Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How much poise should I be aiming for? I wear a full set of Heide, but I'm getting stunlocked even against players that have stupid little knives. I thought that armor would be heavy enough, but I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Node posted:

How much poise should I be aiming for? I wear a full set of Heide, but I'm getting stunlocked even against players that have stupid little knives. I thought that armor would be heavy enough, but I guess not.

You need a lot of poise to tank through even a small hit. In general, it's not worth trying to poisetank through something unless you're using an ultra greatsword/greataxe/great club; those weapons give you hyper poise during most of the attack animations, wherein you only take half the poise damage you normally would.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Its time for some cosplay.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, I've seen a lot of DS cosplay online and even saw a Solaire and a Dusk in person at Magfest a couple years back but I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a Giantdad.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, I've seen a lot of DS cosplay online and even saw a Solaire and a Dusk in person at Magfest a couple years back but I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a Giantdad.

They're out there is you go looking at the dark souls tag on tumblr*. I saw one recently.

*don't do this on a regular basis, it will make you insane

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

(complete with grass crest shield)

Also, a capra demon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ha, well there you go. That zweihander is enormous. :stare:

Capra's really well done there too! I like the led eyes.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, weapons in the souls universe are loving huge, I'd like to have that Plastic or whatever is made of Zweihander on my mancave :shepface:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Well, weapons in the souls universe are loving huge, I'd like to have that Plastic or whatever is made of Zweihander on my mancave :shepface:

Zweihanders are actual weapons and are very long in reality

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wikipedia posted:

Due to their size and weight—typically at least 1.4 m (4 ft 71⁄8 in) long and with a weight of over 2 kg—Zweihänders require two hands; as such they require at least 25 cm (9.84 in) for the grip.[3] Zweihänders above 4 kg are considered to be more ceremonial than practical.

Looks like they weren't just huge, but also practical apparently according to the wikipedia article.

quote:

Frisian hero Pier Gerlofs Donia is reputed to have wielded a Zweihänder with such skill, strength and efficiency that he managed to behead several people with it in a single blow. The Zweihänder ascribed to him is, as of 2008, on display in the Frisian museum. It has a length of 213 cm (84 in) and a weight of about 6.6 kg (141⁄2 lb).

:stare:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I was really hoping it'd be an actual Giantdad with his kid with him.

I loving love this.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ekster posted:

Looks like they weren't just huge, but also practical apparently according to the wikipedia article.

They were pretty good for using with a Mordschlag technique, too. Can't quite cut through someone's armor? Punch through it instead!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is amazing.

You could say it's real fuckin' Nito.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

Jesus, I thought they were used as an anti-cavalry weapon. People used them in direct combat? :psyduck:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Jesus, I thought they were used as an anti-cavalry weapon. People used them in direct combat? :psyduck:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelsöldner

Yep! Swung by men in fabulous tights and hats.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 17, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
God almighty, Giantdad's not the reckless cookie cutter fantasy I thought it was.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"What art thou, a peasant?"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fabulous tights being the clothes they stripped from the people they killed in combat. Also they had only the finest codpieces.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hahaha, From intentionally put a crystal lizard in Tseldora that's just close enough in range to lock on and fire at with a spell, and also just close enough to the ledge that if you do so you fall off and die.

e: what do you mean the loyce greatsword takes twinkling titanite and not dragon bone I put all of that into the ice rapier noooooo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2015

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Idk even in PvE (ultra/curved) greatswords show their superiority against most greataxes and greathammers due to the large sweeping one handed attacks. They're basically like a broom; a couple of sweeps and trash mobs are gone. The 2 handed attacks usually have some good clobbering power when needed,

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Hahaha, From intentionally put a crystal lizard in Tseldora that's just close enough in range to lock on and fire at with a spell, and also just close enough to the ledge that if you do so you fall off and die.

e: what do you mean the loyce greatsword takes twinkling titanite and not dragon bone I put all of that into the ice rapier noooooo

Petrified dragon bones go into boss soul weapons; twinkling titanite goes into special weapons

Is it not a special weapon you find out in the world?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Petrified dragon bones go into boss soul weapons; twinkling titanite goes into special weapons

Is it not a special weapon you find out in the world?

You get the Loyce Greatsword (and shield) from the Frigid Outskirts bosses' souls! The Ivory Straight Sword from Aava's soul uses bones, though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That is weird then. Maybe it was an oversight? Or maybe someone just wanted to dick with people that didn't think to check since why would this one thing be different?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Safety Scissors posted:

Idk even in PvE (ultra/curved) greatswords show their superiority against most greataxes and greathammers due to the large sweeping one handed attacks. They're basically like a broom; a couple of sweeps and trash mobs are gone. The 2 handed attacks usually have some good clobbering power when needed,

The real advantage of those big sweeping hits is that you're able to manually change direction mid-swing. In many cases this lets you swing in an arc as wide as 270 degrees.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

That is weird then. Maybe it was an oversight? Or maybe someone just wanted to dick with people that didn't think to check since why would this one thing be different?

The Blue Smelter Sword isn't twinkling too is it? Maybe the optional bosses just don't count.

Also man, pvp was great today until it hit 9. Then I met my first hacker and it went downhill from there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I looked it up just now and the Aged Smelter Sword needs dragon bones. Weird!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

You need a lot of poise to tank through even a small hit. In general, it's not worth trying to poisetank through something unless you're using an ultra greatsword/greataxe/great club; those weapons give you hyper poise during most of the attack animations, wherein you only take half the poise damage you normally would.

Well I could be hit at least five times with this dagger before I could roll. It seemed silly. I expect to be stunned by something medium or large when wearing Heide gear, but I guess that is wrong? How much poise would I need to be able to tank through one swing of a longsword?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Zweihanders are actual weapons and are very long in reality

I really want to see this used in a battle. That thing is enormous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Node posted:

Well I could be hit at least five times with this dagger before I could roll. It seemed silly. I expect to be stunned by something medium or large when wearing Heide gear, but I guess that is wrong? How much poise would I need to be able to tank through one swing of a longsword?

This link explains how poise works, basically each weapon type (and sometimes individual weapons) have their own breakpoints for tanking one hit from a certain attack.

With 60 poise some guy tonight hit me with a curved sword six or seven times straight until I died. He broke my poise on the first hit and I couldn't recover or act after it. gently caress that sword.

e: It was the Warped Sword.

e: I'm also back to the point where bell invading doesn't happen anymore. :(

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 18, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've been working on getting 30 medals to max out my Sunbro covenant and just ran into a problem. I'm sure it's been discussed and whined about for over a year now but I loving hate soul memory. I didn't realize it went up simply when you gained souls, I thought it was when you spent them. Since I've defeated 15 bosses, and not spent any of those souls, I've gone up a soul bracket/tier, and now I'm never getting summoned in Drangleic Castle King's Gate. I don't know if I can ever get those remaining 15 medals.

I'm sure this argument has been done to death, but this is really goddamn stupid.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The general rule of thumb is that every weapon does at least 3x as much poise damage as it claims to, and the number's increased even more if they 2-hand it or use heavy attacks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh come on. The one time a Forlorn invades me, it's in the ghost room in Shulva so I die before I even see the Forlorn. I hate Shulva so much.

e: But I love the Sinh fight!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Node posted:

I've been working on getting 30 medals to max out my Sunbro covenant and just ran into a problem. I'm sure it's been discussed and whined about for over a year now but I loving hate soul memory. I didn't realize it went up simply when you gained souls, I thought it was when you spent them. Since I've defeated 15 bosses, and not spent any of those souls, I've gone up a soul bracket/tier, and now I'm never getting summoned in Drangleic Castle King's Gate. I don't know if I can ever get those remaining 15 medals.

I'm sure this argument has been done to death, but this is really goddamn stupid.

You'll be fine one you hit NG+. The soul memory tiers broaden dramatically when you hit one million SM as well.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Node posted:

I ran into this problem tonight and had to farm the last few sunlight medals from NPCs. If you join the Covenant of Champions, npcs will never stop spawning no matter how many you kill. There's a group of 5 falconers between the Ruined Fork Road and the Shrine of Winter in the Shaded Woods that have a chance to drop medals. It's a pretty low chance though (probably like 1%).

Alternately, you could try DLC bosses.

And yeah, Soul Memory sucks. I just want to engage in jolly cooperation :negative:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The way the soul memory brackets work tends to create dead zones where you're too high to co-op with people doing their first run and too low to encounter NG+ and beyond. Generally the only solution to this is to just get more souls until you reach another populated bracket. It's not a good solution, but I'd say it's better than endlessly farming falconers.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

This link explains how poise works, basically each weapon type (and sometimes individual weapons) have their own breakpoints for tanking one hit from a certain attack.

With 60 poise some guy tonight hit me with a curved sword six or seven times straight until I died. He broke my poise on the first hit and I couldn't recover or act after it. gently caress that sword.

e: It was the Warped Sword.

e: I'm also back to the point where bell invading doesn't happen anymore. :(

Out of curiousity, were you on the Iron Bridge and was this person also holding Pate's Spear? I saw a few goony names tonight I thought.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVWY7bgVrFI

This is great.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought this a few days ago, having not played since release when I got it on PS3. I'm level 60ish now, and I've killed the Giant, the Pursuer, both Heide's Tower bosses, Ruin Sentinels, and the Lost Sinner. In all that time I've only seen one summon sign. Is the population that low, or is it more likely to be network stuff on my end? I remember easily being able to get summons for every single boss back on PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I bought this a few days ago, having not played since release when I got it on PS3. I'm level 60ish now, and I've killed the Giant, the Pursuer, both Heide's Tower bosses, Ruin Sentinels, and the Lost Sinner. In all that time I've only seen one summon sign. Is the population that low, or is it more likely to be network stuff on my end? I remember easily being able to get summons for every single boss back on PS3.

Summons are lower than before, yeah. I don't see them that often.