Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Plom Bar posted:

Looks like no Paradox Space in the foreseeable future unless more people buy books. It's cool that they're looking to pay their creatives fairly, and understandable that they don't want the website to be a moneysink, but now I'm wondering where all those homestuck bux have been going (they've been going into the game).

They've been going into drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Classtoise posted:

Because ARquiusprite and half of Gamzee became part of Lord English. THIS ARquiusprite is in a universe with no half-Gamzee, so presumably it's still "old universe" ARquiusprite and Gamzee.

Read the sequence again. That Gamzee was whole and got split at some point during the kid's future fight with Caliborn.

Also BOTH Arquiussprites are in a universe with a full Gamzee.

edit- by sequence I mean this. He's fine here and in two pieces two pages later.

To recap:

pre-retcon: Gamzee died. Pre-retcon ARqsprite presumably hitched a ride on Lowas to post-retcon, like Davesprite and Nannasprite.

post-retcon: Gamzee alive- presumably goes to where/whenever Caliborn is, at some point in his future timeline, unless further shenanigans are revealed, then gets split in half and one half gets absorbed into Cal. Post-retcon Arquiussprite doing stuff. Pre-retcon Arquiussprite also doing stuff.

Two sprites, one cap(ricorn)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 17, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Plom Bar posted:

now I'm wondering where all those homestuck bux have been going (they've been going into the game).

This is loud, and also from Dota 2, but immediately came to mind when I thought of what Hussie would spend his money on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SHISHKABOB posted:

They've been going into drugs.

They went into the Fairly Odd Gentlemen's pockets.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

How does Gamzee have any effect on which of the two existing ARquiusprite do or do not do a thing.

(Davepeta as well, for that matter)

Well for Davepeta I just thought that an ARquius who has more of a personal attachment to someone would be less likely to become part of Lord English. Admittedly we don't know ARquius' motives when he jumped Caliborn, so perhaps he was just trying to be a hero. (In which case who even knows which ARquius it is) I just thought that pre retcon ARquius acted shadier than what we've seen of post retcon ARquius so far.

Edit: Not to mention pre retcon ARquius completely hosed up apologizing to Nepeta.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The horse painting guy made a second painting and Andrew just had to get it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Paperseverywhere (Adrienne Garcia) has put up an in-progress version of her current animation. She says it's about halfway done. *drat*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3KO4A1Y74

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I watched the first part of the Steam Train coverage of the new King's Quest, and I must grudgingly admit that it does look like a good and inspired game.

Too bad that it was paid for with lies and betrayal

If they manage even half of a good King's Quest game, they'll be doing infinitely better than Sierra ever did.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Prison Warden posted:

If they manage even half of a good King's Quest game, they'll be doing infinitely better than Sierra ever did.

King's Quest 6 was good.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Plom Bar posted:

King's Quest 6 was good.

how do you sleep at night

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I suppose it's always possible that Lord English has been retjohnned from ever coming into existence and the ending will be a homily on the theme of "just because people spent your entire childhood telling you what your life would be like doesn't mean they weren't totally wrong."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lord English is in the furthest ring though, so retjohnning wouldn't actually negate his existence. In the same way that I'm pretty sure we saw there were two copies of alive aradia in vriska's Instagram flash.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Random question, but since whatpumpkin went strictly game development, what happened to all the prints? One of my prints was damaged during a move and want to replace it, but I can't find any on the new welovefine store.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Between all the kings quest games there's at least half a game of decent stuff

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Milli posted:

Random question, but since whatpumpkin went strictly game development, what happened to all the prints? One of my prints was damaged during a move and want to replace it, but I can't find any on the new welovefine store.

They've said that they're still figuring out how to do prints on welovefine. Weloveine also doesn't have the God Tier hoodies yet.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Plom Bar posted:

(they've been going into the game).

Well, it's not like the Kickstarter money went into the game.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

man a bunch of those dudes really suck!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

paranoid randroid posted:

man a bunch of those dudes really suck!

Well, I mean...it IS NeoGAF.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
ryan north got stuck in a hole today, and the internet had to send him commands to get him out. naturally, this has led to:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ryan North could never get stuck in any hole, given his unnatural tallness attribute.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Chompsky is a pro tier dog name. Almost as good as Karl Barx.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chompsky is a pro tier dog name. Almost as good as Karl Barx.

For more Chompsky, see this Lenovo commercial that Ryan North and Chompsky were in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8O85z2UFM

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
IMPORTANT: this hole, was it made for Ryan North?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Can I have a moment of seriousness and say that after rewatching Terezi: Rememb8r that it is now definitely my favorite flash? There's an incredible sense of impending finality that just reassures me that Homestuck is actually finally ending and everything will be okay.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pandaK posted:

Can I have a moment of seriousness and say that after rewatching Terezi: Rememb8r that it is now definitely my favorite flash? There's an incredible sense of impending finality that just reassures me that Homestuck is actually finally ending and everything will be okay.

Agreed. The whole lilypad sequence pulled a lot of character threads in, and then Rememb8r both brought more depth to Terezi and pushed us forward toward the end game.

e: My favorite is still GAME OVER because of the number of plot threads it pulled together and then cut, dissolving me into tears.

ee: Currently, the only absolutely known people (not counting LE) who remember the GAME OVER timeline are John, Roxy, Terezi, Davepetasprite, and ARquiussprite, right? I don't clearly recall if Rose herself has access to her former memories, or if that was only Rosesprite who did. Dirk was alive but splintered at the end of GAME OVER, but didn't travel into the RetJohn with John and Roxy. There's also pre-scratch Davesprite, if still alive, and any other pre-scratch sprites that haven't already gone megasprite.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 18, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
None of that poo poo matters cause it's a flash about a bunch a dead nobodies who aren't important enough to be the real protagonists.

It's a nice wrap up on plot lines for versions of characters that ultimately mean nothing or did nothing. So glad we got to see that Dave Corpse and Jade Corpse just look at each other.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of that poo poo matters cause it's a flash about a bunch a dead nobodies who aren't important enough to be the real protagonists.

It's a nice wrap up on plot lines for versions of characters that ultimately mean nothing or did nothing. So glad we got to see that Dave Corpse and Jade Corpse just look at each other.

Fortunately, Ikimaru, who did the pictures for that section of the Flash, also did a fix-it sketch. http://ikimaru.tumblr.com/image/125221509710

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Agreed. The whole lilypad sequence pulled a lot of character threads in, and then Rememb8r both brought more depth to Terezi and pushed us forward toward the end game.

e: My favorite is still GAME OVER because of the number of plot threads it pulled together and then cut, dissolving me into tears.

ee: Currently, the only absolutely known people (not counting LE) who remember the GAME OVER timeline are John, Roxy, Terezi, Davepetasprite, and ARquiussprite, right? I don't clearly recall if Rose herself has access to her former memories, or if that was only Rosesprite who did. Dirk was alive but splintered at the end of GAME OVER, but didn't travel into the RetJohn with John and Roxy. There's also pre-scratch Davesprite, if still alive, and any other pre-scratch sprites that haven't already gone megasprite.

pre-scratch davesprite IS davepetasprite
there's also nannasprite, and jasprosesprite.

If Rose does know it'd be from her seer of light powers but I dunno.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also I don't think we've seen for sure that ARquiusprite came through with the other sprites? Or Erisolsprite, he was also alive for Game Over.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The comic itself acknowledges and explores the idea of people being "relevant", and more than a few characters suggest no version of a person is no more or less meaningful than any other. That whole sequence played on this idea to show how developments from the lost timeline were still important to the people who lived in it and current Terezi absorbing the memories of her past self to fuel important character realizations. C'mon man this is basic stuff here.

In terms of raw plot advancement it is not the engine that Cascade, Game Over or Descend were, but in terms of audience catharsis by acknowledging seemingly-abandoned plot threads readers were invested in and providing closure on certain characters and relationships it's obviously going to be a big hit for a lot of people. I loved it even if none of it ever really "matters" to the working out of the plot.

We also needed it for:

which is 100% canon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WeLoveFine is having another T-shirt contest. The user interface is terrible. You have to browse an infinite-scroll list, and rating any individual design causes it to reload. (?!?!?!) Open in new window is in your friend. The art quality varies. But if you don't like at least one of this or this you have no soul and I do not want to know you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

The comic itself acknowledges and explores the idea of people being "relevant", and more than a few characters suggest no version of a person is no more or less meaningful than any other. That whole sequence played on this idea to show how developments from the lost timeline were still important to the people who lived in it and current Terezi absorbing the memories of her past self to fuel important character realizations. C'mon man this is basic stuff here.

That's total bullshit though because then the plot of the comic itself goes on to name versions of characters as relevant or not because they're the ones with which the comic moves forward with. The entirety of the Retcon powers poo poo is Terezi, through John, stacking the right group of idiots in the right ways so that they can actually do anything about anything.

It's the same bullshit of having Dave and Rose talk about how nobody really has a destiny or a role or arc or anything like that when the facts of the comic itself shows that without all that the characters we see would not exist at all. The game made them to make themselves and created roles and arcs and powers for the kids to get that would let them be able to influence change against forces they'd otherwise be without. Since it's all predetermined they wouldn't have that poo poo if they didn't fit those roles.

And honestly at some point it kind of just feels like the author is floundering in spots here and there. A lot of plot points and arcs and story beats feel dropped for long stretches and then are summarily explained away in short bursts and that makes it seems the writer is just turning into the fact that a lot of poo poo was set up to go one way and then didn't go anywhere. I mean, there's a difference between a twist and just changing the story, which is fine to do but having the characters later just say "Actually we have no arcs, narrative form is dumb" just feels disingenuous at a point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That's total bullshit though because then the plot of the comic itself goes on to name versions of characters as relevant or not because they're the ones with which the comic moves forward with. The entirety of the Retcon powers poo poo is Terezi, through John, stacking the right group of idiots in the right ways so that they can actually do anything about anything.

It's the same bullshit of having Dave and Rose talk about how nobody really has a destiny or a role or arc or anything like that when the facts of the comic itself shows that without all that the characters we see would not exist at all. The game made them to make themselves and created roles and arcs and powers for the kids to get that would let them be able to influence change against forces they'd otherwise be without. Since it's all predetermined they wouldn't have that poo poo if they didn't fit those roles.

And honestly at some point it kind of just feels like the author is floundering in spots here and there. A lot of plot points and arcs and story beats feel dropped for long stretches and then are summarily explained away in short bursts and that makes it seems the writer is just turning into the fact that a lot of poo poo was set up to go one way and then didn't go anywhere. I mean, there's a difference between a twist and just changing the story, which is fine to do but having the characters later just say "Actually we have no arcs, narrative form is dumb" just feels disingenuous at a point.

I agree with everything you've said, but I think it might be intentional.

Also: I think there's a good chance that Lord English is already gone and that he's been replaced with a different big boss that the kids will be completely unprepared to fight and is going to totally wipe them out. This boss will then take over the comic and change it's name to something else. So Homestuck will be over and then the new villain controled comic will start.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I mean I'm sure the dead ghosts of character feel like they were pretty relevant and meaningful. My favorite ones are all the jades that got crushed by a meteor and the infinite different trolls bec just slayed beacuse John died and the scratch never happened. Man those guys are super meaningful and important!

No they're not. They're not important to the comic, or the viewer, or the narrative, or even to themselves. The dream bubbles are nothing but a mish mash of dream and memory where you spend eternity doing nothing but standing around in your own failures and watching other versions of you that got slightly farther but still failed. Hilariously the only ghosts who seemed to have grown as people after they died are Tavros, who's growth is merely a tool for Vriska and Meena to do a thing, and a different Vriska, who lost all ambition and drive and found herself with nobody but another dead ghost who also resigned themselves to not being important or doing things.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I mean I'm sure the dead ghosts of character feel like they were pretty relevant and meaningful. My favorite ones are all the jades that got crushed by a meteor and the infinite different trolls bec just slayed beacuse John died and the scratch never happened. Man those guys are super meaningful and important!

No they're not. They're not important to the comic, or the viewer, or the narrative, or even to themselves. The dream bubbles are nothing but a mish mash of dream and memory where you spend eternity doing nothing but standing around in your own failures and watching other versions of you that got slightly farther but still failed. Hilariously the only ghosts who seemed to have grown as people after they died are Tavros, who's growth is merely a tool for Vriska and Meena to do a thing, and a different Vriska, who lost all ambition and drive and found herself with nobody but another dead ghost who also resigned themselves to not being important or doing things.

i feel like if we're getting to the point of having to explain why it matters that the game over timeline terezi met up with ghost vriska, we should probably all go back to making Equip Arms jokes because higher-level reading comprehension is asking a bit much of us

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Even if it's not important in the grand scheme of things, Homestuck has been a comic where everything keeps getting worse forever with only a vague guarantee everything will turn out okay. Sometimes, little points of brevity and uplifting nothings are needed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
seriously its just a bittersweet little coda for the game over timeline, with a theme of reconciliation between estranged characters. it happened when it did as part of terezi pulling herself out of the pit of self-doubt shes been in since around the time she got dave killed by jack. its not ""important"" to the larger plot except inasmuch as it has relevance to terezis character.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm at a loss as to how to explain that the actual characters shown in the latest Flash were individuals that the comic, the viewer and the narrative did find important and that providing closure on their specific storylines matters both to us as the audience and to Terezi who's struggling with her relationship with Vriska and the pre-Retcon Terezi. This does not happen very often.

Suffice it to say that it was not about the infinite dead trolls except maybe to set the sad, lonely tone. You're probably not meant to move on from the Game Over versions of the characters so seamlessly that seeing them again feels pointless, unless you're literally Rose Lalond.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

Suffice it to say that it was not about the infinite dead trolls except maybe to set the sad, lonely tone. You're probably not meant to move on from the Game Over versions of the characters so seamlessly that seeing them again feels pointless, unless you're literally Rose Lalond.

It's just...I understand what I'm the writer and the comic want me to be feeling about a lot of this. I get that.

But I don't loving care. There's a Time Wizard, A Dog Girl who controls all of space, A Resurrection Witch, (at the time) two spare kernels, and a boy who literally exists outside of the span of continuity in the comic and can make lasting permanent changes on an unfathomable scale at any point that he wants. At some point we've crossed into a scale where the emotions of a few characters who don't exist anymore really doesn't matter to me.

No seriously, John retcons poo poo outside the comic's scope so he's not bound by the laws of Alpha/beta timelines so how the gently caress do that Vriska and Terezi ghosts even exist? Even by the comic rules they should be here anymore. Cause Dream bubbles are for Alpha/beta timeline ghosts and John's actions should have wiped that whole time line away clean.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's just...I understand what I'm the writer and the comic want me to be feeling about a lot of this. I get that.

But I don't loving care. There's a Time Wizard, A Dog Girl who controls all of space, A Resurrection Witch, (at the time) two spare kernels, and a boy who literally exists outside of the span of continuity in the comic and can make lasting permanent changes on an unfathomable scale at any point that he wants. At some point we've crossed into a scale where the emotions of a few characters who don't exist anymore really doesn't matter to me.

No seriously, John retcons poo poo outside the comic's scope so he's not bound by the laws of Alpha/beta timelines so how the gently caress do that Vriska and Terezi ghosts even exist? Even by the comic rules they should be here anymore. Cause Dream bubbles are for Alpha/beta timeline ghosts and John's actions should have wiped that whole time line away clean.

It's a story. Things that have been included in the story "happened" regardless of the rigor and explication of the causal link between them and other events. The page still exists. You haven't been caused to unread it. It's still part of the story and therefore it still matters to it.

Today is a good day to revisit Wizardy Herbert.