go right to left, or go straight. Then I switch clubs and switch shot types. High shots, low shots, hands in front of the face, hands even with the face, hands behind the face, etc etc. Any variation you can think of.

I try and see golf as a series of problems to be solved. The ball has to go from where it is, to a different spot. Oh, there's a tree in the way though. And if I could make it go left to right that would help me avoid it. Basically what I'm looking to do on the range is build solutions to those problems. What does it feel like when I need to make a ball move a certain way, or have a certain trajectory?

Golf is just a series of problems that you're trying to solve, one shot at a time. The bigger your filing cabinet of potential solutions is in your brain that you can draw on, the better your ability to adapt something to solve the problem is.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Howd your round go BC? I just got home. It is balls hot out there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I need you guys to talk me out of spending $50 on a golf bag I don't need. I have a 1st gen Ping Hoofer. It's a little long in the tooth, but I play once/max twice a month, so it's still perfectly functional. Importantly, it's the only thing I still have from my competitive golf days.

Arguably the best bag of all time is the Hoofer 2, which slightly modified the pocket design compared to mine. I can get one from a local guy for $50, but it has the embroidered name of someone who played at Georgia Tech the same time as Matt Kuchar. It is, however, in fantastic shape.

I feel like, if I'm going to get a new golf bag, I should get an actual new golf bag, something with a modern design made with modern fabrics, though I think the weight of the 2015 Hoofer isn't really lighter than the old ones. Otherwise, sticking with my current bag has the dual benefit of not spending money and nostalgia.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 16, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

poo poo if you don't want it, I need a new bag haha

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Howd your round go BC? I just got home. It is balls hot out there.

Well, I managed to not die from heat stroke, so there's that.

I sucked pretty bad on Friday and Saturday (79/82), but somehow made the cut to play today. We had a lot of our A-flight guys shooting in the 80s because the course is in just awful condition. It's pretty absurd to be in the middle of a fairway but hitting off of some patchy hard packed dirt/grass bullshit, but that's Rancho Park. The course gets 100k+ rounds of play every year whether they put any money into it or not, so why bother putting any money into it.

Anyway, played better today (77), but not good enough to place. My fourball partner shot 73/72 to go into today with a 3 shot lead over another guy who's won our club championship 5 times in the past. He had a 2 shot lead going into 17, but the other dude stuffed a 3w from 250 out on the par 5 17th and 2 putted for birdie to get it to 1 shot down, then did the same thing on 18 from a little closer in on his 2nd shot to tie it up.

Went to a playoff on the first hole where my partner missed a slippery 4 downhill 4 footer to save par and the other guy made his to win it.

3 5.5 hour rounds 3 days in a row in blazing heat where everyone is grinding out everything is pretty exhausting. I've never taken a cart on this course until this weekend where I broke down and got one for Sat & Sun. It definitely made a huge difference in the energy level throughout the day. Annoyed that I didn't play better, but I didn't lose a ball all weekend so that's a plus.

Time to go jump in the pool since it's still 101 degrees out!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Well, I managed to not die from heat stroke, so there's that.

Awesome, man.

Yeah we took a cart today too. The difference in energy level was astounding. I walk 99% of the time, so standing on the 18th tee, and not being exhausted was a completely new sensation for me.

Heat's supposed to break after tomorrow. Good riddance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So did you know that ants are not "burrowing animals"? I didn't!

The whole exchange is surreal, made better by the fact that it's Bubba of all people.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

The whole exchange is surreal, made better by the fact that it's Bubba of all people.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/prayfortedscott

#PrayForTedScott

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

how have I never seen this before, goddamn :munch:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DJExile posted:

how have I never seen this before, goddamn :munch:

loving lol:

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/630484659776942080

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

What a oval office.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

EnsGDT posted:

Ok so you're approaching the point where it's time to start practicing effectively!

I use Mike McFadden's teaching philosophies.

When I go to the range, I never hit more than three balls in a row with any club. Those three balls are always a grouped set of shots. I'll hit three balls that move left to right, or three balls that go right to left, or go straight. Then I switch clubs and switch shot types. High shots, low shots, hands in front of the face, hands even with the face, hands behind the face, etc etc. Any variation you can think of.

I try and see golf as a series of problems to be solved. The ball has to go from where it is, to a different spot. Oh, there's a tree in the way though. And if I could make it go left to right that would help me avoid it. Basically what I'm looking to do on the range is build solutions to those problems. What does it feel like when I need to make a ball move a certain way, or have a certain trajectory?

Golf is just a series of problems that you're trying to solve, one shot at a time. The bigger your filing cabinet of potential solutions is in your brain that you can draw on, the better your ability to adapt something to solve the problem is.

I would hesitate to tell someone who just broke 100 for the first time a couple rounds ago that they need to practice hitting draws, fades and straight shots at different trajectories while on the range. Effective practice? Build confidence by not being able to hit a draw or a fade or a high or a low shot. You'll feel great heading to the first tee after hitting 6 out of 50 balls even remotely close to how you wanted to.

I like the idea of not hitting the same club over and over, but for someone who is still trying to make a consistent swing, adding shape and trajectory(that's like NINE different shapes to practice: fade/straight/draw, hi/medium/low) seems like a disaster.

Work on making CONSISTENT contact and live with your natural shot shape. I'm a 2 handicap and I've hit probably 3 fades with my irons all year, I naturally hit a bit of a draw.

Spend as much or more time practicing chipping/putting than at the range would be my advice to someone shooting ~100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Back from the beach finally if anyone itt ever goes to Oak Island, Wilmington etc. go check out Oak Island Golf Club it was a really nice course in great condition. A little difficult thanks to some wind and greens being super quick, also it was humid as hell and that doesn't ever help. Shot an 83 though which is good for me and my current game. I also would recommend Carolina National as a much visit, it was incredibly cheap ($55 dollars for 27 holes and free lunch) it's a Freddie Couples designed course and was very challenging while only playing about 3400y per 9, solid mix on inland and water holes as it runs along side the lockwood-folly river, some holes reminded me a lot of courses I play in Kiawah while others were their own beast where the only thing in your way from tee-to-green was 500 yards and a giant oak tree in the middle of the fairway. Ended up shooting an 85 though, greens were almost perfect for my putting style and I made some pretty clutch pars and even a couple birdies while also carding a few doubles.

Then for fun on Friday we played some local par3 course because the people I was with wanted more golf, course was under slight repair and actually looked like it might have been a normal 9 hole course that was converted to a 18 hole par3. Par was 56 and I shot a 52. Most of the holes were 90-100 yards with one being 130. So I basically used my 56 degree wedge 98% of the time and my pitching wedge once. These just happen to be my best clubs so it was rather easy to go 18 holes doing the same thing every time. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but if you want something quick and cheap it's not bad I guess. It was only $14 bucks and took about maybe an hour and a half.

Then yesterday, when I got back to Charlotte I decided to play 18 at a course I'd never played before with 2 guys I'd never played with before. Both of them said they were 'alright' when we'd previously talked golf stuff. One of them ended up shooting a 105 which was probably more like a 130 as we stopped counting mulligans and such pretty quick. The other guy completely dominated me shooting a -1, 70. Later he said he had played a lot of junior golf tournament stuff, gave golf lessons during the summer while he was in highschool and college and is currently the only non-pga pro teacher at some local country club, but he doesn't play much since he's in school getting his masters. On the bright side, and the highlight of the golf year so far I broke 80 with a 78! I was on fire tee to green saved par like never before. My only hiccups came from losing a ball into a water hazard that wasn't visible from the tee and no one knew was there and then a couple par putts I missed by less than an inch. Course was pretty awesome, not super tough layout, but the greens were incredible fast. Fairways were pretty hard and dry so the ball rolled forever, the guy that beat me easily had a 360 yard drive with about 70 of that being roll out.