Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Marcelys Jones got kicked off UK already, how the hell do you even do that?

e: Jones transferred in like a month ago, so he works fast

that was the guy from Ohio State, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
yeah

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
At Michigan camp, Harbaugh decided to randomly have the entire team playing softball for a day, just to see who is unflinchingly competitive in all possible situations.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Oh hey, news (kinda)

quote:

Northwestern Football Players Cannot Form a Union, NLRB Rules

Northwestern University football players cannot form a union, the National Labor Relations Board ruled, overturning a March 2014 decision and ending the players’ bid to change the college sports landscape.

Among the board’s findings in a unanimous 16-page opinion was that certifying the players’ petition “would not promote uniformity and stability in labor relations,” and that allowing Northwestern players to bargain with a single employer over policies that apply throughout the National Collegiate Athletic Association would potentially upset the balance of competition.

In what NLRB officials called a “very narrow decision,” the board declined to address whether the players are employees at Northwestern and ruled rather on whether granting their petition would serve the purposes of the National Labor Relations Act. Of the 125 football programs in the NCAA’s Football Bowl Subdivision, the top echelon, just 17 are private schools and Northwestern is the only one in the Big Ten Conference.

More: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-17/northwestern-football-players-cannot-form-a-union-nlrb-rules

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Ricky Town transferring is kind of surprising, but in hindsight it is surprising that he went to USC at all if he's transferring at this point. He must have come in thinking that he'd be 3rd string worst case, and possibly backing up Kessler this fall (which wasn't a horrible assumption - Max Browne still looked pretty green in the garbage time when he played last year, and the other QB coming in was ONLY a 4 star Sam Darnold). Now in fall camp, he found himself 4th string behind a much improved Max Browne and Sam Darnold, who it turns out is pretty impressive. USC finds itself in a weird position - they'd have been better off NOT getting a 5 star QB, since they are still scholarship restrained and that spot could have gone to another athlete (like one of the 4 guys they blue shirted).Now that scholarship spot in the 2015 class is gone with Town transferring.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

You will continue to work for the system until the system lets you die.

Reading their reasoning looks like Bush v Gore speciousness: they're essentially saying that if the NLRB were to allow them to unionise, they could only do that with private universities and not public ones and since that would be unfair to public universities they can't do it. They're basically saying the merits of the case don't matter because it would create competition and foster a free market.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So, uh, sad news and all but can I have NCAA Football 2016 then?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
gently caress this Gay Country

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This is a little late for stadiumchat, but it always focuses on the biggest stadiums. So I decided to go the other way. Behold. The smallest stadium in each FBS conference. First, the G5

American
Yulman Stadium (Tulane) - 30,000

Conference USA
Jerry Richardson Stadium (Charlotte) - 15,314 (also the smallest stadium in FBS period)

MAC
Warren McGuirk Alumni Stadium (UMass) - 17,000

Mountain West
Maverik Stadium (Utah State) - 25,513

Sun Belt
Kibbie Dome (Idaho) - 16,000

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
And the smallest stadium in each P5 conference

ACC
BB&T Field (Wake Forest) - 31,500

Big XII
Amon G. Carter Stadium (TCU) - 45,000

Big Ten
Ryan Field (Northwestern) - 47,130

Pac-12
Martin Stadium (Washington State) - 32,248

SEC
Vanderbilt Stadium (Vanderbilt) - 39,790

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoguh posted:

And the smallest stadium in each P5 conference

ACC
BB&T Field (Wake Forest) - 31,500

As small as wake's stadium is, it's really nice :unsmith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

Conference USA
Jerry Richardson Stadium (Charlotte) - 15,314 (also the smallest stadium in FBS period)

Built with room for expansion, lol

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

American
Yulman Stadium (Tulane) - 30,000

This new stadium is going to be so good for Tulane.

So the next stadium chat post I want to see is "newest" and "oldest" stadiums in each conference. For newest, I'd go with newest complete stadium, for oldest, I'd go with longest since major renovation (adding suites, decks, other things that majorly change the look of the stadium).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Thoguh posted:

This is a little late for stadiumchat, but it always focuses on the biggest stadiums. So I decided to go the other way. Behold. The smallest stadium in each FBS conference. First, the G5

MAC

Man they just could not be bothered apparently. It looks like a "Football Stadium" tile piece you'd throw down in a simcity game that they forgot to build anything around or connect anything to.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Big Ten
Ryan Field (Northwestern) - 47,130

Great sight lines on the lower right there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

D.N. Nation posted:

"oh poo poo, we got the angle wrong. quick add a section of seats, no one will notice!"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Bad news for Arkansas. Jonathan Williams is out until December with a foot injury. He might be available for bowl season. As a senior, can he get a redshirt?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Morby posted:

Bad news for Arkansas. Jonathan Williams is out until December with a foot injury. He might be available for bowl season. As a senior, can he get a redshirt?

he can apply for a medical hardship, yup.

my alex collins pick in the fantasy league is looking better and better, though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

VDay posted:

Man they just could not be bothered apparently. It looks like a "Football Stadium" tile piece you'd throw down in a simcity game that they forgot to build anything around or connect anything to.

It really does look like an utterly depressing place.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Morby posted:

If he redshirted in the past due to injury: probably, yes. He has to petition the NCAA but they're usually good about it.

If he redshirted in the past due to non-injury: no.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It always gets me that you can see how BB&T Field @ WF and Lane Stadium were built on the same concept, but VT has managed to make a program worth doubling it's original base.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I honestly had no idea the front of Wake's stadium looked like that. I've been there twice and I'm fairly certain we came in on the away side(I think near the club seats over there) so I never saw the front. Sat on the hill once, it was actually pretty great.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
Washington's lone returning starter on the OL just retired from football. That means that we now need to replace last year's starting:

QB
#1 WR
LT
LG
C
RG
RT

DE
DT
DT
DE
OLB
MLB

That's all of the OL, and 6 of the front 7. Going to to be a long year!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Zifnab posted:

Washington's lone returning starter on the OL just retired from football. That means that we now need to replace last year's starting:

QB
#1 WR
LT
LG
C
RG
RT

DE
DT
DT
DE
OLB
MLB

Look at it this way, you have the potential for a lot of break-out stars this year

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

D.N. Nation posted:

It's no big deal; watching a game at Ryan Field is like going to a PTA meeting anyway

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Zifnab posted:

QB
#1 WR
LT
LG
C
RG
RT

DE
DT
DT
DE
OLB
MLB

Hey, at least you only have the...#1 most difficult schedule. It'll be fine!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
And yet they're still better off than Kansas.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Scarf posted:

Look at it this way, you have the potential for a lot of break-out stars this year

Our team is gonna be the Dwayne Washington (a significant downgrade from Polk and Sankey) and Budda Baker Show and that's about it, maybe someone steps up in the secondary but iirc Najiel Hale was either a starter or the nickel and he was dismissed from the team a couple of weeks ago so we have to replace him too :suicide: e: and we don't have or get ridiculous freshmen like a Royce Freeman that can contribute in meaningful ways

And I can't even be happy about playing Wazzu this year because everyone here will (deservedly) be rooting for Wazzu

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 17, 2015

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I know I'll get my comeuppance once basketball starts, but it's going to be fun to see how historically bad Kansas is this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Manoueverable posted:

Our team is gonna be the Dwayne Washington (a significant downgrade from Polk and Sankey) and Budda Baker Show and that's about it, maybe someone steps up in the secondary but iirc Najiel Hale was either a starter or the nickel and he was dismissed from the team a couple of weeks ago so we have to replace him too :suicide:

And I can't even be happy about playing Wazzu this year because everyone here will (deservedly) be rooting for Wazzu

*sigh* and I've got Washington as my #3 RB.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Morby posted:

He has a redshirt year he can take, yes. The question is what his draft status would be now after missing a year - he will probably opt to return next year IMO though it's hard to tell because it is similar to what happen to Knile Davis.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

MAC

Are they not playing in Gillette anymore? Also what happened to them getting kicked out of the MAC?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are they not playing in Gillette anymore? Also what happened to them getting kicked out of the MAC?

They split their games between Gillette and McGuirk. This is their last year in the MAC. Once they go independent the "smallest MAC stadium" banner will be passed to Ball State at 22,500

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 17, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The NCAA ruled their stadium was too small for NCAA D1 play, so it was being remolded and expanded while they played in Gillette.

MAC wants them out partly because the team was total rear end for most of the time they were in it, and because I don't think they want football-only members anymore.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

Mountain West
Maverik Stadium (Utah State) - 25,513

This one seems so weird because the seats don't even extend all the way to one end zone, but yet they bowled in the other end zone.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Now lets find the most insane Texas High School Football stadiums.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

soggybagel posted:

I considered playing a game of "guess the stadium: Sun Belt or Texas High School", but I figured that'd be too much effort.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

soggybagel posted:

The biggest Texas HS stadium that's only used by one school is Eagle Stadium in Allen, TX.

It seats 18,000 and cost $60 million. There are a handful of other stadiums used by Texas high school football teams that seat more, but they're all shared by multiple schools and sometimes professional sports teams, so if you want the most decadent high school football stadium, then look no further.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

The biggest Texas HS stadium that's only used by one school is Eagle Stadium in Allen, TX.

It seats 18,000 and cost $60 million. There are a handful of other stadiums used by Texas high school football teams that seat more, but they're all shared by multiple schools and sometimes professional sports teams, so if you want the most decadent high school football stadium, then look no further.

This was also improperly built so that the pillars were cracking and had to be shut down for the first 2 years of its life so they could sue the construction and architecture firms and get it fixed.

E: For multi-school stadiums, there's Cy-Fair ISD's 16k seat stadium (and next door their 10k seat arena).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9053567,-95.6958409,751a,20y,90h,41.52t/data=!3m1!1e3

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

$60M, plus $10M more to fix cracks in the foundation and poor support structure design and, as insult to injury, $5,300 a game from Allen ISD to Plano ISD to host Allen's home games while the stadium was being repaired.

e: beaten like rational Allen residents who didn't approve this monstrosity

• Locked thread