Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

yeah the damage scaling in this game is kind of rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Can someone good tell me which of Chel's moves are safe on block and which I should be using to punish when I block? Assume I'm an idiot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mintergalactic posted:

deflect is for nerds, who needs a burst when you can have MORE DAMAGE

Deflect is objectively worse in this game until they change the whole battle system. It heavily promotes offense between the safeness of moves and how easy it is to build meter for KA, especially compared to gaining meter for Deflect.

Mattavist posted:

Can someone good tell me which of Chel's moves are safe on block and which I should be using to punish when I block? Assume I'm an idiot.

I think most of Chell's moves are safe on block except her sweep, but you can cancel it into a her fireball to basically make it safe.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Tae posted:

I think most of Chell's moves are safe on block except her sweep, but you can cancel it into a her fireball to basically make it safe.
Warning though, there's plenty of things like that where Talos fH will catch you; Like if you do cr.M s1, he can start hammering the fH after the cr.M and the kick will come out, armouring the fireball and then punting you for combo/denied/reset.

Tae, you're not JaeTae on RT, are you?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Warning though, there's plenty of things like that where Talos fH will catch you; Like if you do cr.M s1, he can start hammering the fH after the cr.M and the kick will come out, armouring the fireball and then punting you for combo/denied/reset.

Tae, you're not JaeTae on RT, are you?

Nope, I'm like still Bronze.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

NecroMonster posted:

funny story i'm not actually sure that using it is worth it for dauntless, it doesn't really get you much extra damage at all

You're insane, her DP and throw aren't worth using without KA

Her DP in particular becomes a super great pressure tool once you have a bar for KA

Edit: it's worth mentioning you can deflect out of blockstun as well, like a pretty ghetto alpha counter.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Note, I'm a dumb casual player

I tried out Talos for the first time, why the gently caress does he have a command throw with super armor

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

Note, I'm a dumb casual player

I tried out Talos for the first time, why the gently caress does he have a command throw with super armor

Now you have a fun post to look back on and laugh about once you get better

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So is it a pretty well known bug that the kinetic max bar appears to be full when its not, or am I missing something?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Optimus Subprime posted:

So is it a pretty well known bug that the kinetic max bar appears to be full when its not, or am I missing something?

I would assume you're thinking that the kinetic bar is for your overdrive (super) it's not, that's a separate bar.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Oh that makes way more sense, so kinetic max is just used for advancing and combo breaking?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Optimus Subprime posted:

Oh that makes way more sense, so kinetic max is just used for advancing and combo breaking?

affirmative. And it only takes 1 stock per use so you can do it twice if your bar is full.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Mattavist posted:

Her stand mp can link to her crouch mp and then you can cancel her crouch mp can be special canceled.
Her stand hp can also be special cancelled.
For really fast punishes, jab into her dp also works.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Master Rank yay! I do stream dauntless sometimes as well if you want to see me hit Master http://www.twitch.tv/draynir and don't forget #risingthunder for when lobbies come out.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Every time I start to get the hang of things I face someone who makes me realize how much of a loving scrub I am.

However, it's making me think about my fundamentals more than I have before and I think this train of thought is actually transferring into other fighting games.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Starting stream for anyone who wants to watch me get beat up as master level dauntless. https://www.twitch.tv/draynir

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I streamed some for a bit today if anybody wants to see my Dauntless and listen to my bad music: http://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/11220670

I'm mostly pretty happy with my progress and how I'm playing, I need to carve out the part of my brain that wants to anti-air with super though (old street fighter habit I guess). Had a few rounds where I just brainfarted all over the place and did bad mix-ups and ate theirs. I'm having a few execution issues with moving around, getting a dash when I don't want it sometimes which is getting me hit more often than not. Need to stop blockstringing into s3 as well, that move isn't safe whether you hold the button or not. I'm also not punishing Dauntless cold drill on block yet, one of the few big reasons I still suck at the mirror.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
man you'd think for a game that outright tells people to use a wired connection more people would play with internet that isn't complete dogshit

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
The ranking system in this game doesn't make any sense at all and I don't like it.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Trykt posted:

The ranking system in this game doesn't make any sense at all and I don't like it.

yeah it's weird but at least it's not the way they're matching people

http://risingthunder.com/2015/08/13/a-peek-inside-the-rising-thunder-match-maker-and-ranking-tiers/

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Trykt posted:

Seems like it's basically just PP. It's not there to be an accurate indicator of skill, but it does give mediocre players something easy to understand and latch onto. It also tickles the part of your lizard brain that likes to see numbers go up.

However, the game should absolutely 100% show you your elo. Overall, one of the things I'm most unhappy with is how the game seems to like to hide information from you. Not being able to see your opponent's meters seems unnecessarily opaque, especially for a game touting itself on simplicity and approachability.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The concept is that you should be looking at the game itself as much as possible, rather than a bunch of meters. The aim is not so much transparency, as simplicity. I totally get the arguments against it, and think they have merit, but I quite like it just because its different; it's not like there's a shortage of games you can play if you want a tonne of data, so to see a game trying another approach is interesting to me.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Shockeh posted:

The concept is that you should be looking at the game itself as much as possible, rather than a bunch of meters. The aim is not so much transparency, as simplicity. I totally get the arguments against it, and think they have merit, but I quite like it just because its different; it's not like there's a shortage of games you can play if you want a tonne of data, so to see a game trying another approach is interesting to me.

The issue is that it's self-contradictory, like having specials be single-button moves but making special canceling a unique property of specific normals. It's arbitrary that you can see two of the opponent's gauges but not the remaining four when it would be obviously useful and easily legible information. The game has schizophrenic design overall.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cooldowns dont change, so once someone uses a special move, you are just internalizing the cooldown timer. the only thing not showing the cooldowns does is hide what the persons loadout is until they use it, and there arent even icons that tell you that anyway.

basically, the intent as far as i can tell is to hide what the other person has set up to create sort of a metagame/information baiting situation, but since the special moves are so similar and not very powerful, i dont see this happening.

its supposed to be sort of like how in a card game, lets say hearthstone, you see the guy is a warlock, so you might think its zoolock, or handlock, but you can't assume until they make a couple of actions. but unfortunately this has the side effect of also causing you to play to as many options as possible in most cases, which is a restrained, less action oriented style of play, which makes the game slower.

if they want to go for a metagame heavy thing, they need more varied special moves, and it should still show the cooldowns after you use a move for the first time, same with kinect stuff.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

This is actually my whole problem with it. I'm stuck in silver because they are matching me exclusively with people as good as or better than me so I'm only winning 50% of my games or so. Most of my matches are diamond/master/legend but they don't count for any extra points so I'm just seesaw-ing silver ranks even though my apparent peers have blown past gold already (I presume it was much easier to do so in the game's first week or so)

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
You probably shouldn't care about ranks and be happy you face challenging players.

I've played Filipino Champ on stream and a couple of players named ASReynald and MrWizard. I don't know if they were actually the KoF13 EVO champ and Mr SRK, but they were both really good Talos / Donutless players. I saw FChamp get wrecked by ASReynald on stream not long after I also lost. I hope SF5 has netcode this decent.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

anime was right posted:

cooldowns dont change, so once someone uses a special move, you are just internalizing the cooldown timer. the only thing not showing the cooldowns does is hide what the persons loadout is until they use it, and there arent even icons that tell you that anyway.

basically, the intent as far as i can tell is to hide what the other person has set up to create sort of a metagame/information baiting situation, but since the special moves are so similar and not very powerful, i dont see this happening.

its supposed to be sort of like how in a card game, lets say hearthstone, you see the guy is a warlock, so you might think its zoolock, or handlock, but you can't assume until they make a couple of actions. but unfortunately this has the side effect of also causing you to play to as many options as possible in most cases, which is a restrained, less action oriented style of play, which makes the game slower.

if they want to go for a metagame heavy thing, they need more varied special moves, and it should still show the cooldowns after you use a move for the first time, same with kinect stuff.

It actually does. If someone waste a dp and i punish it I immediately do a heavy jab follow up punish knowing it's 100% safe now. I also know when i See Talos s1.2 that if he's charging a grab it's anti air which if he had s1.1 would be a mind game. Dauntless s1.2 requires 100% different punish timing then s1.1 as well. Not all useful to know like that but def some.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Trykt posted:

This is actually my whole problem with it. I'm stuck in silver because they are matching me exclusively with people as good as or better than me so I'm only winning 50% of my games or so. Most of my matches are diamond/master/legend but they don't count for any extra points so I'm just seesaw-ing silver ranks even though my apparent peers have blown past gold already (I presume it was much easier to do so in the game's first week or so)

IT sounds like you aren't consistent honestly. I was stuck at gold then diamond and now in master mostly because winning a streak gives you many more points then losing does.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is it? I thought it was always one point per game, so you're only getting more for wins if you're consistently winning 2-0 and losing 1-2.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The better you are the harder it is to rank up because of the ELO system behind rankings. By time I was in silver my ELO was high enough to where I'd only get matched with like Rico Suave and Snakeeyez and other top players but going mostly even with them (combined with the disconnect bug) meant it was nearly impossible to "progress" and they had already played enough to reach Legend. I think they re-weighted the matchmaking when they fixed the disconnect bug but I didn't play enough after that to get past Diamond.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 17, 2015

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Mattavist posted:

Is it? I thought it was always one point per game, so you're only getting more for wins if you're consistently winning 2-0 and losing 1-2.

On streaks you get +2 for wins. You SHOULD be getting some streaks even if you're winning 50% of the time. Your win streaks will give more overall points then losing streaks take.

(basically unless you lose more then 50% of the time everyone should eventually hit legend with this system given enough games)

Draynar fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 17, 2015

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Shockeh posted:

I wouldn't mind not seeing the opponent's meter if it wasn't for KA on block. Making a good read and suddenly getting jumped and crossed up afterwards is the most frustrating poo poo I've ever seen in a fighting game.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I never liked FADCs and KA is even worse. Does anybody even enjoy having that mechanic in the game (aside from extending combos, which is fun)?

At the very least I'd merge the super and kinetic bars.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I am maining Talos because I am a scrublord apparently. I am doing real well mid silver just playing footsie with the occasional chaingrab punish. I am really having trouble teching falls consistently though. what is the trick to that?.

{edit} Does chell just not work for anyone else?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Not sure but my understanding is when you can tech a fall you hit a special button right before landing. To quick rise you hit any attacks while on ground. that seems really weird to me and not sure 100% how it works and we've never had devs explain.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I felt like everytime I tried to tech, I get severely punished and it's worse than actually taking the knockdown.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Tae posted:

I felt like everytime I tried to tech, I get severely punished and it's worse than actually taking the knockdown.

That tech has invinc frames followed by recover frames so if they're rushing you down it's a bad idea. Quick get up is good because it fucks up their meaty cross over or over head timing. (don't always do it mix it up so they don't know when you're going to get up)

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The better you are the harder it is to rank up because of the ELO system behind rankings. By time I was in silver my ELO was high enough to where I'd only get matched with like Rico Suave and Snakeeyez and other top players but going mostly even with them (combined with the disconnect bug) meant it was nearly impossible to "progress" and they had already played enough to reach Legend. I think they re-weighted the matchmaking when they fixed the disconnect bug but I didn't play enough after that to get past Diamond.

This is correct and exactly what I was talking about. The other responses are wrong or completely missing the point.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No the point is there's no reason to care about rank.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Yeah sure shame on me for discussing a poorly designed feature of an alpha, everyone getting weirdly defensive of an objectively poor system sure showed me!

\/\/\/It doesn't match you based on rank at all though? So I guess you have no idea what you're talking about? Thanks for making a post, though.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trykt posted:

Yeah sure shame on me for discussing a poorly designed feature of an alpha, everyone getting weirdly defensive of an objectively poor system sure showed me!

I dunno, if you're stuck in a rank because you can't win consistently in it, it seems like it's working as intended, dude.

• Locked thread