Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

The elevator memory was an UNpleasant memory. A subtle clue that he is not a parasite.

It wasn't an unpleasant memory. It was a memory of a bad situation where the parasites remained positive and the situation resolved. You know, almost exactly like the Nazi memory, which I'm guessing you would also characterize as unpleasant? Because the situation was almost exactly the same, as was the resolution. The only difference was that instead of being stuck in an elevator and not being able to go to the bathroom, they were tied up on a U-boat (I think) and were about to be killed by a Nazi. Those two sequences followed the exact same template.

And then, what do you know, a new wacky character arrives to save the whole family, making the memory a happy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How do I know if you're real?
(Finger hovers over report button) Are you a simulation?! Huh, you little piece of poo poo, are you?!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo... we're really peeling back the onion here, and even though I'm arguing a ridiculous thing about a ridiculous thing, I have to say that this is a positive exp...

oh my God.

Rick and Morty, the TV show, is a parasite!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
sheds gloves

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

JT Jag posted:

(Finger hovers over report button) Are you a simulation?! Huh, you little piece of poo poo, are you?!

WHY DON'T YOU DO US BOTH A FAVOR AND PRESS THE BUTTON

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tarlibone posted:

It wasn't an unpleasant memory. It was a memory of a bad situation where the parasites remained positive and the situation resolved. You know, almost exactly like the Nazi memory, which I'm guessing you would also characterize as unpleasant? Because the situation was almost exactly the same, as was the resolution. The only difference was that instead of being stuck in an elevator and not being able to go to the bathroom, they were tied up on a U-boat (I think) and were about to be killed by a Nazi. Those two sequences followed the exact same template.

And then, what do you know, a new wacky character arrives to save the whole family, making the memory a happy one.

I suppose that's true, although in the case of the elevator memory the new character to arrive was cousin Nicky, there isn't really a difference in the overall scenario.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just how genuine was Sleepy Gary's feelings for Jerry?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Re-watched it, little things I loved:

- Neither Beth nor Poopy have photos of each other, hints that they just don't hang out much and avoided bad experiences which later led to Beth plugging the Butthole;
- Rick's smirk when the butler looks up at him and begs for his life during the rampage, like goddamn what a perfect angle to draw that from;
- When Beth remembers being a jerk versus the parking lot zombie, it starts with her lugging two overstuffed bags of groceries while Jerrrry is toting a mere carton of eggs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Apparently the 3DS scene was based off real events.

kalensc posted:

- When Beth remembers being a jerk versus the parking lot zombie, it starts with her lugging two overstuffed bags of groceries while Jerrrry is toting a mere carton of eggs.

Hey that was a homeless person, not a zombie. No need to be rude!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This episode gave me a real Carpenter's Thing vibe. Alien monsters disguise themselves in an isolated location and the human inhabitants have to prevent the threat from escaping and ruining the outside world.

kalensc posted:

- Neither Beth nor Poopy have photos of each other, hints that they just don't hang out much and avoided bad experiences which later led to Beth plugging the Butthole
I bet Mr. Poopybutthole is just as mean to Jerry as everyone else is. He just does it in a really condescending way.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So is his name Poopy Butthole, referred to as Mr Poopy Butthole, is do we not know his first name and Poopybutthole is his last name?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

tarlibone posted:

I just re-watched that scene, and I think it's an inexplicably muffled squeal followed by "Awesome!" from Summer.

As for Mr. Poopy Butthole, I think he's a parasite. And in true Dan Harmon Meta form, I think that the flashback that enshrines Mr. Poopy Butthole into everyone's memory is... the opening credits sequence. Think about it. That's a series of scenes that we've all seen a few times by now, but now they are clearly different because they include Mr. Poopy Butthole. The other flashback he causes is the one in the elevator after the Hulk musical. The flashbacks with Rick all have one thing in common, other than wacky new characters: they feature Rick in situations he'd never, ever be in. Rick isn't going to fall in love with barbecuing. And, he's not going to watch a Hulk musical with his family.

As for the last part where he's supposedly real... c'mon. He is only ever referred to as Mister Poopy Butthole, honorific and all. He's clearly not human and nobody's even batting an eye, just like many of the parasites that were killed. It's most likely itself a fake memory and part of a long-con, as some have suggested. It may never even come up again, or it might be dealt with at the beginning of the next episode.

Of course, it could be a simple (Warning! TV Tropes link! Click only if you have a few hours!) Rule of Funny. I'm not saying Harmon and crew are above something like that, but this show is a little bit more strict with continuity than most shows that would do something like this just for laughs (like Aqua Teen Hunger Force).

Check this out:

The character's name is Mr Poopy Butthole

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
People saying Poopy isnt real are stupid.

1. He was in season 1
2. He was in a bad memory. (getting stuck in an elevator isnt fun)
3. The end clearly says he was.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Morty being able to figure out the parasites game while Rick Redgrin Grumbled along with the explanation was great.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Anyway this ep was a really good tear into Family Guy crap, and ends with them murdering that show's gimmick

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also, you know, he was shot and blood came out instead of a parasite. That seems like the obvious tell that he's not a parasite to me.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Check this out:

The character's name is Mr Poopy Butthole
You know why his name is Poopybutthole? HE'S FULL OF poo poo

BOOM, PARASITE BUTTHOLE CONFIRMED

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

I either heard him telling that story somehow before or know of others that did similar things when that deal was going on because that scene was so familiar to me in a real sense, which of course made it all the more hilarious.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JT Jag posted:

Also, you know, he was shot and blood came out instead of a parasite. That seems like the obvious tell that he's not a parasite to me.

Implanted squibs and blood packets. Long con, Jt Jag... the long con.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

JT Jag posted:

But the cousin got shot in the arm once and didn't die

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brightman posted:

I either heard him telling that story somehow before or know of others that did similar things when that deal was going on because that scene was so familiar to me in a real sense, which of course made it all the more hilarious.

That, and he breaks character like halfway through.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Top Hats Monthly posted:

But the cousin got shot in the arm once and didn't die

Yeah but the cousin bled purple.

az
Dec 2, 2005

don't think about it you jerries

GueroDeEncanta
Jan 28, 2005

Mr. Poopy Butthole has always been there for you. https://instagram.com/p/5VUnnApLla/

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

How is this show this good, holy poo poo. The whole episode was great but then the ending and post-credits thing was amazing.

I am so glad they got a 3rd season.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Apparently the 3DS scene was based off real events.

Hey that was a homeless person, not a zombie. No need to be rude!

I love the desperation in Rick's "Hurry, HURRY! Come with me!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

People saying Poopy isnt real are stupid.

1. He was in season 1
2. He was in a bad memory. (getting stuck in an elevator isnt fun)
3. The end clearly says he was.

On point #2: I already noted that the elevator sequence uses the exact same framework as the Nazi sequence. It was a bad situation that ended up being a good memory thanks to the help of a fictional (to the Smiths) character. In one case, it was a New York stereotype. In another, it was a British butler stereotype.

Pretty much the same scene twice, but one was a bit more intense. So I guess that bit on the Nazi U-boat really happened?

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 17, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GueroDeEncanta posted:

Mr. Poopy Butthole has always been there for you. https://instagram.com/p/5VUnnApLla/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. Poopy Butthole is not a parasite. He is a joke.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

Mr. Poopy Butthole is not a parasite. He is a joke.

He's sorry you have no bad memories of him.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Rick's delivery of "He's a real piece of poo poo" in the intro was absolutely the best line in the episode to me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

tarlibone posted:

On point #2: I already noted that the elevator sequence uses the exact same framework as the Nazi sequence. It was a bad situation that ended up being a good memory thanks to the help of a fictional (to the Smiths) character. In one case, it was a New York stereotype. In another, it was a British butler stereotype.

Pretty much the same scene twice, but one was a bit more intense. So I guess that bit on the Nazi U-boat really happened?
I'm guessing that all of the scenes described in this episode happened, the parasites just doctored them to include themselves in them.

That includes the never after bedtime-land memory. Except the real memory was Summer just sitting in her bed alone.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

mr. poopy butthole isn't a parasite but he is a carrier. He's the typoid mary of space parasites, asking everyone to flash back and spreading it all around.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

I'm guessing that all of the scenes described in this episode happened, the parasites just doctored them to include themselves in them.

That includes the never after bedtime-land memory. Except the real memory was Summer just sitting in her bed alone.

I don't know. Maybe. But in the beginning of the episode, Morty says that Steve taught him how to ride a bike... and that clearly didn't happen. It could be his dad teaching him how to ride his bike and then Steve helps out or something, but... well, then there's the Jerry and Sleepy Gary scene on the sailboat on vacation. Does Jerry seem like the kind of guy who goes on vacations that involve sailing down a river or down the coast of anywhere? I mean, he waited forever to take a short, fake cruise on a Titanic replica.

And when did the family get tied up on a U-boat, held prisoner by a Nazi with a magic staff? Does Beth have a donated kidney?

No, I think they created the memories so they could insert themselves into it. Unless we're all to believe that Rick was in the infantry during Vietnam, of course.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If a parasite creates a false memory of teaching you a skill, do you learn the skill for real?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Applewhite posted:

If a parasite creates a false memory of teaching you a skill, do you learn the skill for real?

Yes but you can only perform that skill as well as someone who learned it from a parasite could.

not very well

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Applewhite posted:

I would assume not, but you won't realize that until you confidently start using the skill you don't actually have. Morty's going to hop onto a bicycle and immediately fall over. Rick is going to barbecue burgers like poo poo, turning them into lumps of charcoal with raw centers. Jerry's going to give toothy BJs like a clumsy virgin. And so on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robot Hobo posted:

I would assume not, but you won't realize that until you confidently start using the skill you don't actually have. Morty's going to hop onto a bicycle and immediately fall over. Rick is going to barbecue burgers like poo poo, turning them into lumps of charcoal with raw centers. Jerry's going to give toothy BJs like a clumsy virgin. And so on.

I would assume in each of those cases they learned from someone else and then the parasite latched onto it, replacing the original person in their memories.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Mr. Poopy Butthole is obviously real you nerds. In his elevator memory Jerry was Beth's wife, not Sleepy Dan/Dave/Gary whatever his name is. If he was fake that memory would have had reinforced the delusions that sleepy whatever is the husband.

The again Cousin Nicki referred to the to his relation to all of them as "a family". Meaning that the parasite acknowledged that Jerry is married to Beth, then later changed it to convince Jerry hes just a family friend. I guess that means the parasite is inconsistent in its false memories. So I guess there goes what I was saying before. But hes still definitely real because that's the punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
MPB has red blood so he's real.

• Locked thread