Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Benito Cereno posted:

In case anyone is wondering what the "shocking secret" is: she has a cat head

Whew that answers everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

So I guess that covers everything except why'd she have a cat head.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, what? So Luke effectively murders his apprentice so his robo-girlfriend could have a body? :stare:

Luke is not a very good Jedi. Like, has problems with his emotions not very good Jedi. Like, lashes out in anger, not very good Jedi. You know all those draconian rules the Jedi enforce on themselves about not having emotions, like they're Vulcans with force powers and laser swords? It's because of guys like Luke.

But that's all the former EU and it doesn't matter anymore.

zoux posted:

I think it was some kind of Krypto-Gypsy curse. I think she wanted to know more about Superman so she goes riffling through his space underwear drawer and something there gives her a bad case of cat head.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, what? So Luke effectively murders his apprentice so his robo-girlfriend could have a body? :stare:

No, the student had already vacated the body or something. I've done my best to forget that poo poo, it's loving weird, but it lingers. And oddly enough, I was explaining this exact scenario to a coworker the other day as an example of horrible EU stuff that I'd read in my misspent youth.

The student lady had previously transferred her boyfriend's mind into a robot in an effort to have him live through a fatal disease or something that killed his body but it wasn't really him because SOULS I guess and he kind of wanted to die so he sacrificed himself to do something-or-other (blow up a doomsday ship?) and she went with him but in a way that conveniently left her super hot body untouched and available for the ghost-lady to move into and bang Luke with.

Star Wars, everybody!

(from one of the Tag and Bink comics, forget which)

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

zoux posted:

Well: she doesn't actually have a cat head. She just thinks she has a cat head.

Early in the story, Lois has a car accident while chasing a scoop. When she comes back to work a few days later, she has that lead box around her head, and everyone assumes that it's because of scars from the car accident. But Superman snoops around her apartment and finds in her diary that she was investigating a woman who claimed to be Circe from Greek myth. Circe tricks Lois into drinking a potion that gives her a cat head. Circe is a surprisingly common motif in Silver Age Superman stories--she gives Superman a lion head not once, but twice, and she's key to the hosed up origin of Comet the Super-Horse.

But I digress.

Superman eventually figures out that the Circe in this story is a fake (as opposed to the one in some of the other stories, who was real--and sometimes, but sometimes not, Kryptonian) and breaks open the lead box on Lois's head. And she just has a regular human head. While "Circe" was not a real sorceress, she was a real hypnotist, and had hypnotized Lois into thinking she had a cat head. To make Lois feel better, Superman takes her out to dinner. But then to make her feel way worse, he orders her a saucer of milk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Silver age was loving garbage.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I think you mean loving amazing.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

zoux posted:

You took the wrong lesson from that story, sorry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Traxus IV posted:

(from one of the Tag and Bink comics, forget which)

That's from Tag and Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace, where they're Jedi apprentices who Anakin spared during Order 66 because they'd previously given him relationship advice that helped him score with Padme.

Fun fact: Skippy the Jedi Droid was created by Peter David.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean it's fine to look at and go "haha that sounds ridiculous" but imagine if that's what comics were like today.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"In the Star Wars novel Darksaber"

Hey, we all do things we regret when we're young and dumb, okay?! :(

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Comics today are arguably more ridiculous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Comics today are arguably more ridiculous.

I guess if you describe them in totally reductive terms and ignore all context you could make it look that way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lois Lane witnessed a murder, but the murderer saw Lois. Her life was in danger. The best way to protect her life, thought literally Superman, is to set up this elaborate fat ray accident that turns her into a fat person. She is not recognized by the murderer and is only put in danger when she walks in front of a fun house mirror that makes her look thin. The murderer happens to be there at the same time and sees this and almost kills her but Superman has been following her around to protect her.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zoux posted:

I mean it's fine to look at and go "haha that sounds ridiculous" but imagine if that's what comics were like today.

People might actually enjoy reading them

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

redbackground posted:

And probably easier to read what with the printing quality of the day (I could see it looking like RZ half the time.)

Those weren't just old comics, they were actually newspaper strips.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yes, and apart from some archaic ideas about body image etc, that story is beautifully drawn and hilarious. I do not see what the problem is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Yes, and apart from some archaic ideas about body image etc, that story is beautifully drawn and hilarious. I do not see what the problem is.

I mean besides the fact that the whole premise is so everyone can make fat jokes about Lois Lane including Superman (who could've skipped the fat ray part of his plot and just stuck to the "follow Lois around" part).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Or just asked her what the murderer looked like and then left her in protective custody at the local precinct for the five minutes it'd take for him to find the perpetrator.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean how many pages and pages of arguments do we have in this forum about who Superman is or isn't as a character and how he's supposed to be this idealized version of humanity and in the entire Silver Age he was basically a huge rear end in a top hat and everyone is like "YES YES MORE MORE".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or just stopped the murder in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Silver Age Superman was so powerful that he could only stave off boredom by doing everything as circuitously as possible.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I love old timey ideas of what fat used to be.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zoux posted:

I mean how many pages and pages of arguments do we have in this forum about who Superman is or isn't as a character and how he's supposed to be this idealized version of humanity and in the entire Silver Age he was basically a huge rear end in a top hat and everyone is like "YES YES MORE MORE".

You know, you could probably trace Silver Age Superman back to the old trickster god myths

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VanSandman posted:

I love old timey ideas of what fat used to be.

Yeah, I mean, she's positively svelte by contemporary standards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the particular Lois is fat story, Superman is carrying her around and acting like he doesn't know who she is, and he's all "Geez lady, the girl I normally carry around weighs like half of what you do" and all acting short of breath and poo poo. Not Cool Man.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The crucial question for me is whether I'd be willing to pay the equivalent of modern comic book prices for the content of the Silver Age books. In my case, the answer is no, but then again I haven't routinely purchased comics in years for the same reasons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hearing people describe the ridiculousness of silver age stories is always more fun than actually reading them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zoux posted:

For the same reason that people have arguments over who Batman is while still clamoring for Batman '66 - because people are able to differentiate between a serious story detailing a character with certain qualities and a farcical story using established characters to enhance the farce.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Benito Cereno posted:

Excuse me, she thinks she has a cat head. That's completely different!

Edit: Nuts, I had this thread open waaaaay too long.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

For the same reason that people have arguments over who Batman is while still clamoring for Batman '66 - because people are able to differentiate between a serious story detailing a character with certain qualities and a farcical story using established characters to enhance the farce.

I also hate Batman '66 :twisted:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

In the particular Lois is fat story, Superman is carrying her around and acting like he doesn't know who she is, and he's all "Geez lady, the girl I normally carry around weighs like half of what you do" and all acting short of breath and poo poo. Not Cool Man.

Don't forget the reveal that Lois is fat because Superman secretly had her shot with a weird growth ray so she wouldn't be recognised by a mafia hitman.

In other words, Superman knew it was Lois all along.

Because he forced her to magically become fat without her knowledge or consent.

And proceeds to treat her like poo poo because she is fat.

Silver Age!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Benito Cereno posted:

the "shocking secret" is: she has a cat head

I am very disappointed that nobody made a Schrödinger joke. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I also hate Batman '66 :twisted:

What don't you like about it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nyeehg posted:

Don't forget the reveal that Lois is fat because Superman secretly had her shot with a weird growth ray so she wouldn't be recognised by a mafia hitman.

In other words, Superman knew it was Lois all along.

Because he forced her to magically become fat without her knowledge or consent.

And proceeds to treat her like poo poo because she is fat.

Silver Age!

Kryptonian Pick-Up artistry is fuckin weird man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What don't you like about it?

Oh I despise camp.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Hearing people describe the ridiculousness of silver age stories is always more fun than actually reading them

Agreed. I would much rather read a synopsis of the madness within and then let my brain fill in the gaps than actually read the story. The only really old comics that are good to read are, as always, Spidey Super Stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My favorite parts are always the covers. They're like Far Side cartoons that also happen to star Superman.