Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Any transparency sorting fixes you make are going to be slow and then people will want to use THE OLD FAST WAY as an option and you will hang yourself in your closet as the programmer who worked on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Haledjian posted:

Are they ever going to fix transparency sorting though :smith:

Nope. I gave up on that ever happening long ago. :smith:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
gently caress alphas I'm all about each individual piece of hair being geometry with appropriate physics.

Hardware brute force it.

Cmon Nvidia keep at it. (Nvidia Hairworks is the closest thing we have to not having to deal with hair cards, using curves exported from Maya/Max which are MUCH easier to groom than hair cards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQPXpnsdtU

If we're talking glass, well...fake it till u maek it

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 18, 2015

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I have a bit of an odd question: my 3D work is getting fairly decent and I'm becoming pretty comfortable with Maya / ZBrush / Maxwell / etc etc. That being said, it's becoming increasingly clear that in order to get much better, I need to learn how to actually draw. I honestly cannot draw for poo poo. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking some boring rear end art class somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions how to learn something so basic, ideally somewhat quickly, so that I can hopefully get a bit better with the other higher-level 3D work?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Pathos posted:

I have a bit of an odd question: my 3D work is getting fairly decent and I'm becoming pretty comfortable with Maya / ZBrush / Maxwell / etc etc. That being said, it's becoming increasingly clear that in order to get much better, I need to learn how to actually draw. I honestly cannot draw for poo poo. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking some boring rear end art class somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions how to learn something so basic, ideally somewhat quickly, so that I can hopefully get a bit better with the other higher-level 3D work?

You don't need to know how to draw to be good at 3D, but it definitely helps. You can probably find some classes at a local community college for fairly decent prices. A lot of those figure study instructors are actually pretty decent artists.

That being said, if you want to get good at 3D, study the topic you want to get better at. Environments? Study architecture. Characters? Study Anatomy. Animation? Study the principles of animation. Most importantly, study the people's work you see online that are in a position you want to be in. The best way to judge whether or not you're ready to make a living out of it, or where skill-wise you need to get yourself, is to compare what you're doing with what the industry standard is doing. And to not be intimidated by it but to study it closely.

But by far the most important thing is to PRACTICE. If you're not doing, and you're not learning, you're not progressing. The best way I've found to learn is to DO STUFF with what I learn, don't sit around watching years of video tutorials. Watch a little bit, open up whatever program, gather reference, and just start DOING poo poo.

There are many complimentary skills you need to understand to get really good at 3D. Lighting, composition, color theory, shapes, value, contrast, movement, focus. It's literally endless (and I'm not going to try and list them all), but there's so many resources out there for free online that you can learn almost any of those with even a quick youtube search.

Hell, there are even youtubes dedicated to figure drawing and 30-minute poses. It's not as tactile as seeing them in person but hey, it's free, and if you take it seriously you'll get just as much out of it as you would a crappy class.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 18, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Are there any useful hobbyist tutorials or training for the Nvidia hair tech? Or do I have to be a company to license it in order to get help learning it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man I love Substance Designer/Painter but goddamn I wish they werent so crash happy.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

mutata posted:

Are there any useful hobbyist tutorials or training for the Nvidia hair tech? Or do I have to be a company to license it in order to get help learning it?

https://developer.nvidia.com/hairworks-tutorials

just download it

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

I made another robot lady. It's a lot better than my last one butstillshit3dishardfuck

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Marmoset Toolbag 2 is available on Steam for a decent discount.

Looks like it's a much better deal if you are in Canadaland.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 19, 2015

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Alternatively UE4 is available for free, and offers many of the same features (albeit a bit more complicated)

If you're building a folio of assets, go Marmoset. If you're an environment guy or a professional, go UE4.

Either way having both is a really good idea for artists.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

ceebee posted:

Alternatively UE4 is available for free, and offers many of the same features (albeit a bit more complicated)

If you're building a folio of assets, go Marmoset. If you're an environment guy or a professional, go UE4.

Does UE4 have a viewer that you can embed in websites like Marmoset? I've started using Sketchfab for some stuff but it would be super good to be able to make my own webpages, I've never looked at Marmoset before but the info on their viewer looks like it would be good for my purposes.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ceebee posted:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?55010-Free-Asset-Showcase-Blueprint-(-showcase-your-models-with-ease-)

this basically replicates a toolbag scene in ue4, for free. it isn't as great as tb2 but i would be using it if i hadn't already bought tb2

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Toolbag is worth every penny and then some.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

keyframe posted:

This /\

working on modelling James Bonds original gun from the books, still messing with the grips though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

keyframe posted:

So is UE4 :smug:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mutata posted:

So is UE4 :smug:

It's way easier to make a good presentation in Toolbag plus it has the web model viewer thingy. :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah that Web viewer is slick. I have ue4 anyway for other things though.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If all you're doing is building a portfolio, Marmoset can get the job done.

But if you want to do a game animation reel, or a real time arch viz portfolio, or flythroughs of vertex painted amazing game environments, anything else that requires more than just geo + texture + shader, then UE4 is pretty amazing.

That being said, I've owned and enjoy Marmoset but have been using it less and less the more I learn UE4.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pathos posted:

I recommend Proko's tutorials for drawing. It's the kind of concrete knowledge only the best industry-focused art schools teach, but in cool video form you can refer to over and over again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ProkoTV

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ccs posted:

I recommend Proko's tutorials for drawing. It's the kind of concrete knowledge only the best industry-focused art schools teach, but in cool video form you can refer to over and over again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ProkoTV

That link is coming up dead.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Listerine posted:

Just search for his name, it'll come up.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Been a while since i posted. Been working on a pair of animations - storyboards are finished, animatic and cameras are ready to present on monday, and we've been building/preparing assets the past couple weeks too.

Here's one - a raw render straight from vray ran through video co pilots optical flares. Had it for 20 minutes so I just opened it and picked a preset, will spend more time getting something appropriate. So far it's a very impressive incredible plugin though.
We have a bigger lead time that usual so we are taking the time to grab every asset that we'll use and go through it's materials one by one, cleaning everything up. cannot wait to see the result at the end :)
Should be going public very soon after completion.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 22, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ Gorgeous. As always! ^^^

Went back to finish an old piece recently.

C&C welcome.

Old: (ZBrush only)

Which is better? Lighter, or darker?

New: (Zbrush + Maya)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 24, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Listerine posted:

Hmm linking to the channel directly doesn't seem to work. Here's one of his videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8K13R36QQ

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
http://variety.com/2015/artisans/news/academy-scientific-technical-awards-contenders-1201576902/

Yay! Mari got nominated for an Oscar. Might have to dust off the Tuxedo.

:)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

forelle posted:

http://variety.com/2015/artisans/news/academy-scientific-technical-awards-contenders-1201576902/

Congratulations man that's amazing!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

forelle posted:

Congrats! well deserved.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Hey forelle since you're here I'm wondering if you've got the skinny on Modo indie. I'm curious about what the major version upgrade path is - will existing owners / subscribers be getting the indie 901 version free, and is it going to include MeshFusion like the full commercial version?

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Cyne posted:

Hey forelle since you're here I'm wondering if you've got the skinny on Modo indie. I'm curious about what the major version upgrade path is - will existing owners / subscribers be getting the indie 901 version free, and is it going to include MeshFusion like the full commercial version?

I'll go see if I can find out for you.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

With a lid.

Really wondering if I should distres the metal more, or simply add more texturing to the character in general.

Here is the final 3d printout for the bust. Next stop will be bronze.

Comparison of the two designs. The one on the right has had an acetone bath, whereas the left has not.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 27, 2015

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

forelle posted:

Congrats man! That's awesome. I've been meaning to try Mari because it looks right up my alley. I'll likely pick it up soon to try it out.

Here's a guy I modeled back in 2013. Decided to learn game res techniques this last week or two, since I was previously clueless.

concept:

decimated high poly:

marmoset viewer with all the game-y stuff:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rift-storm-legion-fan-art

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 27, 2015

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Trying to learn Maya 2015 after having used Blender for a bit. Liking it so far, but I can't really get used to its approach to symmetry modelling: are you supposed to just do half of the model separately and then apply Mirror Cut, or is it possible to get an active preview of the mirrored model somehow?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Trying to learn Maya 2015 after having used Blender for a bit. Liking it so far, but I can't really get used to its approach to symmetry modelling: are you supposed to just do half of the model separately and then apply Mirror Cut, or is it possible to get an active preview of the mirrored model somehow?

Unless Maya has changed dramatically, best option is to cut in half, make an instance and the instance will then update on the fly. After you're done convert the instance into geo, merge, etc.

I have not used Maya in anger for a few years, so it may all be out of date.

PowerStreak
Jun 27, 2005

The day the snow turned to rain?
This is garbage in terms of actual work but I'm learning Cinema 4D to go along with my much, much better After Effects skills so was kicking about with Mograph using base models and materials, using splines for camera work and such, as well as testing my home machine's current render times. I warn you it's kinda poo poo but I have a soft spot for crappy 3D and if you do you might get a minor laugh out of it and the quick music loop I made for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FAnma9Oxn0

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Vlad the Retailer posted:

2015 has the modelling toolkit where you can select a single line on the middle of your model, and then click "symmetry", and it'll do topological symmetry.

This is useful for some minor changes, but usually it's a million times less frustrating to just delete half your model, duplicate special and flip, then re-merging it in one click with Maya's bonus tools when you're done.

Modelling toolkit is pretty hosed up and still needs plenty of work before it's usable. They keep changing the behaviour of which tool you go to with it on and I never know what's going to do what. When you're doing symmetry, any topological change will usually gently caress up the symmetry, and it's easy to not notice when you're focused, so you then do need to delete half the model and do the flippy-merge.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Unless Maya has changed dramatically, best option is to cut in half, make an instance and the instance will then update on the fly. After you're done convert the instance into geo, merge, etc.

I have not used Maya in anger for a few years, so it may all be out of date.

You are way out of date. Modeling got completely revamped in 2016 and is amazing now.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I have also heard 2016 is incredibly unstable. Take that for what you will.

Speaking of bugs. Has anyone else had any problems with Viewport 2.0 crashing in Maya 2015? I worked all day yesterday on files which won't load today and crash immediately on loading. The error given has to do with viewport 2.0. Luckily, the scene seems to load in 2014 without problems. Weird.

PowerStreak: Cinema4d is actually great for motion graphics and VJ work. I wish I knew it as well as I know maya.

SVU Fan: Nice work. Will you be polypainting it?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 28, 2015

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

sigma 6 posted:

I have also heard 2016 is incredibly unstable. Take that for what you will.

It's not. I use it in production every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I heard it from a guy who uses it with zbrush mainly. Part of the complaint was that it didn't play well with GoZ. Either way, most big studios traditionally don't use the newest version of the software. Sony has Autodesk create a special version, just for them, in fact.