Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

SplitSoul posted:

post the saddest nazi gatherings you got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

circ dick soleil posted:

Aren't you pro-GamerGate?
I think both sides are dumb/wrong and largely use the same tactics when it suits them.

As a tangential point i think real progressives should view "problematic" stuff like neo nazis the same way they view crime stats in minority neighborhoods. Just look at the pictures of the neonazis, do those look like happy people or do they look like disgruntled rubes who turned to a dumb ideology with easy scapegoats because it alleviates the burden of their lovely lives? Imo we should be more concerned with tackling the socioeconomic issues that push people to these extremists positions the same way i think we should be tackling the socioeconomic issues that drive people towards crime instead of vilifying the individual offenders.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess my point is if you look back historically to any social change there was a period where what we now see as the right side was the minority and the majority who opposed them thought they were in the moral right. They justified their atrocities etc by dehumanizing their victims and with the support of being the majority could get away with this behavior.

this is an "all else being equal..." sort of argument but it kind of falls flat when the minority viewpoint being squashed is that hitler was actually good

ArbitraryC posted:

Im not saying i think neo nazis are going to be heralded as civil rights figures 50 years from now but i do think when new important cultural issues are in their early stages we should have an environment where even those with views the majority oppose can nonviolently demonstrate and not be met with violence as a response. I do not personally trust society to ethically handle things by mob rule and i don't know how anyone who has taken a history class could.

this cultural issue isn't in an early stage

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Clemocracy posted:

its honestly just a bunch of leftists beating the poo poo out of each other so im all for it

Neo-Nazis: The True Leftists

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

I think both sides are dumb/wrong and largely use the same tactics when it suits them.

As a tangential point i think real progressives should view "problematic" stuff like neo nazis the same way they view crime stats in minority neighborhoods. Just look at the pictures of the neonazis, do those look like happy people or do they look like disgruntled rubes who turned to a dumb ideology with easy scapegoats because it alleviates the burden of their lovely lives? Imo we should be more concerned with tackling the socioeconomic issues that push people to these extremists positions the same way i think we should be tackling the socioeconomic issues that drive people towards crime instead of vilifying the individual offenders.

Because if the nazis had money they wouldn't be turning to nazism?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ArbitraryC posted:

Please do not apply your views of crisis management to any situation in the real world, please.

"This building is on fire. We should determine the causes of this fire and seek to prevent this from happening in the future" *building burns down and kills everyone inside*

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Neo-nazis are actually radicalized white working class people.

Anti-facists are generally upper middle class young people with highly educated resourceful parents.

So what you're seeing is actually a scene from a sort of class war where a gang of upper class kids are attacking a working class rally for not being the right kind of working class (quiet, reflected, meek, the same kind of working class that 19th century Victorian lords preferred).

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ddraig posted:

Please do not apply your views of crisis management to any situation in the real world, please.

"This building is on fire. We should determine the causes of this fire and seek to prevent this from happening in the future" *building burns down and kills everyone inside*

please do not try to put your thoughts into words again

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Roy posted:

Anti-facists are generally upper middle class young people with highly educated resourceful parents.

No they aren't, lol.

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

circ dick soleil posted:

Fascists aren't leftist.

i see two groups of people who want to nationalize large industries, create large strong labor unions, and vastly expand government services having a slap fight

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Neo-nazis are usually hard working, poor, honest people just trying to make a living.

Anti-fascists are evil, despicable zionist scum who hold the reigns of the free world.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Clemocracy posted:

i see two groups of people who want to nationalize large industries, create large strong labor unions, and vastly expand government services.

Fascists are quite literally, by their own definition, right-wing.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I'm enjoying this thread immensly

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

proof of concept posted:

this is an "all else being equal..." sort of argument but it kind of falls flat when the minority viewpoint being squashed is that hitler was actually good
Would you say there are no wrong methods only wrong targets?

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

circ dick soleil posted:

Fascists are quite literally, by their own definition, right-wing.

in what way, not in the modern sense, republicans aint touching that policy sheet with a 50 foot pole. Think for yourself

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
gently caress. Piss.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

No they aren't, lol.

You obviously haven't met a lot of them. I know a lot of people who are involved in anti-facist circles and it's always the same pattern. 90% come from a privileged background, and you have a few token poors.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

Aug 4, 2010

the english are naturally a racist peoples, they cant help themselves.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

no, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other words you're going to put in my mouth

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

www posted:

the english are naturally a racist peoples, they cant help themselves.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

lol ok... so I understand how american neonazis exist... germany didn't actually attack the united states landmass during ww2 and despite the country's collective jewish heritage, perhaps hitler had the right idea... but england was hosed by the hands of the nazis... and considering how much retarded brits like to dwell on the past... how are there people that idolize hitler

a lot of important british people, including royalty and the daily mail owner, thought the nazis were great.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Roy posted:

You obviously haven't met a lot of them. I know a lot of people who are involved in anti-facist circles and it's always the same pattern. 90% come from a privileged background, and you have a few token poors.

I know a lot of racists and neo-nazis and 95% of them come from a privileged background.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
normally I'd agree with ArbC here but imo fascists are like a disease that needs to get cut out ASAP especially the nazi version

gently caress em

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Nigel Farage posted:

Not when it opposes Islam, Muslims, Immigrants and promotes White heritage and nationalism. Then fascism is indeed a beautiful ideology that I fully support.

nice to see comedy return to the somethingawful dot com forums

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

You mentioned the situation in Greece where a similar environment to depression Germany is developing and the fascists are gaining real traction. What is your thoughts on antifascism in a developed fascist state? Should they passively counter-protest Golden Dawn marches? Only fight back when attacked? Wait and see?

IMO the WW2 precedent shows what can happen when Nazism is allowed to get a foothold. So you don't let it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Henry Ford idolized Hitler and kept a photo of the guy on his desk.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

proof of concept posted:

no, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other words you're going to put in my mouth
I wasn't putting anything in your mouth I'm just trying to clarify your position. Would you say a violent response to a peaceful assembly is okay?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

I wasn't putting anything in your mouth I'm just trying to clarify your position. Would you say a violent response to a peaceful assembly is okay?

What we really need is Affirmative Action but for neo-nazis.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

if it is an assembly of people whose stated goal is to worm their way into the government/democratic system for the sole purpose of dismantling it from within and creating an authoritarian nightmare state, yeah

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

I know a lot of racists and neo-nazis and 95% of them come from a privileged background.

Let's take a look at Leith, ND, the self-proclaimed heart of the American Neo-Nazi movement

The people here definitely deserve to be punched in the face by upper middle class 20-somethings

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

corpuscollossus posted:

You mentioned the situation in Greece where a similar environment to depression Germany is developing and the fascists are gaining real traction. What is your thoughts on antifascism in a developed fascist state? Should they passively counter-protest Golden Dawn marches? Only fight back when attacked? Wait and see?

IMO the WW2 precedent shows what can happen when Nazism is allowed to get a foothold. So you don't let it.
I think you should address the concerns that are driving people towards such ideologies, if we learned anything from ww2 we wouldn't let greece get in this economic position in the first place.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

yes, for example when I key cars that have bumper stickers for evil sports teams that are the rivals of the good sports teams that I like

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Roy posted:

Let's take a look at Leith, ND, the self-proclaimed heart of the American Neo-Nazi movement

The people here definitely deserve to be punched in the face by upper middle class 20-somethings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_members_in_United_States_politics

Socioeconomics are to blame, right?

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

ArbitraryC posted:

It depends how abhorrent the ideology of the assembly.
In this day and age if PIE (paedophile information exchange) decided to peacefully assemble and promote kiddy loving then they deserve a good beating imo. And nazis too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kind of sad when people get so blinded by righteousness they mistake suffering for evil.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I think you should address the concerns that are driving people towards such ideologies, if we learned anything from ww2 we wouldn't let greece get in this economic position in the first place.

If you really think about it, its the international banking elite who did this to Greece.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kind of sad when people get so blinded by righteousness they mistake suffering for evil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_members_in_United_States_politics

Socioeconomics are to blame, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
These poor hardworking Americans had to turn to nazism out of pure desperation. How dare you mock their valiant struggle :qq:

• Locked thread