Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

someone is very mad about the possibility of larger blocks

the lego/duplo schism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
at this point most of the people arguing about the fork don't even really understand the issue, they've just chosen to line up behind somebody who they already agree with and generate whatever outrage is appropriate

in other words just primate business as usual

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
but which side is The Greek Hammer going to come down on????

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

OSI bean dip posted:

i ran out of popcorn

what is a good substitute?

weasel dust

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Greyhawk posted:

https://github.com/xtbit/notbitcoinxt#not-bitcoin-xt

This is a special fork for those who do not agree with the blocksize scheduled increase as proposed by Gavin and Mike in their divisive altcoin fork, "Bitcoin XT".

This version can be used to protect the status quo until real technical consensus is formed about the blocksize.

This version is indistinguishable from Bitcoin XT 0.11A except that it will not actually hard fork to BIP101, yet appears on the p2p network as Bitcoin XT 0.11A replete with features, yet at a consensus level behaves just like Bitcoin Core 0.11. If it is used to mine, it will produce XT block versions without actually supporting >1MB blocks.

Running this version and/or mining with XT block versions will make it impossible for the Bitcoin XT network to detect the correct switchover and cause a premature fork of anyone foolish enough to support BIP101 without wide consensus from the technical community.

It prevents correct detection of Bitcoin XT adoption in the wild since usage will be known to have been tampered with and thus all statistical data gathered by getnodes can only be considered unreliable.
yes, yes

eat your own :unsmigghh:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Erenthal posted:

the lego/duplo schism
:vince:

Wheany posted:

weasel dust
:pusheen:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
If I'm properly thinking this through, won't that just make the fork even worse? If a lot of people run that, the fork will come sooner, but instead of there being a 75/25 split if favor of larger blocks, it would be closer to even and would be much worse for Bitcoin as a whole? Someone is really really mad at larger blocks, and it makes no sense.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I Greyhound posted:

If I'm properly thinking this through, won't that just make the fork even worse? If a lot of people run that, the fork will come sooner, but instead of there being a 75/25 split if favor of larger blocks, it would be closer to even and would be much worse for Bitcoin as a whole? Someone is really really mad at larger blocks, and it makes no sense.

i dont' understand anything about bitcoin but i hope you're right so i agree with you

Smiley

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

who's the yosposter who claimed to know adam back and said he's actually a very reasonable person

because these tweets don't really seem all that reasonable

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

has anyone say pumper nickels yet

:eyepop:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I Greyhound posted:

i THINK it depends...

if the threshold is hit (75%) and more than a third of those are this fake xt client, then it should be impossibke for a >1mb block to be mined and confirmed by the network as a whole. if less than a third of the 75 are this fake client, yes you're right they're just adding thrash.

e:

Muscle Tracer posted:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Same Great Paste posted:

i THINK it depends...

if the threshold is hit (75%) and more than a third of those are this fake xt client, then it should be impossibke for a >1mb block to be mined and confirmed by the network as a whole. if less than a third of the 75 are this fake client, yes you're right they're just adding thrash.

correct, but what exactly is going on at that point would be hard as hell to identify

you also could potentially do it with less - you need 75% of the last 100 blocks before xt self-activates, so in theory less than 75% of clients have to run it for it to work, they just need to get a bit lucky with who mines what block

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
bitcoin is a cyber punk drama but not quite the one bitcoiners dreamed about

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 17, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Boxturret posted:

i love that this is such a huge issue

blocks now are a megabyte and on average they're barely hitting 40% with the peaks at like 80%

now i know that the only reason for the bigger blocks is the vain hope of the overnight 100% adoption rate and moon moON MOON but what possible negatives are there for doing it? bitcoin can handle 800% more transactions!!!!! more resistant to "stress tests"!!!!!

it just seems like something they would jump at :shrug:

the actual usage rate isn't the problem, they're trying to be less extremely dead to "stress test" attacks, which require 0% control over the hashrate. they could still get buried, but an 8MB shovel digs out faster.

Muscle Tracer posted:

owns

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

8 pages did that guy come back again

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

As a Millennial I posted:

no but how did

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nah bitcoin forked, then forked again, and the bitcoiner community is tearing itself to shreds over it

thermos is banning all dissenters too

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i heard star citizen was released and only accepts bitcoins now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Erenthal posted:

i heard star citizen was released and only accepts bitcoins now

star citizen is poo poo play eve online instead it's the superior sperg simulator

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
a couple hundred bucks of stress tests was all it took to make the bitlords destroy themselves. amazing, amazing

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

he did

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

surebet posted:

non smart rear end question: what's the worst that could happen?

as long as he's added as an "honorary mod" (no powers but name shows up in sidebar) then not much, but I wouldn't but it past him to leverage it into something else somehow.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
trust no thermos, fckgw

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
in other news, turns out the guy that the downtown Vancouver coffee shop with the bitcoin atm hired to guard ( :airquote: attend :airquote: ) the atm against serial entrepreneurs who set up tables next to it in the coffee shop and sold bitcoin with lower fees than the atm lives in a van.

i mean i get it, housing in vancouver is expensive and dumb, but lol

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
i was gone all week and i'm not reading 700+ posts to see if that link was posted already

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

CampingCarl posted:

this is good for bitcoin

what becomes of you in the wintertime, mister

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
well? does mommy want to know? does daddy say to ask??

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I Greyhound posted:

Someone is really really mad at larger blocks, and it makes no sense.

It makes sense of you realize that libertarians don't actually give a poo poo about their ideology and only care about the money.

As it currently stands bitcoin is an useless piece of poo poo. And there is no money for a guy like thermos in it or any improved version (cuz it takes a lot of dough to mine). But, since it is crap, there is money in centralized services that run on top of it.

Just follow the money and you'll see that theymos is heavily invested in stuff like (the centralized) lightning network and you can bet your rear end that they, and many other bitcoin 2.0 companies, pay him to shill their solutions. Just like bashco gets money from the tip place.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 17, 2015

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

Sham bam bamina! posted:

well? does mommy want to know? does daddy say to ask??
As expected, this thread has devolved rapidly in my absence.

Look folks, this XT fork is never going to happen, because the fire has been lit under core's rear end now, it's just a matter of time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trucutru posted:

(the centralized) lightning network

wait, we actually have a design for how this is supposed to work? I thought it was just a vague wiki page somewhere

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

quote:

the word has an origin in the Germanic vernacular where pumpern was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, and Nickel was a form of the name Nicholas, commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g. "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan), or more generally for a malevolent spirit or demon. Hence, pumpernickel is described as the "devil's fart"

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

It's ok, he's “hacking” the housing market.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JamesieAB posted:

It's ok, he's “hacking” the housing market.

he was offered centralized housing, but

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Seraph84 posted:

As expected, this thread has devolved rapidly in my absence.

Look folks, this XT fork is never going to happen, because the fire has been lit under core's rear end now, it's just a matter of time.

what's the most impressive thing you've bought with bitcoin, seraph?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

we already figured that one out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JamesieAB posted:

It's ok, he's “disrupting” the housing market.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

don't fuxking quote Bitcoin stymie

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

stop replying to the ape, you're making it think its people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

wait, we actually have a design for how this is supposed to work? I thought it was just a vague wiki page somewhere

There is a design floating somewhere (it's poo poo!) and a couple "companies" are working on it and sidechains.

• Locked thread