Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nerve posted:

Openers just announced for the Acid King show on Chicago. Mother loving YOB and Black Cobra. Amazing.

Woooooo and there is another Yob tour w/Black Cobra.
I'm going to see Yob for a third time and this time I don't have to leave town.
WoooOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nerve posted:

Openers just announced for the Acid King show on Chicago. Mother loving YOB and Black Cobra. Amazing.

Holy poo poo, that's a good lineup right there. I'd love to see all of those bands again, especially Black Cobra as I only caught half of their set - they clashed with Bong so I saw a bit of both.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yob is playing all of The Unreal Never Lived too. Well, I'm there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Woooooo and there is another Yob tour w/Black Cobra.
I'm going to see Yob for a third time and this time I don't have to leave town.
WoooOO!

They're playing here in November :aaa:

Looks like I'll be seeing them for the first time!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a good lineup right there. I'd love to see all of those bands again, especially Black Cobra as I only caught half of their set - they clashed with Bong so I saw a bit of both.

Agreed. Black cobra rules, cant wait for a new album.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2015

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Lee Dorrian (Cathedral), Mark Greening and Tom Bagshaw (ex-Electric Wizard) have got together as With The Dead and have an LP coming out in October. Wonder if they'll be at Roadburn, with Lee curating next year?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yob is playing all of The Unreal Never Lived too. Well, I'm there.

This is a dagger through my heart. I listened to this album two times through literally today. They aren't even going to Georgia, let alone to loving Florida. Come on Mike, I thought you were cool...

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Henchman of Santa posted:

High on Fire is one of the most consistent bands in the world so it's always weird to me when people are adamant about their best and worst.

Yeah, the worst High On Fire album is better than like 95% of the stuff that gets posted in this thread. Matt Pike gets all the attention, but Des is one of the greatest drummers alive today, and Jeff is no slouch on bass.

I just had to listen to "The Yeti" again after writing that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6S25Sx8Um0

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, the worst High On Fire album is better than like 95% of the stuff that gets posted in this thread.

:monocle:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, the worst High On Fire album is better than like 95% of the stuff that gets posted in this thread. Matt Pike gets all the attention, but Des is one of the greatest drummers alive today, and Jeff is no slouch on bass.

I just had to listen to "The Yeti" again after writing that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6S25Sx8Um0

I discovered High on Fire with Blessed Black Wings, and part of why I got into it was because of the drumming. It never feels wanky but they're right in your face and they're loving pounding.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Return to Nod has to be my favorite HoF song. So loving heavy!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Yess, I got Chelsea Wolfe tickets for DC :byodame:

Hopefully I'm in town for Kylesa.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
If you listen to the drums on No Sleep Till Hammersmith you can really hear where the drummer for High On Fire is coming from.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

motherfucking Down tonight.. shame I wasn't born early enough to see Anselmo with Pantera, but this is gonna kick all kinds of rear end

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
You lucky ducks on the other side of the country get Thou/The Body doing their collaboration stuff coming up in a few months (there's a few dates in there minus The Body).

10.15.15 - Tucson at 191 Toole at Southwest Terror Fest with Heat Dust, In the Company of Serpents, Dead to a Dying World, Abstractor, Hanta, Gale, Methra // David

10.16.15 - Albuquerque with Heat Dust // Daniel

10.17.15 - Colorado Springs (MATINEE, solo set, NO BODY) at Flux Capacitor (3530 N. Chelton Loop) at four pm with Heat Dust and Alone // Sean

10.17.15 - Denver at Glob (3551 Brighton Blvd.) at nine pm with Heat Dust, Echo Beds, Blood Incantation, and Vermin Womb // Ethan

10.18.15 - Salt Lake City at Kilby Court (750 Kilby Court) at seven pm with Heat Dust and Sub Rosa // Jesse & Jon

10.19.15 - Reno with Heat Dust // Johnny

10.19.15 - Chico (LATE NIGHT SHOW, solo set, NO BODY) with Heat Dust

10.20.15 - Portland at Blackwater with Heat Dust // Michelle

10.21.15 - Seattle with Heat Dust, Negative Standards, and Dreamdecay // Justin

10.22.15 - Seattle (MATINEE) at KEXP at three pm with Heat Dust // Tanner

10.22.15 - Olympia at Palace Flophouse with Heat Dust, Gag, and Eos // Alex

10.23.15 - Portland (MATINEE, solo sets) at Anarre with Heat Dust and Hreinn // Michelle

10.23.15 - Salem at Wisp House (805 Church Street) with Heat Dust, Hell, and Blood Incantation // Asa

10.24.15 - Ashland (MATINEE, solo set, NO BODY) at Club 66 (1951 Ashland Street) at noon with Heat Dust, Hermits, and Claire Burgess // James

10.24.15 - Eureka at the Vet's Hall (1018 H Street) at seven pm with Heat Dust // Paul

10.25.15 - Santa Rosa (MATINEE, solo set, NO BODY) with Heat Dust // Valentina Vargas

10.25.15 - Berkeley at 924 Gilman Street with Heat Dust and Ragana // Will

10.26.15 - Santa Cruz (MATINEE, solo set, NO BODY) at Cafe Pergolesi with Heat Dust // Nils

10.26.15 - Oakland at the Metro (630 3rd Street) at eight pm with Heat Dust, No Statik, and SBSM // Will

10.27.15 - Oakland at 1234Go! Records (MATINEE, solo set, NO BODY) with Heat Dust // Pat Libby

10.27.15 - Sacramento at The Colony (3512 Stockton Blvd) at eight pm with Heat Dust, Gehenna, and Theories // Chris Lemos

10.28.15 - San Luis Obispo at SLO Grange (2880 Broad Street) at seven pm with Heat Dust, Hollow Sunshine, and Leucrota // Eric

10.29.15 - Santa Barbara (MATINEE, solo set, NO BODY) with Heat Dust

10.29.15 - Ventura with Catharsis and Heat Dust // Ryan San Martin

10.30.15 - San Diego with Catharsis, Heat Dust, and Trash Axis // Blaine

10.31.15 - Los Angeles with Catharsis, Heat Dust, and Full of Hell // Ryan San Martin

11.01.15 - Orange County at the Observatory Theater at Day of the Shred Fest // Evan

11.01.15 - Los Angeles with Catharsis and Heat Dust // Sean Carlson

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

If you listen to the drums on No Sleep Till Hammersmith you can really hear where the drummer for High On Fire is coming from.

Definitely. HoF were massively influenced by Venom as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcl_BHBhhXM

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Down was absolutely sick last night.. and check out Mountain of Wizard, they were great live too, all instrumental stoner stuff

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.
Anybody else going to see Weedeater in Asheville tomorrow night?

seatbeltstrap fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 15, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just got home from seeing hearing witnessing Sunn O))) live. Holy poo poo.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

This Saturday in Providence, RI, Elder will be opening for Earth at the Columbus Theater. I think this is the only date they'll be playing with them. I'll be there. I'm sure some of you dudes will be, too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i am so embarrassed that necronomiCon is a thing

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Shouldn't be surprising, though. I'm not going to that, anyway, just the Earth show.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'll probably go if I'm not working saturday or I can find a buddy to go with.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought this EP.

http://savanah1.bandcamp.com/album/deep-shades

It's pretty good.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.

KozmoNaut posted:

I just bought this EP.

http://savanah1.bandcamp.com/album/deep-shades

It's pretty good.

This owns, thanks! Some sweet riffs in there.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

muike posted:

I'll probably go if I'm not working saturday or I can find a buddy to go with.

Are you familiar with the area around Columbus Theater? Just wondering about the parking situation, whether there's a garage nearby or plenty of street parking?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Detective Thompson posted:

Are you familiar with the area around Columbus Theater? Just wondering about the parking situation, whether there's a garage nearby or plenty of street parking?

Not personally but you basically just have to find a place to park on the street and walk to the theater.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I know Ghost is hit or miss here, but I've been listening to them since 2011 and I'm finally going to see them live when they come to Orlando in October. I'm doubly stoked because Purson is opening for them. I'm also going to try and see Kylesa/Inter Arma since it's two days before. Any other goons going to these shows? I'm gonna be going solo, so it'd be nice to hang out and drink with someone.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

seatbeltstrap posted:

Anybody else going to see Weedeater in Asheville tomorrow night?

I was hoping to make it but Sunday wiped me out. Hope it was fun.
I'll definitely be at Yob in November and at Inter Arma in October.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Polegrinder posted:

I know Ghost is hit or miss here, but I've been listening to them since 2011 and I'm finally going to see them live when they come to Orlando in October.

They were absolutely amazing at Copenhell this year, the new material is solid as hell, and they put a bit more crunch into the old stuff, which was awesome.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

KozmoNaut posted:

They were absolutely amazing at Copenhell this year, the new material is solid as hell, and they put a bit more crunch into the old stuff, which was awesome.

Awesome, I'm glad they play stuff from the first album. I hope they play Elizabeth. And yeah, Meliora is really good.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Nobody should miss a Yob show - get tickets, call out of work, leave your SO at a bus stop, just do whatever to make it. Their show at LPR with Dark Castle is still the best show I've ever been to, and Mike was nice enough to give me a hug and chat right after they'd finished.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im seeing Yob on Saturday night and I am excited as poo poo even though I only really like Adrift in the Ocean and Marrow.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't really know anything about metal but I like Pallbearer and just saw them tonight and they were very good (along with High on Fire who blew me the gently caress away)

What are some good bands that sound like Pallbearer in terms of vocals? That's what puts them over the top for me, I'm a sucker for that kind of high soaring stuff (big reason why I like Mastodon)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

abraham linksys posted:

I don't really know anything about metal but I like Pallbearer and just saw them tonight and they were very good (along with High on Fire who blew me the gently caress away)

What are some good bands that sound like Pallbearer in terms of vocals? That's what puts them over the top for me, I'm a sucker for that kind of high soaring stuff (big reason why I like Mastodon)

Listen to some Candlemass if you want some good doom vocals.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

Khemmis are pretty awesome.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

YOB. Mentioned on this page, Mike Scheidt alternates between high vocals and deep guttural stuff. Also helps that they're really, really good. Though, his high stuff tends towards more... mournful?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

Oh boy, you've got so much good stuff waiting for you.

Let's see, doom metal with clean vocals :)

Scott Reagers era Saint Vitus (Self Titled, Hallow's Victim, Die Healing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEJZsNe2_w

Warning - Watching From a Distance & 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room (probably the best match for Pallbearer. Emotional vocals and great mournful riffs.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esAK9sKeArw

Reverend Bizarre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAmNiN2qoA

There's tons more awesome doom bands but start with those three.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 19, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Pagan Altar maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

Pagan Altar maybe

Granny doom! RIP Terry Jones :(

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 19, 2015