Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Fasdar posted:

If you like sprawl, check out Phoenix or Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs somehow managed to be 100% suburbs due to the large military presence in the area, with almost no high density residencies and a footprint the size of cities many, many times its population.

Yeah, I've seen those because I spend way too much time looking at satellite images. Phoenix is insane, for a lack of a better term. The south west of the US is especially interesting because it's mostly desert but then you have sprawling suburbs everywhere. It attracts and repulses me at the same time, like a train wreck. I would consider those the real architectural failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
just poppin in dis thread to say we already have a china.jpg thread

ty & god bless

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Default Settings posted:

I don't think I'm the only European who gets creeped out by aerial photography of US cities.
It all looks so unnatural and unsustainable.

I think European cities look stupid in aerial photographs, the streets make no sense! All the beauty is at ground level.

Cities aren't supposed to be "natural," they're man-made. If you want American cities with unplanned street grids, you can always check out downtown Boston or Arlington, VA.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

I live in Phoenix. Downtown is like 3 blocks.

I live in Mesa, which is a suburb of Phoenix that is so vast that it is its own city. Same goes for Gilbert, and Queen Creek, and the rest of Maricopa. Its all suburbs all the time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Yad Rock posted:

I think European cities look stupid in aerial photographs, the streets make no sense! All the beauty is at ground level.

Cities aren't supposed to be "natural," they're man-made. If you want American cities with unplanned street grids, you can always check out downtown Boston or Arlington, VA.

Try Bryn Mawr, PA. More 5+ way intersections than there are normal 3 or 4 way ones, in a packed urban setting. Some of the buildings tucked into the acute corners are just ridiculous (like our old doctor's office, which was less than a foot wide for more than 5 horizontal feet at one corner). gently caress ever driving through that town again.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Try Bryn Mawr, PA. More 5+ way intersections than there are normal 3 or 4 way ones, in a packed urban setting. Some of the buildings tucked into the acute corners are just ridiculous (like our old doctor's office, which was less than a foot wide for more than 5 horizontal feet at one corner). gently caress ever driving through that town again.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong photos but it doesn't look very packed to me. The main road is even a wide two-lane road. When I think of "packed" I think of any of the old city centers in any European city or in Japan/China/Korea etc..

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Fasdar posted:

If you like sprawl, check out Phoenix or Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs somehow managed to be 100% suburbs due to the large military presence in the area, with almost no high density residencies and a footprint the size of cities many, many times its population.

I lived in a town outside of Colorado Springs from 1977 to 1980. Across the street from my house they were just starting to build a new development. Behind that area was 13,000 acres of undeveloped land. Now it is housing tract after housing tract. I used to ride my dirt bike where there is now nothing but Suburbistan.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

saucerman posted:

Yeah, I've seen those because I spend way too much time looking at satellite images. Phoenix is insane, for a lack of a better term. The south west of the US is especially interesting because it's mostly desert but then you have sprawling suburbs everywhere. It attracts and repulses me at the same time, like a train wreck. I would consider those the real architectural failures.

I'd say that was more town planning than architectural failure, not that there aren't plenty of architectural failures too.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I don't know if I'd call it a failure, because it's one of the most popular housing modes in the world.

European cities 100 years ago had a LOT of negative aspects but they're still considered a successful form, mainly because they were cleaned up and modernized without sacrificing the architecture.

I'm sure if America manages to adopt electric cars while retrofitting suburbia a bit you can have all the good parts of the suburbs without too many negatives.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Roy posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a failure, because it's one of the most popular housing modes in the world.

European cities 100 years ago had a LOT of negative aspects but they're still considered a successful form, mainly because they were cleaned up and modernized without sacrificing the architecture.

I'm sure if America manages to adopt electric cars while retrofitting suburbia a bit you can have all the good parts of the suburbs without too many negatives.

Popular doesn't mean it cannot be a failure.

How would replacing one type of car with another car change anything? The way I see it the problem is the car dependency, not the type of fuel it uses (although that is an issue, too, of course).

And what does retrofitting suburbia mean?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Well, if the cars are electric that opens up the possibility of powering them using green energy, and you minimize local pollution.

Retrofitting means turning old strip-malls and such into small-town centres, increasing density, increasing walkability and adding public transport so that you get less car dependence, and an environment that at least opens up the possibility of not having to drive everywhere.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Roy posted:

Well, if the cars are electric that opens up the possibility of powering them using green energy, and you minimize local pollution.

Retrofitting means turning old strip-malls and such into small-town centres, increasing density, increasing walkability and adding public transport so that you get less car dependence, and an environment that at least opens up the possibility of not having to drive everywhere.

That's going to take a lot of work, considering how widespread the suburbs are, and I am not sure that is realistic.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If your case is that it's not a failure because you can fix it by changing every aspect, then I think a reappraisal is in order.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

GotLag posted:

If your case is that it's not a failure because you can fix it by changing every aspect, then I think a reappraisal is in order.

To be fair, the failures of 1890 are today's gentrified hip neighborhoods.

Suburbs have good and bad aspects just like everything else.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
It is rather phenomenal that it would cost me close to a million dollars to move into a neighborhood my grandparents tried very hard to get out of.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

genesplicer posted:

I lived in a town outside of Colorado Springs from 1977 to 1980. Across the street from my house they were just starting to build a new development. Behind that area was 13,000 acres of undeveloped land. Now it is housing tract after housing tract. I used to ride my dirt bike where there is now nothing but Suburbistan.

I moved to one of the fastest-expanding exurbs in Canada about 12 years ago. When we got there the nearest major intersection had no traffic lights and was surrounded by farmer's fields. Now it's 6 paved lanes wide in every direction and is bracketed by highrise apartments and a megamall. poo poo is ridiculous

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't have much experience but I really do feel like all american suburbs need is decent cheap fast train runs into the city.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

MikeJF posted:

I don't have much experience but I really do feel like all american suburbs need is decent cheap fast train runs into the city.

We've got trains, but the problem is that it's still a suburb. So people have to actually drive to the train station, which in my case has its 1000+ car lot filled to capacity for the day no later than 7 AM, and it cost me ~$18 round-trip per day when I was doing a daily commute to the city proper before considering gas to actually get to the train station in the first place, and b/c its strictly a commuter train that has to share the tracks with commercial trains it only runs for periods in the morning and afternoon, and only one way each time. its basically the bare minimum necessary to enable daily commuters and let the exurb fill its purpose as an exurb but it isnt remotely adequate to actually connect the exurbs to the city in a healthy or useful way for anything beyond 9-5 trips

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

We've got trains, but the problem is that it's still a suburb. So people have to actually drive to the train station, which in my case has its 1000+ car lot filled to capacity for the day no later than 7 AM, and it cost me ~$18 round-trip per day when I was doing a daily commute to the city proper before considering gas to actually get to the train station in the first place, and b/c its strictly a commuter train that has to share the tracks with commercial trains it only runs for periods in the morning and afternoon, and only one way each time. its basically the bare minimum necessary to enable daily commuters and let the exurb fill its purpose as an exurb but it isnt remotely adequate to actually connect the exurbs to the city in a healthy or useful way for anything beyond 9-5 trips

Yeah, I was imagining lines that actually splayed out into the suburb itself, gave more of the suburb reasonable connectivity so you could just head down to the train station and hop on. Or possibly something like 'run a train through the suburb with regular stops, then perpendicular shuttle busses or light rail'. You know, an actually thought out train network rather than 'gently caress it, slap a line down'.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roy posted:

That'd be a neat trick considering a) how large the US actually is and b) Americans really like their space. As an example, when I was shopping for a house about 5 years ago, I wouldn't even consider any place with less than 1/3 acre of land.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I want to get off Mr. Eisenhower's wild ride

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drat NIGGA posted:

The Persistence of Concrete

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

drat NIGGA posted:

As egregious a photoshop as any other

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

Just imagine, all those people could fit into one single bus if they used public transport

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Roy posted:

Just imagine, all those people could fit into one single bus if they used public transport

big bus

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I read this whole thread and i learned, if not to love architecture, to better hate bad architecture

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Roy posted:

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this article today:
http://www.voxeu.org/article/measuring-environmental-benefits-electric-vehicles

(No idea how reliable their analysis is, though)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

drat NIGGA posted:

Imagine if the government proposed a high speed train line that loving wide. DC would burn to the ground.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Roy posted:

Nah, they can afford cars

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

saucerman posted:

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this article today:
http://www.voxeu.org/article/measuring-environmental-benefits-electric-vehicles

(No idea how reliable their analysis is, though)

Makes some good points. By changing to electric cars you have half the job done though even if the electricity grid is dirty. Seems like a logical first step, so long as it's done in conjunction with cleaning up the grid.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AutoArgus posted:

That looks plausible enough to me, even if the tele compression exaggerates the bumps and curves?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

drat NIGGA posted:

HAhaahhaah lol America

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

Ah, Houston. Who needs proper public transit when you can build a 15 lane freeway flanked by expressways, that still gets completely backed up with traffic? :911:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

drat NIGGA posted:

that there is a pretty impressive piece of roadway...

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

drat NIGGA posted:

how the hell do you drive in that thing

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Just to show it isn't just americans that can gently caress up suburbs: a fun story about a london suburb being built without transport, shops, or anything other than houses link

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 17, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ulvir posted:

how the hell do you drive in that thing

Seriously, if you accidentally get into the middle lane is there even a way to get out again, or are you like just forever trapped forced to drive the Huston highway till the heat death of the universe.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

AutoArgus posted:

Look how dumb you are https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7844367,-95.4647707,104a,20y,270h,83.19t/data=!3m1!1e3

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

dr_rat posted:

Seriously, if you accidentally get into the middle lane is there even a way to get out again, or are you like just forever trapped forced to drive the Huston highway till the heat death of the universe.

yeah, looks like an express lane or HOV lane and they open up every so often to merge back into regular traffic and sometimes have their own exits

plus that's not even that bad. spaghetti junction in atlanta is way more confusing and can be terrifying when there are huge trucks and nobody's letting you merge into traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Genuine question. Where is the "hip" part of Houston? Is there any?

• Locked thread