Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It only stops whenever she has to slaughter a hundred hobos.

Mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fair enough, I mean by now (2.5h in) I'm mostly anticipating how she can fail to brace herself this time. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zedd posted:

Fair enough, I mean by now (2.5h in) I'm mostly anticipating how she can fail to brace herself this time. :v:

She'll brace herself on a stick of rebar.

...through her stomach.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

Speaking of Splinter Cell Blacklist, I've been playing through it and once you rescue/kidnap Kobin he has some black market weapons that he can sell you (if you invest in it). Anyone know if these are just loud assault weapons, or is there anything stealth-friendly in the mix?

Pretty much all his stuff is for people playing Assault who want to roll around blasting people with a Desert Eagle and a AK. IIRC the only stealth guns he has are the PM pistol and a VSS suppressed carbine.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Drifter posted:

She'll brace herself on a stick of rebar.

...through her stomach.

I had tree through the throat a handful of times.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

I had tree through the throat a handful of times.
It's alright, new Lara apparently has a healing factor that'll put Wolverine to shame.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

sauer kraut posted:

Is Dead State: Reanimated not poo poo now, or another abandoned kickstarter?

I gave it a shot for about 3 hours the other day after picking it up in some sale or another.

It's not very good at all regardless of being an abandoned game or whatever.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's alright, new Lara apparently has a healing factor that'll put Wolverine to shame.
Do they push "realism" as part of the marketing for that game or something? Because everything about gameplay/story integration feels just as videogamey as the old games.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ImpAtom posted:

Nnnnope. Tomb Raider 2014 is basically Lara Croft Falls Down A Lot Of Things: The Game.

Isn't that the game where she can fly by jumping at the ground and missing

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

HGH posted:

Do they push "realism" as part of the marketing for that game or something? Because everything about gameplay/story integration feels just as videogamey as the old games.
People still expect regenerating health to be explained? I thought everyone just accepted it these days. It's no different from BJ Blazowicz eating some Nazi chicken dinner and healing up gunshot wounds.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah, its not realism it was just trying way too hard to be grim and gritty.

It is interesting though that Tomb Raider 2013 was originally going to be a straight up survival horror game.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Pretty sure Fallout 4 will just be Skyrim with guns.

Which is a good thing because melee combat in Skyrim is really painfully bad

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Krowley posted:

Uh what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Speaking of they really need to change like, everything about the Fallout gunplay.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Speaking of they really need to change like, everything about the Fallout gunplay.

They have from what I've seen.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
VATS is slo-mo now instead of freezing time.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

They have from what I've seen.

Well then between that and the nice post-Skyrim environments I don't see why anyone thinks Fallout won't be pretty fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zedd posted:

So I've been playing Tomb Raider (the new one) and it's pretty drat fun!
Do they ever stop making Lara crash into things, falling down or otherwise hurting her tho. :v:

ha i just started playing this on ps3 this weekend. it's lara croft torture simulator 2013 by way of nathan drake. just got to the beach after the helicopter crash. i dont know why im spoilering that since she says its going to happen from the second she hears it but whatever. it's had way fewer bullshit shooting gallery sections than uncharted which is nice and i like upgrading the guns. burning poo poo with flame arrows is fun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Sober posted:

People still expect regenerating health to be explained? I thought everyone just accepted it these days. It's no different from BJ Blazowicz eating some Nazi chicken dinner and healing up gunshot wounds.
I wasn't talking about gameplay regeneration but instead of Lara constantly falling several metres, taking a rebar piece straight through the gut and keep on trucking without any greater problems during the plot. I understand that the developers and writers went for the whole "birth of a survivor" angle for the plot but it simply end up being ridicoulus.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there is one part where you need to get a first aid kit for her and she cant climb up poo poo in the meantime. but then iirc the kit was empty and she's fine afterwards anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh right she finds the lighter there and cauterizes the wound with an arrow lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

VATS is slo-mo now instead of freezing time.

Where's the goon who complained that VATS ruined the Fallout experience, and when people told him "uh, just don't use it then" he pitched a hissy fit about how it was the principle of the thing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Lara ends up in pools of raw sewage and rotting entrails like multiple times in the game while sporting gaping wounds. Luckily there is now a cure for Hepatitis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Lara ends up in pools of raw sewage and rotting entrails like multiple times in the game while sporting gaping wounds. Luckily there is now a cure for Hepatitis.

There is specifically a scene where she has to crawl through sewage with a gaping wound in her stomach. You in fact have to do so to get the thing to help close the wound, so it isn't even a case of going "Well, gameplay and story segregation..."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I died to the wolf cave qte a dozen times so I was pretty much desensitized to the happenings of the rest of the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Krowley posted:

I'm just gonna attack this dragon with a couple of feather dusters.

pentyne posted:

Where's the goon who complained that VATS ruined the Fallout experience, and when people told him "uh, just don't use it then" he pitched a hissy fit about how it was the principle of the thing.

I do appreciate how New Vegas made VATS more of an option than a necessity though.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

Worked for rambo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the gunpowder cauterization is still much cooler than the warm arrow imo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty okay with VATS, but if you tried to opt out of it in 3 you'd be in for a pretty painful experience. So someone doesn't like it at all, telling them to not use it as if they have no right to complain is a pretty dumb thing to do.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

the gunpowder cauterization is still much cooler than the warm arrow imo

well yeah rambo is cooler than lara croft, but...lara shouldn't feel bad about that, you know? it's a tough bar to cross

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm pretty okay with VATS, but if you tried to opt out of it in 3 you'd be in for a pretty painful experience. So someone doesn't like it at all, telling them to not use it as if they have no right to complain is a pretty dumb thing to do.

Nah, VATS is genuinely not that important. It's more useful to use it than not but you can skip it and not really have much trouble.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, VATS is genuinely not that important. It's more useful to use it than not but you can skip it and not really have much trouble.

If you were on PC, there were mods to help with that as well. Of course with Bethesda games, PC is always the way to go. That said, I thought Fallout 3 and New Vegas were both pretty great games, with Fallout 3 edging out in atmosphere and NV having much better writing quality. For me though after Morrowind, Bethesda games are there to mess around with stuff, exploring side stories and fighting 100-150 mod install orders :P. Getting Fallout 4 day one. :P

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
VATS pretty much makes clear that new Fallout's combat isn't very good or fun and needs a crutch to get it over with faster.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think the only time I extensively used VATS in 3 was when I was doing a sneaky-punchy run through because it essentially gave me a short distance teleport that ended with their face flying off.

Otherwise I really just used it as a "point the camera at whoever is shooting me" button.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Everything I've heard about the Tomb Raider reboot makes me wonder what the writers would do if they got to work on an Indiana Jones movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

VATS pretty much makes clear that new Fallout's combat isn't very good or fun and needs a crutch to get it over with faster.

The dark secret is that classic Fallout's combat actually wasn't very good or fun either, which is why beelining for power armor or otherwise breaking the game actually made it more fun.

I would like Fallout 4 to have fun combat but I don't hold my breath.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ImpAtom posted:

There is specifically a scene where she has to crawl through sewage with a gaping would in her stomach. You in fact have to do so to get the thing to help close the wound, so it isn't even a case of going "Well, gameplay and story segregation..."
There should be a Surgeon Simulator DLC for Tomb Raider for all those "just patching my death wound a bit here" segments.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Palpek posted:

There should be a Surgeon Simulator DLC for Tomb Raider for all those "just patching my death wound a bit here" segments.
It's called Robinson's Requiem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Well then between that and the nice post-Skyrim environments I don't see why anyone thinks Fallout won't be pretty fun.

A big mostly empty map full of the same enemies that are in every fallout game, a bland or nonsensical story, and countless other design choices could have an impact

You can have the prettiest environments and the best gunplay in the world and still make a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

Everything I've heard about the Tomb Raider reboot makes me wonder what the writers would do if they got to work on an Indiana Jones movie.

the same but instead of indy just deftly dodging the spinning death disks you are treated to a black&white scene where he imagines what it would be like if he was brutally murdered by them first

• Locked thread