Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Ape of Naples posted:

So wait, I haven't checked it out yet but is Howl an iOS app only? Can I listen to eps on my Macbook?

They apparently have a Web player.

I read the press release and if the archives are truly remastered and ad free, then that warms me up a bit on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

They apparently have a Web player.

I read the press release and if the archives are truly remastered and ad free, then that warms me up a bit on it.

I see. I need to check it out some more. I'm curious about off-line listening and all that but that has more to do with being an old man. This whole thing reminds me of the opening to the #200ep of I4H.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who just burned through a re-listen of I4H, the ad-free nature of this pretty much makes me forgive any other bungled parts of the implementation. However, I'm not happy about having to switch over from my preferred podcast app in order to listen to this stuff.

I'll pay for it as long as they have interesting content coming out, especially if it's more in the experimental direction or allows for all of my favs to get their own minis.

e: And yeah, I assume this is the big change that Besser was talking about on the last I4H - sounds like maybe he has some plans for cool premium stuff?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Some of Scott's answers on the earwolf forums were confusing - maybe you just can't download to the browser howl.fm client? Downloading to the app seems fine.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
I've gotten a half dozen people into CBB by recommending they listen to old classic shows... guess that referral source will dry up.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I mean maybe archives being gated is ok but I'm not downloading a podcast app other than the one I have, which currently can play every single podcast in the entire world. As far as I'm aware the Howl app lacks that critical functionality.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Edit: never mind.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 17, 2015

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I fully recommend the Superego Forgotten Classics "Red Badge of Courage" episode on that Howl app. poo poo's hilarious.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

This really should have waited until they had a premium rss feed and android app ready. As it is, there is still no promise for a rss feed.

Archive stuff still isn't clear, Auckerman on the forums said that everything >6 months would be app only, but earwolf just tweeted out that archives with ads would still be on their Web page and your Ios app, because they think everyone has an iPhone.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Eltoasto posted:

This really should have waited until they had a premium rss feed and android app ready. As it is, there is still no promise for a rss feed.

Archive stuff still isn't clear, Auckerman on the forums said that everything >6 months would be app only, but earwolf just tweeted out that archives with ads would still be on their Web page and your Ios app, because they think everyone has an iPhone.

What the gently caress, they seriously don't have any plans to release an Android version? :psyduck:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They've been saying an Android version is on the way ever since Howl first came out like 3 months ago

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Eltoasto posted:

They live in LA. Everyone there does have an iPhone.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Gah, this is troubling news. I'm one of the few people out there who still listens to poo poo on an mp3-player, so I guess I'm out if I can't download mp3 files of new episodes any longer :(
I listen to podcasts/audiobooks pretty much throughout my workday, so the battery on my phone would be dead by lunch if I listened to all my podcast through an app.

I don't even care about the money, I'd happily give them 10 bucks a month for commercial free mp3s of their podcasts! Just please don't force us to use an app to listen to the shows.

Since they haven't taken down the old episodes yet, I'm scrambling to get mp3s of all the classic episodes right now. I'm going through the archives of CBB guest by guest and downloading all of their episodes. So far I've gotten all of PFT, Jessica St. Claire, Andy Daly, James Adomian, Jon Gabrus, Brendon Small, Lauren Lapkus and Horatio Sanz. Anyone obvious I'm forgetting?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Harris Wittels

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
From the Ask Scott thread on Earwolf forums
http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/25100-questions-for-scott-re-howl/page__st__60

Shannon, Moderator on Earwolf posted:

Hopefully this will clarify a bit. All Earwolf and Wolfpop shows that are currently free will continue to come out each week and be hosted exactly where they are. New episodes as well as episodes from the last 6 months will remain free and will still have ads in them. Soon, all of the episodes older than 6 months will have their ads removed, and be available only through a Howl premium subscription.
Emphasis mine.
So unless I'm completely misreading, and it seems other people agree with that clarification on reddit/forums, the archives will go down soon.
Start your downloading I guess :/

Help Im Alive posted:

I knew this would pay off someday

you lucky bastard

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Harris Wittels

Thanks! I almost missed a couple of good epps there :v

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Offler posted:

I guess I'm out if I can't download mp3 files of new episodes any longer :(

New eps will still come out as usual if I'm not mistaken.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I really hope so!

Forcing people to download an app just to check out your show should drastically reduce the number of new listeners, so hopefully they aren't doing that.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i hope this works out for them because i very much enjoy the content they produce

real dumb that i have to use a new app though

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I am pro-this move but I did think it was funny how dismissive they were of people on the podcast.

"Where should I start?" says random people interested in podcast.

Paul F Tompkins: "It's not a narrative thing."

Even though he's probably the most responsible for insanely long narrative things and characters with very deep and bizarre/absurd backstories that one must know to really appreciate later episodes. But sure! Also its confusing for people to figure out so the answer is obviously making you pay for anything older than 6 months? Sure. And count me in as one person who even after paying kind of wants the ads in the old episodes. Some of the ad reads are funny.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I'm understanding how the whole thing works I'll probably be paying to get the exclusive stuff like Wild Horses, but continue doing everything else the same as I currently do because I like having mp3s and skipping ads takes like 5 seconds (Plus an app restricted to Earwolf/Wolfpop shows is kinda silly, they could at least let you add the RSS feeds of other podcasts like any other podcast app ever made)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Help Im Alive posted:

If I'm understanding how the whole thing works I'll probably be paying to get the exclusive stuff like Wild Horses, but continue doing everything else the same as I currently do because I like having mp3s and skipping ads takes like 5 seconds (Plus an app restricted to Earwolf/Wolfpop shows is kinda silly, they could at least let you add the RSS feeds of other podcasts like any other podcast app ever made)

Pretty much this. I'm still wringing the life out of my old iPod nano, so all of the new podcast eps I'll get on iTunes like normal.

That being said, I already signed up and have been listening on the web browser. Forgotten Classics was great and I'm gonna dip into the CBB live episodes I haven't heard. Really ~$60/month for this stuff(exclusive content, ad-free archives, standup albums) isn't bad at all. If they don't keep up with new content then I'd probably cancel it, but I've enjoyed CBB enough over the years to throw them some cash.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I am pro-this move but I did think it was funny how dismissive they were of people on the podcast.

"Where should I start?" says random people interested in podcast.

Paul F Tompkins: "It's not a narrative thing."

Even though he's probably the most responsible for insanely long narrative things and characters with very deep and bizarre/absurd backstories that one must know to really appreciate later episodes. But sure! Also its confusing for people to figure out so the answer is obviously making you pay for anything older than 6 months? Sure. And count me in as one person who even after paying kind of wants the ads in the old episodes. Some of the ad reads are funny.
I'd be fine with removing ads in future episodes but I'd also prefer the past to stay unchanged. Specifically shows like Hollywood Handbook they benefit hilariously from those ads. Or the CBB saga with them co-reading ads for several episodes. Or UTU2 with Adam Scott. Or Matt Bessers ongoing saga with Naturebox, also featuring improv guests a lot of times.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
How will future generations learn that Pepsi Extreme Max goes in our earholes?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Guess im downloading every CBB, I4H, and HH today.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm pretty excited about the Spalding Gray series. I've heard/seen the first 4 and I've read Impossible Vacation, but the other 7 are all new to me.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So now if I want to introduce someone to, say, Comedy Bang Bang - I can't point them to the Best Ofs or any other classic episodes anymore?

:smith:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ceramics posted:

Guess im downloading every CBB, I4H, and HH today.
i'm gonna subscribe but i'll probably do this as well just to have my own archive

anyone know the quickest way to mass download podcasts on a pc that doesn't involve itunes

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

VagueRant posted:

So now if I want to introduce someone to, say, Comedy Bang Bang - I can't point them to the Best Ofs or any other classic episodes anymore?

This is the biggest irritant to me. I've turned on a bunch of people to CBB, RSS, etc and I do it by playing them clips. Can't do that now, except for youtube, but i'm sure Midroll Media, a division of Scripps Entertainment, will be squashing the gently caress out of those clips.

They put out Scott to answer questions on this today and it did not go well, because he's not the guy to be answering technical poo poo or give answers people don't want to hear. They must have figured that people would cut him slack.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

VagueRant posted:

He said the best ofs will remain free, as will stuff like Analyze Phish and UTU2TM

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

They put out Scott to answer questions on this today and it did not go well, because he's not the guy to be answering technical poo poo or give answers people don't want to hear. They must have figured that people would cut him slack.
Where did this Q&A happen? I had a quick scan of the earwolf forums but I couldn't see it there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

tnimark posted:

Where did this Q&A happen? I had a quick scan of the earwolf forums but I couldn't see it there.

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/25100-questions-for-scott-re-howl/

It's in the CBB section

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

This is the biggest irritant to me. I've turned on a bunch of people to CBB, RSS, etc and I do it by playing them clips. Can't do that now, except for youtube, but i'm sure Midroll Media, a division of Scripps Entertainment, will be squashing the gently caress out of those clips.

You can. You just pay $5. Or your friend pays $5. Or you pay $5 and give your friend the log-in.

I've realized that Scott meeting Bono wasn't about t-shirts but rather how to deal with people on the internet freaking out when they receive digital content in a way that slightly inconveniences them.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
This spontaneanation seems like a beautiful example of what can go wrong when people don't start adding more escalating details to a long form. I found the whole thing to be pretty boring : (

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just signed up for Howl because why not, but is there an easy way to pull all the archives currently up for each podcast? I'd like to have a backup archive locally for putting on my old iPod or for situations like today when I'm remote with a poor internet connection.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The RSS feeds, like HH's for example.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Apparently Scott posted in the Earwolf forums that they're going to be producing a season 2 of Mike Detective for Howl at some point, so I now think this is the greatest idea of all time and will pay for it until I die

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I don't think an Android app that works the same will ever come out to be honest. That seems to be the way that it usually goes

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just signed up for Howl because why not, but is there an easy way to pull all the archives currently up for each podcast? I'd like to have a backup archive locally for putting on my old iPod or for situations like today when I'm remote with a poor internet connection.
on iTunes you can open the individual podcast feed and then press Ctrl-A to select everything, right-click "Download episode" and it'll download everything as mp3 with correct meta-data.

Cloks posted:

The RSS feeds, like HH's for example.
This will only go back to the last 6 months in a few days (tomorrow?). Actually I'm not even sure if they'll support RSS and non-Howl ways of getting those 6 months of free episodes in future. I'd imagine it must be much easier for them to just keep everything in Howl that they control themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

xbilkis posted:

Apparently Scott posted in the Earwolf forums that they're going to be producing a season 2 of Mike Detective for Howl at some point, so I now think this is the greatest idea of all time and will pay for it until I die

Oh my god